3:charge
4:mount horses
5:dismount horses

we should add
6:attack this target and 7:defend this target

They should work like this :
pressing the f1-f5 key you choose your type of unit
then 6 to attack an enemy or 7 to defend one of your units
and f1-f5 again to chose your unit to defend or in the case you pressed 6, the F1-F5 will design the type of the ennemy unit you want your men to attack.

When ordered to defend , your men will go to the selected friendly unit and attack the nearest enemy.

Example :
f2-I chose my archers,
6- to attack
f3-the ennemy infantry
or
f3- my infantry
7-defend
f2- my archers

simple no ?...

:shock: :shock:

Wow, that actually could work.

I also think that formatins should be added, Just simple ones like, press f2 to select archers, press 1 )hold position, and then press say 8 for form single rank line, or 9 for square, or 0 for something else. formatinos wouldn't be too hard to add, I would think.

Nice...it simple AND logical, since you won't be defending the enemy or attacking your own guys. At least, I HOPE not :cool:

In my idea, the order in witch you press the keys is suppose to correctly direct your units so that they don't attack their ally and defend their ennemies... :wink:
I also think that a little improvement in the AI is needed at the moment but I'm sure it is planed by the developpers to work it.

Yeah, line formation for archers would be great and also a square one to improve infantry tactics- especially if you have more units of the "pikemen" type.
I am still not sure of what would be the corect use of cavalry in therm of formation : wedge?, line? I think they should stay in a squirmish formation but with that possibility of drecting them fast to the ennemy you want.

This sounds like a great idea. The only caveat is that any unit should always defend itself. In other words, if I tell my archers to attack enemy cavalry, and then some enemy infantry come into melee range and are about to hack up my archers, the archers should stop what they're doing and defend themselves. Makes sense, right?

=$= Big J Money =$=

PS -- Instead of calling it 'attack' and 'defend', maybe it should be 'attack this target' and 'defend this target' so it doesn't confuse anyone. I was confused at first, anyway.

Yeah, and in addition to 'Hold this position', we should have a 'hold your positions', so that the troops to which the order is issued will just stand still. And how about a 'Retreat' command, that makes your troops go to the starting position?

Brilliant idea. It would add even more to the game's commander-fun and would increase the depth of strategy.

Form and attack/fire at will type of commands may also be added. But not neccesarily.

Of course we can add much more orders.

But I realize while playing that it was kind of irealistic to give orders to your men when they're not in your line of sight or when you are surrounded by ennemies so that no-one can see or ear you .

Thinking of it leads to an other idea, already discussed in other thread, that you can be followed by a 'standard bearer' who will transmit your orders to your troops.
He will act as a medieval radio transmiter and will justify this ability to give orders to troops wich are far from you by following you from a distance .
He can fight, mount and dismount, be knocked unconscious and if 'disabled' make you loose this ability to transmit these orders to troops that you don't see so will have to travel to them .

But this has its logic in a context of huge wars where you the leader don't necessarely take part in the battle but stay behind your troops.

In M&B, as it's focussed on small battles, "escarmouches" I would say, maybe we should'nt ask for too much complicated tactics ...but it's good to dream anyway.

I think that commanding would be much easier if it would be possible to use "command reticle".

For example: look at that hill far away and tell the archers to go there. Look at the enemy infantry and tell your cavalry to charge them, etc.

Imagine positioning your troops with three simple commands, instead of riding around like crazy just to show them WHERE to stand...

Jabberwock said:
I think that commanding would be much easier if it would be possible to use "command reticle".

For example: look at that hill far away and tell the archers to go there. Look at the enemy infantry and tell your cavalry to charge them, etc.

Imagine positioning your troops with three simple commands, instead of riding around like crazy just to show them WHERE to stand...

Not bad, I'm for it too but I fear it would be complicated to make them go exactly where you want.

For this to work correctly the battlefield elements should be 'identified' when you look at them after pressing a unit key (F1-F5) .
Example: when you choose your archers (F2) and you look at a hill, the word "hill" should appear and if you order your archers to go there (ex.F6)the AI will use a script wich will optimize their behaviour : for example they will automatically climb on the top and take a line formation.

But I see it complicated to ask them to go to a specific side of a hill unless when you look at a hill you see on your screen for example "HILL TOP or LEFT FLANK OF HILL or RIGHT FLANK OF HILL" , etc

For the momment I love the fact that you have to move to the place you want your men to go, it's easy.

Nahkuri said:
infantry, mount enemy horses!

No need, when issuing the command 'Mount horses', ANY troops will attempt to mount ANY horses, depending on their riding skill, but you can get pesent's on saddle horses ect. sometimes.

The only command I think is needed enymore is 'go there'. your men would go where your aiming reticlle is pointing. you wouldn't need to ride around when deploying your troops.

Back
Top Bottom