Author Topic: [S] Dawn of Man - BETA Released.  (Read 173283 times)

Zarthas

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
[S] Dawn of Man - BETA Released.
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
Dawn of Man

Beta Download!

---Beta Released!!

Hello all, back with another Super rough, still somewhat ugly Beta.  I simply don't have a lot of time left to clean it up.  I added tons of shit, don't even remember what all it was at this point.  Factions rebalanced, new ones created, new items, equipment, and beasties.

-- Known Bugs --
  -- For some people, it will crash on run
 -- For some people, it will crash when using a ranged weapon or speaking to the merchant in that first scene

-- To-Do List! --

Make Starting Race Affect Stats/Equipment
Redo Character Creation
Barter System - There's no currency, trade items for other items
Crafting - Use the Craftsman(Engineer) skill to create new weapons from pieces you collect.
Foraging - Use a new Foraging ability from the camp menu to scavenge an area for food or supplies.   Depends upon your Scavenge(Looting) skill.
Start your own Village - Create a village of your own.  Will require a bit of raw materials.  Will be inhabited by whoever you put there, and will generate troops of your starting culture.

Well hello again forums  :D  Been on something of a hiatus, a lot of crazy shit going on on my end.  All pretty good though.  Anyways, I'm back to tease you with more epic screens.  The mod has been rebuilt from the ground up AGAIN, but I can say without a doubt, this is the best version to date.

The world is young, and man is not yet the master of his domain.  Fledgling clans struggle for their very survival, and savage and dangerous beasts roam the untamed wilderness.  As mankind begins to come together, begins to rise above the simple life of an animal, you come into the world.  Will you lead your people into an age of prosperity, building up their humble wandering-camps into villages? Or will you give humanity its first taste of the horrors of war?

This mod has taken something of a new direction with a lot of the help from sir IYI-o-r-t.  The setting has been pushed back even further, and we'll be seeing the cousins of early humanity.

Development Screens Album!

NEW http://img151.imageshack.us/g/mb44.jpg/

OLD http://img411.imageshack.us/g/mb1w.png/

-New Features -
(click to show/hide)

Beasts
(click to show/hide)

Clans/Factions -
(click to show/hide)

Banners!
(click to show/hide)

Contributors! -
Verbeek - All of the great splash and menu artwork!
-I-Y-I-O-R-T- - Ridiculous number of textures and meshes.  All the people, and several items.
SirNight33 - Cool spear and hide shield models
Dain Ironfoot - Capes and cloaks OSP.
Highlander - A bunch of animals, and the weapons from the original Paleolithic mod.
Voutare - Stuff from paleolithic mod
HokieBT - Helping out with the script for the Beast Rider system.
Sibylla - Hair meshes
J6oe - A spiked club model
Hairfree - Music Set
Brytenwalda Team, especially Brust - Boarskin model, being cool dudes generally

- Curse of the Neolithic Mod -
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:51:14 PM by Zarthas »

Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Flammen Königin
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Gentlemen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: TiberiusDecimusMaximus
  • M&BWBNW
Re: Neolithic
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
Well, this has been attempted quite a few times, and the only one which actually finished was the Paleothic: Fight for Homo Genus, for .808. But on that note, the basic idea sounds pretty good. I like the bit on cannibalism  :lol:

So good luck with the mod, hope it turns out.

Aetheus

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Yes? You were saying?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »
How about the whole "Travelling tribes" idea that another similar mod used? There weren't any towns/cities, instead, you could enter temporary scenes (camps) when interacting with travelling parties.
Wow obviously Native with no mods is the best , because without it there wouldn't be any mods anyways.

clayton

Is Native a mod? No? Well then your comment is ******** irrelevant.

mightywolve

• Sergeant
  • Mother russia!
    • View Profile
    • My Mount & Blade Movie Channel
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:41 PM »
I think its really weird to see no village/towns but only moving party's.
Ye can put some towns. Just little ones.  :wink:
Бережёного Бог бережёт.

God keeps those safe who keep themselves safe.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Flammen Königin
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Gentlemen
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »

Well how about a combination of the two? For example, in a desert like land, there would be a lot of travelling tribes, but as they have been around for a while, they would typically camp, or even meet up with other tribes in congregations, in certain well known areas. Such as: oasis', grassland, defensible positions, and sheltered areas. However, they only meet there every once in a while, so you could use the tournament script and see if you can apply that to merchants, taverns, and the like so it only comes around every month or so.

mountaindblade21

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Jedi Squirrels- Well shit, now we're really fucked
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: mountaindblade21
  • M&BWB
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. Good luck.

Zarthas

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:42:55 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Paleolithic for .808, still have it actually.  The 'travelling towns' thing was a big feature in Paleolithic, since there was no agriculture or animal husbandry.  However, in the Neolithic Era, both those things exist to some degree, so permanent settlements started to become more of the norm.  I've been kinda thinking about the moving settlements idea, but for now, the majority of settlements are permanent. 

I'm actually rather liking your idea Tiberius.  I'll have to think on that some more.

edit: Oh yeah, I stole the cannibalism idea from Paleolithic :P Was one of my favorite parts hehe.

Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Flammen Königin
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Gentlemen
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
Re: Neolithic - Models and Screens
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 01:24:18 AM »
So will there be any Desert type tribes? Or perhaps some sort of early fantasy civilization, a bit like in 10,000 B.C. (imminent hate for that movie goes here)

Zarthas

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »
I am thinking about adding some Nomadic desert tribes, but I think they'd primarily appear as bandits, with maybe a couple of wandering traders?  I'd definitely like to implement that idea with Oases though.  I'm thinking that Oases throughout the desert would serve as uncapturable towns, with each only being populated at certain times like you said.

Haha, poor 10,000 bc.  It tried so hard.

I'm thinking that the Men of the Jungle will be a sort of imperial force, with an active agenda to conquer and enslave the Island, Mountain, and Plains peoples.  Slavery is going to be much more profitable and common this time around as well.
Hell though, if you got any ideas, toss 'em out!

I already got to adding an Amazon bandit faction :P

Progress is actually going really well, will probably be playable by next week (yay)

Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Flammen Königin
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Gentlemen
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:05 AM »
So... do you have any ideas for the map? I mean, some cool transitions would be nice. All too often I see that snow suddenly ends on the map, and then immediatly there is lush woodland. So, for example, as your transitioning from the Jungle Tribes to the Island tribes, there would be rainforest, than flooded woodland, than a mangrove lagoon, than ocean, than the islands.

Also, will these 'tribes' actually be unified, or will they be split apart? I kinda like the second option better, but its your mod  :wink:

Maeglin Dubh

• Knight
  • Forum Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:30:37 AM »
I really like the look of this, and I wish you the best of luck.

Tycho on the Warband Beta Server

mightywolve

• Sergeant
  • Mother russia!
    • View Profile
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »

Well how about a combination of the two? For example, in a desert like land, there would be a lot of travelling tribes, but as they have been around for a while, they would typically camp, or even meet up with other tribes in congregations, in certain well known areas. Such as: oasis', grassland, defensible positions, and sheltered areas. However, they only meet there every once in a while, so you could use the tournament script and see if you can apply that to merchants, taverns, and the like so it only comes around every month or so.

Well thats a great idea I think.
Its kinda more realistic, hope you can put that in your mod.
Бережёного Бог бережёт.

Zarthas

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »
@Tiberius
I've been trying to work that one through myself.  I think most of the 'tribes' will just be very, very loose confederations without any kind of central government, and certainly no king.  Its more along the lines of, 'I probably won't kill you'.

Jungle tribes on the other hand will be unified, with an Emperor as its head.

I've been thinking on what sort of new terrains I should be adding as well.  I for sure need a Jungle terrain, and swamps would be awesome as well methinks.  I understand what you mean about transitions :P I'll take it a bit more seriously.

@Maeglin Dubh
Thank you sir ^_^

@mightywolve
I seem to be leaning toward that direction. 

mightywolve

• Sergeant
  • Mother russia!
    • View Profile
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »

@mightywolve
I seem to be leaning toward that direction.

:wink:
Бережёного Бог бережёт.

Zarthas

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
A few notes on how Villages, Castles, and  Cities will work in Neolithic.

Villages will be fully garrisonable, and raids will play out a bit differently, as in the villagers will almost always resist.  Villages will be the most common city type, so there'll be more available interaction with them and with villagers.  I was thinking of adding a Shaman/Wise Woman to each village, for healing and general witchy items, and probably a food merchant.  Companions I think will show up in villages now.

Forts will be sparse, but they will exist.  Most will be Hill-Forts, with construction being as little as possible.  Forts will contain huge stockpiles of food and supplies, and be well worth raiding.  About 1/2 the forts there are now.

Cities will be even sparser.  Most factions will have one or two.  They're bustling centers of civilization, akin to ancient city-states like Sumeria.  The City-Kings are the most powerful lords in the realm.  Most will contain actual Market-places.

So far, the Men of the Desert are slated to be a wandering faction, and the only faction without permanent settlements.