Gore and Dismemberment - removeable limbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
it would be great to dismember everyone, cut off there heads, harms or slice there bodies in half with a storm of blood following, but this game is 12+ :sad: that means no real gore is allowed to happen, but there could be a setting to hide all of the blood so it couldnt be that bad.

GO play Severance:blade of Darkness. It's a wonderful game with nice story, and it has those features.

Why? i didnt pay 20 pound for nothing! why would i pay 20 pound and then leave this game? this is MY suggestion, what I think would be good, it doesnt mean its going to happen, i dont want to move to another game, this game isnt a completed game like morrowind oblivion or something like that, so as the ideas come in the game development should get better ideas as they continue its development

I think that's like yelling that your car doesn't have leather seating after you bought it. Yeah, it might give the engineers something to think about, but it is ultimately futile if the company is geared towards making their cars as affordable and cheap as physically possible.
The game is completed following the release into the mainstream after 1.0+ happened. They can make patches, but if you define the ability to making such patches as work to finish an incomplete game, than figuratively, there is no game out there that is finished.

Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
it would be great to dismember everyone, cut off there heads, harms or slice there bodies in half with a storm of blood following, but this game is 12+ :sad: that means no real gore is allowed to happen, but there could be a setting to hide all of the blood so it couldnt be that bad.

GO play Severance:blade of Darkness. It's a wonderful game with nice story, and it has those features.

Why? i didnt pay 20 pound for nothing! why would i pay 20 pound and then leave this game? this is MY suggestion, what I think would be good, it doesnt mean its going to happen, i dont want to move to another game, this game isnt a completed game like morrowind oblivion or something like that, so as the ideas come in the game development should get better ideas as they continue its development

Mind your manners. I didn't tell you to leave this game, I suggested an old game that you might like. I love M&B too, but I know very well that there isn't everything I'd like. However, if you paid 20 pounds for a medieval REALISTIC game, you've spent nicely your money, if you paid hoping for a fantasy-like game, you were wrong, because you'll never see a head easily cut away from a body after an even powerful swing with a very sharp sword. Only specifically built weapons could do this (katans too, but only if properly used).

AND, I did not tell you to leave. I repeat, I just suggested you a game I loved. Now, I'm sorry you didn't understand what was the origin of my suggestion, but you should think before you post.

vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:

Mind your manners. I didn't tell you to leave this game, I suggested an old game that you might like. I love M&B too, but I know very well that there isn't everything I'd like. However, if you paid 20 pounds for a medieval REALISTIC game, you've spent nicely your money, if you paid hoping for a fantasy-like game, you were wrong, because you'll never see a head easily cut away from a body after an even powerful swing with a very sharp sword. Only specifically built weapons could do this (katans too, but only if properly used).

AND, I did not tell you to leave. I repeat, I just suggested you a game I loved. Now, I'm sorry you didn't understand what was the origin of my suggestion, but you should think before you post.
I understand what you said lol, but im just saying what i think.... i thank you for your recommendation but like i said, i dont want to pay for another game.

From the many comments i have read and had been replied to, i believe many people want to call this a Realistic Medieval Game, In the medieval times people were executed, they were raped, they were tortured, and if you were lucky enough to get out of a battle without losing a limb - witch would have been Almost impossible - you would have to atleast behead -  dismember someone to get to that far in war time life...

Cutting people in half? What sort of ridiculousness is this?

First of all, I doubt that few people, if anyone is able to chop someone's torso in half, even if they were naked. Maybe partially severed (the blade is half-way in, but stopped around the spinal area) for naked looters. As for anyone wearing mail or even cloth armor, no blade will leave any grotesque severing in the torso.

As for decapitations - Once again, people watch too many movies. It's not as easy to tear off someone's head as you think, especially if they were wearing a mail or cloth neckguard. Even on a bare neck and held perfectly still, many victims to medieval executioners had to be struck twice, or even three times with the axe before their head came off.

As for severed limbs (arms/legs), I don't have any objections. It would add a little element to combat. Though, IMO, it's a bit unnecessary.

Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:

I understand what you said lol, but im just saying what i think.... i thank you for your recommendation but like i said, i dont want to pay for another game.

From the many comments i have read and had been replied to, i believe many people want to call this a Realistic Medieval Game, In the medieval times people were executed, they were raped, they were tortured, and if you were lucky enough to get out of a battle without losing a limb - witch would have been Almost impossible - you would have to atleast behead -  dismember someone to get to that far in war time life...

You've watched too many fantasy films, believe someone whose major interest (aside from my love) is medieval weaponry. Being cut to shreds by a sword or axe is not that easy. Yes, a lot of violences were committed, but you'll never cut a man in half with a twohanded sword, not even if he's naked and sleeping. Not even if he's dead. Come on...most of medieval deaths in combat were due to minor BUT infected wounds, bone breaking from pure blunt damage (try to hit a cucumber with a leather helm on it. You'll never cut it, not even with all of your might, but it will be broken inside, by the sheer force of the blow) and internal trauma. When someone was so unlucky to lose something, it was one or two fingers, in the worst case, a whole hand (though only because the medic had to amputate it) and most of those people died from bleeding. I've studied these things for 10 years at least.

Vorudain is correct, lopping off limbs is a lot harder than movies like Kill Bill (awesome as it may be) make it out to be.  Most weapons simply don't have the cutting power to go through a limb with a single blow.  However once you get curved weapons like katanas and curved executioner axes (I dunno what you would call them) It get easier simply because of the design.  Thats why late guillotines aren't designed with a straight blade, its angled to make slicing easier.  That isn't to say being able to lob your enemy's head off wouldn't be awesome, it would just take a long time to implement.

vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:

You've watched too many fantasy films, believe someone whose major interest (aside from my love) is medieval weaponry. Being cut to shreds by a sword or axe is not that easy. Yes, a lot of violences were committed, but you'll never cut a man in half with a twohanded sword, not even if he's naked and sleeping. Not even if he's dead. Come on...most of medieval deaths in combat were due to minor BUT infected wounds, bone breaking from pure blunt damage (try to hit a cucumber with a leather helm on it. You'll never cut it, not even with all of your might, but it will be broken inside, by the sheer force of the blow) and internal trauma. When someone was so unlucky to lose something, it was one or two fingers, in the worst case, a whole hand (though only because the medic had to amputate it) and most of those people died from bleeding. I've studied these things for 10 years at least.

If you had studied this for so many years then you would understand people Can be cut in half by large claymores or even samurai swords.

depending on what your wearing, if its ring mail or just iron armored then it would be a different, not many men could slash open through a block of steel - infact no man could.

but you can dismember people with an axe or a sword.

Give an adult man - not a weakling as in these days - a sharpened sword - and he could slice someone in half, put him in utter rage and he could very well slice them into pieces :razz:

Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:

If you had studied this for so many years then you would understand people Can be cut in half by large claymores or even samurai swords.

depending on what your wearing, if its ring mail or just iron armored then it would be a different, not many men could slash open through a block of steel - infact no man could.

Give an adult man - not a weakling as in these days - a sharpened sword - and he could slice someone in half, put him in utter rage and he could very well slice them into pieces :razz:

WHAT?! DID YOU EVER TRY IT YOURSELF OF A DAMNED COW'S RIBCAGE?

As a bet, I tried it.
I tried with a SHARP claymore. Now, I'm not a very strong man, but I can handle them effectively, and I charged vertically, with that huge weapon over my head, and the moment it was in front of me, I stopped while shlashing, so my momentum was all given to the blade. This, plus the weight and the sharpness of the blade, should have been enough to cut it (and I was striking it in a parallel sense to the direction of the ribs, so it was easier. And NO, I didn't hit a rib, I stroke bewtween two of them).

Well after half way, it stuck and I fell, for blade MANAGED, thanks to my effort, to get to the spine, but then my handle started to trembe in my hands, and i could not hold on to it to sustain me.

After this, will you accept my point? It' IMPOSSIBLE to cut someone in half with a single stroke, not even if unarmored and DEAD, with ALL of his muscles relaxed! Are you serious? You're not strong enough, and if you were, the counter-stroke given by the reaction of the body after the action of your blade would crush you hand! That's why a lot of knights used Flails while on mount - the inertia was partially absorbed by the chain, so the blow would still be powerful, though a bit less, but you would be safe.

Cutting a man to pieces? I hope you were joking! The human body is a damned war machine, strong and powerful! It's not easy to impale it, let alone DISMEMBER IT!

vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:
vorudain said:
Genghis18772 said:

WHAT?! DID YOU EVER TRY IT YOURSELF OF A DAMNED COW'S RIBCAGE?

As a bet, I tried it.
I tried with a SHARP claymore. Now, I'm not a very strong man, but I can handle them effectively, and I charged vertically, with that huge weapon over my head, and the moment it was in front of me, I stopped while shlashing, so my momentum was all given to the blade. This, plus the weight and the sharpness of the blade, should have been enough to cut it (and I was striking it in a parallel sense to the direction of the ribs, so it was easier. And NO, I didn't hit a rib, I stroke bewtween two of them).

Well after half way, it stuck and I fell, for blade MANAGED, thanks to my effort, to get to the spine, but then my handle started to trembe in my hands, and i could not hold on to it to sustain me.

After this, will you accept my point? It' IMPOSSIBLE to cut someone in half with a single stroke, not even if unarmored and DEAD, with ALL of his muscles relaxed! Are you serious? You're not strong enough, and if you were, the counter-stroke given by the reaction of the body after the action of your blade would crush you hand! That's why a lot of knights used Flails while on mount - the inertia was partially absorbed by the chain, so the blow would still be powerful, though a bit less, but you would be safe.

Cutting a man to pieces? I hope you were joking! The human body is a damned war machine, strong and powerful! It's not easy to impale it, let alone DISMEMBER IT!

I mainly quoted this post so it would look epic.

Supposedly with some of the massive 2 handed swords you could cut a man from shoulder to groin.  At least that is what people at Scottish games tell people. After picking up some of those huge swords I could believe an unarmored man could be cut in half lengthwise with one of them but have no way to prove it and not really interested in trying!

But really, gore and dismemberment is cool in games but i believe most limb-loss after battles were done because the limb was so badly damaged or done due to disease. 

You guess wrong, the human body is VERY strong. In order to achieve such a thing, your body would be so soft to be broken by a mere punch.

Vorudain is right the human body is strong and thus much more resilient then you think,
and especially in armour it gets tougher.
But it is not impossible to chop of arms, hands, feet, legs and heads but slicing a man in 2
in one stroke is something few people have done.

After a horizontal slash aimed and landed in the belly region on an un unarmored opponent, not ready
lets think about how wide and broad is your average man lets say 80 - 90 centimeters around his waist.
Remember each centimeter you pass trough decreases your power and speed and there is a few to pass trough.

So lets say you are a strong well built warrior who has trained most your life,
wilding a curved twohanded sword with the impact power at its tips,
making the strongest slash you can muster, using all your energy at an unaware opponent from the front.

1. If your strike would hit the spine it is most certainly game over, except if he was leaning the opposite direction the
hit struck him. Then you have come half ways a deadly strike but not splitting him in 2.

2. If you lets lets say just missed the spine and sliced him from side to side this might make him fall apart.
As his upper body is only kept up by his back muscles this might make his torso fall backward to his ankle's
and thus dislocating his spine, but mostly his torso would fall forward as that is the standard defensive reaction
of the human body, to lean forward and protect head and torso with your arms making the weight centered forward.
As before he is not split in 2.

Arms and such are as you all know just a fraction as wide as your belly, torso and legs.
Let say you are the warrior i described before.

When you make a horizontal slash on a fore arm shoulder or hand it is a good chance the might fall off
after the first chop, this is why even if the arm is not severed it is probably relay damaged and might just
fall of from its own weight.
The heavier the body part the greater the chance and this applies to all part but especially legs as you have your entire
half or all body wight on it (depends on if you are in motion or not).

But i do believe someone has done this sometime, nothing is impossible.

So if you do not believe me read anatomy and martial arts and give me another opinion.

Belzarius

Even if you could slice a man in half, even though this man probably has padding and other armor on, would you really want to? Its not a very practical battle move.

Genghis18772 said:

May I remind you of historical bias? People tend to exaggerate their own histories to make themselves look better to others and to their own citizens. Cutting a person in half with one strike is impossible, even for the men that compete in lumbering competitions. It would take a machine to exercise the force necessary to render a live person in half in one go.

Depending one where you hit the limbs, I agree that it is not physically impossible. But the chances of everything going right where the majority of the people are equipped for battle is not very high. Unless you're an Auwschitz victim, or suffer from massive malnutrition and over working, your bones are not going to be broken that easily.
Take into factor that unless a person has a supernatural will, his arm is going to go slack when it is hit, if not propelled in the other direction. It is much easier to cut something when it is held still, arms and legs are not like that. They have a tendency to move away from impact.
I think you need to take into account of post-battle mutilation and dismemberment in accordance with evidence.
The spine may not be as resistant to damage as the neck, but to go through it and then the entire front, or after you've gone through the entire front of the body is ludicrous in terms of a single swing performed by a human. Muscle, intestinal lining, skin, not to include all the fluids in them and inside the body will cause considerable resistance to a weapon.

not perfect but these might be able to finish this debate once and for all. or completely reignite it.

please be warned the following links are of a mature nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4j3mvrDyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mCNoqqK0k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAKTjOQJwQ&feature=related

i do hope this can help this discussion

I think about every one of the frequent posters in this thread has seen these. Still, a living body is different to a dead one without blood and all. Bone density changes, meat too...

Ahahahahaahhaa

I always hang my enemies mid air, gut them and then have them stand perfectly still before I strike too!

It's all about context.

Besides, I rented Mortal Combat: Armageddon or Annilhation or somesuch to have a fighting game to play with my friends, and let me tell you that slicing dudes in half makes combat shameless and comical, not gritty and awesome!

Here's a thought - what games have done gore and dismemberment well? I'd love to know.

-Lance

Merlkir said:
I think about every one of the frequent posters in this thread has seen these. Still, a living body is different to a dead one without blood and all. Bone density changes, meat too...

and i believe i have been around long enough to realize that these have been seen(which is why they are so easy to find), the point still is true that some dismemberment is possible (even in reality, let alone in a virtual format) and sadly some people wish to see this, i do not see how it would be in implemented in M&B, but let it please stand that under some circumstances it is possible to cause truly horrendous wounds including  decapitation and dismemberment to the human body with a hand held blade of some form.

Back
Top Bottom