Emotions In Motion v.IV

Users who are viewing this thread

They say a self-diagnosis is almost always wrong, but in my case it's looking about right. My therapist agreed that I probably have Dysthymia, though she hasn't made a diagnosis yet.

In general. Mine refused to give me a set diagnosis until I rouded twenty. It's becasue there are so many changes going on more or less constantly in your brain during the teens it's impossible to say whether something, except in extreme cases of course, is just a phase or a real, lasting problem.

Amontadillo said:
Point of interest,  when were you diagnosed Teo?
As said above, around twenty. At least the first proper one. And that one was so far out in the left field it nearly left the track. Though they did peg me with a bunch of "preliminary diagnostic theories" before that. All of them too being so wrong my last shrink nearly pissed herself laughing when she read my diagnostic history. She was even kind enough to write an official epicrisis where she more or less mocked all the crap they'd tried to put on me before. And keeping the Aspie diagnosis unofficial between the two of us so as not to **** up any future job prospects for me. So on paper I'm completely sane. :razz:

Dryvus said:
Better than Burgass's GAYDS.
Teofish said:
You shouldn't mock people for birth defects.
Yeah, stop it guys.

ASSBURGER-6334.jpg

Teofish said:
Amontadillo said:
Though they did peg me with a bunch of "preliminary diagnostic theories" before that. All of them too being so wrong my last shrink nearly pissed herself laughing when she read my diagnostic history. She was even kind enough to write an official epicrisis where she more or less mocked all the crap they'd tried to put on me before.
I've had something similar in the past. When I was younger (11 or so, perhaps?), I had a cocksucker of a pediatrician who tried to slap me with muscular dystrophy, an eating disorder, and I don't remember what else. He then wanted to send me off to a shrink and to go get different tests iirc. My mom took me for one test, and then decided on her final solution: not to go back to that guy again. :lol: 

Teofish said:
In general. Mine refused to give me a set diagnosis until I rouded twenty. It's becasue there are so many changes going on more or less constantly in your brain during the teens it's impossible to say whether something, except in extreme cases of course, is just a phase or a real, lasting problem.

Amontadillo said:
As said above, around twenty. At least the first proper one. And that one was so far out in the left field it nearly left the track. Though they did peg me with a bunch of "preliminary diagnostic theories" before that. All of them too being so wrong my last shrink nearly pissed herself laughing when she read my diagnostic history. She was even kind enough to write an official epicrisis where she more or less mocked all the crap they'd tried to put on me before. And keeping the Aspie diagnosis unofficial between the two of us so as not to **** up any future job prospects for me. So on paper I'm completely sane. :razz:
A good doctor will generally know the difference between a phase and a problem. For example, a regular teenage depressive phase does not last over a year with no explicable cause. That's Dysthymia. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 13, for example. It wasn't just a "not focusing" phase.

ADD is different . It bottoms in a physiological defect. Same as my Aspergers, which I assume is why it took them so long to figure that one out. Psychological disorders however can't be properly diagnosed in an "unfinished" mind.

Can isn't the right word I suppose. Shouldn't, and usually won't is better. At least unless they're some quack who just wants to push make-feel-good pills on you and get you out instead of actually helping you.

That is not true. She's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist firstly so she isn't giving me pills. They just have different diagnoses requirements for adolescents then they do for adults.

Again, people aren't depressed for years with no significant break and no explicable cause (ex. traumatic event) if there isn't something wrong. I also excede the minimum amount of symptoms required to make a diagnoses by 3x.

Well of course you'd know all of this much better than someone who's ten years older than you and spent eight of those on that insane merry-go-round. :roll:
A psychologist can just as easily decide you need medication. And when they do that they just send you to a psychiatrist with a ****ing note. (Thankfully I refused all of those since the stupid ****ers wanted to give me antipsychotics.)
And I do believe I said they can shove a diagnosis on you at that age in some extreme cases. But most of them still believe they shouldn't. Since at your age your brain is still not fully developed, and the diagnostic spectrum could change significantly from year to year, or even month to month. I'm not saying it'll magically "cure" you at some point. But it still changes enough to make whatever diagnosis you had wrong. For example, a paranoid psychosis could easily slide into a paranoid personality disorder. And having to change diagnoses all the time creates a ****ton of paperwork. Not to mention it tends to label people as young as you in their own minds, effectively exacerbating the symptoms since you start subconsciously conforming to it.

Back
Top Bottom