Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

We just have to axxept that language evolution has axxelerated. It might seem exxentric, but in end it's just how it is and attempts to preserve the language have never been very suxxesful anyway.

a6EWYw9_460swp.webp

In Denmark we have a joke that the word Høst (harvest) can't be pronounced at all in French - the letters H and ST being silent, and Ø not existing.

"When you add to that its versatility in forming other words - vaxxie, vax-a-thon, vaxinista - it became clear that vax was the standout in the crowd."
Vax and vaxx are both accepted spellings but the form with one x is more common.
:dead:

"Pronounce" has no qualitative meaning on its own. You can pronounce something correctly or incorrectly, or pronounce it in one accent or another, but telling someone to "pronounce X" is kind of meaningless, unless you just want them to say it normally because they have a specific accent you want to hear.

"When you add to that its versatility in forming other words - vaxxie, vax-a-thon, vaxinista - it became clear that vax was the standout in the crowd."
Vax and vaxx are both accepted spellings but the form with one x is more common.

:dead:
What are you talking about, it's such a great word, so versatile, you can make the same joke dozens of times.

(skip ahead to 9:04 for vaxx-imum cringe)

I'm not sure why Adorno keeps asking very precise English language questions - is it pure curiosity from phrases he encounters in literature or he needs to know specific meanings in medical texts. "If the patient can't enunciate, pronounce him dead."

Last edited:
I'm not sure why Adorno keeps asking very precise English language questions
This forum is filled with native English speakers so it's a good place for such questions that are not so clear to a foreigner.

In this case the dictionary defines the words closely.
They can both mean to announce or proclaim, and defining pronounce it says:
1. to enunciate or articulate (sounds, words, sentences, etc.).
2. to utter or sound in a particular manner in speaking: He pronounces his words indistinctly.
Enunciate:
1. to utter or pronounce (words, sentences, etc.), especially in an articulate or a particular manner: He enunciates his words distinctly.
dictionary.om

Theres nothing wrong in correcting people, only the way the correction is passed through and perceived :wink:

Holding and giving are opposites, but not for speeches. You can both hold and give a speech.
Are there situations where you'd use one over the other?

Are these sentences identical in meaning:
- He held a speech
- He gave a speech

or
- I was giving a speech
- I was holding a speech

Holding and giving are opposites, but not for speeches. You can both hold and give a speech.
Are there situations where you'd use one over the other?

Are these sentences identical in meaning:
- He held a speech
- He gave a speech

or
- I was giving a speech
- I was holding a speech
For all I know that usage may be common in the USA (where they refer to stump speeches), however in the UK it would be more normal to say:

He held a meeting or debate.
He gave a speech.

Holding and giving are not always opposites. What about holding and dropping, or giving and taking?
You can also give her the D while holding it, if you are trying to ram your way in. Not nice!

I know they're not exact opposites. I was being a little facetious in how odd it is to both hold and give something.
Interesting there might be UK/US differences here.
"Giving a speech" is more common but I have sometimes heard the term "he held a speech" e.g., and it might be from the US.

Back
Top Bottom