discipline of troops

Users who are viewing this thread

cool_guy

Knight
how about giving all specific troops a discipline skill?
1-10 in discipline.

for example, and undisciplined troop (less than five in discipline) would sometimes charge without your orders, if the enemy is close enough. an undisciplined troop would not fall into formation very well (would be two steps ahead or behind everyone, skill less than 7), and they would seldom not even follow your orders until you give it again (skill less than 3).
a guy with a discipline skill of 0 would be a nightmare. the less the skill, the more the above would occur.

what you have to do is work on your army somehow. maybe conduct marches/drills with them to raise their discipline. it would make a lot better use of the Trainer skill. the higher your trainer skill, the more effective your drills and marches are. when you get to 10 with all your soldiers, your troops will be rigid and on guard. the formations would be perfectly straight, and your commands would be followed.

for the player, the discipline skill is useless for obvious reasons.
this would add a lot of variety to the armies, like a king's army would be all 10's, and a lord's 6-8. bandit armies would have all 0's, and maybe vary it based on faction. nords for example would not be very disciplined, because the nordic invaders didn't follow formation tactics anyhow, so their formations would be messy, and a few dudes would randomly go running out of formation as you advance. if you're playing as nords, though, you can get them disciplined.

discuss

I don't think this is such a great idea..
Whats the point in adding yet another skill to level up??
And I like my men pre-disciplined, would just make em harder to train up icf they charged on and got mass-raped by oncoming enemy-type dudes.
not really worth the effort to implement, imo.

Lord Mur said:
I don't think this is such a great idea..
Whats the point in adding yet another skill to level up??
And I like my men pre-disciplined, would just make em harder to train up icf they charged on and got mass-raped by oncoming enemy-type dudes.
not really worth the effort to implement, imo.
Well I'd like to see it in recruits, I mean, they are farmers ready to pick up arms, they shouldn't be as tamed as a good warrior, there should be some looking to prove themselves

sounds like merely a novelty, as "cool" as it is, it will end up being another skill to train and will get annoying, just another "have to do". So, no.

Bah, this would be great and realistic. I mean seriously a peasant or slave army wouldn't be able to make as neat formations as a veteran soldier...
Take the roman invasion on Gaul. The Romans had perfectly cut squares wheras the gallic barbarians charged randomly...who won... the romans 'course. Although the romans had superior weapon and armour the formations had a big role. Also I think it would be awesome if when your troops are losing badly and your men have low morale and discipline they might flee... without your orders. Just an idea. (they would flee sorta like in Medieval Total war. With high training skill you might be able to call your troops back before they leave the map.)

Jadow said:
Bah, this would be great and realistic. I mean seriously a peasant or slave army wouldn't be able to make as neat formations as a veteran soldier...
Take the roman invasion on Gaul. The Romans had perfectly cut squares wheras the gallic barbarians charged randomly...who won... the romans 'course. Although the romans had superior weapon and armour the formations had a big role. Also I think it would be awesome if when your troops are losing badly and your men have low morale and discipline they might flee... without your orders. Just an idea. (they would flee sorta like in Medieval Total war. With high training skill you might be able to call your troops back before they leave the map.)
I actually like that, and you mean much like horses escape/reach the border and dissapper?

well i like THAT bit, having a discipline system to coordinate how well your people stick together and form up, support each other and work as a team would be a good idea, but it might be easier just to include it under the "tactics" skill

Sound okay in theory, but in practice, what if all your troops are new recruits and have discipline of 0-3? It would be a disaster for the order system.

El Georgeo McFudge said:
Sound okay in theory, but in practice, what if all your troops are new recruits and have discipline of 0-3? It would be a disaster for the order system.
Exactly, So sparring with them would be much more needed

but that would also go again with the "annoying" for me,what about their disciplne is raised if you stay near them in battle as well? Shouting orders will help keep them in line until they become better soldiers

Krest44 said:
but that would also go again with the "annoying" for me,what about their disciplne is raised if you stay near them in battle as well? Shouting orders will help keep them in line until they become better soldiers
exactly what we've been saying
Recruits would require alot more work as its kinda like teaching a whole new kid to ride a bicycle instead of helping and old one REMEMBER how

i think this would over-complicate things. i think that the strategy side of things should stay on the map. this is not Calradia: Total War. This is Mount&Blade&Being Mobbed By Zealous Peasants

true, this kind of troop managing would probably do better on the strategy map then the battlefield

I am agreeing with Krest and Rageshrub, to be honest.
I mean it sounds pretty cool, but it would end up just being a pain in the arse. Some of my damned horse archers already charge ahead and get slaughtered, the wankers  :mad:
The game doesn't need to have this area devolped, imo.

To be honest, I love it.
I don't think this should be even considered before the strategy and AI systems are improved though.

Maedhros said:
To be honest, I love it.
I don't think this should be even considered before the strategy and AI systems are improved though.
I must agree, as it is NPCs arent even affected by anything we usually are by (Don't collect taxes, don't pay troops, don't need food, etc)

Back
Top Bottom