Another Command and Control Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Jund

Recruit
I started playing a week or so ago and have two toons - a 20 Hunter and 24 Squire.

There's a lot that can be done with this game, but one that should be done involves enhancements to troop command and control.

I'd like to see the following added:

1. An ability to group various types of troops together so that they fight as a single unit. In other words, grouping say Vaegir skirmishers, archers and marksmen together with Vaegir footmen, infantry and guards - the idea being that heavy infantry are committed to standing with and protecting ranged troops. Another example would be grouping (really assigning) a mounted Marnid to lead Vaegir horsemen and knights.

The concept I'm thinking of is the kind found in Total War where different types of troups are grouped together into a unit and commanded as a unit.

2. With the above, additional commands must be added including:

- Hold fire

- Fire

- Fire at will

- Stand ground - meaning you command a unit you've formed to stand its ground. So you'll have to be able to pair up units with these commands. An example of what I have in mind is being able to direct infantry Marnid to stand his ground with infantry Unit 1 in front of archer Borcha while he and his ranged Unit 2 fire at will while you (and hopefully over friendly troops - need some trajectory for this), while my mounted Unit 3 sweeps in behind the oncoming assault.

- Unit # Charge

- Defensive mode - call it shield wall, whatever. It would be nice to be able to direct certain troops to fight defensively - perhaps to protect ranged troops.

3. Troop placement.

Finally, it would be nice to be able to direct units to move to certain positions on the field of battle without having to physically take them there with the "follow me" command. I'm not sure how you do this, whether its point and click or what, but is something to consider.

Now, I also think the enemy should have similar abilities and should make these kinds of decisions in a logical, rational manner so improving NPC AI is equally critical. :twisted:

Just a few thoughts. I think the raw combat is fun. It reminds me of BF 1942, but I'd like to see a little bit of Total War troop command and control added. It may not all be possible, but it would greatly improve the tactical element of this game.

Ciao. :smile:

Let me guess. It never occurred to you that someone else might have suggested this. It also never crossed your mind that it might be a smart thing to read the Frequent Suggestions sticky. Am I right?

This post is basically a summary of most of the previous troop order suggestions. You're not the only one who's played the Total War games.

I'm sorry I didn't find another thread making similar suggestions. It wouldn't surprise me if someone else had made them, but suggesting it again is a way to emphasize its importance - perhaps making it a priority to the dev.

Oh and btw, shut your piehole you obnoxious little doorknob. Responding to your kind of worthless commentary is an utter waste of my time. Now run along son~

Ciao

A way better method of showing a suggestions inportance is to continue the one thread on a suggestion, which shows the developers how much interest there is..
They are busy people and probably don't skim through every thread with 2 or 3 replies... So check the stickies on whats been suggested, it may well be you have something to add to the discussions that hasn't been thought of before..

And just for future reference, personal abuse has been done before and generally those that do it aren't really taken very serious, so the 'importance' of what they say is totally negated...

Jund, I must say that after having UTTERLY FAILED your first post on this forum, along with your alleged search, you still manage to have a serious attitude problem. You need to work on your people skills.

Also, I don't understand why you're calling me a doorknob. Am I supposed to feel offended?

:grin: Brothers, please! You're all doorknobs as far as I'm concerned.

Jund, your enthusiasm and suggestions are welcome but they're best added to the pre-existing threads so that we are not constantly reinventing the wheel.

While i do not want to fan the fires of hatred, i would also like to point out that that you yourself admited in the title that it was another command and control topic.

Personally i would like a mod to lock this up and then let him repost his comments in another thread. This thread no longer seems to serve any positive purpose.

okiN said:
Jund, I must say that after having UTTERLY FAILED your first post on this forum, along with your alleged search, you still manage to have a serious attitude problem. You need to work on your people skills.

Also, I don't understand why you're calling me a doorknob. Am I supposed to feel offended?

/chuckle

The only one with an attitude problem is you, okiN. I made a solid suggestion and what I got was a not so subtle, holier than thou reply from some guy/girl with a superiority complex. Thanks for the generous forum welcome.

And as far as a forum search goes, I looked under the sticky that pertained to previous threads. There is a link to a two page thread concerning troop formations. I skimmed the first page, I didn't read through the whole thing and much of it, frankly, was not on point. It dealt with wedge formations etc. of existing units as opposed to command/movement of units and grouping disparate units together. The second page is a little more relevant. I missed it. Can you ever possibly forgive me? /sarcasm off :roll:

If it is forgiveness you seek then continually mocking people who were (at first) just trying to perserve the tidiness of the forums is not a good idea. What could have been a productive post has degenerated into a flamefest. Take it outside!

Hey, Okin is right. Just because he says you should've searched before you posted or at least looked at the frequest suggestions sticky, doesn't mean you have to insult him (or try to, in this case). :wink:

Lhorkan, my once and future ally, at least give the original poster credit for a post that he evidently put some thought into. Many of our new posts are close to just being one sentence versions of "This game needs more stuff like multiplayer! M&B roooolz!!!!"

Jund Even if the relevant threads weren't relevant enough for your tastes (and they do often go off-topic) it sometimes helps to still gather them together in one place, so that someone else can see all the ideas in as few places as possible and refine your ideas. That way we're not using one of my many cliche phrases constantly rediscovering fire.

:grin:

I prefer 'constantly reinventing the wheel'. Inventing fire was much more difficult I think. Find a round thing (log) to roll blocks of stone along is quite straight forward.

I don't think fire was so much invented as noticed. Really the lightning did most of the work.

But the same could probably be said of wheels, since the part of the trunk that didn't light up rolled away, so your point is moot. How about the sword? That was definatly invented and reinvented many times over.

Jund said:
And as far as a forum search goes, I looked under the sticky that pertained to previous threads. There is a link to a two page thread concerning troop formations. I skimmed the first page, I didn't read through the whole thing and much of it, frankly, was not on point.

That would be because you picked the wrong thread. Three links down from the one you chose was a link to this thread, which, although not identical to your post, deals with the same topic and would have been a reasonable place to present your views. Again, I honestly don't see why you're attacking me when it really is you who made the mistake, and I've made no attempt to insult you.

compfreak, you forget that it was the monolith sent by the star children that originally taught man-apes to use weapons, and the sword is just a refinement of that basic idea.

This seems as good a point as any to point out that armor was in fact based of the skin of our ancient "protectors".

Back
Top Bottom