Need help with troop tactics and future guide WIP

Users who are viewing this thread

I am about 500 "days" into this mod and I have learned a lot. I have mainly a Portuguese army since even before I read the prologue I had an idea of having a "pike and shot" army. It is working reasonably well. I use a supplement of ottoman cavalry from the Johor sultanate but they seem to die really quickly. I read that the Johors actually don't have heavy cavalry and since that is what I'm going for does anyone know what the best heavy cavalry (like Swadian Knights or sarranid mamelukes) the Lanna archers are ridiculously overpowered in my opinion, especcially when on horses. They seem to ride up unarmed, then wreck your troop with great accuracy. The other factions are mainly good for infantry but I prefer the Portuguese infantry for their armor, damage, and range but I haven't played around with those factions a lot, to be honest. If anyone can contribute to this and also please answer my question of what is the best heavy cavalry(Swadian knight and sarranid mameluke).

You may have better luck in Taungoo and Ayutthaya. They are like USA and USSR in SEA.
But I preferred Portuguese cavalry, They work well with defense based pike & shot tactic.

The Portuguese are the most heavily armoured. The manipuri are the fastest.
Burmese & siamese are all-round horseman.

Anyway the balance will be changed when elephant were introduced in 1.16 patch.

I think the portuguese infantry are a little op, when versing them with Malay allies the Malays loose like 10 people for every pikeman that dies

I like to use pike and shot tactics as well. I split my musketeers in 2 groups and I like to put them on a hill one behind the other. While the first one reloads, the second one fires. Pikemen at the front, cavalry to engage with the enemy cavalry. I think muskets here are too accurate and reload too fast. Also is the new 1.16 version save compatable with he older versions? It would be nice if add some options such as volley fire and formations like squares, ranks, wedge.

The_Hussar said:
I like to use pike and shot tactics as well. I split my musketeers in 2 groups and I like to put them on a hill one behind the other. While the first one reloads, the second one fires. Pikemen at the front, cavalry to engage with the enemy cavalry. I think muskets here are too accurate and reload too fast. Also is the new 1.16 version save compatable with he older versions? It would be nice if add some options such as volley fire and formations like squares, ranks, wedge.

Hi,

do you mean AUTOMATED volley fire in pre-battle orders? So the men fire in volleys according to their perception of the situation?
That would be absolutely fantastic. Otherwise manually controlled volleys are already possible, aren`t they?

Rgds, Oldtimer

Yes, volley fire like in the Silverstag mod, L'aigle or Caribbean! I mean when all or most of the troops in the unit are ready to fire, they will do so and then without further orders continue to deliver fire. Especially if you split your musketeers in two groups like I described in my previous post, I think it would be quite effective to fire in volleys. Formations would be nice as well.

The_Hussar said:

Hi,

in a historical mod starting 1535 there should not be any muskets at all. They were not invented yet.

Rgds, Oldtimer

Oldtimer said:
The_Hussar said:

Hi,

in a historical mod starting 1535 there should not be any muskets at all. They were not invented yet.

Rgds, Oldtimer
He just made a mistake, there are no muskets in Suvarnabhumi Mahayuth, they are matchlock firearms (arquebus).

I think the in-game item "Matchlock musket" and it's textures are far from an arquebus. But yes, I agree that historically we should be talking rather for an arquebus than a matchlock musket.

peenerz said:
So nobody is concerned how the Portuguese absolutely mow down enemies even when outnumbered? Ok then

This conversation became one about realism, and if you want to be realistic, Europeans had a habit of absolutely mowing down natives that heavily outnumbered them, and this is only slightly less true when it comes to Portugal's invasion of Malacca in 1511.

Here, have some background.

Back
Top Bottom