Mount&Blade Warband version 1.157 patch released!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr4g0nkn1ght said:
Lord Rich said:
Vaegir archers were definitely not the weakest at melee in the previous version. They outclassed swadians easily and arguably rhodoks too and were on par with sarranid rangers. The only ranger which was better at melee than the vaegirs was the nords due to the access to super cheap heavy armour and axes.

The vaegirs did need a nerf, however I would have preferred to see it aimed at their cav which was the best in the game before (still pretty good now) rather than their infantry which was already mid-low tier and their archers which are their characteristic strength.

-----------------------

Can vaegir archers still ride coursers?

-----------------------

Dr4g0nkn1ght said:

I agree archers kiting is op. Its fine in bot invasion mods but not in competetive multiplayer.

If you are losing because of kiting, look at your strats. There are plenty of ways of dealing with it already. These changes also won't help you much at all in regards to that and neither would the complete reduction of athletics to 1 since the effect on top speed is actually quite small. Athletics reductions main effect is in acceleration of your character which has more to do with melee combat than straight line speed.

What I was talking about is the fact that both veagir and sarranid archers have 0(!) power strike and low weapon skills.  And yes athletics allow you to run faster. Of course there is tactics against it because cav is simply always faster BUT archers running away when all your cav is down is especially at open maps is op. Main point I was talking about is the falchion tho which is simply a bad weapon (especially when used by archers with their bad stats).

EDIT:And I never said I lost any match because of kiting I just think its a waste of time to catch dem archers.

And it is really annoying on public server  :sad:

Lust I really want to get my old version back. I have tried alot, I've got backuped files, and tried to use them. And even with steam auto update off, it still changes it. I've changed the rgl_log, and with the auto update off. It still updates it.

Can you provide a way of getting the previous version back? 

The Viking said:
Lust I really want to get my old version back. I have tried alot, I've got backuped files, and tried to use them. And even with steam auto update off, it still changes it. I've changed the rgl_log, and with the auto update off. It still updates it.

Can you provide a way of getting the previous version back?

Norsking said:
Keller said:
Osviux said:
Suggestion to future patches: add +1 athletics to ranged classes.
No...

Don't want to see noob ranged running all over the map...

+1

I can't stop grinning, someone help me!
Archers could only run away when the infantry behind them was really heavy. And I mean what do you expect by an iron shimmering knight with shield and sword running behind a warrior wearing only light armour? Should the heavy knight really be faster? And I dont talk about historical accuracy atm I just talk about physical logics...

...and maybe I should repeat what I already wrote on the other thread:
-The archers were already weaker than infantry. In melee archers had always only a little chance to win compared to infantry.

-The archers had already less athletics than infantry. Normally archers are nothing else than light infantrymen and should be rather faster than heavy armoured infantrymen. Our tests with the new patch showed that an archer with only a shirt is still slower than a heavy infantryman with heavy shield and heavy sword. This is just unrealistic and almost funny (if it wouldn't be so sad). It might be different and unnecessary difficult for teams to move as one group when archers always fall behind.

-Previously it was balanced and archers had approximately the same speed as infantry although they have only light armour. In real life both classes would have the same speed in the beginning but heavy armour would slow down warriors, not immediately but after a short time. But exhaustion doesn't exist in Warband and to avoid a basic difference among the classes they originally were balanced this way to get the same speed.

-The patch reduces the archers to one function and forces them just to use a certain save position and to shoot from there. This will mutilate a whole class and will make the archer gameplay rather boring. While infantry and cavalry still can throw their javelins and still have their multiple functions (e.g., ranged weapons, different tactical functions like reconnaissance etc).

-The Vaegirs are strong but they're not the strongest faction. The strongest faction is the Nords. They have the strongest infantry.
Nords Power strike 5 - Vaegirs/Sarranids Power strike 3 - Swadians Power strike 4
Nords Power throw 4 - Vaegirs/Sarranids Power throw 3 - Swadians Power throw 2
Nords Shield 3 - Vaegirs/Sarranids Shield 2 - Swadians Shield 4  but ok:  Rhodoks Shield 5
Nords 2h skill 135 - Vaegirs/Sarranids 2h skill 100 - Swadian 2h skill 130
Nords Throwing skill 140 - Vaegirs/Sarranids Throwing skill 120 - Swadians Throwing skill 110
The Vaegirs/Sarranids 1h skill is just normal: 110 like Nords  but:  Swadians 1h skill 105
Nords even have very good amour and very good weapons, a very good 1h sword, the best shield, and even axes, short and long axes...
Nords don't have javelins but these can be dropped by cavalry...so they even get javs.
Ok, Vaegirs have the best bowman but this bowman was already slow - athletics only 4 instead of 5 and a good bowman doesn't need this skill to make a headshot.
The main compensation for the strong Nord infantry was always the better archers of the other factions.
But the Nord archer isn't really bad, the longbow is good and a Nord shield can always compensate every opponent archer.
Thus when the archers will be nerfed this will only result in more unbalance and the Nords will get unbeatable and the Sarranids will suffer as the Swadians who were always a good duel faction but a problematic faction in matches.

-It's not the archer skill, or that they have a good 1h weapon... the scimitar itself is maybe a bit overpowered compared to swords since it makes more damage and is even longer than the best 1h-sword.

-Siege servers are known to have many archers, so if archers are overpowered then actually the archer factions should win more often, right? But no, as siege hoster our experience is that Nords win most often cause of their good infantry. This is also mirrored by the fact that Nords have the highest amount of skill and proficiency points in total (link for reference) Sarranids lose most often cause of their light armour and weak shields (as attacker and defender). Without their archers Sarranids wouldn't have any chance anymore especially when they have to fight against Nords.

-Our tests showed that dodging cavalry and arrows is heavily affected by the patch. Normally it was possible to dodge an attacking cavalry but only when the archer saw it early enough and only if the archer wasn't equipped with heavy armour. It doesn't make a big difference if the archer has athletics 3 or 4 but the difference is significant if it's 4 or 5. This was always the disadvantage for the slow Nord archer but in future this will just apply to every faction even for the fastest Sarranid.

-The best teams in competitive gameplay don't use a high amount of archers, they already win more often by their infantry. If the melee skill of archers would be that good and if they were a kind of multiclass then it would make more sense to use a majority of archers and drop shields for them. But this never happens cause they are too weak and not a multiclass.

-For many players the game is like a "sport" and normally a kind of committee would decide about such incisive changes. However every form of "sport" can easily be crushed by just changing the rules and it's obvious that a majority of players is against these changes and wants to keep the old settings.  The opinion of the community really should have been taken into account.

-And last but not least the multiplayer community is much bigger and much more than just a competitive scene. The majority of players isn't in a clan and doesn't play matches all the time. I once counted the IDs of players that appeared within one hour on a full 140slots siege server. There were about 400 players. That means after a few hours there were already more players than the whole competitive scene counted together. And we shouldn't forget that most players of the competitive scene once started on such a server and learned to love this game. And why punishing the majority of players for a small amount of match playing people who don't even want to get these changes.

So, a little cursory experience.

I jumped on the Wolfpack test server followed by their siege server, then hosted my own game.

The wolfpack server had around 110 guys in it, mostly new players and random people who came back to try out the new version.
I'm an NA player, and the high number of players really both shone through to make me lagg. My responsiveness was half-numbed.

A bunch of the new guys and skeptics were blaming the patch for the 'slowness.' Feints felt broken, swings were half a second late, etc. It seems I wasn't alone. However, I blamed the server, and the medium combat speed.

After killing some people and stopping a few horses with the Spear, I jumped on siege.
Again, a heavily populated Wolfpack server. Tons of noobs. Not much of note there except that it again felt like I was fighting in mud or tar.

Then I hosted my own game, and fought against bots. I set it to fastest speed.
With no lag, and a decent speed setting, everything felt pretty much the same as 1.153/1.154, except I could do tight little circles as inf.

I only had a few weird things happen with equipment while playing as Rhodok cav.
Upgrading my lance to heavy or medium lance did not work, despite having the necessary gold. It just stayed default light.
Also, for some reason, yet again with the needed gold as Rhodok cav, I selected a military cleaver, and did not receive it. In fact, I spawned without a one-hander.
This is a patched 1.154 I'm running with.

I found some really bugged ladder in native map Village with new patch.

Central tower
23e3a90b08.jpg
It takes 22 seconds to climb this ladder.... I think it might have something to do with this.
-Fixed bug that caused slow movement in certain buildings and with certain scene props.

I have more problems with my warband. When I try to go archer on any of the servers that have the new version, it just doesn't let me spawn. No matter what game mode. If I try to go infantry, my shield doesn't spawn, sometimes my weapons, and sometimes my armour.

I have 2-5 servers on my server list, my favs seams to get some other servers, what am I doing wrong?

the buffs to sarranids and swadia are interesting

Hey it's great to know that the devs still have some interest for Warband :smile:

Minor but frustrating issue: has the infamous Man Handler achievement been fixed this time?

The Viking said:
I have more problems with my warband. When I try to go archer on any of the servers that have the new version, it just doesn't let me spawn. No matter what game mode. If I try to go infantry, my shield doesn't spawn, sometimes my weapons, and sometimes my armour.

I had a similar problem, but then i once again "verified the integrity of game cache" over steam and it started working..

Played a bit, I really feel like Vaegir Archers are too weak in melee now. Most significant is that all their melee weapons are very easy to outrange, because clubs & the falchion are all very short weapons. That's a bad combination together with the lowered speed... (which might be justified because of runners). I'd suggest to add at least a normal saber you can buy. Or a sexy small Berdiche :wink:

I also agree that the Falchion doesn't really fit into their theme (wouldn't it be great for Swadians -  as a weapon that has higher damage but less range than a sword?).

So, what are those "new operations" that have been added since 1.153?
Unless they're listed elsewhere, when comparing header_operations.py files  (1.153 vs 1.157) the only new one would be agent_set_ranged_damage_modifier
Is that all??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom