AAR: Me, Floris | Completed | Chapter 60 & Epilogue posted (19-09-2015)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi there, I've been reading your AAR for a couple of weeks now.  Great work!  Quick question though.  Is it wise to retain Nord Recruits in your army to upgrade to Huscarls, since you're at war with the Nords?  Won't they desert?  Anyway, looking forward to the next installment!

Regards

Gaheris Rhade said:
Hi there, I've been reading your AAR for a couple of weeks now.  Great work!  Quick question though.  Is it wise to retain Nord Recruits in your army to upgrade to Huscarls, since you're at war with the Nords?  Won't they desert?  Anyway, looking forward to the next installment!

Regards
A wide range of food will starve off desertions, though early in the war, the Nord troops probably won't desert. Dumping them into towns or castles when their morale drops would be a great idea.

Bobsama said:
Gaheris Rhade said:

Regards
A wide range of food will starve off desertions, though early in the war, the Nord troops probably won't desert. Dumping them into towns or castles when their morale drops would be a great idea.

Well, I fought the Kergits once, with all Kergit units. Again the same tactic I adviced to Monnikje. My moral was 88 or some because I had full leadership, and many types of food. The moral of my Khergits kept up very good, until I had destroyed the entire Khergit army in an epic battle (with painfull fingers afterwards xD), -99 for Khergit troops. Then just dropped them in my city of Tulga, took some of my rescued prisoners (looters) and finished the Khergits without a single problem.
What I try to say, if you work quickly (blitzkrieg), you will be able to keep your Nord troops as long as they are needed, till the Nords are crushed and only have a few strongholds left. From that moment you just need to take some Huscarls in the cities out, losses will be high, but it'll be worth it and still lower than when you didn't use those Huscarls earlier.

By the way: Monnikje, how did you make that picture with your troops leaving the city? Is it photoshopped or during a siege or some?

SimmiSumo: Thanks! The war is only three days young: I guess they need some time to organise, but then I'm sure that battle will happen.

I AM HOBO OF DOOM: Thanks, I'll keep it up.

HitMoose: Great to hear you like them :smile:.

Gaheris Rhade: Thanks! And I think Bobsama and William de Beaujeu have answered your question: early on it won't be a great problem: later I'll have to drop them off when their morale drops too low. The Blitzkrieg I'm having now is goind faster than their morale can drop, so during the first phase of the war it sholdn't be much of a problem. And thanks all for the tips :smile:.

William de Beaujeu: I took a screenshot when I 'walked the city' of Khudan: I just went outside with my horse. I also took a screenshot of my army thundering across the snowy white plains when I fought off some sea raiders. Then I indeed photoshopped those two to get an army leaving the gates.

really nice work with the story, gameplay and the pictures including the photoshopped one. but i think u can win this war pretty easy though.  :smile:

monnikje said:
SimmiSumo:
William de Beaujeu: I took a screenshot when I 'walked the city' of Khudan: I just went outside with my horse. I also took a screenshot of my army thundering across the snowy white plains when I fought off some sea raiders. Then I indeed photoshopped those two to get an army leaving the gates.

Monnikje, you spoil us with this story and those pictures...  How can another AAR live up to this expectation? I would love to hear more about the tactics you use in battles and sieges. Do you use the command keys a lot? Do you do a lot of killing yourself? How do you stay alive during such a huge and  crowded siege? A siege against a city filled with Huskarls is a real accomplishement...

Cheers,

Gerard

Thorkel said:
Very nice AAR, was a great read. Btw why is your character at such low level so late into the game?

My guess on that is that he trades a lot more then fights.. but I'm not sure. Either way, awesome AAR, one of the best Iv'e seen so far. (lol AAR, Far. I dunno, they rhyme.)

By the way, if you capture King Ragnar, can you chop him into tiny bits, make his body parts into a soup, then feed it to Jarl Olaf? Those are the two people I hate the most in the game.

Thorkel said:
Very nice AAR, was a great read. Btw why is your character at such low level so late into the game?

Now you mention it, I'm pretty curious myself. But it seems like Floris isn't a fighter, 4 powerstike xD but good leadership. Keeps the cost low.

Strongbow said:
I'm going to make my own AAR, these are a great idea and a great addition to the experience. My character will be Jean de Bretagne, a knight who travels to Calradia, turns to a life of crime, and then meets his love, who helps him regain his honour, restore friendships and trusts, and fights along his side in his final battle :grin: That is all I will say for now. :razz:

Quite romantic xD. But can wifes fight at your side? If this is possible, tell me, as I would love to have that going on in the Knights of Rohan (my AAR)

William de Beaujeu said:
Strongbow said:
I'm going to make my own AAR, these are a great idea and a great addition to the experience. My character will be Jean de Bretagne, a knight who travels to Calradia, turns to a life of crime, and then meets his love, who helps him regain his honour, restore friendships and trusts, and fights along his side in his final battle :grin: That is all I will say for now. :razz:

Quite romantic xD. But can wifes fight at your side? If this is possible, tell me, as I would love to have that going on in the Knights of Rohan (my AAR)

No i don't think it is possible...yet.

heckani: Thanks! but I'm not as sure as you are. I only got this city so easy because I acted fast with an enormous army. But many were wounded or killed, and some nobles even ran off. Right after the siege I had only half of the men at my disposal! If the Nords had had time to gather their army and meet me then, I wouldn't be so sure about the outcome.

Gerard Mulder: They can start by having not too high expectations, and work their way up. Especially the way I edit my screenshots has evolved greatly in the past 44 chapters. So everyone who starts an AAR should just go for it, and continue :smile:.
When I started this AAR on the Paradox forum, one of the first things I said was:
Monnikje said:
... this is just a small fun project while I play a little MBW.
I won't call it small anymore, but the fun still very much applies.

During a siege I play the sharpshooter: I knock out enemy archers, which I'm getting pretty good at. When I'm out of bolts, I get new ones from fallen comrades and continue to shoot. Although in my last siege I ran out of bolts too soon and couldn't find any new ones. Maybe I should load up more bolts instead of a shield and sword.
Most of the times I run out of bolts, there is already a breach in the defence, so then I try to get up the ladder (which is mostly very difficult with a few hundred other people trying to do the same) and find more bolts on the walls, and continue my shooting spree up there. If that fails, I still have my sword :smile:. But most of the times I stay away from the frontline.
The commands: I first order everyone to stand ground, and let the archers do their work. Once enough have been shot down, I order my infantry and cavalry to charge.
Last siege, I must confess, I cated not that brave: I went into battle quite wounded, and once I would fall, it would be all over. So I shot until I ran out of bolts, and then let the soldiers do their job. I had a great numerical advantage, which proofed to be the key in the end. but the losses were high, so I don't think this was the best strategy.

Thorkel:Thanks! Well, mainly because I don't get experience for trading, setting up businesses and holding parties, which took quite a lot of time. When you for example compare chapter 40 and 43, you can see that I didn't level up in half a year's gametime. During these months I traded a lot and set up businesses, instead of killing sea raiders. But well, I'm not in a hurry.

Ferosor, the Strong: Thanks, and you got it right :smile:.
I don't think Floris would be that brutal. But maybe he puts him on eMarket once he got him, so you can do it yourself.

William de Beaujeu: Floris is indeed not a frontline fighter, you saw that correctly. He has his men for that.

Strongbow: Sounds good. Good luck! And nice idea you have there for your wife.

I have not defended many sieges yet, but on the one I have partaken of this latest campaign, I won the battle with few losses by simply having my infantry/cavalry hold position at the top of the ladder, and picking a tower or postion along the wall with a great view of the side of the ladder and telling my crossbowmen to hold there.  It worked quite well.

What I really wanted to share was my latest tactic I have found with sieges.... in that, retreating is sometimmes the best option.  I've gone up against several sieges now, told my infantry and cavalry to make a shield wall and have my crossbowmen hold position and fire onto their walls.  I fire as well with my 30 some bolts, and when I am out (and thusly my crossbowmen are mostly out as well), I retreat and rebuild the ladders.  This has allowed me to take castles slowly with only 4-5 losses on my side and maximum on theirs.

It is, of course, only truly viable if it is a ladder siege.  Siege tower sieges are very gritty.  :razz:

Wonderful job as ever Monnikje.  I find myself looking forward to ever new chapter of your story and enjoying every single read. :smile:

Dear Monnikje,

Thanks for that background on your siege tactics.. The tactic you describe. sending in the archers and waiting for their losses to be replaced by melee fighters before risking the assault is one idea  that I really like.

I think, what sets your game apart from a lot of peoples personal experience is the work you put into rallying your nobles into battle. Many people seem to dislike being marshal and just solo it out. You have gone another road and now ride off to war with 3000 men, very cool!

3000 men or no, I am very curious about your experiences with the Nords in Battle... They can form a nasty shieldwall that requires timing to crush and camping in their spawn on the battlefield is deadly. I play a vaegir lady a no-exit-without-saving game and I admit to the cowardry of destroying yarls one by one, avoiding the big battles as my knights do not stand up to the Huskarls.

Again, I am really enjoying your AAR with all the prety pictures and your nice writing, I sometimes read old chapters for fun when there is no new one.

Cheers,

Gerard

Wow, you really made it so far. Soon you will be the king of Calradia  :smile:. The Nords wont have a chance haha. Also the Rhodoks are getting the worst of the Sarranids. Keep it up

Very nice, as usual. Although I gotta say your writhing 'voice' seemed a little hurried. I would suggest a bit more meat to the story, but not exhausting........ Kinda like your old war with Swadia chapters.....

Back
Top Bottom