-- Official Unofficial 'Ask Questions About Warband Singleplayer Here' Thread --

Users who are viewing this thread

the topic of the most powerful army in native is probably the most discussed on the forums.
Quite simply no such army or setup exists; there have been multiple patches eliminating major differences between the factions so that no single army can reliably beat any other army. Even a mixture between the best elements of each faction is going to be whittled down very quickly on the open field against superior numbers. It just wouldn't be good game design if everyone, regardless of play style, could point to a single unit or army setup and claim that it was undeniably the best.

To answer your question about fleeing armies, the best solution is to wait for your king or similar large party, assuming you're the marshall, and move slowly. It's semi random and sometimes lords will suicidally attack enemies/fail to run away, or break off into little groups and fight weak lords or even villagers.

tl;dr campaign ai is sort of wonky. Keep big armies close to you.

Hi there, two quick questions that are not worth a new thread I suppose :

1) The wiki says that you can increase a town's prosperity with "economic quests". Which are those ? Is delivering wine considered economic ? Or is it only the caravan-related quests ? Is it even true ? I've seen posts saying that you just can't increase "manually" a town's prosperity.

2) Is there any way to access the party screen while waiting for the construction of siege ladders/towers ? What I mean is that if I want to access the party screen I first have to click "abandon the siege" which resets the construction timer (and the food timer of the target castle/town, but that doesn't matter because I've never seen an actual siege last more than a week in-game)... so this means I can't level-up my soldiers who got experience during the construction. It's especially annoying with towers since they will always last at least one complete day... thus triggering at least one "tick" of the Trainer ability.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know about the first question, but to your second question, there's literally nothing you can do during sieges. The siege menu is sort of broken in that you can never leave or do anything without the food in the castle/town being replenished. In fact you're likely to have starved several times over before you even capture the castle.
Siege engines are also kind of silly, not only in build time for ladders, but just like the food meter, it will reset if you leave or retreat from a phase of battle during the siege.
I don't even think it's possible to starve out defenders without cheating. It sure as hell isn't practical.

Wendek said:
Hi there, two quick questions that are not worth a new thread I suppose :

1) The wiki says that you can increase a town's prosperity with "economic quests". Which are those ? Is delivering wine considered economic ? Or is it only the caravan-related quests ? Is it even true ? I've seen posts saying that you just can't increase "manually" a town's prosperity.

2) Is there any way to access the party screen while waiting for the construction of siege ladders/towers ? What I mean is that if I want to access the party screen I first have to click "abandon the siege" which resets the construction timer (and the food timer of the target castle/town, but that doesn't matter because I've never seen an actual siege last more than a week in-game)... so this means I can't level-up my soldiers who got experience during the construction. It's especially annoying with towers since they will always last at least one complete day... thus triggering at least one "tick" of the Trainer ability.

Thanks in advance.

1.  The most effective way to increase a town's prosperity is unfortunately the hardest to control: keep fighting away from the town--and its villages--as much as possible.  Town prosperity depends on its villages's prosperity.  If they're getting raided all the time, that's a problem.  Farmers and caravans also need to be able to visit the town as much as possible, which is impossible if enemy troops are scaring them away from the town or attacking them.  No amount of "wine delivery" quests will make up for enemy raids.  The best thing you can do is consolidate your kingdom around the town in question; as you move on to conquer new territory farther away from the town, the focus of the fighting will move away from it as well.  There are some towns that are able to keep high prosperity despite their villages getting raided all the time; I find that Narra and Uxkhal fall into this category in most games, although not in all.

2. No, there is no way to level up your soldiers during the building phase of the siege.  To starve a garrison out, once the ladders/siege engines are built, you are asked whether to attack right away or postpone the attack until the next day.  Just keep postponing your attack.  Needless to say, this is highly impractical and gives the enemy plenty of time to come break your siege, but occasionally is worth it for certain hard-to-siege castles.

It also helps to keep the villager's travel routes free of bandits and deserters.  As an experiment, I camped and observed a group of villagers go around and around in circles trying to avoid bandits.  What would have normally been an hour's travel took two days!  You can imagine the impact that has if they can't get their goods to market.  Less goods for sale in town and no money for their village.  In one of my current games, I'm a vassal of the Sarranids.  I made it a point to camp out directly over the Desert Bandit's Hideout and clobber each and every group of bandits that returned to get supplies.  In three days, I had practically eliminated all of the desert bandits and most of the deserters that plagued Ahmerrad, Barriye, Durquba and Shariz.  I was given Durquba by Sultan Hakim after I recaptured it from the Khergits.  It's prosperity jumped from Struggling to Very Rich very quickly.  I haven't checked the surrounding villages but I'm almost certain that their prosperity also rose.  The only annoying game dynamic is the frequent "Bandit Infestations" that strike the villages especially the Prosperous or Rich ones.  Does anyone know if having watchtowers and messenger posts eliminate this annoyance?

jacobhinds said:
no, bandit infestations are completely random. every 72 hours i think there's a 2% chance that a village will get infested.

And that is probably my only complaint about how the game's A.I. is set up.  Imagine how illogical that would be given that I've eliminated ALL of the mobile bandits in the surrounding area.  Just wish there was a mod that allowed you to garrison a small number of troops in the village to ward off infestations instead of the totally useless "Build a Manor" improvement.  I mean how often does anyone even stay at a village overnight except to train peasants (Train the Peasants Quest) ?

Yeah okay, thanks for the answers. Halmar should be "away from the fighting" a bit now since we've taken Uxkhal from the Rhodoks (who've had it for most of the game... Swadia's been struggling with two towns for a long time) so I suppose they will focus on it instead.

Got some questions concerning kingdom fighting.

As a vassal is there any (other?) way to persuade peace towards your king or the enemy's king?
How damaging is it to decline fief offers and being Marshall? I tend to ignore other fiefs and just ask for towns.
When recruiting lords, is there any benefit to recruiting anyone but the "good-natured" lords.
Is there any better ways to beat-down enemy lords? Its annoying to completely wipe them, then have them come seemingly within the same day with another full stacked army. If I catch them I imprison them indefinitely. I don't ever raid fiefs so that may help?
Is quantity the only thing the game calculates for auto-battles/sieges?
What are good skills to raise for your companion vassals and ones to avoid?
Can I get some tips on helping a claimant to the throne? Such as a general run-down on when to rebel, what RP number is good to ask lords to defect with, and a general framework to work from.

Unsung Hero said:
Got some questions concerning kingdom fighting.

As a vassal is there any (other?) way to persuade peace towards your king or the enemy's king?

Not in Native.  Or in Diplomacy, that I can remember--you can convince your king to go to war, but not to make peace.

How damaging is it to decline fief offers and being Marshall? I tend to ignore other fiefs and just ask for towns.

Not damaging at all: I do the same thing.

When recruiting lords, is there any benefit to recruiting anyone but the "good-natured" lords.

The martial, upstanding and good-natured lords tend to be the vassals that need the least managing.  Calculating lords aren't too bad, either.  Quarrelsome and debauched lords are trouble.

Is there any better ways to beat-down enemy lords? Its annoying to completely wipe them, then have them come seemingly within the same day with another full stacked army. If I catch them I imprison them indefinitely. I don't ever raid fiefs so that may help?

The lords may be back at you fairly quickly, but if you check their armies, you'll notice that they've got mostly lower-tier troops: because you keep beating them down, they aren't able to raise top-tier troops.  As for keeping them prisoner, you do lose honor if you keep refusing ransom requests, however, if you can balance out the honor loss (at least to keep it over 300) by doing other things that gain you honor, it's a smart move.  Every lord in prison is one less lord on the field.  The absolute best thing to do is to capture both the king and the marshal: since the king's imprisoned, he can't choose a new one and the kingdom will be flailing, leaderless.

I think so, but I'm not sure about that one.

What are good skills to raise for your companion vassals and ones to avoid?

You mean if you're going to make your companions vassals later on?  Don't bother with prisoner management.  Leadership, pathfinding, tactics, spotting, and trainer are all good skills to raise, but you won't be able to raise all of them and companions will generally lag behind AI lords in several areas, notably army size.  Enough pathfinding, though, and they will move considerably faster.

Can I get some tips on helping a claimant to the throne? Such as a general run-down on when to rebel, what RP number is good to ask lords to defect with, and a general framework to work from.

I'm not all that familiar with this route, having only tried this a couple of times (and never finishing it).  I do know that the claimant's right to rule is considered instead of yours when trying to talk lords into defecting.  Having high honor and high persuade wouldn't hurt, either, and if you use many different reasons to convince lords to defect, they'll accuse you of telling everybody what they want to hear.  Pick one, maybe two reasons and stick with them for everybody.

More than that, I can't say.

Unsung Hero said:
No, their autocalc strength is used which is an obscure mix of their level and skills.
But the thing is Native is that the difference in autocalc between the lowest and highest troops is not that big so it feels as if quantity is the major factor.

I think you improve a village's wealth if you take their grain and cattle quests.  Maybe bandits too.  I'm not sure.

The auto-fight must do something with rank, but I know it doesn't respect swadian knights the way you would if you've ever seen them.

I think you can convince nations to make peace in Native.  The city guildmaster will sometimes give that to you as a quest.  I think you need to go persuade the right people to make peace, but I've never actually done it.

Hello all. I'm new to the forums and have been playing the game for only about a week. My reason for posting is that I have gotten married (had the wonderful wedding scene play and my wife now always refers to me as husband , however, I did not receive any Right to Rule.... Now I was told by her father (Jarl Turya) that after the wedding (held at Curin Castle) there would be a feast to celebrate at Sargoth. The feast has not occured yet as Jarl Turya is now marshal and we are kicking the hell out of Swadia. I'm just wondering if the key to getting my Right to Rule from being married is dependent on the feast that has yet to happen.....

Oh, and one other thing... other then getting married and sending out one's companions to spread the word about my being a good kingly-sort, what other methods are there for increasing one's Right to Rule?

thanks for reading/answering/not flaming

GaemFucious said:
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and have been playing the game for only about a week. My reason for posting is that I have gotten married (had the wonderful wedding scene play and my wife now always refers to me as husband , however, I did not receive any Right to Rule.... Now I was told by her father (Jarl Turya) that after the wedding (held at Curin Castle) there would be a feast to celebrate at Sargoth. The feast has not occured yet as Jarl Turya is now marshal and we are kicking the hell out of Swadia. I'm just wondering if the key to getting my Right to Rule from being married is dependent on the feast that has yet to happen.....

Oh, and one other thing... other then getting married and sending out one's companions to spread the word about my being a good kingly-sort, what other methods are there for increasing one's Right to Rule?

thanks for reading/answering/not flaming
You also get some RtR each time your faction makes peace.

You probably got you RtR from getting married but you did not notice it.  I'm pretty sure it happens when the lady becomes your wife.
The feast is for flavor.  Usually weddings are done at feasts, but sometimes when the quest to get married drags on for too long you just get married on the spot.

Thanks for the response... unfortunately, being member of the Nords seems to mean little to no chance of making peace. They/we just completely wiped the Swadians out... and now it seems the same is about to happen to the Vaegars... At this rate, Nords will own just about everything before I can get my own little kingdom underway.

Also, I checked the report on myself/my character, and it still shows no RtR... I'm just a bit confused on that part of the game. Here's to hoping it shows up later.

Is there a way to improve relations with a lord,because if there is I'm missing it.I'm been trying to improve relations with Lord Gharmall of the Rhodoks,as I'd like to try marrying him at some point in the future,but I can't seem to do anything to improve relations with him. He won't give me quests,as I'm a king, he says that his quests are not suited for me,or something along those lines. The only other solution I can see is to try modding relationship with him,as I'm out of options. Also I'm not very good at tournaments so that's out as well.

Back
Top Bottom