Mod Idea: A song of ice and fire (ASOIAF)

Users who are viewing this thread

That's nice everyone supporting us.

But who exactly is on the team... apart from me?

Lol.

Shadow I'm signing you up.

I'm already working on a mod for Rome: Total War and I'm not sure how much effort I'd be able to give other than some ideas here and there. Who knows though? Right now I'm learning how to model.

Here's an idea. If we're looking for a name for the mod, I'd call it "Freerider" or something along those lines, as I think this quote from George captures the feel of the game very well:

"Freeriders are mounted fighters who are not part of a lord's retinue or feudal levy. Some are veterans, sure, but also green and untrained recruits, farm boys on ploughhorses, men dispossessed by the fighting, a very mixed bag. They don't as a rule collect wages. Some fight for plunder, of course. Other to perhaps to impress a lord or a knight , in hopes of being taken permanently into his service. For many it is simply a means to survive. If the war sweeps over your village, your house is burned, and your crops stolen or destroyed, you can hide in the ruins and starve, flee to the nearest city for refuge, take to the woods as an outlaw (the ones who do that are oft called "broken men")... or you can saddle your horse, if you're lucky enough to have one, and join one army or the other. If you do, you're a freerider. Being part of an army at least gives you a better chance of being fed.

There are all sorts of freeriders, ranging from wandering adventurers who are virtually hedge knights (lacking only the knighthood) to the aforementioned farm boys on drays. Most are used as scouts, outriders, foragers, and light cavalry."

So you see that in game you'd pretty much be playing the role of a freerider.

And now for a shameless advertisement:
For all those in the habit of supporting ASOIAF mods, check out Westeros: Total War, and make sure to check the screenshot section.

Hi Bigwig. I was wondering if you were the same from ezboard.

I posted on your site asking if some of your models/textures could be used in M&B. I don't know if that's possible because I've never played Total War.

How far have you got?

Thanks for that quote. It has given me some new ideas.

Yep, that's me. :cool:

And I don't think it's possible to switch models as RTW models are really low poly, so I doubt they would work. If you're asking how far I've got in modelling, not very. I'm just starting to learn. Or, if you want to know how the mod is going, activity is picking up again and we're almost done the map. We would still love all the support and help we can get though.

On another note
I was playing magnificent 7 and I realized that there are 7 members of the Kingsguard, so I did some quick and dirty editing to get this as a result:

I maxed out their stats, so they fight just as you would expect a member of the Kingsguard to fight. I didn't change their faces though, so Jaime is an old man... but you don't really see them that much in game anyway.

Here are some more pictures:

The Kingsguard posing for the camera

Running across a field

Kingsguard doing what they do best

Barristan

Even Boros finds it hard to live with an axe to the head

It's crude, but I guess it's all the ASOIAF goodness I'm going to get in M&B until the mod is made.

Hey Sheek:

I'm not the best modeller but I've done a few things and I'm a fast learner. I can program in c++ as well. Also, I can help with the story and such. Hopefully when the tools come out we will have more of an Idea what we'll be workign with. I doubt we'd have to do much of a total conversion for ASOIAF, but just have to change a few models and reskin like...everything. But anyway, you can def count me into the team.

[email protected]

Cool Jetman. Yes I think it's best to wait until the tools come out so we don't spend hours doing what could be done in minutes. I agree that there won't be much work on the modelling/textures side. Maybe there'll be some work to do with creating NPC faces (I don't know which NPCs to include yet).

I think most of the work will be scripting, changing names and dialogue.

What do you think of the map? Is the Riverlands a good place for the setting? Should the map be bigger?

Depending on how easy it is to develop, I'd love to eventually see all of Westeros. Skirmishing along the Dornish Marches under Martell orders on a sandsteed, exterminating troublesome mountain clans around the vale, fighting wights north of the wall as a member of the night's watch, all of that would be amazing. But right now the riverlands area seems to be an ideal place, it's got all the right elements of a chaotic, war torn, bandit infested no-man's land.
For the riverlands map, I'd personally extend it to the right some more and maybe cut out some of western stuff, we don't really know that much about the Lannister lands really. Maybe a recangle with the Twins at the top left and King's Landing at the bottom right, encompassing Riverrun some of the vale, and going perhaps all the way up to Duskendale.

We're finalizing the unit list for Westeros:Total War so I'd probably be able to give some unit suggestions for NPCs.

what about the guy who lives and fights on the north wall and is one of the three siblings that are seperated and he has a bastard sword i think his name in jon snow (a song of ice and fire series)

Heh, when I played to M&B for the first time, ASOIF came quickly to my minds. It would really be a great setting for this game. To be a freerider or an errand knight working for one of the great houses...

I concur with Enigma74. And Enigma74, if you can't think of who I am, think about who you ordered a brand spankin' new copy of ASOIAF: A Feast For Crows. =) And you have a typo in "and". =D

The new book, a Feast for Crows, is shipping to the UK right now. North America gets it sometime November. Unfortunately.

From what I hear the new book is going to be more focussed on Dorne and the Iron Islands, which is cool.

You'll have no shortage of support, I'll warrant. But as far as coders, texture artists and modelers go, you may feel the chill of scarcity. Before finding this gem, I was part of a think-tank to create a similar game, but of course that tanked, and seeing a similar vision at least partially realised was something of a godsend.
I'm a great fan of Martin's books, having been introduced to them when I had landed some actual paying work for the local museum and a film shoot outside of town, in the Rockies. Explaining my previous body of work to casting agents and hangers-on and simultaneously trying to educate people invariably means exchanging websites, imdb entries or author names, and I was only too happy to have Martin's tremendous works to recommend. Crichton's Timeline was something of a manual for introduction to the subject of medieval history, but the movie was awful and that turns people off. I have a very roundabouyt of getting to things; my initial character for Mount & Blade was dubbed Jon Snow, so you can imagine how much of a dork I am for these books.
To some sort of point- I was set up to write, sketch and possibly texture (once I had learned how) for a game my team would first build over the Unreal 2 engine as a pitch for development money from BioWare, the local friendly giant. But a key man was busy considering an offer from EA games, and couldn't commit when the rest of us could.
That leaves me as something of a freerider myself, so as it stands-I'd be glad to lend whatever aid is in me for such use.

Back
Top Bottom