Enemy Front - new World War II shooter

Users who are viewing this thread

F.F.C._fritz

Grandmaster Knight
Enemy Front was first announced in 2011. It should have marked the come back of Stuart Black and it should have been an old style World War II shooter, like the oldest Medal of Honors, inspired by movie such as "Where Eagles Dare" and exploring new world war two battles yet unseen in any game with possibly rare weapons.

Old footage (maybe set in Dunkirk, 1940):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMsYKuF6G8c

After Stuart Black left the project, City Interactive decided for overall changes in the project.
Enemy Front, coming for PC, PS3, Xbox 360 ecc. will be focused on the deeds of the European Resistance and set in Norway, France and Poland, during the Warsaw Uprising (1944). The game will feature non linear levels and has been described by destructoid.com as Bad Company 2 mixed with Far Cry 3 yet set in less known WW2 battles. As it seems, much of the focus will be on the campaign. The game should be finally out in June.

Here's a pair of articles to read:

http://www.destructoid.com/enemy-front-is-a-fresh-approach-to-world-war-ii-shooters-269684.phtml
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/30/5358082/enemy-front-explores-the-lesser-known-battles-of-wwii

A relatively current video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KD8YXuqmJA

Artwork and screens (warning, big images):
021382.jpg
137667552336.jpg
Enemy_Front_03.jpg
Enemy_Front_02.jpg

Trailer:

Personally, altough City Interactive doesn't have a really great career on their backs, having developed tons of mediocre games, I hope they succeed with this one. The premises are great and the graphic seems to be amazing. It's hardly happening, but WW2 shooter may be back, killing off the terrible Modern Warfare trend started with Call of Duty 4 six years ago. My fingers are crossed.

Radalan said:
How hard is it to make another Hidden & Dangerous?

Don't ask me. Love Hidden and Dangerous 2 and never understood why a third chapter never came.

I'm still wondering how hard could have been to conclude the Brothers in Arms series with a serious follow up to Hell's Highway. Instead they tried to come out with that terrible Furious 4.

In short, I'm missing those great world war two shooters. A lot. I'm tired of playing the old classics all over again :grin:

If they can manage to capture Medal of Honor Allied Assault's tight gunplay and more serious tone (with over-the-top commando missions based loosely on real espionage exploits) and combine that with the tactical freedom of a Far Cry and hopefully make the bases and villages feel less lifeless and procedural, then this will be the game of the year for all years.

But they won't accomplish that. We have to assume they'll fail or our hearts will be broken once again.

F.F.C._fritz said:
I'm still wondering how hard could have been to conclude the Brothers in Arms series with a serious follow up to Hell's Highway. Instead they tried to come out with that terrible Furious 4.
Same here. The run for the Objective XYZ in the first BiA is still one of my favorite gaming moments. What I would give to see Baker and the bunch freeze up to their asses in Bastogne :sad:

HoJu said:
F.F.C._fritz said:
Same here. The run for the Objective XYZ in the first BiA is still one of my favorite gaming moments. What I would give to see Baker and the bunch freeze up to their asses in Bastogne :sad:

Problem with BIA was that they tried too hard to parrot whatever WW2 thing was popular at the time. Hell's Highway's attempt at BoB/SPR gritty cinematic style was completely hamfisted, and I guess Furious 4 was an attempt to ride the waves Inglorious Basterds made.

They also tried to compensate for the small maps by making every weapon wildly inaccurate and weak. And there were enemy positions with magical forcefields on their front. The design basically forced the player to do everything "the right way" at the expense of immersion, experimentation, or any kind of actual tactile fun that is usually central to an FPS.

Nahkuri said:
HoJu said:
F.F.C._fritz said:

Problem with BIA was that they tried too hard to parrot whatever WW2 thing was popular at the time. Hell's Highway's attempt at BoB/SPR gritty cinematic style was completely hamfisted, and I guess Furious 4 was an attempt to ride the waves Inglorious Basterds made.

Most WW2 FPSs are more inspired by movies than they are by history. That's why you have hardly seen anything that wasn't Stalingrad or Berlin in eastern front or the invasion of Sicily in the southern. BiA, at least, although set in "pop" locations such as Normandy and Market Garden and heavily inspired by BoB, was based on the actual war actions of the 502° regiment - and was complete with documentation. And the story was pretty good (much better than the standard WW2 story you usually get in a game!)

That said, I'm curious to see the Warsaw Uprising in game along with the new "unseen" locations or settings. The realism thing doesn't bother me too much. As I like Red Orchestra, I'm ok with the classic WW2 FPS games. And a Bad Company 1 like game set in WW2 (which would have been a Kelly's Heroes game :grin:) would be my dream!

Back
Top Bottom