Betrayal at Calradia 0.2 - a Midkemia Mod for 1.x - Released July 15, 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

what about adding a tsurani black robe.  sure magic can't be used by the engine, but why not make them a final upgrade.
-very high wage
-rare (like only 1 or 2 in an army)
-give them a high powered staff (non lootable) so they do damage, and are not wimps.

Kesh Charioteer ?  could only make them mounted.
can't remember if only the true bloods used chariots, and since they didn't fight in war, might be pointless.
-high level mounted javelin throwers?

had a few more ideas, then the darn phone rang.  I'll post more later if I remember them.

Thanks for the suggestions!  Tsurani Black Robe (ie. Great One) is a good idea, and Magic is definitely possible, just check out the link below.  :wink:
Magic Mod - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,30512.0.html

so I could do something like the following to give some variety, etc.
        Tsurani ->  Tsurani Warrior ->  ?  ->    ?  -> Tsurani Strike Leader?
                        Tsurani Greater Path Apprentice -> Tsurani Great One (high level so it would take a long time to level up the apprentice)

Hello,

1st:

Iiiiiihaaaaaaaaa - I just wanted to post a new therad 'What about a Midkemia mod?', I read the things on my screen, clicked 'search forum' and.......... iiiiiihaaaaaaaa :smile:)

2nd:
I'm reading those books like all the time, so I do, really really do have some ideas :smile:)

I generally like the idea of 'what-if' scenario, here you have my suggestions:

According to what You said about 'who is involved' - factions:

Maybe get rid of the nighthawks as bandits - they were not very 'popular', better to make them appear in some quests, if you will add some (like 'rescue someone' etc, that would be perfect place for nighthawks imo).
As for bandits - in Western Realm there were plenty of cutthroats hanging around The King's Highway (not on it, but on the smugglers trade route through woods - see Serpentwar Saga, 1st tome), and a lots of goblins, trolls, giants and moredhel in the Northlands.

Kingdom patrols a Kings Highway all the time. Well, not during the tsurani struggle... Or do they? :wink: This is up to you :smile:

Dwarves as mercenaries are, hm, ok, but Elves are not... What about just a faction, allied with Kingdom, yet focused on defence only? Gotta think about this more, surely U'll hear from me :smile:

Weapons, armour, units:

Tsurani:
They had no horses - a small detachements of cavalary may be possible in mod, but very limited - remember they didn't know a horse when they invaded, yet they adopted quickly, and several years after the war every house had it's own cavalry, small numbers though.

Very good infantry - QUICK - high athletics. They were running around all their lives (Magician), and they were the fiercest warriors ever seen by Midkemian generals (The demonwar saga - Wrath of The Mad God - Tsurani were highly praised there by General from Novindus and by Kaspar from Olasko).

Some bowmen, poisoned arrows (Magician). Well, actually they had about same amounts of bowmen as Kingdom, yet not as separate units afair... So Bow/Sword supposingly... I'll check :smile:

Cho-Ja
Insectoids, six or eight legs, kind of a bug, good fighters (Magician).

WOODEN ARMS AND ARMOUR. Yet nearly as strong as steel. Mixed broadswords and great swords, I do not remember what kind of shields they used though... I'll ask my friend who is currently reading my copy of Magician (one of 2 i have, the other one is also lent)...
Armour was laminated, colorfull (Magician also, colours vary depending on a house and role afair)

Well, do remember that they had enough numbers to conquer the whole Midkemia in a decade, the only thing that prevented them from doing this was The Game Of The Council - the whole war was, well, just for fun...

Kingdom:
Just everything you would expect from Medieval army, though they did not use Longbows very often (It's mentioned that some people like Martin Longbow and his son Marcus used them, so heroes only).

Armour varied from leather to plate, but there are very limited details about it in the books. IMO medium troops were using mails, while plates were limited to elites and nobility.
Good Cavalry - Krondorian lancers and some light/medium cav. also.
Armoured and good shielded troops, dedicated archers and horse archers, lots of crossbows in general use, heavy ones mostly. Not a lot of two handed swords or polearms.
Dedicated 'special' units like Pathfinders or a special detachment of Calis krondorian commando... I forgot their name.

Kesh
Here you have a lot...

Armour and weps - more like Eastern and Roman armies had. Mix of Khergit with Rome :wink:

Dog soldiers - canon fodder, light or no armour... gotta check. Scimitairs.
Imperial Legion - just see Roman Legionaries :wink: Maybe mix them with late Egyptian armies a bit. They were not leaving the heart of Kesh very often though.
Imperial Charioters - Egypt again.
Cavalry - very good light one, I can tell you exact name of that nation who had it later.
Archers, horse archers, no crossbows.
As the TrueBloods were hunters mostly they valued spears.

Elves
Leather armour for sure in most cases.... geez gotta read Magician for the third time :smile: Well i'm finishing off 'The King's Bucannier' tomorrow so why not...

Longbows as the only bow type they used, no crossbows.
Unfortunatelly i do not remember what weapons their infantry used... Swords obviously, but...
No cavalry.

Dwarves
Hm hm... Hammers and axes... er.. later? :wink:

Moredhel
Light armour, bows (longbows?), swords, I do not remember any hint of cavalry in use.

Trolls, goblins and Giants...
There is a bit of info about them at battle of Armagar in Riftwar saga and in Krondor: The betrayal afair... I'll have a look. Primitive weps would do good here.

Ahh...

I donno what's next :smile:

Gimme a clue on how big the map will be and what will be on it.
Or tell me how to make a map, I'll do it myself :smile: Edit: Just tell me how what do you want on the map :smile: I'll take care of the rest.

If you plan to add some ships you can think of occasional raids from Durbin Slavers or Freeport pirates, or Queg...

There is a whole freaking lot of things which may be added, like some Pantathians trying to get to Sethanon (well, Moredhel may rise ne day under false phrophet Murmandamus or whatever was his name, and try to get to Sethanon), an occasional spawn of the deamon from Seventh Circle of Hell or even a Dread Lord so you'll have to ask Pug and Thomas to deal with it :smile:

Also there are a lot of special places and persons... but... eh... do you REALLY wanna read THAT much? :wink:

Cheers,
Sepa

Maybe add some heroes for every race,and some special heroes like tomas(in his golden armor) or pug (if you cant make him a magician just give him high surgery and wound treatment so he can be healer).

sepa - thanks very much, thats some great information and very helpful!

To everybody that posted recently I have been working on this.  However, now that the module system for 1.x has come out I am first going to port my Star Wars mod, then have to port the progress I have made on this mod, and then will continue to work on it.  :wink:  So it might be a couple weeks before the first beta version of this is out, and that release will be somewhat basic since I'll just be testing out the concept, etc.  Anyway, feel free to keep making suggestions, comments, or questions in this thread and I'll be sure to review them  :smile:

Hi Hokie,

I can give you some more info if u need, np.

I'm working on (or rather fighting with) world map right now, but I do have a thousand of questions and no answers...

Do you have any experience in map making?

And, more important - MAP SIZE. What to include? What about travel times? I tried just empty plains of different sizes and it seems that travel time is always 24h for the whole map...

HokieBT said:
The purpose of this thread is to judge interest and hopefully help me plan a mod based on Raymond E. Feist's books about Midkemia.  My plan is to set simple and realistic goals, so the first release will just be changing the factions/troops and hopefully renaming cities and creating a new world map.  Later release may add new models, change dialogs and add Magic or more advanced functionality but that is not planned for the first release.  I plan to start the coding in 0.960 but if I keep the changes limited to factions/troops/parties it should be easy to port to 1.x.  I can handle the scripting but could use some help with the mod design so any suggestions are appreciated.  My current plan is below:

The Story
A magical rift has opened between the worlds of Kelewan and Midkemia allowing the Tsurani Army to invade the land. After nine years of fighting against the Kingdom Army the Tsurani have managed to capture several towns and castles and continue to bring more armies through the rift. With the Kingdom armies weakened the Empire of Great Kesh has declared war and started to attack from the South.

Factions
- Kingdom of the Isles
- The Empire of Tsuranuanni
- The Empire of Great Kesh

Mercenaries
- Elves*
- Dwarves*
- Human Mercenaries

*Elves & Dwarves may eventually become two small factions but its easier to code them as mercenaries right now.

Outlaws/Bandits
- Brotherhood of Dark Path (Moredhel Elves)
- Nighthawks
- Human Bandits
- Trolls?
- Goblins?

Creating Troop Tree's for each faction
- It's been a while since I read the books and I don't currently have access to them so I could use some help with specific names of troops in each faction and what equipment they use, etc.

Creating a World Map - http://www.shoalcreek.com/feist/midkemia.htm
- If anybody wants to volunteer to create a world map it would be VERY appreciated.  It will probably be somewhat smaller or more limited than this map

Download
- This is still in development, I hope to release a beta version in the next few weeks
u are a genius i will do every thing i can to help feist is my favorite author i have some limited modin exp but i know feists books realy well i can help withe map and 3d modeling if u want my hep emal me @ [email protected] (yes i know i spelt milamber wrong) i wil create some samples asap

HokieBT said:
well, for anybody who likes this idea and is looking to help out, I can handle most of the 'modding' part, but I could use some suggestions for the overall design.  I haven't decide on things like what time in the series should this take place, what factions should there be, how big is the map, what are the troops, items, etc...  It's been a while since I read the book so any specifics you can remember would also help.

Right now I kinda like the idea I posted earlier, http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,48593.msg1258948.html#msg1258948 , where it would basically be a 'what-if' scenario if the rift wasn't closed and the Tsurani successfully invaded and had captured several castles/towns.  Kesh would then use that opportunity to attack from the south and the Kingdom would be at war with two factions.  How does that sound?

Then I also need to figure out the troop upgrade paths, I'm having a lot of difficulty with this so any suggestions wold be appreciated. Some concepts below:

Kingdom Militia -> Western Infantry -> Western Spearman  -> Western Swordman  -> La Mut Swordsman
                                                    Western Crossbowman -> Crydee Archer  -> Krondorian Pathfinder
                        Eastern Horseman -> Eastern Lancer          ->  Royal Knights    -> Rillanon Lancers
                                                        Eastern Horse Archer  - ?

Tsurani -    > Tsurani Soldier ->              ?          - > Tsurani Patrol Leader -> Tsurani Strike Leader ?

Kesh Militia -> Kesh Dog Soldier -> Kesh Legionaire  -> Keshian Imperial Guide ->  Kesh Izmalis
              -> Kesh Horseman    ->      ?
if you like i can make a sling for throwing stones if that woud help

HokieBT said:
The purpose of this thread is to judge interest and hopefully help me plan a mod based on Raymond E. Feist's books about Midkemia.  My plan is to set simple and realistic goals, so the first release will just be changing the factions/troops and hopefully renaming cities and creating a new world map.  Later release may add new models, change dialogs and add Magic or more advanced functionality but that is not planned for the first release.  I plan to start the coding in 0.960 but if I keep the changes limited to factions/troops/parties it should be easy to port to 1.x.  I can handle the scripting but could use some help with the mod design so any suggestions are appreciated.  My current plan is below:

The Story
A magical rift has opened between the worlds of Kelewan and Midkemia allowing the Tsurani Army to invade the land. After nine years of fighting against the Kingdom Army the Tsurani have managed to capture several towns and castles and continue to bring more armies through the rift. With the Kingdom armies weakened the Empire of Great Kesh has declared war and started to attack from the South.

Factions
- Kingdom of the Isles
- The Empire of Tsuranuanni
- The Empire of Great Kesh

Mercenaries
- Elves*
- Dwarves*
- Human Mercenaries

*Elves & Dwarves may eventually become two small factions but its easier to code them as mercenaries right now.

Outlaws/Bandits
- Brotherhood of Dark Path (Moredhel Elves)
- Nighthawks
- Human Bandits
- Trolls?
- Goblins?

Creating Troop Tree's for each faction
- It's been a while since I read the books and I don't currently have access to them so I could use some help with specific names of troops in each faction and what equipment they use, etc.

Creating a World Map - http://www.shoalcreek.com/feist/midkemia.htm
- If anybody wants to volunteer to create a world map it would be VERY appreciated.  It will probably be somewhat smaller or more limited than this map

Download
- This is still in development, I hope to release a beta version in the next few weeks

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :cry: :cry: :cry:WHERE DO U DOWNLOAD DA BLOODY TING?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I'm having trouble deciding on the story for this mod and what factions should be involved.... Some idea's of what we have considered are listed below.  I think I like option B the best but am open to any suggestions/comments, etc.

Option A

main Factions: Tsurani, Kingdom, Kesh
possibly Dwarves, Elves, Modhel as small factions?

Option B
Seigneur Locklear was unable to save Gorath from the Assassin. Therefore, Price Arutha was never warned of the upcoming Moredhel invasion of Kingdom.  The Moredhel army, lead by Delekhan, was able to capture several towns and castles in the North and the Kingdom army is fighting to hold them back. With the Kingdom armies weakened the Empire of Great Kesh has declared war and started to attack from the South.

main Factions: Kingdom, Morhel, Kesh
possibly Dwarves, Elves, as small factions?

Other Options
just a Mordhel vs Kingdom war
just a Kesh vs Kingdom war
just a Tsurani vs Kingdom war
civil war - East Kingdom vs West Kingdom
etc

Hey Hokie,

I do like the B, too - however, Moredhel were never interested in keeping the cities - their goal was Sethanon :wink:

My advice is to chose the factions we know most about as the main ones, so for sure Kingdom - there is a lot of info about them, than Tsurani or Kesh - not both or we will face map problems - basically it's not very possible to fit in the whole Kesh and Kingdom at the same time.
There is not much info about dwarves, elves and moredhel in the books, so making them a main faction is tricky - you will not be very accurate with the books... Well, unless we will contact The Autor himself :smile:
However, if you add goblins, trolls and giants to moredhel army, then u got a very nice faction indeed. The trouble is u need new models, but The Last Days have them, so maybe it's possible to talk with the people who are making that mod? Anyway, the B option is knocking on the door again...

I would be happy to see a story going on relatively small area, like Kingdom only, or even a part of it, simply because I can fit more details on the map then :smile:

Kesh would do nice as the 'border trouble maker' - bandits only.
There is an option that Kesh is invading, so they do have 1-2 cities on the bottom of the map only and lots of armies, and the player goal is either to conquer the kingdom or to 'repulse' the invasion...

Well, if we stick to B option u can use Tsurani and Kesh as the mercenaries - they were helping at battle of Sethanon.
Dwarves and Elves should be just 'bandit' factions, though neutral to kingdom, and u can add the people of Armengar.

Than make the map movement 10x slower and set the razing of Sethanon as ultimate goal for Moredhel armies, and u have a perfect mod :smile:)
There are only few ways from Northlands down to Sethanon so this may be a really interesting thing, especially if I place a few strongholds in the way - but there will be needed a small change in the game so army cannot pass the place with enemy's stronghold without taking it.

That's my 5 pennys :smile:

sepa

thanks sepa, thats some good info.  I agree keeping the main factions as things we are most familiar with will make it better/easier.  Dwarf or Elf would probably be VERY small factions (if we even added them) so they would just be around Elvandar and Stone Mountain, etc.  I did get permission from Highelf to use some of his models from Fantasy Mod, so we have some elven, troll, orc, type weapons, faces, armor, etc, that we could probably use.  So I think I could make the Mordhel armies have goblins and trolls but a giant would probably be tough.  Now, making them have a goal of Sethanon and putting restrictions in place so they can't move around certain strongholds, are both very good suggestions, but unfortunately I'm not really sure how to code that since this is my 2nd mod ever.  :wink:  So at least for the first few releases we'll have to keep it somewhat similar to the native game where factions are just somewhat randomly fighting, running around the map, capturing castles, etc.  I do know how to make some factions always at war, or always at peace, so we could do some simple changes like that... 

I think I'm leaning towards option B but limited to just Mordhel (with goblins/trolls) vs Kingdom as the two factions.  We could have a little bit of Kesh visible at the bottom of the map and we could put some spawn points for Keshian Raiders down there? Or as you mentioned it might make sense to have them and Tsurani as mercenaries...  Maybe save elves & dwarves for a later releases or couple do your suggestion and make them manhunter type of troops that are neutral to the player.  Mainly I'm trying to decide on the total number of factions, since I need to change a bunch of code for that, so right now I think I'm leaning towards only two...

I would be willing to help with the story lines , troop trees etc.. I know the series extremely well. I am however just starting to learn modding so I can be no help in that area yet. The great thing about using Midkemia is that you can make a smaller map or an epic map and they would both work for fans of the series.

A series of mods may be fun to. Start with the first Sethanon all the way up to the Dasati. Could easily get 4-5 mods from the Stories.

Let me know If I can help. Love to see this done.

Hello ladies...

I'll try to be systematic, so:
Raithe said:
I would be willing to help with the story lines , troop trees etc.. I know the series extremely well.

Great! Please check out my previous post about the troops and let us know your comments and suggestions - I've read nearly all books about Midkemia, The Riftwar Saga 2 times, but still there is a lot of things I do not remember very well or miss at all.

Raithe said:
I am however just starting to learn modding so I can be no help in that area yet. The great thing about using Midkemia is that you can make a smaller map or an epic map and they would both work for fans of the series.

The thing you can help with is the map - if u can fetch some geographic details from the book that is, coz I've got the 'map' obviously.
The things I will need to know are like:
  • The forest was ....
  • The mountain range was ....
  • There was a goat trail leading from ...
Etc, if u know what I mean - I can just make a big mountain big that way and a forest thick with trees or just plant a few, if it was not a dark one according to a book :smile: I just do not remember all those details. There is a great map here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Betrayal_at_Krondor-MidkemiaMap.jpg
but anyways I would be very happy to get some details from books, especially about the all possible ways from Armengar to the Kingdom.

Raithe said:
A series of mods may be fun to. Start with the first Sethanon all the way up to the Dasati. Could easily get 4-5 mods from the Stories.

Let me know If I can help. Love to see this done.
Sure why not. But let us start with the simple things first :smile:

HokieBT:

I do agree with all you said. Do the coding, I'll do my best to supply U with the map ASAP.

lodder said:
have read loads of books about this world,  any1 knwo of there are new ones?
www.google.com :razz:

How can I tell u what is 'new' if I don't know what u refer as 'old' to? :wink:

have fun guys,
sepa

Back
Top Bottom