• Don't Care

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other (Post answer)

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Turanien said:
All of this bawing over the 2h axes and yet no-one dares cry against the Great Sword?
Did you read this last page? That looks like people 'crying against the great sword.' :eek: 

Stuboi0 said:
the speed of the swing wasn't great
Meh, I think it was pretty fast; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOutRhR10pQ&feature=related Doesn't seem very heavy to use. :razz:

a 2 hand sword is very heavy and you need a lot of train time its not so very is you have a big range to swing but after than you need a bit of time for to parry and in the times of the medieval they weared an heavy armor

Lord_Conan said:
a 2 hand sword is very heavy and you need a lot of train time its not so very is you have a big range to swing but after than you need a bit of time for to parry and in the times of the medieval they weared an heavy armor

A 2 hand sword is very heavy?

Since when? I have a hanwai tinker, and it is about 2 pounds. Not very heavy at all for something 4 feet long.

Turanien said:
Wow.

All of this bawing over the 2h axes and yet no-one dares cry against the Great Sword?

I wonder why.  :roll:

Because the Great Long Axe(GLA) needs unbalanced whereas the Great Sword(GS) does not! In our opinion :smile:

The GLA:
- weighs 1.75 units more
- does 12 more damage per hit
- does bonus damage against shields
- has a model that looks unbalanced
- is much cheaper, a more 'crude' weapon

The GS
- is a very very expensive, finely crafted weapon of beauty and balance
- historically wouldn't be as heavy as people make it out to be

I don't actually think there's any reason to unbalance the GS. If you think it's an OP dueling weapon that's too bad - keeping Battle game mode balanced is a higher priority than Duel game mode. You can always just forbid certain weapons in Duel mode.

Why do you think GS should be unbalanced?

I happily embrace any nerf to two handed weapons at this point.

After returning form my extended break, I went from being a dedicated 2H user to only using 1H, regardless of historical accuracy or realism the 2H weapons are just far too superior and easy to use in comparison to any other weapons.

A game needs balance to be fun...

Úlfheðinn said:
I happily embrace any nerf to two handed weapons at this point.

After returning form my extended break, I went from being a dedicated 2H user to only using 1H, regardless of historical accuracy or realism the 2H weapons are just far too superior and easy to use in comparison to any other weapons.

A game needs balance to be fun...

Are you talking about battle or deathmatch or dueling?

All of them barring clan matches(where the enemy uses teamwork and thus punishes people without shields quickly).

However, when pubbing, the 2H weapons are easy to employ to a ridiculous effect.

Lord_Conan said:
a 2 hand sword is very heavy
No, it's not.
Lord_Conan said:
and you need a lot of train time
  Arguably. You do want to know how to use it before having to use it, sure.

Lord_Conan said:
its not so very is
is? Easy?
Lord_Conan said:
you have a big range to swing
which you can shorten by holding the sword differently. This is where the training kicks in. :razz:

Lord_Conan said:
but after than you need a bit of time for to parry
Nope.
Lord_Conan said:
and in the times of the medieval they weared an heavy armor
Once two-handed swords came in use, yes, you could argue the users would have been heavily armoured. Not necessarily more so than colleagues with pike or lance, but yeah. Early middle ages however, around the sixth century? You wouldn't find much armour at all, but luckily no two-handed swords either. :lol: The game is set a bit later however, around the middle of thirteenth century. Which could be argued to be sort of in the time period where the bastard sword would have been developed and armour started including plates. (If you choose not to count lamellar and/or scale. Err, yes.) 

It's noteworthy how the same discussions pop up with regular intervals in a game that needs patching; this particular discussion has been flogged to death many times especially in the beta testing days.

I find it interesting that whenever people argue against a nerf of the long axes the GLA is always the case in point. I can understand why of course, the GLA is together with the 2h cleaver the only two completely fantasy/World of Warcraft weapons in the game and any sane person can see that it is horribly disfigured and unbalanced. Personally, I've always argued for its removal from the game.
However, there's other long axes ( Long Axe and Long War Axe ) that are modelled to some degree on historical dane axes and the dane axe do not at all fill the heavy, hard-hitting but slow category TW and part of the community probably for reasons of misinformation have always found it safe to place it in.

Dane axes are incredibly swift spear-axes, an early development of the polearm, and due to the slim, well-balanced axe heads in many ways a much lighter and more wieldy weapon than for example the Great Sword ( though the balance point is different of course ) and the wide grip and the fact that it is made mostly out of wood also allows for a great deal of control and speed.

The Great Swords on the other hand have seriously imbalanced duel servers, it can do anything any other sword can do but only better, it does more damage, it stuns more, it has greater reach and despite what the speed stat says it always seems faster than even the bastard swords. Though I used it extensively myself for at least the first six months it is such a superior a weapon that I have actually begun to despise it over the course of the last year, that it is the most used weapon, particularly among new players is another indication that this is the main imba weapon of the game ( except for the lolhammers which falls completely outside of game mechanics with its lolblockcrush ). And I'm still talking duel servers here.

In my opinion all 2-handed weapons have an advantage over 1-handers in the game. The reason is of course that what is given up in defense by wielding a 2-hander doesn't really matter much in a game, a 2-hander in real life may very well have an edge in many situations over a 1h opponent but the wielder is also undoubtedly more reckless.

As Ulf I used to be a dedicated 2-hander myself but only rarely can I bring myself to use these weapons nowadays. It is a shame that for a consistent blocker and outside a serious clan match there's little incentive besides a wish for balance not to pick a 2-hander.

I personally see a lot of sense in adding the unbalanced trait to all larger 2-handers, starting with the Great Sword and the 2-hand cleaver. Now that bardiches and long axes have this trait ( and rightly so, I think ) the swords definitely needs it, too.

The polearm-bardiches don't have the unbalanced trait. Also, while I agree that the great sword can use some work, I believe that is in the speed department. Adding unbalanced to every two-hander doesn't solve anything. The difference between them and these axes are that they were intended to be unbalanced (and are labeled so) but didn't work as intended until now (or rather, the next patch).

Also, I don't know what's going on across the pond, but I can say that in the US, archery increase has lowered the overall number of two-handers in all game-modes. Frankly, I really never saw it as much of a problem in the first place, as I saw an even mix between 1hs and 2hs between all game-modes and skill levels.

Coy said:
A 2 hand sword is very heavy?

Since when? I have a hanwai tinker, and it is about 2 pounds. Not very heavy at all for something 4 feet long.

oh Hanwei made by Paul Chen? but for a 2h weapon a little bit to esay normaly a 2h sword has the weight form 4 to 8 pound is your sword fit for fullcontact fighting or to put on a wall? i ask because i think its to esay for a 2h sword. For example  my  i have a 1h boardsword from valiant armory (Practical Arming sword Steel1065 Carbon Steel
Weight 2.5lbs Point of Balance 6"Price Range US$200 to $249  handling very esay ) and its for fullcontact swordfights here is a picture from my sword
19089_600.jpg

It is a Paul Chen.

Made for "Stage Combat" Essentially meaning it is made stronger and more durable than even actual replicas.

5160 Spring Steel.
47 Inches in length.

It is not a display sword if that is what you are asking. It is designed for, and I use it for sparring.

Back
Top Bottom