Lancers - Observations, Conclusions and Solutions

Users who are viewing this thread

Partisan said:
Omg people are still arguing this....

Yes partisan they are ... and forgetting that a thrusted arm as 3 points of breaking ... 5 points really, compared to a shoulder.

heres the 5 points: Wrist, Radius and Ulna, elbow joint, Humerus and the shoulder joint ... one of those would break before the lance at a thrust out motion with only cloth for support. That or resulting in that good old human emotion to avoid pain and let go of the lance ... but with any of these breaks I think you would anyway.

the point of the couch is to get as much of an impact from the horse and rider as possible without putting substantial risk to the riders functions as a combatsman ... the couched lance IS stronger its why its still a valid use even today on all acounts of real life horsemanship with a lance .. otherwise wouldn't it of never of existed?

Kator Viridian said:
Partisan said:
Omg people are still arguing this....

Yes partisan they are ... and forgetting that a thrusted arm as 3 points of breaking ... 5 points really, compared to a shoulder.

heres the 5 points: Wrist, Radius and Ulna, elbow joint, Humerus and the shoulder joint ... one of those would break before the lance at a thrust out motion with only cloth for support. That or resulting in that good old human emotion to avoid pain and let go of the lance ... but with any of these breaks I think you would anyway.

the point of the couch is to get as much of an impact from the horse and rider as possible without putting substantial risk to the riders functions as a combatsman ... the couched lance IS stronger its why its still a valid use even today on all acounts of real life horsemanship with a lance .. otherwise wouldn't it of never of existed?

Well, the portrayal of the lance in MM is that of a hollow bamboo spear pretty much. The way one is able to swing numerous times and change swing direction so quickly suggests from observation that it's a very very light weapon, and this is why I never saw the strength issue in a particularly important light when doing that equation. It's also why I tried to make clear that I am not talking about medieval lances when claiming that a stab will do more damage than a couch, because with a lighter weapon one is able to sustain the tension of the stab in one's arm without damaging it. At the moment the only logical (making physical sense) reason someone would couch with that super-light lance is perhaps for more precise penetration, not for 'insta-kill'. However, the MM engine favours the accuracy of the stab more than the couch so the logic of that is thrown out the window, therefore, the whole concept of couch at the moment is completely illogical; another reason for changing the lance.

Now, I can see a sensible couch damage level tending towards being equal to or even more damaging than a stab if we were to make the lance in MM heavier. At the moment we have this fast and 'spammable' lance (implying that it's very light) which can also perform deadly couches (which implies that it's a heavier lance). There's a very direct contradiction between the two methods of attack with the current lance. Making it less maneuverable (by making it heavier) would actually make a lethal couch seem more logical from an. If we were to make it heavier (with my earlier suggestion) we'd not only see the couch's power make more sense, but also we'd see the stabs potency reduced as a 'spammable' weapon.

You'd get more realism and less over-dominance of the lance at the same time with such a nerf.

Evan

EDIT: When I say 'heavier' I mean 'reduced speed rating' (which subsequently has the effect of making it seem/act heavier).

You know the lance is slower in comparison to the bayonete right? its not fast and spamable compared to that ... nor is it fast and spammable compared to the sword ... the lance also has 2 attack directions ... to me thats not spamable. You can happily spam bayonete thrusts because its fast enough ... but lances are actually a noticeable slow.

The reason why people can jab away is because the lancer gets his spacing right, much like a bayonete fight its about spacing, as soon as the lancer pulls away he has his time to get that stab back ... slowing him down won't make much of a difference except he pulls a bit further away.

I played on the 5thKGL the other day as a lancer, 64 kills to about 20 deaths, not too shabby, only cav on my team. I just went around making sure I ambushed people from behind, its not like they could of reacted or attacked back, but the range of the lance also makes sure you can head on charge and stab from the side ... headshot = kill ... the best way I found for beating up a lancer, or killing one ... go as a dragoon and charge him head on ... then blow his brains out on horseback. Orrr get with fellow infantrymen and find a rock ... simple after that. Me, Waffle and AgentGB had a fun time fending off 2 french lancers too, not too hard with a rock behind you and making sure you got horse bumped instead of stabbed.

You'd get more realism and less over-dominance of the lance at the same time with such a nerf.

The point of the lance is its dominance over the battlefield ... otherwise it wouldn't of been used.

Even though I' a noob in melee, I find that a simple block, stab, stab works.

And for the 'special' people out there:
BLOCK the lance,
STAB the horse
STAB the rider!

Connzcdf said:

BLOCK the lance,
STAB the horse
STAB the rider!

Stabbing as sword armed cavalry is fairly rare since their swords cannot stab. More to the point, I assume you're talking about infantry, if my asumption is correct I would ask you to read the thread before posting. Now I know it's almost 30 pages and alot of stuff has been said times and times again, but atleast a few pages to see that your comment is useless and irrelevant, and above all that people have made similar comments and how they have been responded too.

Kator Viridian said:
You know the lance is slower in comparison to the bayonete right? its not fast and spamable compared to that ... nor is it fast and spammable compared to the sword ... the lance also has 2 attack directions ... to me thats not spamable. You can happily spam bayonete thrusts because its fast enough ... but lances are actually a noticeable slow.

The reason why people can jab away is because the lancer gets his spacing right, much like a bayonete fight its about spacing, as soon as the lancer pulls away he has his time to get that stab back ... slowing him down won't make much of a difference except he pulls a bit further away.

I played on the 5thKGL the other day as a lancer, 64 kills to about 20 deaths, not too shabby, only cav on my team. I just went around making sure I ambushed people from behind, its not like they could of reacted or attacked back, but the range of the lance also makes sure you can head on charge and stab from the side ... headshot = kill ... the best way I found for beating up a lancer, or killing one ... go as a dragoon and charge him head on ... then blow his brains out on horseback. Orrr get with fellow infantrymen and find a rock ... simple after that. Me, Waffle and AgentGB had a fun time fending off 2 french lancers too, not too hard with a rock behind you and making sure you got horse bumped instead of stabbed.

The point of the lance is its dominance over the battlefield ... otherwise it wouldn't of been used.

Nevertheless, a slower lance will make the penetration risk less frequent, doing 2 things: making the lance less of a close quarters weapon and more of a charge weapon (by forcing lancer to evade further, as you said) and making it harder to use skill-wise (requires more judgement and timing). This in turn makes the lance more historically accurate (it is more of a charge weapon than a close quarters weapon) and less over-dominating in the game overall.

It can have dominance, but it needn't be over-dominance. It can still have its niches but it needs obvious downfalls then, in order for balanced gameplay.

Hekko said:
Connzcdf said:

BLOCK the lance,
STAB the horse
STAB the rider!

Stabbing as sword armed cavalry is fairly rare since their swords cannot stab. More to the point, I assume you're talking about infantry, if my asumption is correct I would ask you to read the thread before posting. Now I know it's almost 30 pages and alot of stuff has been said times and times again, but atleast a few pages to see that your comment is useless and irrelevant, and above all that people have made similar comments and how they have been responded too.
Ok sorry! And I was thinking infantry.

Evanovic said:
Kator Viridian said:

Nevertheless, a slower lance will make the penetration risk less frequent, doing 2 things: making the lance less of a close quarters weapon and more of a charge weapon (by forcing lancer to evade further, as you said) and making it harder to use skill-wise (requires more judgement and timing). This in turn makes the lance more historically accurate (it is more of a charge weapon than a close quarters weapon) and less over-dominating in the game overall.

It can have dominance, but it needn't be over-dominance. It can still have its niches but it needs obvious downfalls then, in order for balanced gameplay.

Lance less of a close quarters weapon? did you read that part over? it is a close quarters weapon, I don't know how you can make it less of one unless you attach a gun onto the end of it.

tbh I never used to play cavlary at all on MM, it was always line infantry or skirmishers in line battles ... when we started to play lancers or cavlary it was very very easy to pick up ... why? because it didn't really matter if you missed you'd knock the guy down anyway.

And on historical accuracy, the lancer was the most feared cavlary on the field below curassiers (But seen as their are none it should make it the most feared in MM), why make it less feared if you want things historically accurate ...

It can still have its niches but it needs obvious downfalls then, in order for balanced gameplay.

What Niche? by slowing down the lance you arn't giving it one suddenly ... it dosn't have a niche now and won't have one when you slow down the lance ... it can still beat the living crap out of infantry by outranging them, it can still beat the living be-jesus out of cavalry, and cannons are no match ... what Niche of attack have you given it?

And btw slowing down the lance won't effect its damage output, just increases the time it takes to kill, I could of happily killed the same amount with a slower lance ... and the lance is already slower than every other weapon apart from the opelgyneye weapons, I really don't see how this will impact in a line battle or general battle at all, bit slower, wider movements ... solved.

Kator Viridian said:
Lance less of a close quarters weapon? did you read that part over? it is a close quarters weapon, I don't know how you can make it less of one unless you attach a gun onto the end of it.

tbh I never used to play cavlary at all on MM, it was always line infantry or skirmishers in line battles ... when we started to play lancers or cavlary it was very very easy to pick up ... why? because it didn't really matter if you missed you'd knock the guy down anyway.

And on historical accuracy, the lancer was the most feared cavlary on the field below curassiers (But seen as their are none it should make it the most feared in MM), why make it less feared if you want things historically accurate ...

By forcing the lancer to evade further before returning for a jab you are making it less of a close-quarters weapon. The closer you can get to the enemy, and the longer you can sustain that closeness with a specific weapon, the more of a close-quarters weapon it is. By slowing down the lance Lancers would have less frequent jabs and therefore (if they wanted to survive) they'd have to come into close contact with the enemy less. You seem to really like the 'all or nothing' concept, from what I have seen. There are levels of 'close-quarters'ness you know, not everything is at one end of a scale or the other.

I am also quoting wikipedia on saying that the Lance ought not to be a close-quarters weapon: 19th century lancers: 'Although the lance had its greatest impact in the charge, lancers were vulnerable against other cavalry, as the lance proved a clumsy and ineffective weapon (compared to the sabre) at close quarters'

It can still have its niches but it needs obvious downfalls then, in order for balanced gameplay.

What Niche? by slowing down the lance you arn't giving it one suddenly ... it dosn't have a niche now and won't have one when you slow down the lance ... it can still beat the living crap out of infantry by outranging them, it can still beat the living be-jesus out of cavalry, and cannons are no match ... what Niche of attack have you given it?

You identified the very niche I am talking about in your paragraph. Its niche is its length! It's one of the longest weapons in the game. But you have identified the exact problem of the current situation: the niche doesn't have a downside to it, so it doesn't seem like a niche because the lancer is so comprehensively strong. And that would be the aim of the nerf: to give it a downside that counter-balances the advantage of its niche.

And btw slowing down the lance won't effect its damage output, just increases the time it takes to kill, I could of happily killed the same amount with a slower lance ... and the lance is already slower than every other weapon apart from the opelgyneye weapons, I really don't see how this will impact in a line battle or general battle at all, bit slower, wider movements ... solved.

On average lancers will get less kills, skilled players will still do well, but the average player will find more skill demanded of them to get kills. If we assumed that the average length of a battle remained the same, after such a change, the Kills/Time ratio would be worse off for lancers, and thus we'd expect them to get less kills.

We can also expect there to be more risk involved for lancers: it takes longer for their jabs to penetrate and thus they are vulnerable for longer.

According to Oposum (who made a post on this a while ago) Speed Rating does not affect the speed of the weapon on foot (for foot its just he Weight of the weapon), so it is not good to be comparing the lance to foot weapons.

Evan

It might be time to put a lock on this tread, as it's becoming a point-less discussion.
Even if we all say: Vince, no lancers in this mod, I don't think he would do it.

Now, I don't mind, because I play regularly as lancer, and lancers will always have an advantage over other infantry and cavalry.
That's why every country has lancers; Except Brittan, but they have rifles with bayonets. Some lancers are noobs who kill people in the back with lanses, but hey, i have seen dragoons doing that too all the time. Some lancers, like the Polish regiments and the Freikorps, are masters in the lance and even thought I find it easily to survive random lancers, I fear and run from them.

Now, if I may be so bold

Abandon-Thread.gif

Vicccard said:
It might be time to put a lock on this tread, as it's becoming a point-less discussion.
Even if we all say: Vince, no lancers in this mod, I don't think he would do it.

Now, I don't mind, because I play regularly as lancer, and lancers will always have an advantage over other infantry and cavalry.
That's why every country has lancers; Except Brittan, but they have rifles with bayonets. Some lancers are noobs who kill people in the back with lanses, but hey, i have seen dragoons doing that too all the time. Some lancers, like the Polish regiments and the Freikorps, are masters in the lance and even thought I find it easily to survive random lancers, I fear and run from them.

Now, if I may be so bold

Abandon-Thread.gif

There will be changes to Lancers  :cool: I'd be happy to bet on that...I'm not giving away my reasons though.

Vincenzo said on the suggestion thread a while back that he was going to do something about them, he made it clear that he also considered lancers to be over powered and that they would be changed but he didn't say how :/

KillerMongoose said:
Vincenzo said on the suggestion thread a while back that he was going to do something about them, he made it clear that he also considered lancers to be over powered and that they would be changed but he didn't say how :/

Hmmm.

By forcing the lancer to evade further before returning for a jab you are making it less of a close-quarters weapon. The closer you can get to the enemy, and the longer you can sustain that closeness with a specific weapon, the more of a close-quarters weapon it is. By slowing down the lance Lancers would have less frequent jabs and therefore (if they wanted to survive) they'd have to come into close contact with the enemy less. You seem to really like the 'all or nothing' concept, from what I have seen. There are levels of 'close-quarters'ness you know, not everything is at one end of a scale or the other.

I am also quoting wikipedia on saying that the Lance ought not to be a close-quarters weapon: 19th century lancers: 'Although the lance had its greatest impact in the charge, lancers were vulnerable against other cavalry, as the lance proved a clumsy and ineffective weapon (compared to the sabre) at close quarters'

The lance IS a close quarter weapon ... you need to phsyically be holding one end whilst jabbing it into the enemy, if by that then none of the weapons are actually close quarters and the only close quarters you get is a fist punch or kick?

Also have you actually noticed the oplegyneye get a pike sometimes ... therefore the lance is NOT the longest weapon in the game therefore it does not hold a niche.

Yes there are levels of close quarter weapons but you failed to specifiy at all, by close quarters you count as contact with the enemy, anything that shoots a bullet or porjectile is counted as a ranged weapon, I don't know how you get levels of close quarters when really it says itself ... CLOSE (This is the key part) Quarters ... in any kind of warfare history on nots of "Give no quarter" and "Close Quarters" usually meant anything in the range of melee ... therefore the lance falls quite happily into this range of close quarters because it needs you to get close to be used ... in the view of Muskets vs Lances the Lance is a Close Quarter weapon ... how can you think that Lances are suddenly projectile?

But the lance an innefective weapon ... why the feck was it used then ... The point was the guy with the sabre would be lucky to get passed the lance point most of the time but if he did he could cause havok, which they do in this game ... infact rmoving the ability to block would be more historically accurate than the bullcrap of making it slower ... does that make sense to you?

You identified the very niche I am talking about in your paragraph. Its niche is its length! It's one of the longest weapons in the game. But you have identified the exact problem of the current situation: the niche doesn't have a downside to it, so it doesn't seem like a niche because the lancer is so comprehensively strong. And that would be the aim of the nerf: to give it a downside that counter-balances the advantage of its niche.

Does not hold this niche ... I've said about the oplygenye pike. The downside of the lance is ... its long, yes you guessed it its attack power is also its weakness ... at close close ranges it does 0 amounts of damage, compared to the bayonete which can still do its full attack damage at Close close close close closness quarters (Hope thats close enough :wink: ) ... but then again the lance isn't a close Quarter weapon and therefore dosn't exist in this paradox.

On average lancers will get less kills, skilled players will still do well, but the average player will find more skill demanded of them to get kills. If we assumed that the average length of a battle remained the same, after such a change, the Kills/Time ratio would be worse off for lancers, and thus we'd expect them to get less kills.

We can also expect there to be less risk involved for lancers: it takes longer for their jabs to penetrate and thus they are vulnerable for longer.

According to Oposum (who made a post on this a while ago) Speed Rating does not affect the speed of the weapon on foot (for foot its just he Weight of the weapon), so it is not good to be comparing the lance to foot weapons.

ummm the lancers won't do as many headon attacks or stay into melee as much, which means back attack successes will go up, therefore covering for their missed kills headon ... but more experianced lancers will do so anyway.

Less risk? your not raising their health or stopping them from meleeing ... because thats how they get their kills ... Risking themselves. They arn't vulnerable for longer ... they can still be shot, stabbed and the likes before or after their attack anyway.

I'll re-do this for you:
According to oposum "who made a post on this a while ago) Speed Rating does affect the speed of the weapon on foot (for foot its just the speed of the weapon + Proficiency), its okay to compare as long as they are both on foot ... which you did.

Sorted?

Kator Viridian said:
The lance IS a close quarter weapon ... you need to phsyically be holding one end whilst jabbing it into the enemy, if by that then none of the weapons are actually close quarters and the only close quarters you get is a fist punch or kick?

Also have you actually noticed the oplegyneye get a pike sometimes ... therefore the lance is NOT the longest weapon in the game therefore it does not hold a niche.

Considering that the opolcheniye pike is limited to 1 Faction, 1 Unit, 2 Classes and a minority of the players who even select these units (due to the random weapon draw), I would say that the pike is not nearly a prominent enough weapon to consider in this argument. Despite that, I never said it was the longest, I said it was 'one of the longest' and it can still be a niche or speciality with such a condition. Why do you apply an 'all or nothing' mentality to almost all points raised? It's not how things work. It doesn't have to be the longest in order to be a niche or a specialised weapon.

Yes there are levels of close quarter weapons but you failed to specifiy at all, by close quarters you count as contact with the enemy, anything that shoots a bullet or porjectile is counted as a ranged weapon, I don't know how you get levels of close quarters when really it says itself ... CLOSE (This is the key part) Quarters ... in any kind of warfare history on nots of "Give no quarter" and "Close Quarters" usually meant anything in the range of melee ... therefore the lance falls quite happily into this range of close quarters because it needs you to get close to be used ... in the view of Muskets vs Lances the Lance is a Close Quarter weapon ... how can you think that Lances are suddenly projectile?

But the lance an innefective weapon ... why the feck was it used then ... The point was the guy with the sabre would be lucky to get passed the lance point most of the time but if he did he could cause havok, which they do in this game ... infact rmoving the ability to block would be more historically accurate than the bullcrap of making it slower ... does that make sense to you?

Well I apologise if I was unclear with my terminology. Wherever I said 'not meant to be close-quarters weapon' I meant it in a relative sense to that of a sabre or bayonet. But anyway the general aim of such a nerf is to limit its presence in close-quarters, and now that you've shown that you acknowledge a 'scale of close-quarterness' I'm sure can see clear meaning in what I'm saying. The history source I quoted was, however, pretty clear that the lance was ineffective '(compared to the sabre)' in close-quarters combat.

In no way do I want the Lance to become an ineffective weapon, I just want to give some obvious limitations in order to reduce it's overwhelming potency on the battlefield.

Removing the ability to block is an interesting one. That would probably not be severe enough to limit the lancer on horseback, as I have never seen the importance of blocking for the Lancer when it faces infantry, I would also not see it affecting the Lancer's performance in 1vs1 or low numbers combat too much. Not a strong enough nerf I don't think. I can also see a block-removal ruining foot gameplay of the lance for anyone who picks one up (I love using lances on foot) or even to the lancer himself when he is de-horsed. I wouldn't want to see that loss of variety.

Does not hold this niche ... I've said about the oplygenye pike. The downside of the lance is ... its long, yes you guessed it its attack power is also its weakness ... at close close ranges it does 0 amounts of damage, compared to the bayonete which can still do its full attack damage at Close close close close closness quarters (Hope thats close enough :wink: ) ... but then again the lance isn't a close Quarter weapon and therefore dosn't exist in this paradox.

I've explained already that the Lance still retains a niche/speciality. The 'attack power' downside is pretty irrelevant considering that the only situations we are balancing for, and the most common situations to find a lancer in, are when the Lancer is moving at medium to high speed, when weapon damage is highly inflated.

ummm the lancers won't do as many headon attacks or stay into melee as much, which means back attack successes will go up, therefore covering for their missed kills headon ... but more experianced lancers will do so anyway.

Less risk? your not raising their health or stopping them from meleeing ... because thats how they get their kills ... Risking themselves. They arn't vulnerable for longer ... they can still be shot, stabbed and the likes before or after their attack anyway.

I'll re-do this for you:
According to oposum "who made a post on this a while ago) Speed Rating does affect the speed of the weapon on foot (for foot its just the speed of the weapon + Proficiency), its okay to compare as long as they are both on foot ... which you did.

I am really sorry I made a mess of one sentence in my post. When I said 'less risk' I meant 'more risk'. I have thus edited it so that it now makes sense.

As for the argument that 'back attacks' will increase; remember that the nerf will make the lancer weaker not only vs infantry but vs cavalry. This means that lancers will survive less often in the preliminary cavalry skirmishes, so even if the surviving Lancers resorted to back attacks there will be less of them around to do it in the latter stages of battles, thereby offsetting any kill-gains by such a change of method.

Albeit, I do not think 'back-attacking' will increase much more than it is currently, simply because for the average MM player a 'back-attack' option is always more economical than a 'head-on attack', and by this logic one would expect the average player to always maximise their 'back-attack' kills as much as possible anyway. Moreover, I don't think any more 'back-attack' opportunities would open for lancers considering that the nerf is not going to affect a majority of gameplay. With the nerf I think we'd see all Lancer kills reduced, once again for the reason that more lancers will die in the preliminary cav engagements.

EDIT: I am not too clear on the stats that affect foot and mounted gameplay, but I was confident in Oposum's words. However, I can't see much clarity in your 're-do', could you elabourate? It seems to contradict Oposum's knowledge quite a bit, where have you factored in 'Weight'?

Why do you apply an 'all or nothing' mentality to almost all points raised? It's not how things work. It doesn't have to be the longest in order to be a niche or a specialised weapon.

Do you know why I do? Because no one ever sees the extreme ... which if your balancing is one the the things that must be looked at ... if you allow one "historical" thing you give way to a hell of a lot more, its basically on the termanology of "If he can have it so can we" ... which in itself is an argumentative flaw but still must be looked at to stop it from happening if you fail to address the extreme you will never come up with balancement.

The Lance dosn't hold the niche of the longest weapon, considering it dosn't hold it within itself ... there are 5 types of lances for looks, 2 types overall for stats. I hope you knew this? the Musket dosn't even hold a niche. A Niche is comparable to applying to a small volume that need something ... the lance in itself is not a niche if its 1 class over 3/4 factions, the skirmishers of the 95th hold more of a niche for the only class with a bayoneted rifle.

The lancers hold a niche over the overview of all the classes but then its the same for all the classes.

Well I apologise if I was unclear with my terminology. Wherever I said 'not meant to be close-quarters weapon' I meant it in a relative sense to that of a sabre or bayonet. But anyway the general aim of such a nerf is to limit its presence in close-quarters, and now that you've shown that you acknowledge a 'scale of close-quarterness' I'm sure can see clear meaning in what I'm saying. The history source I quoted was, however, pretty clear that the lance was ineffective '(compared to the sabre)' in close-quarters combat.

In no way do I want the Lance to become an ineffective weapon, I just want to give some obvious limitations in order to reduce it's overwhelming potency on the battlefield.

Removing the ability to block is an interesting one. That would probably not be severe enough to limit the lancer on horseback, as I have never seen the importance of blocking for the Lancer when it faces infantry, I would also not see it affecting the Lancer's performance in 1vs1 or low numbers combat too much. Not a strong enough nerf I don't think. I can also see a block-removal ruining foot gameplay of the lance for anyone who picks one up (I love using lances on foot) or even to the lancer himself when he is de-horsed. I wouldn't want to see that loss of variety.

Close Quarter is a yes/no ... not a out of 10 opinion judgement. Pretty simple really.

So wait not being able to block on horseback is not severe but slower stabbing is? wtf are you on? go play lancer then come back, infact don't block with a lance ... then try attacking half as much ... see which is more to your disadvantage when a hussar cuts up your side.

Your not putting in or keeping a variety by slowing it down ... whenever you nurf something no matter what it is people will play it less ... because in gaming terms "Nurf" means bad.

EDIT: I am not too clear on the stats that affect foot and mounted gameplay, but I was confident in Oposum's words. However, I can't see much clarity in your 're-do', could you elabourate? It seems to contradict Oposum's knowledge quite a bit, where have you factored in 'Weight'?

Opposum had said proficiencies are not as effective on horseback as they are on foot ... hence the speed rating being effected on foot.

You were contradicting him saying your speed rating is not effected on foot.

Also as to weight considering its so small you never notice it in MM because you don't have armour I don't see how it is relevant at all.

Kator Viridian said:
Do you know why I do? Because no one ever sees the extreme ... which if your balancing is one the the things that must be looked at ... if you allow one "historical" thing you give way to a hell of a lot more, its basically on the termanology of "If he can have it so can we" ... which in itself is an argumentative flaw but still must be looked at to stop it from happening if you fail to address the extreme you will never come up with balancement.

The Lance dosn't hold the niche of the longest weapon, considering it dosn't hold it within itself ... there are 5 types of lances for looks, 2 types overall for stats. I hope you knew this? the Musket dosn't even hold a niche. A Niche is comparable to applying to a small volume that need something ... the lance in itself is not a niche if its 1 class over 3/4 factions, the skirmishers of the 95th hold more of a niche for the only class with a bayoneted rifle.

The lancers hold a niche over the overview of all the classes but then its the same for all the classes.

Lancers have a niche and are specialised if you view them in two lights:

1. If you look at them from a Cav only perspective they make up a minority of specialised Cavalry; with the niche of having the longest weapon.

2. Looking at them overall: They have the niche of having a horse and a long weapon. They have the niche of having pretty much the longest weapon in the game, whilst still having a large influence on gameplay, unlike the rarity of the opolcheniye pike.

I really can't see how you can think they are not a niche. Perhaps I should change my use of words. They're specialised, they have a unique specification, they're particularised, they're unique in the aspect of having the lance; this is what I mean by a niche. I hope any ambiguity is cleared up with that and that you do admit that Lancers are special in this light.

Close Quarter is a yes/no ... not a out of 10 opinion judgement. Pretty simple really.

So wait not being able to block on horseback is not severe but slower stabbing is? wtf are you on? go play lancer then come back, infact don't block with a lance ... then try attacking half as much ... see which is more to your disadvantage when a hussar cuts up your side.

Your not putting in or keeping a variety by slowing it down ... whenever you nurf something no matter what it is people will play it less ... because in gaming terms "Nurf" means bad.

I don't see losing the block as affecting Lancer vs Inf much at all, because rarely does a Lancer get close enough to need it. A slower lance will indefinitely affect the inf vs cav gameplay though.

Regarding Cav vs Cav, indeed the loss of the block would make it harder for lancers in close-quarters combat, but the lance will still have it's attacking strength which seems to be enough to keep other cavalry at a non-lethal distance. I find that the lance is fast enough to use as a 'fend off' tool as well as an attacking tool.

I'm not denying that this sort of nerf would work, but not as effectively, in my eyes, as a slower lance. Good idea nevertheless though. If slowing the lance down was in some way not possible I'd support it (IF the block on foot would somehow be retained).

Opposum had said proficiencies are not as effective on horseback as they are on foot ... hence the speed rating being effected on foot.

You were contradicting him saying your speed rating is not effected on foot.

Also as to weight considering its so small you never notice it in MM because you don't have armour I don't see how it is relevant at all.

Well, I am quoting Oposum directly here: 'Making lance heavier will only somewhat affect the walking speed of lancers (weight is only used in walking speed and stun calculations), you need to make lance slower in stats to do that '

When he said 'slower in the stats' I assumed the most obvious looking stat: 'speed rating'. I probably made a rather too rapid assumption that speed rating didn't affect the speed on foot that much. From what you've shown: 'speed on foot=proficiency + speed rating', if this is correct then the lance would indeed get slower on foot, but if proficiency was raised it could easily offset that loss of speed on foot and not have an effect on the cav play (as proficiency does not affect horseback play much'. So what I propose is very much possible without affecting the foot gameplay of a lance. I admit that contradiction but maintain that my idea is still viable.

Fair enough about 'weight'.

Evanovic

Although I've stated my opinions and made my points ample times in this thread already, I feel the need to clear the air and further explain a few things. I need to get a few things off my chest and, if I may, dispel the image of the mean bully who makes personal attacks without reason that I have been portrayed as in this thread.

I know you Evanovic. I knew this thread was coming before it surfaced, and I knew you would be the one to make it. I remember quite well the time when I first encountered and killed you memorably under your current alias. It was around the end of the summer, I encountered you on Official Battle, playing of course as lancer, while you played several sword cavalry varieties and infantry. I killed you several times, to mild complaining, when for a round or two you neglected your usual feeble dodge or attack to counter my couch with a statue-still downblock. You proceeded to light up general chat with how you "blocked my attack" and it didn't work, "wtf". etc..

You didn't know that couches were unblockable.

Now this kind of encounter/reaction speaks volumes to me when evaluating the experience of a warband player. Needless to say it counted a great deal for me when judging your character and opinions on this thread. But I will return to this momentarily. In the meantime please allow me to give a quick background of my history as a player.

I started playing Warband soon after its release, and was an avid fan of Mount and Blade and old development versions before then. The combat system and unique, original dynamics of this series, especially mounted combat, captured much of my imagination and even more of my time, as I'm sure it did many of you. The multiplayer aspect of Warband greatly excited me and I became even more of an enthusiast, taking great pleasure in the opportunity to hone my skills and face the challenges of other players from around the world. I was late to enter the mod playing community of this game. Being somewhat of a purist, I held the opinion that mods could only detract from the glorious game experience, and disdained at titles such as "persistent world", and "crpg". One fateful day I was killed by an admin gun in a server running Vincenzo's Admin Tools, this perplexed and slightly enraged me at the time, arousing my curiosity. Before long I had discovered Mount and Musket and begain to play avidly at the beginning of 2011.

Mount and Musket proved to me to be very different than most other mods. It offered a totally unique departure from the experience of native while still offering a competitive, skill based multiplayer experience. I see the classes and game of MM through the frame of the native experience. After all, the original game module should be the measure when comparing a mod. Coming as a veteran cavalry player and lancer from native, I was actually first attracted to MM because of the increased challenge and therefore fun when playing my preferred class.

I see the classes in MM as essentially divergences from native classes, and therefore the combat balance and game experience as a divergence.

-MM infantry are armed with firearms, something like a crossbow or bow with huge damage, accuracy/trajectory differences, and massively increased reload time. Line infantry are in the same weapon armed with a stabbing weapon very close to an awlpike of native, providing effective melee capabilities with strong anti-cavalry potential. The riflemen of most factions trade the bayonet for the increased range, accuracy and damage of rifled firearms. All classes in this mod lack shields, which has implications for combat overall, making all ranged attacks unblockable and changing the melee combat game. Overall, these infantry have both drawbacks and buffs when compared with their native counterparts of archers and infantry, being more limited in their equipment but being armed with effective melee and ranged attacks, which are even more effective in numbered volleys/reloading shifts.

-MM cavalry come in several varieties. I'll begin with the elephant in the thread: lancers. Lancers and indeed all cavalry are changed comparatively little from native. Lancers are armed with their namesake weapon standardized somewhere between the native light lance and heavy lance, depending on faction. These cavalrymen lose their emblematic shield and carry a curved sword/sabre through from their journey from medieval(native) times. Other cavalry bring to the Napoleonic battlefield the same sabre or similar blade and a shortened musket comparable to its infantry counterpart, or a massive sword with the range of a native two-handed sword and handling of a one-handed sword. The hussar alone bravely charges into the fray carrying only the sabre, the advantages from the speed, proficiency and handling of this class are debatable and based largely on personal preference. Any additional differences of equipment, proficiencies and horses are faction-variable and confer only situational advantages based on playing style and preference of player. (Lancer A prefers the the range of the French lance, while Lancer B prefers the speed of the Russian lance)(Cavalryman A prefers the speed and maneuverability of light horses, while Cavalryman B prefers the health and charging power of heavy horses.) (And everything in between.)

-MM also offers several "curve-ball" units and specialty classes, many with highly valuable battlefield abilities. Artillery offer an unprecedented potential to inflict high destruction at range to distance parts of the battlefield, armed with mostly marginal melee weapons and some degree of anti cavalry potential/LOL factor in the ramrods. Opelcheniye have their ubiquitous random collection of weapons, many of them unique and surprisingly useful. Scattered throughout the ranks are officers and standard-bearers, with an arsenal of swords and pistols, lances and melee weapons adding to battlefield diversity. Generals lead their armies with heavy swords and a health and horse health bonus. Musicians colour the battlefield and inspire/amuse many players, for what they are worth.

The idea that lancers are paramount to an unstoppable or overpowered aspect among their fellow cavalry armed with carbines and heavy swords, let alone such an aspect withing the menagerie of weapons and abilities listed above, with the mass of the common musket(deadly range+effective melee/anti cav) found all over the battlefield, is nothing but a misconception purveyed by the fallacies constantly bombarded at us by anti-lancer whiners who will always find something to complain about.

Every cavalry class and indeed game class will have application and advantages in certain situations. Lancers are strong on flat, fast ground where they can use their range and speed to full effect. Sword cavalry and dragoons gain the upper hand in rougher terrain where movement of cavalry is impaired. Its really not a hard concept to grasp. If you have trouble defeating a certain class, change your tactics and force the enemy to fight on ground favourable to your class.

This brings me back to you, Evanovic. I hope after hearing where I come from and my take on the mod, as well as our previous encounters, the remaining followers of this thread, if there are any, will better understand my lack of regard for many of your opinions and hopefully gain a bit of insight into the mechanics of combat and balance. If lancers aren't considered overpowered in native, which I am fairly confident most reasonable and experienced native players would agree they are not, then they certainly are not overpowered in this mod with its departures from native combat, as listed above. I believe that you and your fellows would only move on to the next most challenging game aspect to yourself, even if lancers were totally removed.

KillerMongoose said:

When did this happen? I recall him admonishing both several posters for whining and arguing about lancers in that thread, and myself for arguing and stating that he was tired of me talking about how my class is "perfect as is". However, the only thing close to what you are stating that I can recall is the claim of that "Mikkel the Great" individual, who I personally would consider less than reliable. Let's not let rumours get the better of us now, and I'l leave that at that.

In the end, any changes are of course completely up to the devs, and I am sure there will be many changes and additions to the mod in the next patch. I am also confident in the developers knowing what to remove/change for the betterment of the mod, and what would detract from the mod and serve only to cater to the vocal, whiny minority. They made this mod what it is now, and I have total faith that whatever they produce next will be a fun and engaging product, whatever changes they make. After all, we have waited long enough for it.

In any case, I believe any minor impact that this thread may have possibly had on the opinions of the devs and therefore outcome of the mod would have been realized in the beginning of the thread, when all parties involved had amply stated their opinions and before the thread became horribly TL;DR. For my would-be opponents in this debate: I really wouldn't be proud of the length of discussion contained herein. A massive amount of the posts, I am ashamed to say my own included, are regurgitated opinions and re-hashed facts. You seem overly proud of the responses you have elicited, most of which seem to be Kator half-trolling you for the LOLZ, and you pat yourself on the back because someone is perpetuating your discussion. Trust me, it doesn't mean you are winning.

Back
Top Bottom