[NEED HELP] Does anyone know why using Openbrf to import obj will look like the picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

I imported this model which I made myself from Blender 3.4, but I don't know why part of the surface disappeared after importing it. Since it's my first time to use Openbrf, please help.

Before Import​

Screenshot%202023-07-11%20015641.png
Screenshot%202023-07-11%20011901.png

After Import​

Screenshot%202023-07-11%20011819.png
Screenshot%202023-07-11%20015735.png

Screenshot%202023-07-11%20015802.png

Solution
Have you marked triangulate on export? If you have n-gons, OpenBRF can't import them correctly and can only guess how to triangulate the mesh and will create holes and make mistakes like that.
Check YouTube for some tutorials on how to texture models on Blender. It will be much more indepth than anything I can tell you here.

By default, any weapons you add will only be available to you. You will need to add it to the troops' inventories for them to have it. NPCs do not buy from shops like the player does.
Hello, So do you know how to import this dds?
Blade_MB_Texture.png

Upvote 0
You need to export it as a dds texture using the DXT1 - DXT5 compression format, into you mod's Texture folder (Some apps will call it BC1 - BC3). Then in the brf with the mesh, import the texture, it will ask if you would like to create a material with the same name, check yes, then apply that material to the mesh.

To learn some basic functions of OpenBRF, there is this tutorial: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...tools-managing-resources-with-openbrf.385750/

That tutorial has a section on how to set up a material, including what settings and shaders to use.

Make sure to check the tutorial threads. There should be tutorials covering every step we have gone over. Sometimes the tools or techniques will be out dated, but it's not too hard to figure out how to apply them to modern apps.

Using the filters you can limit it to Tutorials and 3D Art.

This one was one of the first results from that search, it seems to be a good fit to answer the questions you have:

Last edited:
Upvote 1
You need to export it as a dds texture using the DXT1 - DXT5 compression format, into you mod's Texture folder (Some apps will call it BC1 - BC3). Then in the brf with the mesh, import the texture, it will ask if you would like to create a material with the same name, check yes, then apply that material to the mesh.

To learn some basic functions of OpenBRF, there is this tutorial: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...tools-managing-resources-with-openbrf.385750/

That tutorial has a section on how to set up a material, including what settings and shaders to use.

Make sure to check the tutorial threads. There should be tutorials covering every step we have gone over. Sometimes the tools or techniques will be out dated, but it's not too hard to figure out how to apply them to modern apps.

Using the filters you can limit it to Tutorials and 3D Art.

This one was one of the first results from that search, it seems to be a good fit to answer the questions you have:
Thanks for replies.
So I did what asked but I don't know why it is not working:

This is the dds I converted(4096x4096)
Screenshot%202023-07-17%20142741.png

Material
Screenshot%202023-07-17%20142903.png

Texture
Screenshot%202023-07-17%20142915.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Based on those pictures it looks like OpenBRF either cannot find the texture, so you have it in the wrong texture folder, or the compression you chose isn't the correct one. What app did you use to convert the texture to dds?

Upvote 1
Also what do you mean about texture folder?

MountBlade Warband\Modules\your-mod\Textures\ you would put your textures here

is what I use convert the texture to dds = https://www.aconvert.com/image/png-to-dds/
and dds is in 4k
This is not going to work, dds has TONS of different compression formats, this doesn't seem to use one that OpenBRF will read.

Additionally, it's very important to have the control to choose the correct compression format. Based on your alpha channel transparency, you will need different ones.

A good free software with built in DDS support is https://getpaint.net/

GCnUP.png

This is the paint.net dds dialog, only use these three. These are all that WB will be able to read.

a: DXT1, No Alpha or 1-bit Alpha
b: DXT3, Sharp Alpha, Very little semi-transparency
c: DXT5, Smooth Alpha, Good soft semi-transparency

Upvote 0
MountBlade Warband\Modules\your-mod\Textures\ you would put your textures here

This is not going to work, dds has TONS of different compression formats, this doesn't seem to use one that OpenBRF will read.

Additionally, it's very important to have the control to choose the correct compression format. Based on your alpha channel transparency, you will need different ones.

A good free software with built in DDS support is https://getpaint.net/

GCnUP.png

This is the paint.net dds dialog, only use these three. These are all that WB will be able to read.

a: DXT1, No Alpha or 1-bit Alpha
b: DXT3, Sharp Alpha, Very little semi-transparency
c: DXT5, Smooth Alpha, Good soft semi-transparency
OK, nice and clear thank you
So i tried it seem to still same nothing changed

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the texture linked above compressed in DXT1 dds

It should work for you. Just drop it into the texture folder, register it in the item's brf as a texture, and then make the material. Based on that tutorial from earlier.

Upvote 0
This is the texture linked above compressed in DXT1 dds

It should work for you. Just drop it into the texture folder, register it in the item's brf as a texture, and then make the material. Based on that tutorial from earlier.

So now I managed to use the texture, but the dds is not cover the item correctly...

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom