General discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi everyone! My name is Dan and I'm representative of Russian publisher WFaS "Snowball Studios". Feel free to voice your suggestions about the tournament! :smile:

This topic is for general discussion of Summer Cup competition.

First suggestion:
Maybe you should eliminate auto-block hack BEFORE starting a tournament like this ?
Yesterday on duel server, few people were proud of using this hack, and I haven't noticed anything strange in their fights - they looked like great manual blockers (but I never seen their nicks before). So talking about this hack as detectable, is just pure lying.

I haven't played WFAS so much. But I can imagine that some ex warband players who now play this game can win easily against many WFAS players in duel. Atleast it was for me, when I was in an WFAS duel server. Almost no one could block simple attacks.  :roll:
  My point is that there're many great players who can block most attacks easily without cheats.

I think they were just messing around saying they hack. Very unlikely someone who hacks will admit it en publique. Looking forward to the cup, I like how it´s all official :grin:

Edit: rules state you can only capture with FRAPS or print screen. I hope screenshots using steam are also allowed?

Everyone has access to this hack (google.com is public), and we are talking about prices here.
Do you really think people won't use this hack to get graphic card for free (and a fame) ?
The thing is, when you block by yourself, you can be amazing, but you will make mistakes from time to time, even Narrator makes a mistakes ;P
With hack you won't make any mis-block, because block direction will be set automatically. So your job will be just using RMB, direction will be automatically selected.
The worst thing is, it won't change ANYTHING in your playing style. You will do everything exactly same like before, but you won't make mis-blocks (sometimes I want to block let's say right side, but game will block down-side, because I moved camera down a bit same time). It don't happens if you uses hack, so using it gives you huge advantage, even if you are good player.
BTW: I'm not using it obviously, but I guess you will find this out only when (if?) they finally fix this.

If that's the case I suggest fixing that first or putting up extra protection, I'm not entering a tournament where people are able to hack. And I doubt anyone else will (except the hackers..)

I'd like to hear what a WFAS guy has to say about this first though

"The use of third party programs in conjunction with WFAS to aid in attacking or blocking is strictly forbidden and will result in immediate disqualification from the tournament regardless of positioning in the bracket. This includes but is not limited to any forms of "autoblock hacks" or mouse/keyboard macros producing simulated input. "

Out of interest, do you have any means of enforcing this? I know that the detection of the auto-block hack is entirely possible, but regarding for instance macro-feints, do you have any way to detect if someone is using them?

Let me start by saying how disappointing it is you're organizing official tournaments in WFaS when Warband has a much larger competitive playerbase, which you've largely ignored for the last year. Maybe you're trying to get more of warband's competitive community to buy WFaS. Or is it because Warband's players are willing to organize their own tournaments whereas there's been so little competition in WFaS that you feel the need to prop it up?

Ok, aside from that, here's some concerns about the format:

Deathmatch rules:

If you want to qualify for duels you’ll need to collect 30 points in deathmatch between players from all over the world during the course of 12 matches.

Deathmatch stage will last for three weeks. There’ll be four matches per week (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday).

Monday/Wednesday - 9pm
Saturday/Sunday - 1pm

We will have NA (Central time) and EU (GMT) servers. Time takes place in what time zone per server.

Players who place first, second or third get winning points:

1st place- 5 points
2nd place - 3 points
3rd place - 2 points

Time limit for each round is 25 minutes.

Firstly, why are you doing qualifiers in a completely different game mode to the rest of the tournament? Since the end of the tournament is melee weapon restricted, you're attempting to test who is the best entrant under those restrictions. But you can only enter that tournament if you win some deathmatch where you can play cavalry and rangers? How does that make sense?

Also, disregarding that, 12 matches with a cutoff of 30 points for qualification? That means that only FOUR PLAYERS can make it to the actual tournament. 10 points on offer for 12 matches = 120 points awarded total. 120 / 30 = 4. Correct me if I'm being stupid please.

There'll be one server per region correct? How large will the server be? Surely there's an unfair advantage if you can't even get on the server for some of the 25 minute sessions because the server is full. The whole deathmatch idea is a goofy lottery.

-All matches will be played on Fastest combat speed. There will be no exceptions to this rule.

I don't have a problem with the decision to play fastest (not that it was an informed decision on your part since you're just using LordHasek's LES rules) but I asked a friend with WFaS installed earlier today to check the server list. There was one duel server on the list, normal combat speed. Why is an official competition being run for a mode that the community doesn't play and thus competitors can't practice on? Are the incredibly strange deathmatch qualifiers also on fastest? There are two deathmatch servers on his list, both also normal combat speed.

-All servers must be based in NA/EU and agreed upon by the duelists. A reasonable effort must be made to minimize any ping gap between players.
For example, it is reasonable for a player to request a fight on a server where both players have 60 ping rather than on a server where one receives 90 ping and the other receives 15 ping.

Why are the duels cross-continent when the deathmatch portion is regional?

Also in regards to the other thread asking for judges, what do you have to do to qualify as a judge? Can competitors be judges? Surely randomly selected players can't be impartial judges. What will the judges be allowed to make calls on?

I'd appreciate an answer to these concerns Yazzy. I think others would too judging by your single sign up all day even with the offer of prizes!

Good point. When will the official server with a different mode than the Co-op?
Additionally, perhaps some anti-cheat protection.

Anyone got a clue on how the ping will be for the Australians? Theres a fairly strong community over here too :grin:

[M] said:
Let me start by saying how disappointing it is you're organizing official tournaments in WFaS when Warband has a much larger competitive playerbase, which you've largely ignored for the last year. Maybe you're trying to get more of warband's competitive community to buy WFaS. Or is it because Warband's players are willing to organize their own tournaments whereas there's been so little competition in WFaS that you feel the need to prop it up?
This has plagued my mind as well :/

Especially since there is Nvdidia prizes. Last I heard, the t-shirts from the first Nation Cup never arrived at the Russian Team. And the second nation cup, had no prizes at all.

Back
Top Bottom