Search results for query: *

1. Jean de Mentz

Orthodox chant track?

hail there! Great job done in this mod…the feeling is….Awesome! Does anyone knows…the name of the track that plays when on Roman Empire region…? It's the orthodox christian chant i'am trying to find… Who composed that…is there any link? I always do a reckless all-out charge when i here it...
  2. Jean de Mentz

1.02v Bugs Compilation Thread (Screenshot Intensive)

i don't know if it's a bug.....i've witnessed that for several days the army of a faction has under siege another enemy's castle...with no attack taken place. Don't know the details of AI or if it is a bug. Best regards keep the nice work going mates...

P.S: Enemy armies usually get repulsed and don't approach the castle under siege. I witnessed that some "brave" armies got passed, the besieging force untouched and got into the castle! That does not help the army attack the castle eventually :razz:
  3. Jean de Mentz

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing the SVN version of Anno Domini 1257

Hahahhaha awesome work!!!  "The complete boredom's Guide" i would call it.... (idiot is a little bit heavy :razz:). By the way quite professional work! It's the first time i see anyone using SVN to publish mods. Nice idea., straightforward!
  4. Jean de Mentz

Best/Favorite Military Unit/Soldier/ in History.

roboWarrior001 said:
    I'm surprised no one has jumped in and been like "Spartans!!!!"

414x425.aspx

The Sacred Band of Thebes (the first and last who got a stand against the ultimate man war-machine) & the Spartans (the ultimate war-machine)

5. Jean de Mentz

Plate armour in 1214?

9781855321274.jpg

Well the mounted guy is Philip Augustus....the one that fought at your battle. No plate. Just Mail. If there was any...he would have it.
  6. Jean de Mentz

Katana vs longsword

Knightbonehead said:
    Katana>>>>>>>>>>>>>Longsword

Longsword is pathetic against katana. You know that a true katana takes about 5 years to be constructed.
    Longsword is like a fork agains katana. Katana could without a problem slice trough Longsword.

Sorry the post is too old. I just could not leave you un-enlightened! No..katana can do many things...just not slice through Longsword! :razz: Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBUxw_hdw7g&feature=youtu.be

And apart from that....katana was made for light armour opponents....generally Eastern type of armour. Not Mail or plate of West. Useless in west against Samurai equivalent knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdobMY4QJU vs broadsword & Mail .... 4:22 and after

7. Jean de Mentz

Banded Armour, and Ambiguous Maille

Rallix said:
    matmohair1 said:
    An interesting image. However, the artist seems to be a novice. That's a very wide axe blade; though it may be thin.
    There was most likely various styles of padded leather armors back then, but I do wonder if any design can be confirmed.

-The Saxon's armour....supposed to be Studded Leather? And if indeed is one...how could it be protective? Without the leather being boiled...? Flexible leather with gaps and studs in them? Well...the gaps aren't huge? And it's not even ring mail (with rings sewn to backing of boiled leather), it's just some Studs...and perhaps boiled leather 'stripes' across the armour making 'XX' areas, of protection? Do i picture that correctly?

-About 11 "primitive"-mail, does these findings hold true? Stripes of rings sewn to leather? What territories-period these manuscripts supposed to describe? Didn't the Vikings and Romans mail technique reach them? Why to tailor such an awkward  type of mail...Strange indeed. Nice pics nonetheless !

Has anyone found any research about Comparison of Laminar,Lamellar, Brigandine, Scail and Mail techniques....against hits from bludgeon, pierce or hack weapons ? They where 90% the same principle, but different... was it just cultural influence and experimentation, or other factors that forced so many techniques of Mail....

8. Jean de Mentz

The Mead Hall

Hail!
    anyone who might know the translations of taunts ('Q') from the each faction? Especially the Rus ones  :smile: .

9. Jean de Mentz

Suggestions

HarkonHakoon said:
    Found this quote in a post by a very, very seasoned Dota tester from way back. I tried to make it clear before, it's a very good basis for giving suggestions. While the last point may seem rude, it's hardly redundant, trust me :

"In balance, the burden of proof is on you to show your suggestion a) does what you say it will do, b) won't disrupt balance elsewhere, and c) isn't retarded beyond belief. Until you show these three things, the last may be assumed."

Thank you for the comment. Though it would be a little more clear to say something more bluntly. I don't have a problem with that.

If I knew about your strife for balance guys, i wouldn't even try to analyze any possible scenario upon my suggestion. I wasn't trying to balance out anything, i just witnessed that the berserker as he is now has nothing to give more than infantry,and sure has no clear role. I saw some suggestions of removing him etc, or that he can't be balanced and tried to make a suggestion that seemed reasonable to me, adding some role by using abilities like the leader, not being generally strong. I am not a moder and i don't have any idea of M&B machine (cause i am not...a moder) so yes maybe nothing i was suggesting could be implemented anyway or could be balanced. I didn't know a suggestion and balanced solution had the same meaning. I thought a suggestion could be an inspiration to try out and see, if you like it, as moderator, how to implement it and if you care how to balance it.

I not Jaheira or that seasoned guy that strives for the balance of the DOTA heroes (cause many people pay for it and there balance matters in other ways), i prefer reality over balance when we are talking about a combat simulation game, and i thought that was the mod's flavor anyway.  I think that unbalanced things exist and that's the fun about it (why i continue to play in any server while i generaly have 100 ping while other have 30? Can this be balanced? that's also an aspect of the game?).

If you should make the Cav or the berserker strong as 3 medium/good players then , for me, yes make it! If that's how it should be, if that's the feeling you want/should give.
    This would only give to the game not take, for my point of view at least.

In rounds with few players these classes should not be played or the team with them should have fewer players etc...i think anyone playing this mod can settle or arange such matters in the chat (i have witnessed it in the Cavalry option for example, rounds of Cavalry vs Spears for example. Berserker team - no berserker team).
  10. Jean de Mentz

Cavalry in this mod?

Hagbard said:
    Heya. I don't know if I'm the only one who has noticed this, but isn't the cavalry in this mod alot more powerful than in pretty much any mod out there?

It might just be me, but pretty much all my usual countermeasures are nullified.

No jump-slashing.
    Drop the spear when you stab them charging you,
    Bracing stops them sometimes, sometimes don't.
    Horses have alot, alot of hp.

I thought about it, and since the mod is made by polish developers, they might've buffed cavalry due to national pride of the polish cavalry, hm?

Do you think cavalry is fine as it is now, or is it too strong? Or too weak even?
    Thoughts?

I think only if the same mods could be transfered in a Medieval Age mod....i guess then the  :sad: people would be a lot more. ("Oh my bow does nothing!", "Oh why the horse is so tough!" - Shoot the horseman man!)
    The horse is a Large beast twice the size of a man in length and height many times, not mention it's weight!!! If a man can stand an arrow or a bullet, what can a horse withstand
    (especially in older times where avg human height was 160cm)
    Only two+ bracing pikemen could stand a change against a headlong charge of a single cavalryman. I think it's pretty easy to figure out the picture....not every cav charge in history against pikemen ended like the one in Braveheart movie. Otherwise knights wouldn't be famous at all until gunpower, they would have vanished long before that.
  11. Jean de Mentz

Suggestions

hrotha said:
    I like the idea of having the berserkr raise friendly morale or lower enemy morale, but if implemented just like that it would encourage defensive play, which is the exact opposite of how the berserkr should be played. It would be interesting if the damage the berserkr causes could translate into a morale malus for all enemy troops or something.

Dansk viking said:
    Berserker should definately not increase morale of nearby troops - they (supposedly) induced fear in the enemy, but they rarely fought alongside anyone, but was rather set loose on the enemy.

I suggested this in such a way that the berserker is defensive as long it's not time to be offensive. There where smart berserkers and not so smart, but both could be useful in a Dark Ages era with one-one battles, sparse formations etc. (For example the one who made his stand at the Stampford bridge was definitely smarter than one impaled in a shieldwall)
    So let me be a little more specific in the concept...
    Say this: The Berserker is at the beginning "defensive" (as long as he has no shield(or picked one up) to protected him from range weaps, if the enemy has, "using" the companionship of his comrades shields. When he manages to get in short range of his opponents he uses his Warcry to intimidate them(game terms: make them slower? perhaps, and give him more hit points or regen) and he charges (hope this get implemented anyway in new updates) . If for a short period after his Warcry stays alive and gets hit, for every hit that he manages to withstand (don't fall dead) any of his near friends gets a small morale bonus(perhaps bonus damage, but not like horn bonus).

This will have these effects:
    a) The berserker role is to charge into enemy lines, choose careful when and where to charge and when to Battle Shout. If he is a master of chamber blocks, or generally seasoned player, he knows when to get bitten and how, to give nearby troops the reason to make tales of him, and enough morale bonus to win the round (but they must follow him in the charge, the Warcry effect wont last long, and the berserker will be killed for nothing).

b) The opposing team has to choose depending on the skill of the berserker (or if they have one too) if they must stand all together or split etc. If they stand together they must be sure they can kill the enemy berserker fast and quickly without leaving any group formation....etc. Ignoring the berserker isn't an option cause then he will break them :mrgreen: , and choosing to split so that only few get intimidated by the berserker's Warcry and debuffed, well we all know the results of splitting.... (the options are many, and that's the nice part)

I think that way the berserker role tends to have a disorganise aspect, except from other things, like the horse, but he must be much more good and aware of what he does.
    So simply :  Avoiding the berserker ,is what he wanted(you probably withdraw) . Trying to kill him , is again what he leaves for!  :cool:
    Both help the team, if used correctly.

That was a more detailed info upon my thought. Your's the comments...

12. Jean de Mentz

Suggestions

I highly regard this mod as the best one I've tried so far.

Some comments and suggestions for the next updates i would like to mention are:
    1) At last i see a horse, not a pony! Great real heavy horse textures, keep going that way. Never reduce the strength of cav! Strong and dangerous but limited!
    2) Spear formations and spearmen the most common sight at Dark Ages period. Keep it that way and I would say more, if we have the same point of view. Figure out ways to have them more in game (at least for the first rounds). Maybe give more swords only to higher-rank warriors like Huscarls... etc and the rest Spears and one-handed Axes. Or make everything else than Spears more expensive. Keep offcourse the imbalance of factions as you already do(Viking + Norman swords should be cheaper for that factions, but overally increase their prices).
    3) Berserker. Please don't let him down among the pikes!  :shock: :razz:.  Nice concept, i think there can be ways to balance him without excluding him. I liked the idea "The rest slow down from hits, berserker not", maybe not always?
    Find ways that don't buff him outright....but when he uses them in time and with strategy. A Warcry-taunt perhaps (enemies get slower for little time, or balance it in any way, like horn effect, with limited uses) . His overall fixed strengths should be greater if he is going to be naked(which is cool), or less if he is normally armed, have that as an option perhaps...
    Another idea....why not if he is to be naked, but give morale to his comrades like flag effect?! I would like that last.
    Have him the only one able wielding the longaxes etc, naked/painted or simple hide armor (faction choice), only 1 Warcry-taunt ability/period(or round) to survive or to make the difference and some effect buff to his comrades if he takes damage while Warcry (and not dead of course :razz:)
  13. Jean de Mentz

Suggestions

Great job and the feeling of the game is amazing! It rightfully passes the feeling of the Dark Ages period, better than most other mods i tried.
    If only there was a mini single campaign, anywhere those factions could collide....(doesn't have to be a big map highly detailed)
    some minor things i noticed and wanted to suggest...
    1) Shields (Round ones) seem kind of thin? Weren't they supposed to be a little more thick? I am not a history expert, but the feeling they give from behind is that you hold a thin notice board. The details seem very nice but the thickness seems to be less than it should?
    2) I noticed in some maps a little lag, is it because the maps are larger? Should i change any video options (my ping and number of players where the same...the difference was clear though!)

that's all! Continue this way with your art.... by the sword & by the spear! :grin:
  14. Jean de Mentz

Heavy Cavalry - Weak or Not ?

FDEL said:
    I think the heavy cavalry's "heaviness" is fine as it is. Even though it might take 6-7 arrows to bring it down, lighter horses take much less (2-3 arrows at most for saddle and coursers). On top of that, heavy cavalry is better protected against non-piercing attacks like sword slashes (took me 8 good swings with a great sword to kill a stray armored horse the other day). I feel that the important thing isn't to make them as historically accurate as possible, but to maintain the effect that having an armored horse means you have a sense of safety while others see you as more dangerous, to a noticeable degree compared to lighter horses. This I believe has already been achieved.

I am confused... how exactly secure you feel when you are slower and less mobile than 2-3 good archers with 3000 gold (at least) less expensive equipment that can unhorse you in 5-6 secs max???
    Every time you charge a prepared infantry/archer you have to be more carefull than he does even if heavy equipped! + your sword swings where while horse was imobile? Cause i think with a longaxe one proper hit at a charging horse is enough....

I think choosing the Lighter equipped horses makes you a rather faster/difficult target and since you can't charge them anyway (because you are going to be stopped by a spear or any polearm or arrows) , it's much more effective to do the usual Light Cav tact of flanking and etc!
    Why buying a Warhorse or armor anyway?  If you are going to be the cav-flanker anyway??? Even shortbow can crush you!

That's the point of the post.....

But why not having a new extra role like Heavy Cavalry anyway....? A role as it should be ....DANGEROUS!

Have a new move applied : set spear .  Not having infantry impaling horses at sight anymore....
    Have horses with more HP and charging power but be more expesive and worthy of their cost . Horses should not be treated like shields!!!
    Stopping an unarmored charging animal with a simple hit it's fine but that doesn't mean you leave undamaged!
    Having paid for a heavy armored horse should give the player the advantage to be a true knight! not a greedy flanker. That means that you can charge on light infantry(arhers,simple spearmen etc) prepared or not without worry of loosing your mount or your life(if you know when and how to use lance)! This isn't unbalanced if properly counter balanced!!! This equipment could be counter balanced by other weapons/tactics....(heavy arbalest, Set spear formations, 2 infantry united to stop the knight) . All these can be very easily tested i think and developed to give the aspect of the Heavy Knight to a game called Mount & Blade....it's same to use mounts like coca cans

15. Jean de Mentz

Jesus YOUR LORD said:
    The strength or weakness of cav depend on the tactics used by the person on the horse and the terrain of the map. There are some brilliant cav plays on oceanic servers (ACC1 comes to mind) who will often dominate when going cav, and there are some really **** players who charge headlong into pikes and complain that cav are underpowered.  Good cav rarely charge head-on unless there are lots of them together, they do best flanking and ******** archers and keeping to the edge of melee fights and striking unprepared players.

Your poll is useless, clearly you feel cav are underpowered as all except one of your poll options imply that cav suck.  I assume this is because you don't know how to play the class.  If you want us to assume otherwise you should have put up a less stupid poll.

With love and forgiveness,

YOUR LORD Jesus Christ

I very fun of the cavalry play even if i am not very good at it...I do not imply that cavalry should charge on pikes!!! And i have not followed that tactic! The tactics you refer though don't apply to this poll. Having archers shooting at pikemen it's logical enough ok.....but what about simple spearmen!!! Even the heavy armored horse can be stopped with the cheapest spear of the game(i have enjoyed many kills that way ) if targeted in the center of change, (which is simple if the speed of the horse is low!!!) On the other hand doing rounds the map until you manage to flank the opponent isn't the safest thing when a simple shortbow with bodkin arrows throws your warhorse dead with 6-7 shots!!! When historically shortbow could pierce heavy cavalry barding only in dreams! Anyway flanking and killing an opponent when he fights your teammate, just because he can stop your horse at will with his spear, is a tactic best fit to LIGHT CAVALRY !
    And many others problems such as that mounts should always trip and damage opponents when they pass over targets, (not just gently stop if they don't have enough speed) horsemen have even/less reach than footmen.....etc. The list is large....with major problems in my opinion the Warhorse's health,damage,charge-power issues + spear vs horse barding.

Have you seen any of these problems, or simply you thing i am a noob? I have lanced many opponents and i am not making this poll just because i think cavalry should charge on pikes, cavalry actually with the couched lance option is the best way of earning your first kills in an open battlefield if used skillfully! But Heavy cavalry should not be Light cavalry! Otherwise what's the difference in Swavia vs Khergit?  Heavy Warhorses where expensive and reliable that's why they got their name u know! And setting a longspear against the horse was historically a secure option if you where kneeling,stable,and with supporting pikemen doing the same, not being a single moving powerful thrusting machine that can rip any armored Warhorse at glimpse! 
  16. Jean de Mentz

I apply this poll just to see the general opinion of the community.....due to the updates!
  17. Jean de Mentz

SoT - Music Preview

excellent work there .....very inspiring :!: :!: :!:

The Song of Taliesin = true masterpiece mate....
    the rest are "simply" excellent!!! :grin:
  18. Jean de Mentz

Song of Taliesin II: March Preview

Great great great....really good scalemails and spatha texture work there , many compliments to Kolba and SoT team , really good version 2.0!!! Very intresting scenarios for quests, nice historic details. I hope as is mensioned that there will be corrections on the weapons (reach,damage, etc...) , i am really looking forward for the summer now :grin:
    Are there going to be more body warpaints? for more barbaric Saxon and Pict concept???    :cool:

Let's also hope Kolba will update his pc for an Warband SoT version release!!! (i have 2 ready Nvidia 6600 SLI resting...):razz::razz::razz:

more spoileeeers!!!
  19. Jean de Mentz

Two weapon fightin? (dual wielding)

+1 for all the guys suggesting dual wielding doesn't fit very much in a "Medieval" M&B.
      Above all i don't really know if it's quite difficult to learn an Asian kind or whatever dual-wielding kind technique....but i am quite sure European dark age -KNIGHTS (with capital cause they had the privilage of time to waste on "technique" ,the rest simply used weapon like chopping wood :razz:) hardlry knew special techniques in wielding one weapon! (let's not talk about two-handed weapons....:razz:)  plus most of these techniques aimed to place your opponent in "A" position best fit to execute him (trip attacks, disarming ,grappling etc) . Could these people abandon their only hope against a "rain" of arrows or a sudden backstab in the heat of battle ("shield" :razz:), for such a high effective technique as dual-wielding!!!?? Well i think if they were not playing in  a Hollywood film they would not.

+1 for all that suggested dual-wielding is a nice idea. Generally

20. Jean de Mentz

Add a weapon....???

NO oooook everything ok ...... the whrong strategy was to copy paste the resources.....i just added with OpenBrf to an existing resource brf file of SoT (Kolba.brf for example) everything i needed!!! And deleted any new load_mod_resource from module.ini......
    Adding new Resources to the Resources directory perhaps isn't correct.....you will always get something like "couldn't load..."

Thanks for everything !!!!
Back
Top Bottom