Making a new complete troop tree set

Users who are viewing this thread

I'll think about that. It makes sense in a way, because the claimant would probably have raised a small army when you meet them, because they hang out in towns and castles to raise support anyway. However, I would think those troops they come with would instead be tied to the claimant rather than to you, and should leave your company after the claimant leaves as well. And there's no proper way of tracking that for generic troops.

Perhaps just to make it easier on the scripting, what might happen is that while you're on the claimant quest, the probability of the higher level troops joining your party at random events will increase a little.

Hi. I've been busy with real life work so I haven't been able to continue. Freelance work and trying to get myself more exposure/building networks and whatnot pretty much demands almost all of my time nowadays. Trying to raise funds, etc.

So far I've done a few of the troop trees but none of the cosmetic stuff, nor any of the scripts and dialogue/menu options to allow the training yet. I figure I'd test the troop trees out first to see how the AI uses them in combat, because I expect every battle to be significantly harder since there won't be any more armies of 300 with 250 of them being below "tier 3". I'll put some work into this in particular over the weekend. If I can, I'll try to do some of the other stuff as well, but that might not be ready until next week at the very least.

Hmm, I missed all the beginnings of this. :sad:
Looks amazing - can't wait - it's probably exactly the kind of troop trees I want, so I can't wait for this to be released - but do take your time - we can wait and IRL deadlines can't!
Another idea to add to the pool though - I think trainer skill can still play a part - it can level troops up to be ready to upgrade, though you would still need to go to a town to actually get their equipment. Or, you could have something like where knights train squires using trainer skill - the only way (perhaps? I'm still not entirely sure how this is working - I should probably have read in a bit more detail) to train units up to knights, though it should probably be a rather slow process and not really a staple source, but rather added bonuses.

While I like the idea, honestly I don't know how to implement that. I have no idea how to catch it so that you can't use the upgrade button unless you're in town. I don't even think it's possible.

I think it would be simpler to just stick to the plan and use the trainer/constable to train the troops using a scripted event, which might take the player's Training skill into account. That much is pretty easy to do, with some figuring out.

For the curious, I've separated the noble Knights (who join your party via events at random or upgrade via training from squires) from the Knights that get promoted from commoner Swordsmen, Billmen, Rangers and Men-at-arms. This way, if you really wanted, you can have a full-time knight training school in a castle, and while they're not exactly the same as the noble knights that dedicate their entire lives from boyhood to becoming a knight, they can still be a powerful force if you're willing to spend the time and money to training them. Take note, this will really take a long time. Training bigger batches takes a bit longer than training just one or two guys, but it obviously yields more troops. I don't want to limit the player to exactly the same composition as AI lords, because it really was historically possible, especially for the king's personal army, to ride with mostly armored knights and men-at-arms.

I've done something similar to most of the other troops (though this part hasn't been completed yet). Let's just say the whole process of hiring and training will make so much sense that it'll feel very natural to produce and upgrade your troops as you see fit.

Aside from that, what still needs doing is the dialogue with the Constable, and the scripts that will handle the delayed timer training. I can look at the current Constable upgrade script (haven't seen it yet), which is pretty much the same thing as I want to do (except mine will take much longer of course, and not limited to tier 3, as there aren't any real tiers in my system). Also rare random encounters (like the random tournament invites) where small parties will ask to join your party. These are important aspects of the gameplay I had in mind, and I would like to have them completed before I put out a public test version.

Just an update. Still working on the base troop trees. I got a little done but not enough for a release yet. Still haven't equipped the troops, though I have mapped most of them out already, and the list looks pretty good so far. I've been distracted by work (or rather, can't be distracted by modding because of work), facing some changes that will hopefully spring my career forward, so that obviously takes priority.

I just fire up Notepad++ to continue modding once in a while when I'm taking a break, so please bear with me and thank you for your patience.

ruralvirginian said:
GASP!
Someone has a life outside of Floris!?!?!?!?!?
What is the world coming to?​
Well, I play Native and Napoleonic Wars outside of Floris - does that count? *winces*
Wait... someone has Warband as only a hobby though...
GASP!
In slightly more seriousness, good luck with your career, go make yourself rich and show people how to succeed! And take as much time as you want - we can wait! No need to apologise!

lol Thanks guys.

When I'm not so busy with work and I actually have time to burn, I can spend all day playing, going to bed at 8 AM on some days just because I didn't want to leave my campaign hanging, as indeed I was just a few weeks ago.

Right now I'm in the planning stages for a project I'm doing for work, so I don't really want to relax from planning by planning this mod out some more lol. I think my brain will disintegrate. D:

Yeah. I think the troop trees will be done by the weekend. I still have to do the other basic ideas like the training and recruitment stuff, which I think are vital for an alpha testing version. The presentations and some of the other features can wait.

I've been super busy. I'm starting up a music company and it's pretty hectic. As usual, I just sneak this in while I have time. But until our company is up and running and our first business project is going smoothly, I won't really have time to devote to modding, or playing, for that matter.

There's a wiki article in the english wiki about Berserkers, I am sure you have already seen it, but here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker
In the german wiki is a similar article, but with much more information. I think it might be the wrong language for you, but perhaps you know somebody, who can translate it or you can use a translator in the internet (albeit it works not very well)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

Sorry when I am no real help for you.

Just updating here. :smile:

I'm redoing the trees from scratch. I got some new ideas that might not fit with the old ones. I'll make the trees even simpler now in terms of equipment choices, but still super diverse that it takes a good commander that knows what he's doing to put together a proper army that can take over the whole... map.

I was watching Lord of the Rings on TV (lol) and I was observing the different troop types. They were pretty much making do with some very simple but organized troop types. For example, at the Battle of Hornburg (Helm's Deep) in the Two Towers movie, the Rohirrim were pretty much just peasant soldiers armed with bows and old swords and professional soldiers that were mounted (dismounted when siege defending, like what happens in our game) and sometimes had bows and javelins. The elves that came to help were purely archers (but also good with swordsmanship). The orc forces were various makeshift weapons for siege. I think they were more interested in having numbers than being specialized.

This kind of dynamic worked in real wars (not just fictional wars like in LotR lol) too. It's all about numbers and positioning in real tactical battles instead of [false] troop type diversity.

What I will do to help troop organization out is make similar troops that differ only slightly in order to be able to make multiple squads of similar troops, for maximum positioning control. For example, there will be two types of Rhodok commoner spearman, neither is better than the other. This way, using split troop trees you can have up to 4 squads of Rhodok spearmen, which you can then use to perform complicated tactics such as simultaneous wedge attacks, enveloping/pincer maneuvers, or setting up powerful spear walls to stop cavalry.

I understand this idea is not popular with a lot of players, but again I'm modding this stuff for myself, and the main idea is to be able to conduct some complicated tactical tricks against an enemy that has also their own tricks.

By the way, the AI (via FormAI) seems to be doing well with the simplified troop trees. They know how to position archers properly and to devastating effect, they like using shield walls and skirmishers that harass your line. With some testing, it's turning out to be that if you aren't smart about how you conduct your battles, you can easily lose even a small battle that you thought you would win.

Sounds great! Have been playing as an out-of-melee commander since you inspired me with those posts on your tactics several months ago. Your new troop trees should be fun.

I like your idea of gameplan.

Hope that M&B2 will allow player vs player battles , where You can comand your own army.

Total War: M&B.  :grin:

Haha yeah I'd like that too. Commander versus commander. Actually when they first announced Warband's multiplayer functionality I thought that's what they meant. Or at least some kind of coop mode where you can conquer the map with your buddy or something. He leads his army and you lead yours and all that.

This sounds awesome! Will this make use of ( and balance ) your archery tweaks? I know in normal floris, there are some balance issues concerning archery

Back
Top Bottom