Arming your own troops? Hm?

Users who are viewing this thread

the easyest way would be to keep things the way they are but add a primary and secondary weapon key. say a nord huscurl has his primary weapon a 2 handed axe and a secondary of a axe and shield I hate seeing guys standing on the front line in a siege with there shield strapped to their back. instead of the use blunt weapon use weapons at will just add a secondary weapon choice to the menu.
if you had the option to purchace a secondary weapon from a list that all troops would have that could work but then everyone would have a hundred swadian knights running around with maces that could really throw off the ballance of the game

other than that you just have a bunch of heros that can die. which would bog down  on most peoples computers all those different troops with different weapons just a hassle the way I see it

Couldnt you just use a standard to base each unit off of? Like all assign all nord huscarls to have an axe, a shield and  two slots of throwing axes. Would make armies look more professional and uniform.

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but i could not be bothered looking through the 13 pages of conversation to see if its already been said

But there is a download where you can customize the skills and equipment of all the soldiers :smile:

its called troop editor

if this has already bin mentioned then i apologise :sad:

also sorry if this has been mentioned but in future version i would

A- like hero equipment interface to be quicker and easier. (having to talk to each one individually gets annoying after a while

B- for regular troops i would assign my troops levels, assign them to a unit and then basically tick boxes. If i want them all using crossbows, shields and spears i would tick only those boxes. They would then loot only those items and i would have a box to tick that lets the garrison purchase the equipment. This would work well with crafting weapons imo. So if youre blacksmith is creating Bardiches and you want your guys using bardiches...

It has most likely been said before, but I would prefer the ability to create classes, not equip troops individually

I would like every peasant to start as a "blank slate" regardless of the kingdom. That means they start at level one with no skills, and every weapon proficiency at a base level.

Once peasants acquire enough experience, they can level up into either a pre-defined class, or a user-created class.

For the AI, each kingdom will have it's own pre-defined class. These classes will match the standard unit types as they exist in the game now. The player will also have the option of just having each peasant level into the classes that matches it's original nationality.

If the player want to create his own class, he will chose the skills and weapon proficienies. An example would be:

Heavy infantry
One point into strength and agility at alternating levels
One skill point into shield, weapon master, power attack and iron flesh at alternating levels.
5 points to one handed and 5 points into pole-arm each level.

The player would then go on to select the equipment. Each type of equipment would be restricted by the level of the npc.

All of this would have an associated cost, which  is combined into one price when upgrading.

Swampthing said:
It has most likely been said before, but I would prefer the ability to create classes, not equip troops individually

I would like every peasant to start as a "blank slate" regardless of the kingdom. That means they start at level one with no skills, and every weapon proficiency at a base level.

Once peasants acquire enough experience, they can level up into either a pre-defined class, or a user-created class.

For the AI, each kingdom will have it's own pre-defined class. These classes will match the standard unit types as they exist in the game now. The player will also have the option of just having each peasant level into the classes that matches it's original nationality.

If the player want to create his own class, he will chose the skills and weapon proficienies. An example would be:

Heavy infantry
One point into strength and agility at alternating levels
One skill point into shield, weapon master, power attack and iron flesh at alternating levels.
5 points to one handed and 5 points into pole-arm each level.

The player would then go on to select the equipment. Each type of equipment would be restricted by the level of the npc.

All of this would have an associated cost, which  is combined into one price when upgrading.

This sound like a good idea.

i had a similar idea and opened a thread about it (didnt know this thread here already existed)

i dont want to write everything again, so here is the link:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,151242.0.html

It's kind off a bad idea. I usualy take 50-60 troops with me and it would take me......2 weeks to equip them to knights? what if i die? then i have to equip 50-60 troops again?
Let's just say soldiers prefer to use different kinds of weapons, if we could equip all our troops then we have a very high advantage against AI.It's kind of sad to see 100 identical soldiers

NicotiN said:
It's kind off a bad idea. I usualy take 50-60 troops with me and it would take me......2 weeks to equip them to knights? what if i die? then i have to equip 50-60 troops again?
Let's just say soldiers prefer to use different kinds of weapons, if we could equip all our troops then we have a very high advantage against AI.It's kind of sad to see 100 identical soldiers
No, its impressive. It shows discipline. All standing armies have standardized equipment.

FrisianDude said:
Not in the middle ages. :???:
With the proper reforms you can move from a feudal system to a much more centralized government.
Change taxation to where your subjects pay taxes to you directly instead of the lords; removing them from the system.
The crown pays the armies wages instead of the nobles.

Which is not very medieval. After the Romans you practically have to wait for bleedin' Napoleon to get uniforms. Hell, I feel that troops in native are often tóó uniform. I prefer my medieval armies to look like disorganized shambles, seeing as they mostly consisted of militia with some professionals. :razz:

FrisianDude said:
Which is not very medieval. After the Romans you practically have to wait for bleedin' Napoleon to get uniforms. Hell, I feel that troops in native are often tóó uniform. I prefer my medieval armies to look like disorganized shambles, seeing as they mostly consisted of militia with some professionals. :razz:
Viva La France!

I'm not sure if I'm even half way correct with this answer but here goes nothing.
I thought the whole idea with having different kingdoms with different special abilities was that you were to mix them up to create a "perfect" army, just like Lezalit wants to point out every time you ask him whats up basically. Which would then give you the troops that you require.

--------

Now I don't know any Cavalry with 100% chance of spawning with a Lances but "Khergit Lancers" should have a high chance of having some sort of thrusting or couching weapon with more reach.

This might make "Swadian Knights" and "Sarranid Mameluke" lovers out there a bit cranky but half the fun of playing this game is losing your army and building it up again...
I reckon that sounds crazy and Yes most of the time I would love to slam my keyboard in to my screen as my army trembles just because I get a FRIGGIN SPEAR CHUGGED UP IN MY FACE AND HAVE TO ORDER MY TROOPS TO FIGHT WITHOUT ME WHICH CAUSES THEM ALL TO DIE AND MAKES ME Q_Q!!!!!111oneoneone

-------

Back on topic though as some members have already said there are some Mods you can use in order to arm your own troops such as:

Troop Editor
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,34154.0.html

Or if you want more modifications done you could always check out the list Darwin made in another posts which features Troop Modifications along with much more at:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,108292.msg2645338.html#msg2645338

I want to see more centralization in the government and more uniformity and discipline in the army.
I want to be able to spend lots of time and money researching social reforms and technology.
I want to see much deeper kingdom management and customization.
Remember the middle ages was a DE-evolution in terms of social change.
The Roman Empire before was much more advanced. I'm not asking you to make romans, I'm asking to be able to make a semi-modern society, like the Renaissance, or the Enlightenment.

As for affording the equipment, you could talk to a "troop merchant" and you could buy the same equipment on a mass scale, and it would cost a bit more than the regular item for a hero. For example, hero armor merchant has plate armor for 2,000, (remember this is just an example) you have 50 troops who can wear plate armor. so the troop merchant has a specified amount of each piece of plate armor which will amount to 6,000 denars. (The amount will always be a little more, but they can be random) Same with weapon merchant. :idea:

I agree with your point though I also have a little twist for it. As for now every troop tree is very strict as a rhodok will always be a rhodok, but in reality people form various nations can still after some diciplined training become the same troop type with the same equipment, i would like to see a feature which lets you customise your diffrent troop types a little.

I can imagine something like this:

Every recruit starts out as an recruit, they could either be recruits from one of the nations you could also learn the recruits to become more like rhodok spearmen even though they would otherwise become khergite lancers as they are khergits and so on. So you could basically choose which faction you want to be more like, no matter where they are recruited from. But a soldier that has been already been trained to becom a horseman could not become an archers as he has already chosen to be a horseman.

For the custom troop parts, let say that when you have become a little stronger and when you ant to create your own kingdom and something like that you could also create your own army type instead of adopting existing ones. Then you could choose which kind of equipment each troop types would recieve, like you want your knights to have heavy armour so they recieved some random heavy armor equipment in the body slot and so on, so they all have somewhat the same equipment but not as strictly as every troop to like the exactly same, even though you choose to make them look the same aswell, for that part im not sure. as long as i get some kind of option to customize i would be happy atleast.

This would make a great feature, it would work well when you establish your own faction; you'd feel more unique with a custom army.

Back
Top Bottom