MP Modern Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Yeah, the batches of dye were never "perfect". You'll get some bright green feldgrau like my M36 tunic or a dark steingrau/feldgrau mixture like my M40 trousers.

...and everything in between. However, thankfully, when a unit is outfitted all at once (not including replacements, etc.) the men will look uniform. You can see this in some early war photos.

However, this 16/17 timeframe was horrendously bloody with some unlucky Divisions being destroyed and reconstituted on a bi-monthly basis.

I agree with both of your arguments that the uniform, while it does look great, has too much of a blue tint.

Docm30 said:
Just look at the caps shown here. They're all photographed under the same conditions and the colour varies significantly. I've seen quite a few surviving uniforms and they range from straight grey to very green to brown. Sometimes they even have a slight blue tinge.

Skot the Sanguine said:
Docm30 said:
It's just that almost every illustration I've ever seen shows the post-1916 Germans in bluish grey trousers. Knötel, for example. That example was done by an artist working in 1930's Germany who probably had access to official documents and surviving examples.

Also, judging by the huge variations in Feldgrau, we may both be saying the same thing. It may have just been that the Feldgrau used for trousers was of the bluish sort, as opposed to the brown or green kinds.
...Knötel might have liked the way the stone grey trousers looked and preferred to illustrate German soldiers in them.

That's just not something respected military illustrators do. They make errors based on lack of knowledge or misinformation, but to suggest they make inaccuracies intentionally is pretty baseless unless you can prove otherwise.

On your first point, these are examples of original uniforms photographed recently.  One of the comments I made before was that fading can occur and it is hard to say for certain the divergence in coloring presently was so 90 years ago when they were all new examples.  Some might have been displayed in sunlight for many years while others stored away, so we can't make the assumption the coloring variety of them now reflects the period.  Bluehawk's quote saying "Different batches of dye, and the varied amount of wear meant that there was soon a large variety of shades of Feldgrau" is more compelling.

Regarding the second point, I didn't say it was an intentional misleading.  What I said is that he might have chosen his preferred types to paint.  The Feldgrau and Stone Grey might have both been common and correct to depict, so if he preferred one over the other he might have chosen to depict them more.

As for your conclusion to Bluehawk's information, namely that the trousers shouldn't be Feldgrau in the mod, I think that is quite poor.  He said point blank that they were issued starting in 1907 and it was only in August 1914 that Stone Grey trousers were introduced.  What this means is that by the start of the war, in the same month, virtually all regular army soldiers had Feldgrau trousers as well as reservists.  Those who enlisted at the outbreak or who were issued depot uniforms around then may have received Stone Grey trousers...but they would have been the minority.  The quote goes on to say "on September 21 1915, by Army order, the Steingrau trousers were authorized for wear with both the field uniform", which honestly doesn't make sense (the last part, "both the field uniform").  However, if it means that by September 1915 it became standard issue, then fine.  Yet, it also says by late 1917 this was recanted.

So, what this means is that throughout the period of Stone Grey trousers being the standard, there still would have been plenty of Feldgray trousers in circulation.  If you question how I come to this conclusion, simply sit down and look through numerous photographs of the 1916 and 1917 period and you will see that the Germans have a variety of tunics.  The relevance of this is that if the same logic you apply to Stone Grey trousers being the official type between late 1915-late 1917 meaning there should be no Feldgrau trousers in the mod, then the fact that the M1915 Tunic being the standard from late 1915 to early 1916 onward would also equate that neither the M1910 or M1910 Simplified tunics should be in the mod.  However, looking through photographs of the period one sees that the M1910 and M1910 Simplified tunics were still VERY common throughout the war...and similarly so would Feldgrau trousers, even in the late 1915-late 1917 period of the Stone Grey being standard.

So, my conclusion is that both should be represented (including piped and unpiped).  The ratio will be harder to guess, but probably 60% 40%.  Piping would go from a high % at the start of the war and decrease with time, becoming the minority probably by 1916...but that is a guess right now.

I never said that feldgrau trousers were never worn. I said they were grau/steingrau by regulation and if you only include one it should be the regulation one. That seems logical to me.

As for those photographs, yes they are modern, and probably have changed colour somewhat, but they are still much better than black and white photographs---it's impossible to tell if they're in feldgrau or steingrau in those.

I've presented illustrations to show the colour of the trousers and photographs to show the variations in the colour of feldgrau. What more can I do short of providing contemporary colour photos (which obviously won't happen)?

Anyway, I'm not even entirely sure what we're discussing anymore.

Docm30 said:
if you only include one it should be the regulation one.

I don't recall this ever being the case.  Maybe your assumption that there would be only one type of trousers in the game made you say that there should be no Feldgrau trousers.  I was arguing against the idea that there should be no Feldgrau trousers because they were in fact very common throughout the war, regardless of what regulation was current.

The issue is that, if the pants will be in the leg slot along with the boots, there are 16 possible combinations that would need to be textured (luckily only 2 that need to be modeled, because the only physical different in model would be between Schnurschuhe and Marschstiefel).

The combos would be either Feldgrau trousers with piping, without piping, Stonegrey trousers with piping, and without piping mixed with Marschstiefel that are brown, or blackened, or Schnurschuhe that are brown or blackened.  A total of 4 trouser types with 4 shoe types, yielding 16 different variants.

Update #15 German Uniforms
This update shows the variety of German uniforms that I have been working on. In a preview some time ago I showed the standard M1915 Bluse. Added to the mix are early war tunics which, while outdated, were still used in large amounts throughout the war, and a greatcoat.

M1915 Bluse
m1915_fin_zpsaeb321d8.png

M1910 Waffenrock Simplified
m1910sim_fin_zpsfcd56642.png

M1910 Waffenrock
m1910_fin_zps7c7d9d34.png

M1915 Mantel
m1915coat_fin_zps6fcc5a47.png

There are some minor issues, such as cuff length or the greatcoat's collar color, that have yet to be fixed. Originally, rigged in-game screenshots were supposed to be part of this update but there are a couple things that Joseph is currently fixing. We'll be showing the in-game shots sometime over the weekend if all goes to plan.

I've heard a lot of concerns over how long the mod is taking. Honestly, there's nothing we can do about it. We're working as fast as we can and like I often say, we're not being paid so the time we can devote to the mod is limited. Work is still going strong, we're far from dead. I'm working on gear for the uniforms, Betaknight is working on boots, Hudson on hats, Joseph on rigging, other team members on various things. Just be patient and allow us to do the best we can to bring you a mod worthy of the long wait.

Beautiful.  You aren't kidding about how much those normal maps make a difference.  :smile:

As for the concerns about the development time, I guess it is one of those unavoidable aspects where those who are not in the development loop assume no news is bad news, which is indeed often the case with mods.  However, I know personally that you guys are very active and moving along well.  I have been repetitively impressed by the short span between when I submit the requested research and info and the finishing of a beautiful looking in-game model and texture.

Hello this mod looks really intresting.
Just a few questions?
Is there a beta for this mod ?
What kind of weapons will there be? 
Is there a singleplayer?
Also some advice for weapons the germans had a bergmann mp18 submachine gun so it would be cool if you could add that in
(Not sure if you already know this) I just think it would be nice to have submachine guns to make it more fun.

Docm30 said:
PandaWarrior123 said:
Also some advice for weapons the germans had a bergmann mp18 submachine gun so it would be cool if you could add that in

In a mod set in 1916-17?

Yeah the bergmann was made in 1918 but I would rather have more weapons than missing it out because of one year

This is cool, will there be British troops? I will still play it if there isn't but I like playing as my own nationality :smile:

Akiba356 said:
...will there be British troops?

They will be added shortly after release.

PandaWarrior123 said:
There are hardly any people on the Verdun beta :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Am i like the only person who plays that game?

There's a pretty big /k/ following, but it hasn't gotten much media or sharing.

Back
Top Bottom