Most wanted module system additions

Users who are viewing this thread

What we really need is a method of back-compiling the text files to python.                                                   

I know that we would be able to resurrect a lot of older work, done in the U.E. for example, with that tool.                   

I guess it would be a bit of a hot potato, as it would instantly open-source every mod...

paragraphic update...

yeah there are alot of reasons why that would be a bad idea.

Obviously would be incredibly useful, though.

I don't know if this is to do with the midule system specifically but the capability for more items/map icons etc. would be good.

And, obviously, custom skeletons would be nice.

Amman de Stazia said:
There is no problem in the method. The translation from python to txt is reversible except  sensible names of variables  and comments. A tool can be written, some on this forum even tried and wrote partial back-translators. It is not hard, it is laborious. Much more easy to learn how to read txt then to write complete back-translator.

Rongar said:
Amman de Stazia said:
There is no problem in the method. The translation from python to txt is reversible except  sensible names of variables  and comments. A tool can be written, some on this forum even tried and wrote partial back-translators. It is not hard, it is laborious. Much more easy to learn how to read txt then to write complete back-translator.
Indeed, I've built one.  For the record, I did it originally as an intellectual exercise (I blame Mordachai) and promptly drew the ire of many people.  Now I use it for debugging other people's stuff at their request (I'm amazed at how many people still do txt hacking as their primary means of modding).  It's fairly full featured for normal scripts but I could easily extend it to do triggers and menus and such as well.  I get fairly frequent requests to build other decompilers for things like troops which have an editor but no way to backprop to tuples. 

And just so I'm not derailing, I'll add these, some of which others have already pointed out:
- Editable skeletons:  I suspect this is already possible, but it seems that the guts of the BRF format are lost to this generation of modders which brings me to...
- Publish the BRF file format.  Other than laziness, the only thing stopping me from rebuilding BRFEdit is that I'm far too lazy to puzzle out the format (yes, I'm really that lazy). 
- An animation editor should fall easily out of this as well.
- AI behavior seems to have all the sliders and knobs available for doing stuff (party_set_ai_initiative, party_set_ai_behavior, party_set_flags) but I haven't been able to get them to work.  Everyone complains about the ADD lords and while I've found ways around it, I'd rather not resort to such hackery. 
- I'd love to be able to break a bunch of stuff up between different module files but the current layout doesn't really allow for that.  If I hadn't done a pile of code generation, my module_scripts.py would easily be pushing 30K lines (I cringe when I see source files over 2K). 
- I've added a handful of things to my local process_*.py files to have better error messages but there are a handful that I can't fix because I don't have line numbers or which would require some reworking of the process.  I'm far too lazy to do such a thing (though I've thought hard about it).  I suspect that time invested here while being super awesome for modders, would also be useful for the guys at TaleWorlds who work with this stuff internally. 
- More documentation about where stuff is, how stuff is used, and some of what the intent is for some of the trickier pieces of code would be more than welcome.  I can puzzle stuff out reasonably well but I've been doing this professionally for almost a decade.  I can always figure out what a piece of code does but that doesn't help me if it's not clear what the intent was.

Mission template slots. Ability to get last active mission template.
It will allow removing large number of global variables connected with missions, make the code more clean and easy to understand, change and debug.

UPD. I've found that store_current_scene remember last scene after end of a mission.
I'm happy as a lark now, and everything is fine...

This is a command that is desperately needed:

agent_fall_dead                          =
pi.png
# (agent_is_ally,<agent_id>,[wounded]), #Set second value to non-zero to knock unconscious.

I would like a command like this, since the uses of agent_deliver_damage_to_agent are limited, especially the fact that the message always displays one agent killing another, rather than one agent simply falling dead or falling unconscious, and the always odd issue of exp. distribution

Oftentimes, it is better to have an agent simply just die, rather than have one agent deliver damage to another.

Surely it must be possible; isn't that what happens when an agent receives fall damage? pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease add this operation.  :sad:

Ability to have different (custom) Lord parties. So I can tell Lord X to "recruit" only (or at least mostly) units, X, Y or Z.

Also, more control over AI behavior, naturally.

EDIT: Adjustable weather too, and allow it to correspond with the game map. So in october through march it would be snowy on the ground and snowfall would be common, rain in spring etc.

["torch",        "Torch", [("club",0)], itp_unique|itp_type_one_handed_wpn|itp_primary, itc_scimitar, 11 , weight(2.5)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(95) | weapon_length(95)|swing_damage(11 , blunt) | thrust_damage(0 ,  pierce),imodbits_none,
[(ti_on_init_item, [(set_position_delta,0,60,0),(particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_fire"),(particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_smoke"),(set_current_color,150, 130, 70),(add_point_light, 10, 30),
])]],

I want this piece of code to actually work in game. Particle systems and light systems on melee weapons are highly desirable.
When the game says: "You are interrupted while collecting the taxes at {s3}. A large band of angry {reg9?peasants:townsmen} is marching nearer,\
shouting about the exorbitant taxes and waving torches and weapons. It looks like they aim to fight you!"
, it'd be nice if they actually had torches!

Particle systems on melee weapons worked somewhat in .751... now it doesn't work at all. I'd really desire for this to become functional. Oh well... at least flames start coming out AFTER the torch-wielders die.

On another note, I'd like melee weapons to be able to emit sound as well. (a torch crackling, a chainsaw buzzing, etc...)

mb31-1.jpg

Ha, the only thing that could make this better is if the torches were actually lit when the enemies were alive...

Another addition I would like is a command for mission templates that would disable to ability to "leave area" at a scene's boundaries.

Fei Dao said:
Ha, the only thing that could make this better is if the torches were actually lit when the enemies were alive...

We have that in TLD. I don't know if Ancientwanker made it or if Yoshiboy made it, but we have it in the rescue missions. Just thought you might like to know about that.

I agree with most of the other suggestions, but some other random ones would be:

- better\updated module system documentation + tools
- increase the limit of races you can have in module_skins.py (currently its a max of 16)
- allow us to define different types of animals in module_skins.py, so different animals can have different sound effects
- we can modify the color of blood, but not the color of the red vertex coloring that is done on armor/weapons so that would be nice
- being able to control some of the hard coded limitations (muskets only use one hand when carried, crossbows use two, throw_stone disappears from the ground, throw_knife doesn't, bows start to shake when held down too long, etc)
- triggers on melee weapons (particle effects, custom sounds, scripts, etc)
- ability to define a skybox that is only used for the world map (so we can add the compass back)
- a key_released and game_key_released operations (please!)
- all the good stuff like changing skeletons, hitboxes, etc.
- add back support for multi-mesh weapons/armor/etc
- I'm sure a lot more that I'm missing...

I would add:

- Support for more ground/terrain types and respective textures both for worldmap and battle maps.
- Support for more skybox textures.

Sorry if this has been suggested already, didn't have the time to read throug all the pages.

Ruthven said:
Ability to have different (custom) Lord parties. So I can tell Lord X to "recruit" only (or at least mostly) units, X, Y or Z.
Lords have different parties. Moreover lords of different factions are forced to recruit different units. It is all not hardcoded. You can do with lord's party all that you can do with any other.  Check the usage of reinforcement parties (pt_kingdom_#_reinforcements_*) in module_scripts to change what lords recruit.

I haven't read the thread so I can double some suggestion:
-make equivalent 'set' operation for every 'get' operation (set_rotation, set scale etc),
-operation that will block a game key for a while [ (lock_game_key, <game_key_id>), (unlock_game_key, <game_key_id>) ]
-something for changing npc's weapon during the mission via script (agent_equip_item, <agent_id>, <item_id>)
-spawning, deleting and replacing scene props working during the mission,
-transparent presentations that works on strategic map,

There are hundreds of ideas that popped in my mind and lots of illogical limitations in module system but I can't recollect them right now.

Tul said:
-something for changing npc's weapon during the mission via script (agent_equip_item, <agent_id>, <item_id>)
Instead I'd rather like to have an operation like agent_set_inventory_slot. This would give much more control.
Tul said:
-spawning, deleting and replacing scene props working during the mission,
For deleting you can just move the prop below the ground, but I'm sure you already know that.

I would like to repeat the request for more possible "carry" tags, since they seem to be based on bones.. I really want a left hand carry tag so that a weapon is held there when not in use (I want to do it with a rifle, but I'm sure it'd be useful for handfuls of javelins and suchlike)

Back
Top Bottom