Fir Áraig

Users who are viewing this thread

Fir Áraig welcomes new recruit Somhairle mac Leóid, or Sumarliðr son of Ljótr to the Norse of the Suðreyjar.

Fir Áraig would like to say a hearty thank you to the great guys in Erlingar for allowing us to fill their ranks and fight with them agianst FenrisBarn in thier skirmish on the 06/01/12!

We recorded the scores as - Map: Taiga - FenrisBarn 5 - 0 Erlingar & Fir Áraig                     
                                                      Trollskogr -          5 - 1
                                                      Fullford -              4 - 5

Thanks and well played to all who played! Hope to be involved in many more such-like events! :smile:

Thanks for the skirmish. It was great fun to fight with/against you!

Screenshots:

mb11c.jpg
mb10i.jpg
mb12k.jpg

And thank you Celt and all of Fír Áraig - Hopefully we will fight alongside/against each other again soon!  :smile:

PS.
I just wanted to post this one again, if someone missed it:
mb12k.jpg

Cherish that moment Thorkell! :grin:

Thanks for the match Fir Áraig! As I've already told Ualraig this was something we thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait to do again! You guys fought well, did so together, more so than I'd expected of two clans joining up to face us and gave us a serious challenge - we truly appreciated you joining in.

I'll see if any of us got some screenshots. :smile:

Can't wait for another!

Bjorn

Out of just looking at our friend Celtichugs avatar and personal text, it got me thinking.

Calgacus must have been one hell of a special character. A guy who offered free hugs so many centuries ago, it's certainly most intriguing in several aspects.

Why did he do it? What did he wish to accomplish with it, if anything? Perhaps you can enlighten me old gaellic chap? :smile:

Well firstly, lol! :grin: That gave me a great laugh this morning!

Here is the 'historical' Calgacus, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyj0k75PwE.

But, I imagine him to be a much friendlier fellow than Tacitus makes him out to be! His name means "Swords-man", though it could mean "One Who Bares a Penis" (True). But, I imagine upon the wet and windy top of Mons Graupius in Aberdeenshire, Calgacus offered the Romans and Agricula the well sought after Hugs of Peace...

However, Tacitus wanted glory for Rome, where Agricula only wanted hugs and body-warmth so changed the tale a little... :razz:

Hey Fir Áraig

I found this short poem scribbled onto the margin of some scroll by an Irish monk in the 8th century.
Was that any of you guys?  :razz:

Rough is the wind tonight,
Tossing the sea's white hair.
I need not dread the fierce Viking
Crossing the Irish Sea.

If yes, do not underestimate our sailing skills. We might strike when you least expect it.

*Slowly puts away ink and quill* Uhm... No... :razz:

That's really awsome! Where did you find that?

Alot of Irish proverbs and notes where written by Irish monks into margins of books etc. Cramed into any space they could find and is where alot of historians look when diverging information on Gaelic and Irish history.

I may use that quote for our page! Thank you very much Hengist, really appreiciate you sharing that! Thank you! :smile:

Very welcome, Celtic. Glad you like it. I also think it has some charm since its so short but tells us so much.
Well, I found this bibliography of Irish art and literature in the library today and found the poem there.
It's in different versions on the web as well.

Barabas said:
Hengist said:
We might strike when you least expect it.

I bet that is because you get lost so badly! :razz:

Touché.  :razz:

Dansk viking said:
And thank you Celt and all of Fír Áraig - Hopefully we will fight alongside/against each other again soon!  :smile:

PS.
I just wanted to post this one again, if someone missed it:
mb12k.jpg

Thank you for this Thorkell, you are officially added to my "Hit-List" and I will look for you on the field!

I will make sure to decap you soon and post the screenshot here so we can both admire our handy work :smile: See you soon.....

Take Care -U

Back
Top Bottom