Multiplayer: Timing, horses, and rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been quietly lurking around Mount and Blade for a while now, I think it was a couple versions after .808 that I showed up and started the trial. I liked it, but I was so poor that I couldn't afford the measly amount that they wanted for a serial key. I kept coming back every so often, downloading the trial, playing for a couple days and then leaving again. I eventually bought warband, I love it, I really do. I've stayed away from the multiplayer though, for one reason, which I shall explain shortly.

I like to think that I'm a good player, I have my variety of characters, lance wielding knights to bow waving archers. I usually stick to a lance and a horse though, I'm comfortable with it. Unfortunately, when I loaded up multiplayer and joined a game, I miss every single thrust with my lance. The window of what usually works in singleplayer seems to have moved, am I imagining this? I'm playing on a low end machine at the moment, my internet isn't too bad, is it lag? Is it completely different from singleplayer?

What really bothers me is that I see the pointy stick go THROUGH people, and instead of taking damage, they just continue living. I don't get it, do I just suck? and if I do, any tips as to how to fix my suckiness?

Multiplayer and Singleplayer are entirely different beasts. Whilst you may be God in SP, you're nothing but a wart in MP. The rest can be attributed to TaleWorld's buggy game...

I advise that you spend some time on TDM // Siege servers and warm up. It will be rather difficult, nay fast-paced and frantic but you will come out for the better.

Harlequin_ITA said:
Check your ping, if it is over 100 it will create issues.

This ^

The best playable ping on Warband is from 0-90

After about 90 youll start lagging around a bit

And anything above eh 170 is pretty much unplayable

Also if your PC is low end your settings might be up to high and you could be getting low frames per second or FPS lag *try turning down graphical settings as well*

Aye, my ping isn't the best I've seen. I think it's due to my remote location.

The very first thing that I did when I loaded up M&B on this box was check my settings and set everything to tiny low.

I undertand that I'm not a god, but instead a grunt warrior. I actually really like that aspect of MP, my problem isn't that I'm not doing MASSIVE DAMAGE, but that I'm not doing ANY damage.

Thank you for all your help, I'll head back to the siege maps. I'm used to frantic and fast, I play arena shooters such as quake and unreal tournament mostly, but I still like mount and blade. I'm getting better at manual blocking, and infantry combat is fine. It's just the danged horses that mess me up.

Lancing with a higher ping is not really hard though.

Try to think of the moment that you normally release it - 1 second.

Practice it in Team Death Match and you will soon find the best time to release.

Though, keep in mind that Besides the ping you may have to start your swing/stab earlier anyway, because the enemy sometimes tries to jump towards you. if you release earlier you will get the bastard :grin: (Bit of a geuss though)

Timing your lance in MP just takes a bit of practice - once you get the hang of it it becomes the easiest thing in the world.

It's different to SP because you have to account for lag (even with a low ping it makes a difference) and the fact that MP chars don't have very good proficiencies/attributes/skills compared to most SP chars.

So just experiment by consciously releasing earlier than you usually would. Soon it will become natural and you won't be able to lance in SP.

John7 said:
The best playable ping on Warband is from 0-90

After about 90 youll start lagging around a bit
I'd actually say you'd want below 75. 75-90 is the range where sometimes you can notice some lag, and sometimes you can't. Anything between 90 and 120 will reduce your ability to play quite a bit, and anything above 120 is just too poor to play. However, if you hit above 500, you'll enter god-mode.  :lol:

It might be ping-related as others have said, the other factor might just be that players in multiplayer are actively trying to evade your strikes, which isn't really the case in singleplayer (given the not-amazing combat AI).

Hope you have some fun in multiplayer once you've gotten past the initial learning curve (or find a way around your crappy connection ;P ) though, hope to see you around maybe. =)

Well he says that he actually sees the lance go through players, so that sounds like lag to me. OP, do tell us what your ping looks like on the servers (hold TAB).

Rhuarc said:
Well he says that he actually sees the lance go through players, so that sounds like lag to me. OP, do tell us what your ping looks like on the servers (hold TAB).

Could be, but also could not be. You have to be pretty precise with those stabs and with the way players move around to avoid your attacks it is easy to think you hit someone when you actually just barely missed them.

I thank you all for your help. I took your advice about releasing the lance early and I filtered servers by ping and chose the lowest one.

I was lancing like a pro, 6 kills in one life on my first life. I checked my ping on the second map we played, 106. I didn't have any problems though.

Argothman said:
All the servers with players are Euro to me. :/

over 100 ping all day err day.
GK server for siege/ medium speed duel
Central Pom for battle

Horses and lances... I have been playing this game for say 3-4 months, I can manual block (I guess) and I have the basics of Melee down.. But those horses still get me.

Back
Top Bottom