Best place to start a kingdom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Where is it at? I tired in friese but with all the lords around there it would be atleast a 1-1.5k marshal party waiting for me after I take their town and maybe a castle is there any other place to start at thats alittle safer? Should I wait its been over 1k ingame days :xf-mad:

Dub lin is a good place to start a kingdom, just make sure you get your right to rule up to about 50 and have a large war chest. Try to become friendly with the Irish factions as well.

sometimes doing a claimant quest first can set you up pretty as you can carve out a sweet slice of prime connected real estate with towns/castles. you earn right-to-rule with every lord defecting to you.

greatkingdavid said:
Where is it at? I tired in friese but with all the lords around there it would be atleast a 1-1.5k marshal party waiting for me after I take their town and maybe a castle is there any other place to start at thats alittle safer? Should I wait its been over 1k ingame days :xf-mad:

i have the same question. i also wanted to start with friese as its isolated from the islands and only has 1 town but of course the AI always has huge stacks of troops

maybe whittle them down by defeating them in the field first? but i still dont know how to defeat a 500 unit stack... unless I had all elites i would need 200+ troops and the upkeep and morale hit would destroy me

I think any place with as few lords as possible for a faction would be good. Ireland is pretty good, as Laigin and Tribe of Osraige only have 3 lords per faction I think, so less troops to deal with overall compared to Friese, where its isolated but there are quite a few lords.

I've found Lathinlind is the easiest, if they haven't become a force that's expanded far. Their fiefs are scattered and their lords don't respond to the Marshal effectively due to the large split in where they are located.

Another good choice would be to take on the Engles. They are strong, but if you start with their port town via sea siege, you can easily take them down. My advice before doing this, build your Refuge next to a city you intend to take. Store up as many soldiers as you can into there (best to get it to level 3) and then hit the intended target with as many units as you can hold. Don't try to starve them out. Siege them out, take the city by force. Store up your garrison into it, and then withdraw all your refuge troops, bunker down into the city.

They will come siege that city. Cities are very valuable. I've always gotten 2-4 lords come knocking at my doors just a day or so after taking it. If you can, recruit from the local areas after the siege. Keep that garrison heavy and your own troops heavy.

The idea here, is to let them all come to you and try to take the city. Beat them down, and hopefully take some lords as prisoners. Once you have taken the city, beaten back their forces, you start to damage them. Raid their fiefs. Hold their lords captive. Attack traders, farmers, peasants, ect. Siege castles. Plunder them and leave them as theirs if you lack the numbers. Make the lords hate their current king/ruler. Eventually, you'll be able to make one or two lords defect. This is where the plundering and devastating their fiefs comes in handy. The places will hate you, but not the lords you give them to. It's a very difficult process to carve out your own kingdom from nothing in VC. There are many kingdoms, and many lords, stretched over a wide space. Prepare to invest time and a lot of money into rebuilding your armies and playing defensive, barely clinging onto what you've taken.

how do you flip lords if you have -25 relations with them from fighting them/taking them prisoner?

TheBarbarian said:
harpred said:
how do you flip lords if you have -25 relations with them from fighting them/taking them prisoner?

Hold feasts and give them land.

that can work but the best option is to suck up all game long with about 6-8 lords. That is all you'll need to conquer the world. Always look for "good natured or upstanding because once their rel 100, it will never drop no matter what you do. As king, while having tons of real estate sound cool, the better way is to hold only one town with linked villages. raise relation to 100 for min. tax inefficiency. give everything else to lords. let one of them be marshall. in no time, they'll each command huge armies merrily conquering the world for you while you do whatever you want.

TLDR> there are many ways of doing this, each player has a preferable strategy. So explore a few and see what fits your playstyle  :smile:

Also remember you can start a sandbox as a lord or a king of any nation (new feature for VC RE 2.0)

kwbudirt said:
TheBarbarian said:
harpred said:

Hold feasts and give them land.

that can work but the best option is to suck up all game long with about 6-8 lords. That is all you'll need to conquer the world. Always look for "good natured or upstanding because once their rel 100, it will never drop no matter what you do. As king, while having tons of real estate sound cool, the better way is to hold only one town with linked villages. raise relation to 100 for min. tax inefficiency. give everything else to lords. let one of them be marshall. in no time, they'll each command huge armies merrily conquering the world for you while you do whatever you want.

serious? now im confused. I thought maybe giving a few fortified villages to your lords could be a good idea, so they can garisson them with free troops.. but giving the majority if your kingdom to your lords is pretty extreme and i would never have thought to do it. i would assume they would then behave like any other AI faction - winning sometimes, losing some times, balance of power always kept.. without a human player at the helm it would be difficult to conquer efficiently wouldnt it? thats why i thought its best to keep most of the real estate for yourself (more income for your own army)

kalarhan said:
harpred said:
best to keep most of the real estate for yourself (more income for your own army)

read about Tax efficiency
:arrow: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Taxes

right

As a result of Tax Inefficiency, it is advisable once a strong economic basis is established (such as with Productive Enterprises) to refuse villages and castles as fiefs (which often cost more than their worth to defend anyway), only accepting towns. However, having towns often requires taking them and having high renown if you do not own your own kingdom.

still a far cry form only holding "1 town and connected villages"..

harpred said:

values may be different for VC, but the idea is the same. You can't hold too much land (villages, forts or towns), otherwise you will lose cash on corruption. Spread out your centers with your vassals.

You can (in VC) hire a helper that will reduce this slightly. It costs 3000 peningas (IIRC) every budget (5 days), so it allows you to get more territory in return. But not many.

If you played a game like CK you know about demesne and why a king could not hold all the centers in a kingdom  :mrgreen:

To the earlier question, the only Lord you should permanently keep as a Prisoner is the king of the kingdom you're taking down, and if you can figure out who the Marshal is, him as well. This will keep the strongest armies tied up. From there, all you need to do is figure out which Lords are the best to take, usually the ones that respond extremely well to you letting them go free when given the choice to be taken as a prisoner or let them keep their freedom. You only need to keep the King and the Marshal down. With the King kept as prisoner, he can't elect a new marshal. With the Marshal gone, the AI won't fight together as effectively, and the (usually) 2nd largest army for a lord will be kept out of the cycle. It's easy pickings once you have the enemy lords down on farm, killing their troop #'s as soon as they get around 60 or so, making it easier to catch them so long as you have a relatively high path finding level.

Dealing damage to the ruler and marshal's controversy is a great way to make lords wish to defect. Just be careful not to get carried away with raiding their fiefs, since it generally lowers the relationship with them. I usually only do it once to each fief, and usually looting the villages frequently.

Right but as you said you're not going to be able to flip all the lords (nor would you want to). Probably 1-2 max right?

Also for the purpose of winning wars when fighting under a king to get right to rule, keeping the lords prisoner would be more effective wouldn't it ? Unless the negative relations with everyone from that faction isn't worth it in the Long run..

harpred said:
kalarhan said:
harpred said:
best to keep most of the real estate for yourself (more income for your own army)

read about Tax efficiency
:arrow: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Taxes

right

Buuuut... The size of your lords' armies is calculated on their wealth. so, the more fiefs they have, the larger their armies get. Appoint as your marshall a family member (bride's father/brother). Also, from companion fact finding avoid recruiting "rival" lords.
all this will give you a rock solid self campaigning AI juggernaut army that will roll up the map.

i see.. looks like a lot of research has to go into it before you attack a faction to start up

geez its gonna be a problem with Friese... the only lord there with negative relations with his king is i think the ??Haraldson guy (bad guy from the beginning of the original campaign) and he's a dickhead (all his missions are to pillage monasteries :razz: )

Back
Top Bottom