A singleplayer manual

Users who are viewing this thread

One thing that useful if your trying to get Marriage is to raise you renown as high as possible as it effects rep gain when saying your am admirer at lest in my tests (in a test where I cheat my renown up to check it gave me +50 rep for saying I was an admirer comepaired to +12 without boosting).

Yes Handel bastard gets -35% damage as a 1 hander (i think its the only 2hand/1 hand weapon apart from polearms). Also all two handers get a penalty on horse back not sure how much though.

Thanks to a cool guy named vonskyme we have put together a newly formatted post here! He sent me the edited specs and I used my skills to make it all look great and readable. Most of my info is in there and even more info was put in from vonskyme. All of it should be completely legit very close to an official manual. And I also thank you guys for all the information from other posts I've read and your ideas!

Handel said:
So is the penalty of using a bastard sword as 1h weapon 35% too?

Yeap.

May I have the honor take the Round trip Calradia (by Vantard) to Chinese forum and translate it?

I will put the link to this thread and the name of author Vantard along with my thread.

Galdus said:
2. When you fight another lord, and you capture him, you have a chance to release them for honor and rep. You will gain +5 rep. and 1-3 honor. (If you attacked him you will lose -1 reputation so if he escapes you will get a negative relationship bonus).
Also note that some lord hate to be treated like this: you will get a huge relationship penality the next time you meet them (-20 or worse).

BTW Great work Galdus!

Round trip Calradia (liked that name :razz:)

to buy under X
to sell above X

1. Wercheg
Salt 150
Iron 300, Oil 470, Spice 800, Velvet 1000, Wool Cloth 270
2. Curaw
Iron 150, Tools 380
Salt 270, Spice 800, Wool Cloth 270
Ismirala (village near Curaw) Iron 150
Fenada (village near Sargoth) Flax 100
3. Sargoth
Flax 100, Linen 220, Wool 701)
Salt 270, Spice 800, Wool Cloth 270
Kwynn (village near Sargoth) Flax 100
4. Tihr
Fish 302), Salt 150, Wool 701)
Iron 300, Spice 800, Tools 450
5. Suno
Oil 320, Wine 200
Iron 300, Salt 270, Spice 800
6. Praven
Wool 701)
Iron 300, Oil 470, Salt 270, Spice 800
7. Yalen
Wine 200, Wool 701)
Iron 300, Oil 470, Salt 270, Spice 800, Tools 450
8. Jelkala
Fish 303), Velvet 700
Iron 300, Salt 270, Spice 800Tools 450, Wool 120
9. Shariz
Wool 701)
Fish 100, Linen 350, Wine 300
10. Durquba
Fish 100, Flax 1504)
Iqbayl (village near Bariyye) Salt 150
11. Bariyye
Iron 150, Salt 150, Tools 380, Wool Cloth 200
Linen 350, Wine 300, Wool 120, Velvet 1000
Fishara (village near Bariyye) Salt 150
12. Ahmerrad
Iron 150, Wool 701), Wool Cloth 200
Wine 300
Uzgha (village near Ahmerrad) Iron 150
13. Tulga
Salt 150, Spice 6005)
Iron 300, Wool 120
14. Ichamur
Wool Cloth 270
15. Khudan
Iron 300, Spice 800
16. Rivacheg
Iron 300, Oil 470, Spice 800, Wool Cloth 270
Ruvar (village near Wercheg) Salt 150
... back to Wercheg...

1) Don't rely on Wool too much, often it's hard to find a good place to sell it
2) Leave some inventory space for Wine, Oil, Velvet - don't buy too many Smoked Fish
3) Buy as many Smoked Fish as you can, even above 30 denars (below 100) - you'll sell it in the very next town
4) You won't find a better place to sell Flax then Durquba - dump it all
5) Spice - the most profitable goods, always have some room to buy it in Tulga
6. Travel fast (with small company and good path-finding skill)
7. Watch out for Sea Riders between Rivacheg and Wercheg, and Steppe Bandits near Ichamur
8. Make quests for towns you trading with - that will increase your trade income
9. Often you'll find better prices in village near towns

For those who want to copy this WITH tags:
Code:
Round trip Calradia

[color=green]to buy under X[/color]
[color=red]to sell above X[/color]

[b]1. Wercheg[/b]
[color=green]Salt 150[/color]
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Oil 470[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Velvet 1000[/color], [color=red]Wool Cloth 270[/color]
[b]2. Curaw[/b]
[color=green]Iron 150[/color], [color=green]Tools 380[/color]
[color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Wool Cloth 270[/color]
Ismirala (village near Curaw) [color=green]Iron 150[/color]
Fenada (village near Sargoth) [color=green]Flax 100[/color]
[b]3. Sargoth[/b]
[color=green]Flax 100[/color], [color=green]Linen 220[/color], [color=green]Wool 70[/color]1)
[color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Wool Cloth 270[/color]
Kwynn (village near Sargoth) [color=green]Flax 100[/color]
[b]4. Tihr[/b]
[color=green]Fish 30[/color]2), [color=green]Salt 150[/color], [color=green]Wool 70[/color]1)
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Tools 450[/color]
[b]5. Suno[/b]
[color=green]Oil 320[/color], [color=green]Wine 200[/color]
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color]
[b]6. Praven[/b]
[color=green]Wool 70[/color]1)
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Oil 470[/color], [color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color]
[b]7. Yalen[/b]
[color=green]Wine 200[/color], [color=green]Wool 70[/color]1)
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Oil 470[/color], [color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Tools 450[/color]
[b]8. Jelkala[/b]
[color=green]Fish 30[/color]3), [color=green]Velvet 700[/color]
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Salt 270[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color][color=red]Tools 450[/color], [color=red]Wool 120[/color]
[b]9. Shariz[/b]
[color=green]Wool 70[/color]1)
[color=red]Fish 100[/color], [color=red]Linen 350[/color], [color=red]Wine 300[/color]
[b]10. Durquba[/b]
[color=red]Fish 100[/color], [color=red]Flax 150[/color]4)
Iqbayl (village near Bariyye) [color=green]Salt 150[/color]
[b]11. Bariyye[/b]
[color=green]Iron 150[/color], [color=green]Salt 150[/color], [color=green]Tools 380[/color], [color=green]Wool Cloth 200[/color]
[color=red]Linen 350[/color], [color=red]Wine 300[/color], [color=red]Wool 120[/color], [color=red]Velvet 1000[/color]
Fishara (village near Bariyye) [color=green]Salt 150[/color]
[b]12. Ahmerrad[/b]
[color=green]Iron 150[/color], [color=green]Wool 70[/color]1), [color=green]Wool Cloth 200[/color]
[color=red]Wine 300[/color]
Uzgha (village near Ahmerrad) [color=green]Iron 150[/color]
[b]13. Tulga[/b]
[color=green]Salt 150[/color], [color=green]Spice 600[/color]5)
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Wool 120[/color]
[b]14. Ichamur[/b]
[color=red]Wool Cloth 270[/color]
[b]15. Khudan[/b]
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color]
[b]16. Rivacheg[/b]
[color=red]Iron 300[/color], [color=red]Oil 470[/color], [color=red]Spice 800[/color], [color=red]Wool Cloth 270[/color]
Ruvar (village near Wercheg) [color=green]Salt 150[/color]
... back to Wercheg...

1) Don't rely on Wool too much, often it's hard to find a good place to sell it
2) Leave some inventory space for Wine, Oil, Velvet - don't buy too many Smoked Fish
3) Buy as many Smoked Fish as you can, even above 30 denars (below 100) - you'll sell it in the very next town
4) You won't find a better place to sell Flax then Durquba - dump it all
5) Spice - the most profitable goods, always have some room to buy it in Tulga
6. Travel fast (with small company and good path-finding skill)
7. Watch out for Sea Riders between Rivacheg and Wercheg, and Steppe Bandits near Ichamur
8. Make quests for towns you trading with - that will increase your trade income
9. Often you'll find better prices in village near towns

Feel free to copy, edit or whatever :wink:, although you might want to correct my english a little bit (it's not my native language :razz:)

MindFlavor said:
Galdus said:
2. When you fight another lord, and you capture him, you have a chance to release them for honor and rep. You will gain +5 rep. and 1-3 honor. (If you attacked him you will lose -1 reputation so if he escapes you will get a negative relationship bonus).
Also note that some lord hate to be treated like this: you will get a huge relationship penality the next time you meet them (-20 or worse).

BTW Great work Galdus!

That is true, but that can be our little secret.

lspnicol said:
May I have the honor take the Round trip Calradia (by Vantard) to Chinese forum and translate it?

I will put the link to this thread and the name of author Vantard along with my thread.

Look at this man even the Chinese value your trade routes. Your time has proven it's self worthy along with your new edition trade route setup witch I have already implemented into the post. You came through bro!

Great thanks for your kindness,Vantard.

Your tags released saved me pretty much time.

I have taken the updated version to Chinese forum~~~~ :grin:

[bragging] I've just got back from the hospital with my 30 hour old son Lucas Cameron [/bragging], and had a look. Galdus has done a good job, but there's an explanation I meant to put in that I forgot. It's probably the most frequently asked question on these forums (other than 'do I really have to pay again') - the inner workings of Power Draw...

Vonskyme's tome of understanding of the intricacies of the secret arts of the archer - also known as the Power draw Manual

Power Draw is required for most (but not all) bows - I think the only one which doesn't is the hunting bow.  Power draw has two effects on bow shots - damage and accuracy.

1. Accuracy
The power draw requirement of a bow indicates how much you require to JUST be able to draw the bow far enough to fire an arrow. If your power draw is below this point, you can't equip it (the same for any other requirement in strength). If your power draw is AT the level required by the bow, you can barely pull the string back. As such, you will suffer a significant accuracy penalty, and will be unable to hold the bow drawn for very long. This accuracy penalty disappears over a few points of power draw (it's negligible by about +3 power draw), and every point of power draw increases the time you can hold it (I believe this continues above +4 power draw. At +4, I had about 4 seconds of holding the reticle closed, +7 I had about 5 seconds, and +10 about 6 seconds. Hence the bulk of the improvement is in the first 3 points, but it does get better later). Extremely high proficiencies can also help accuracy issues due to power draw, but generally if you have those, you've pumped for the power draw anyway.

2. Damage
The damage a bow can put out according to it's statistics is the base damage. Power draw adds 14% damage for every point, up to a maximum of the power draw level of the bow  plus four points.  This means a bow will cause:

base damage + base damage *(power draw requirement + up to four) * 0.14​

Thus, for a few examples:

A character with power draw 6 tries out three bows - a hunting bow (15p with no power draw requirement), a cracked Khergit bow (16p with 3 power draw) and a masterwork nomad bow (25p with 6 power draw, and my personal favourite).

The hunting bow will cause, typically; 15+15*(0+4)*0.14 = 15*1.56 = 23.4 damage. It will also fire accurately and can be held for quite some time, but the last two points of power draw are wasted.

The cracked Khergit bow will cause; 16+16*(3+3)*0.14 = 16*1.84 = 29.4 damage. It will fire accurately, but won't be able to be held for as long as the hunting bow. Note that it will do 6 more damage on average, despite only being one point of base damage higher.

The masterwork Nomad bow will cause; 25+25*(6+0) = 25*1.84 = 46 damage. Unfortunately, as you are at the power draw requirement, the shots will be rather inaccurate, and this character is probably better off with the khergit bow.

If the same character goes to power draw 10, with the same bows:

The hunting bow is unchanged - the twelve levels of strength increases are wasted.

The Khergit bow goes to 16+16*(3+4)*0+14 = 1.98*16 = 31.7, an increase of 2.3 damage, and now 'wastes' three points of power draw.

The masterwork nomad bow goes to 25+25*(6+4)*0.14 = 25*2.4 = 60 damage, an increase of 14 damage. It will also be able to be fired with pin point accuracy, and makes the most of the power draw.

In summary:

The best bow for your character is typically one you have a power draw of 3 to 4 above that required, to allow you decent accuracy - don't just go for the biggest bow you can hold if you want to hit something! I know this was a little long-winded, but hopefully it gets the message across.

Fiefs: Tax, tariffs, inefficiency and improvements

Right, one thing this guide has so far missed out on is the details of fiefs. We've kind of said that you want to HAVE them (duh!), but not much in how to manage them. The following is a set of explanations as my experience has shown them - don't be surprised if I'm wrong in a few details, or a little vague.

First, each town or village has a relationship with you. This relationship can be positive (if you perform tasks for them, built a school, won a tournament and so on) or negative (looted them, failed tasks you were given, attacked farmers...). The effects of this relationship are:

1) better selling and buying prices at the town. Unfortunately, the difference is fairly small, so unless you want the quests anyway or are a dedicated trader, raising relationship for this benefit is probably not worth it, and:
2) increasing the number and quality of recruits you can hire from a village. This result can be huge - for every 10 relation you have with a village, you have a 10% chance of the troop you hire being one tier higher than recruit. With relationship 90, for example, you get 9 chances. If you have more than one of the chances comes off, you can end up recruiting things like 25 Swadian Men-at-arms! Villages with negative relations will not provide recruits.

Each town, castle and village also provides some sort of income to you. Villages, castles and towns all produce rents, which are related to the prosperity of the settlement (or, in the case of castles, the prosperity of the attached village). These tend to be around the 300-500 mark for most villages, and about 700-1000 for towns and castles. Towns ALSO have tariffs. Tariffs are paid based on how many caravans visited the town in the last week, and can get quite significant (I've seen a few thousand). To increase the amount of tariffs you get, protect the caravans. To increase the prosperity (and hence rents) of a town or village, you need to protect the farmer parties, caravans, and try to avoid any crippling shortages of goods - caravans should deal with those.

Unfortunately, as you gain more and more fiefs under your personal control, it becomes harder to actually tax them efficiently. The first three fiefs generate no penalty, but after that there is a 5% penalty per fief, to a maximum of 70% - note that this penalty is applied across ALL fiefs. So, if you had 3 villages producing 500 each, you get 1500.
Four such villages you get (4*500*(1-0.05)) = 2000*0.95 = 1900​
Five such villages you get (5*500*(1-0.1)) = 2000*0.95 = 2250​
n such villages you get n*500*(1-(0.05*n))​

Note that I've been since informed that towns count as TWO fiefs for this calculation by Peter Ebbeson - I'll take his word for it, and it appears to work. Thanks Peter.

Finally, we come to fief improvements.

Castles and towns have very few options for improvement - prisoner towers and message posts. Prisoner towers reduce the chance of lords escaping when they are kept there, while a messenger post will ensure that the city/castle will let you know when enemies are nearby.

Villages have slightly more variety - the messenger post is the same, but there are other options:

The Manor: This allows you to rest your troops at the village in the same way as you would rest in the tavern of a town or a castle. The cost for this is rather high for something which is, pretty much, worthless. You're better off staying in a town for about 500 days for the same price than going back to one specific village. That said, if you like to roleplay a local lord, go for it.

The Watchtower: This increases the amount of time that a lord requires to loot the village by 33% (note that the description in game says 25%, but due to an error in the maths it is actually 33%). This can be useful if combined with the messenger post to allow you to try to help your village, particularly for the 'rich' ones. It also doubles the spotting distance, giving you a little more time. Put them in enough villages and you may be able to 'track' lords. (Thanks Kefka95 for the spotting distance thing)

The Mill: this offers a one off bonus of 5% to a village's prosperity, and hence tax. Don't do this in villages you can't protect, because the benefit is effectively lost when it's looted back to very poor. Note: Thanks to Asylumer, I now know that this also adds to the villages 'ideal prosperity', meaning that it will stay at a higher level eventually, IF it isn't looted for long enough to get that benefit.

The School: Probably the only improvement really worth making in villages (at least one castle should get a prisoner tower, by the way. Keep all your lords there), the school adds +1 to your relationship with the village every month. This can add up over the course of a long game, and result in much better troop recruitment.

Basically to summarise: other than the prisoner tower and occasional school, upgrades are nothing but a money sink. Don't have too many fiefs (although if you already have 19, just keep going, your tax inefficiency is maxed), and protect your farmers.

The extra str is wasted vonskyme as it does increase damage by a small amount (Dont believe me edit you hero to have 0 10 100 and 1000 etc str you will see a difference in damage though it's only about 0.5% per point?)

vonskyme said:
[bragging] I've just got back from the hospital with my 30 hour old son Lucas Cameron [/bragging], and had a look. Galdus has done a good job, but there's an explanation I meant to put in that I forgot. It's probably the most frequently asked question on these forums (other than 'do I really have to pay again') - the inner workings of Power Draw...

Power Draw is required for most (but not all) bows - I think the only one which doesn't is the hunting bow.  Power draw has two effects on bow shots - damage and accuracy.

1. Accuracy
The power draw requirement of a bow indicates how much you require to JUST be able to draw the bow far enough to fire an arrow. If your power draw is below this point, you can't equip it (the same for any other requirement in strength). If your power draw is AT the level required by the bow, you can barely pull the string back. As such, you will suffer a significant accuracy penalty, and will be unable to hold the bow drawn for very long. This accuracy penalty disappears over a few points of power draw (it's negligible by about +3 power draw), and every point of power draw increases the time you can hold it (I believe this continues above +4 power draw. At +4, I had about 4 seconds of holding the reticle closed, +7 I had about 5 seconds, and +10 about 6 seconds. Hence the bulk of the improvement is in the first 3 points, but it does get better later). Extremely high proficiencies can also help accuracy issues due to power draw, but generally if you have those, you've pumped for the power draw anyway.

2. Damage
The damage a bow can put out according to it's statistics is the base damage. Power draw adds 14% damage for every point, up to a maximum of the power draw level of the bow  plus four points.  This means a bow will cause:

base damage + base damage *(power draw requirement + up to four)​

Thus, for a few examples:

A character with power draw 6 tries out three bows - a hunting bow (15p with no power draw requirement), a cracked Khergit bow (16p with 3 power draw) and a masterwork nomad bow (25p with 6 power draw, and my personal favourite).

The hunting bow will cause, typically; 15+15*(0+4)*0.14 = 15*1.56 = 23.4 damage. It will also fire accurately and can be held for quite some time, but the last two points of power draw are wasted.

The cracked Khergit bow will cause; 16+16*(3+3)*0.14 = 16*1.84 = 29.4 damage. It will fire accurately, but won't be able to be held for as long as the hunting bow. Note that it will do 6 more damage on average, despite only being one point of base damage higher.

The masterwork Nomad bow will cause; 25+25*(6+0) = 25*1.84 = 46 damage. Unfortunately, as you are at the power draw requirement, the shots will be rather inaccurate, and this character is probably better off with the khergit bow.

If the same character goes to power draw 10, with the same bows:

The hunting bow is unchanged - the twelve levels of strength increases are wasted.

The Khergit bow goes to 16+16*(3+4)*0+14 = 1.98*16 = 31.7, an increase of 2.3 damage, and now 'wastes' three points of power draw.

The masterwork nomad bow goes to 25+25*(6+4)*0.14 = 25*2.4 = 60 damage, an increase of 14 damage. It will also be able to be fired with pin point accuracy, and makes the most of the power draw.

In summary:

The best bow for your character is typically one you have a power draw of 3 to 4 above that required, to allow you decent accuracy - don't just go for the biggest bow you can hold if you want to hit something! I know this was a little long-winded, but hopefully it gets the message across.

Looks good so far man!

The Darklord said:
The extra str is wasted vonskyme as it does increase damage by a small amount (Dont believe me edit you hero to have 0 10 100 and 1000 etc str you will see a difference in damage though it's only about 0.5% per point?)

That is possible by a small % each level of it. Maybe your man is pulling the string back even further. Is = Isn't?

@Galdus
it took some time, but i'm glad I could help :wink:

vonskyme said:

That means that i can't use Masterwork War Bow effective (8 power draw req) even if I reach 10 skill points? Damn, I've got 3 of them already :razz:

Vantard said:
@Galdus
it took some time, but i'm glad I could help :wink:

vonskyme said:

That means that i can't use Masterwork War Bow effective (8 power draw req) even if I reach 10 skill points? Damn, I've got 3 of them already :razz:

Yeah good looking out Vantard. Just imagine how much denars will be made on your account!

Vantard said:

Yes and no - the higher base damage of the masterwork war bow means that it will still do more damage than my favourite masterwork nomad bow (as both can use all 10 power draw), but the war bow won't be as accurate as the nomad bow. By the time you're doing that much damage, accuracy is probably worth more than a point or five more damage.

That said, you can still get +2, which isn't THAT bad for accuracy.

And as for the extra strength not being wasted you're probably right there Darklord, but as far as a typical player is concerned, going from 18 to 30 probably is a waste if they did it primarily for bow damage and use a hunting bow. It will probably have SOME effect, but nowhere near enough to justify it. If you want to use cheats to get to 500 strength then you might have an effect, but that's not a scenario I'll be going into in a manual.

Galdus said:
With lords there are several ways to improve your reputation;
1. You accept a quest from them and accomplish it.

Also, you will gain 1-2 reputation, talking to a lord after capturing a city/castle. Just talk to all siege participants to gain that bonus (you have to have positive relations with a lord to gain rep. that way)

I only used it that as an example to show that it not 100% useless, but its true there's no real reason to take any stat above the minimum needed for your skills lvls your aiming for.

As for left over stat points; Str = a tiny bit extra damage +1 hp.
Agil = +5 proficiency points +increased speed (attack and movement).
INT = +1 Skill point.
Cha = + Army size.
I wonder what hidden bonuses INT and CHA give if any.
Personally: I would go INT first unless I got most/all skills I am aiming for, then Agil for the faster attacks & proficiency (unless its a non fighter hero, as faster attacks = chance to interrupt attacks on you).

Back
Top Bottom