A singleplayer manual

Users who are viewing this thread

Vantard said:
Galdus said:
With lords there are several ways to improve your reputation;
1. You accept a quest from them and accomplish it.
2. When you fight another lord, and you capture him, you have a chance to release them for honor and rep. You will gain +5 rep. and 1-3 honor. (If you attacked him you will lose -1 reputation so if he escapes you will get a negative relationship bonus).

Also, you will gain 1-2 reputation, talking to a lord after capturing a city/castle. Just talk to all siege participants to gain that bonus (you have to have positive relations with a lord to gain rep. that way)

I believe I added that :grin:. It's always the little things.

Oh, another thing...

When giving the 'hold this position order' you can simply hold the F1 key, which will make a small flag appear in the middle of your targeting reticule. Simply point to where you want the people to go, and let go of F1.

This is ideal for things like telling your archers to go to the top of that hill over there, then your infantry to stand half way up, all while you're leading the cavalry on the flank, or setting your infantry to hold the ladder while you're standing in a tower to shoot the attacking men.

It is limited to line of sight, though, so you can't get someone to stand on the OTHER side of the hill that way.

vonskyme said:
Oh, another thing...

When giving the 'hold this position order' you can simply hold the F1 key, which will make a small flag appear in the middle of your targeting reticule. Simply point to where you want the people to go, and let go of F1.

This is ideal for things like telling your archers to go to the top of that hill over there, then your infantry to stand half way up, all while you're leading the cavalry on the flank, or setting your infantry to hold the ladder while you're standing in a tower to shoot the attacking men.

It is limited to line of sight, though, so you can't get someone to stand on the OTHER side of the hill that way.

**** dude, I did no know that. Rofl sounds neat I will try it out next time I play single player. Btw my page is close to full I may have to squeeze info on one of my other posts 'in this post' if I get an abundance more.

Galdus said:
vonskyme said:
Oh, another thing...

**** dude, I did no know that. Rofl sounds neat I will try it out next time I play single player. Btw my page is close to full I may have to squeeze info on one of my other posts 'in this post' if I get an abundance more.

I found out when I was running towards the spot I wanted them to hold and started holding F1 to get ready. Suddenly I'm runnign into this wierd yellow flag and wondering what's happening. Some experimenting later, and I never tell anyone to hold ~my~ position any more, unless I want them to come to my rescue...

Thanks for the linke and awesome, awesome work. I read through this twice and each time started a new save game because of what  I learned. :smile:

Edit: You can also click on the 'status' screen (Backspace) minimap to tell groups to move around. You can't see an overhead view of the terrain tho, just your groups as colored blobs and them as red blobs but it does in theory and sorta in practice allow you to tell groups to move to a location out of line of sight. It takes some stabbing...

If you have enabled the 'continue battle after death' tweak, you can still command your troops through this screen as well. It is kinda guesswork as you have limited information available but its better than no command.

I haven't looked much at the thread, but one thing that comes to mind is about character import/export.  Any time you start a new game and want to use an old character, you can just do a quick start by placing points where ever and not bothering with your looks.  Then, when you enter the beginning scene, hit "c," go to statistics->import character and you can you are old character in the opening fight.  You don't have to talk to the Merchant first.

Also, hitting "l" brings up the notes from say when you are in a castle or town so you don't need to exit first, but I suppose folks new this.

dedjedi said:
Thanks for the linke and awesome, awesome work. I read through this twice and each time started a new save game because of what  I learned. :smile:

Edit: You can also click on the 'status' screen (Backspace) minimap to tell groups to move around. You can't see an overhead view of the terrain tho, just your groups as colored blobs and them as red blobs but it does in theory and sorta in practice allow you to tell groups to move to a location out of line of sight. It takes some stabbing...

If you have enabled the 'continue battle after death' tweak, you can still command your troops through this screen as well. It is kinda guesswork as you have limited information available but its better than no command.

Thanks bud!

Galdus said:
woofty said:
I haven't looked much at the thread, but one thing that comes to mind is about character import/export.  Any time you start a new game and want to use an old character, you can just do a quick start by placing points where ever and not bothering with your looks.  Then, when you enter the beginning scene, hit "c," go to statistics->import character and you can you are old character in the opening fight.  You don't have to talk to the Merchant first.

Also, hitting "l" brings up the notes from say when you are in a castle or town so you don't need to exit first, but I suppose folks new this.

Yeap,yeap some of the little stuff I didn't add in like the character import export,but I am sure people already know that..mostly.

dedjedi said:

Although I'm well aware of the screen, I find that it is far too difficult to use effectively - basically you just can't be sure if you're telling your guys to stand half way up a cliff. The best use for it, as I see it is:

1) getting cavalry to flank when you're on foot.
2) getting units to run away if they're vulnerable, to a map edge.

A way to increase the usefulness, if you don't mind a bit of fiddling, is to remove all troops from the cavalry, infantry and archers groups, then set those groups to stand ground at given points you can recall (e.g. river bank, top of the hill etc). The flags will appear on the map and serve as a bit of a reference point for future movements. Unfortunately, it means you're going to have to remember where other troops are holding, as other groups don't get flags.

You can only set these flags by pressing and holding F1 if you don't have anyone in the group - clicking on the 'map' brought up by backspace will do no good. It's probably more fiddling than it's worth, but it does give some use to the overview.

Galdus said:
Surgery keeps your guys alive and reduces casualty's by 40%+25% base at level 10, but remember your doctor needs to be alive at the end of the battle or you risk losing that bonus. Specifically, your troops end up ‘wounded’ instead of ‘killed’.

A note on surgery - I don't have any hard data but I believe your doctor just needs to be functional at the moment the unit gets reduced to 0 hp, not at the end of the battle. I have surgery on my main and when I get knocked out by a lucky siege bolt, it sure seems like my guys are killed a lot more after I'm out. I also don't notice the kill/wounded counts being much different after the battle than what I remember them being during, both of which point to the kill/wound decision being made at time of death, not at battle conclusion.

vonskyme said:
Although I'm well aware of the screen, I find that it is far too difficult to use effectively - basically you just can't be sure if you're telling your guys to stand half way up a cliff.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I would suggest another use for it being dealing with the stuck ladder bug during sieges while dead. When I know it is happening and I'm dead, I can repeatedly tell my guys to hold position near the spawn and then  charge, it seems to help work them out of trying to attack the guy at the base of the wall on the other side. I have also had some luck with telling them to hold position right in the middle of the enemy blob but only with top tier troops, the others just die too fast.

dedjedi said:
Galdus said:
Surgery keeps your guys alive and reduces casualty's by 40%+25% base at level 10, but remember your doctor needs to be alive at the end of the battle or you risk losing that bonus. Specifically, your troops end up ‘wounded’ instead of ‘killed’.

A note on surgery - I don't have any hard data but I believe your doctor just needs to be functional at the moment the unit gets reduced to 0 hp, not at the end of the battle. I have surgery on my main and when I get knocked out by a lucky siege bolt, it sure seems like my guys are killed a lot more after I'm out. I also don't notice the kill/wounded counts being much different after the battle than what I remember them being during, both of which point to the kill/wound decision being made at time of death, not at battle conclusion.

I am pretty sure if your main doctor is injured you loose the bonus,but in certain situations you may of had other companions alive with first aid and he came out okay and the party was saved! There's also a chance that when your Doc is down you can loose what looks about the same amount of casualty's as you would with him alive and all that is,is chance. I've seen it a hundred times my Doc gets injured I loose 20 guys out of 80 with him alive 0/3/8 troops tops that's with my skills and high level surgery in the same situations.

Test it our for yourself get me legitimate screens and I will look over the evidence and you can prove me wrong.  :grin:

It has to be at the time of 'death' of each of your party members, I mean the scrolling text says "Nord Huscarl has been knocked unconcious" or "Nord Huscarl has been killed" ~ It doesn't make sense that if your surgery character takes a javelin to the face right at the end that those unconcious people change to dead. Well okay perhaps it does make sense in a real world interpretation, but I've never seen any discrepancy between the number of my troops listed as 'killed' when it happens and the end battle screen.

Falcon Critical said:
It has to be at the time of 'death' of each of your party members, I mean the scrolling text says "Nord Huscarl has been knocked unconcious" or "Nord Huscarl has been killed" ~ It doesn't make sense that if your surgery character takes a javelin to the face right at the end that those unconcious people change to dead. Well okay perhaps it does make sense in a real world interpretation, but I've never seen any discrepancy between the number of my troops listed as 'killed' when it happens and the end battle screen.

I have that turned off in my game. So I just use the #'s I see so often. I had a battle once where I had 130 vs 500 and none of my men died except like 3 my doctor lived that battle,and there was many men dismounted down and out. I believe that stats if the doctor is injured before the battle is worse then the battle he was first in when there is multiple conflicts. If he does go down quickly it may cause more deaths right there,but that is theory and I doubt tale worlds took there time to implement something that sophisticated. Keep me posted I haven't played the Single player in a while,and I am having my doubts now.

True, if your doctor is KOed and you fight again immediately their surgery won't count for the entire next battle, but will for the current battle up till the time they're injured. Or so it seems from that wall of text. I have thought about turning it off myself, but its good for seeing at a glance how the flow of the battle is going whether your army or theirs are taking rapid casualties.

Falcon Critical said:
True, if your doctor is KOed and you fight again immediately their surgery won't count for the entire next battle, but will for the current battle up till the time they're injured. Or so it seems from that wall of text. I have thought about turning it off myself, but its good for seeing at a glance how the flow of the battle is going whether your army or theirs are taking rapid casualties.

Yeah, I can't stand the wall of text all I even turned off exp. All  I see is shot difficulty and damage on my screen. If I want to see if my companions are down I look for them in the pile of bodies. I normally have my doctor on a separate call order called Medic!, and I place him way behind the line or following me on a heavy horse. Maybe do yourself a favor try turning it off and take a look at the stats that way as in the numbers at the end. It could add more immersion when there isn't constant logs.

Well let's say your set, all you need to do is talk to the King you desire and give homage to him if he accepts you. There is also a chance that you can be invited to be there vassal if your a famous man or women. Once your accepted if you're a Commoner you will receive your very own choice of a banner. You will also get a fief of a town of the King's choice. Hint, he will always choose the least profitable fief in the kingdom. Even worse, whoever owned it before you will have a significant negative relationship with you, you upstart.

Will the King always grant the less profitable fief in the kingdom to a newcomer, even if there are unasigned fiefs to be given (for example, recently taken in a war)?

Back
Top Bottom