Dark Blue World - CZE narrative pseudo-AAR (Part V out - War at Last!)

Users who are viewing this thread

aarlogo.jpg

I have been playing with this idea for some time. I really like Hearts of Iron games (and modifications and ripoffs) for all the crazy stuff that can happen and for my amusement with imagining what these events would look in "real life" - Austria-Hungary defeating Lawrence of Arabia then siezing Suez canal and such. This is going to be more roleplaying than actually playing the game as I will basically use the game just as a background to tell the stories of several characters (well, and the country, obviously). Rather imagining the events that could happen in the world the game depicts than describing playing game. I will also put some not-DH images into it, such as pics of characters playing a role in AAR, military photos or photos for certain events.

I am using real characters and real events in the AAR, some of them are given other personalities than they really had. So...well...yes...it is not meant to be taken seriously - heck, I even once wrote quite a long story about aircraft-carrying submarine going from Danzig across Atlantic to launch a nuclear strike against New York in 1944. So while technical datas and most of the numbers in text should be +- true, events, traits and personalities of the characters are not.

After long thinking, I have decided to post it into the Duck & Spackle tavern rather than Other games, since it really is not that much about the game. Also, this is my first attempt to write anything like this in english, so apologies for possible mistakes. I would be very grateful if you could tell me whenever I make some serious mistake (not one wrongly spelled word and not one wrongly used tense, but if I keep repeating some mistake) via PMs.

Also, if this really, absolutely and undoubtably belongs into Other Games, feel free to move it / delete it (but tell me before so I can save the text).

Part 1: The Reformation. (March 1933 - March 1934)

darkesthour201301182306.jpg

darkesthour201301182310.jpg

„It’s  a shame. Nothing but a shame, mon ami,“ said general Louis-Eugène Faucher, the man in charge of French military mission in Czechoslovakia.
„I am sure they will get here any time now,“ replied Ludvík Krejčí, chief the staff of the czechoslovak army, veteran of the Austria-Hungairan army as well as Czechoslovak legions on Siberia, but he also had his doubts.
„How can you even think of attaching armor to this…circus. You have bycicles, cavalry, part-motorised, part-horse drawn artillery and armored cars. And you do think, general, you wil do any good by adding armoured batallion? You can just add the dog sleighs as well,“ continued Faucher.
„Well, Rome wasn’t bulit in a day. Besides, there they are!“ said Krejčí as a group of 4t Tatra RVs emerged from the forest, closely followed by a group of horses towing their guns and carts.“
„Excellent! Your whole offensive has just been delayed by a hour. Lets get close and we will find out the explanation for this…disapointment.“

Two men mounted their horses and started to gallop towards the artillery detachment that just started arranging their light howitzers into the firing positions. Group of bicyclists was lying by the side of the road, watching the artillerists in their effort, unmoved by the chaos around them. Armored cars rushed forward, leaving the rest of the division behind. Krejčí was doubting that this army could ever hope to defeat anyone with superior numbers. The stupid taxation of trucks based on their weight passed by the government in the early thirties effectively forced industrialists to buy only lighter trucks. If siezed during the mobilisation, these trucks would be nearly useless. Army itself had too little of its own trucks. Once again the horses were to run the show.

42284910sx4.jpg
10zk9.jpg

„Captain, why are these guns late?! You should have been there sixty minutes ago! These horses and cars aren’t THAT slow.“
„Sir, one of the trucks flipped over. We had to unlimber the guns and use the horses to get it back on wheels.“
„Are you out of your mind, captain?! This is a bloody war! You are supposed to get your guns where they’re needed! Not to repair stupid automobiles!“
„Yes sir.“
„What would you do if your column was to be strafed by the enemy planes, captain!? Heal every goddamn horse? You are here to give fire support to the advancing armor! How is the armor supposed to advance and break through the line if you are still in the forests getting a truck on its wheels?!“

Krejčí’s anger was stopped as two mounted officers approached the commander of the artillery. After a short talk, all 7.5cm howitzers of the artillery detachment fired their first salvo. Fauchner bursted into laughter. Krejčí immediately rushed towards the artillery commander.

„Are you able to tell me why are you here, gentlemen?“
„Fire coordinates from the armor.“
„And are you able to tell me – gentlemen – why haven’t you used the DAMN RADIO!?“
„We do not have any, sir.“
„Aren’t you supposed to have one in a commanding vehicle?“
„Yes, we are. But there is no commanding vehicle sir. Since the high command decided to substitute the tanks with Armored Cars vz. 23 for the excersise, we do not have a single command tank.“
„How are you even commanding that group?“
„We still have flags.“

Louis-Eugène Faucher, still laughing, unbuttoned his greatcoat and slowly walked toward Krejčí. He looked at the artillery commander, angry Krejčí and the nearly-sleeping cyclists 300m away.

„Lightning war. Who could have ever thought of something that stupid.“

Two months later, everything changed. Adolf Hitler took the place of the absolutistic leader of the Germany and secretly started to rearm the Wehrmacht. Czechoslovak army could mobilise the force of 1.250.000 men, but would be left with no way to replenish casualties. Řediteství opevňovacích prací (directorate of fortification) under command of general Husárek started to build a line of light and heavy fortification around whole Czechoslovakia. Originaly thought to slow the Wehrmacht and give army a time to mobilise, it would soon become the key element of the state’s defence strategy. Two months later a meeting of the most important persons of the Czechoslovak military is called. President of the republic Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk, philosopher and sociologist, is to be present.

Ludvík Krejčí, chief of the staff, is to start the meeting.

„Mr. President, brothers generals, we have gathered here to discuss the reforms in the army. The army is, was and always will be the guardian of the republic and the Czechoslovak nation. It were the legions that helped to build the republic and it were the flails and wagons of our ancestors that made the Europe respect us. But the times have changed. It is no longer a courage and patriotism only that wins the war. Our army needs to be reorganised. For  years I’ve personally trying to develop a new doctrine. The idea of armoured armies making quick breakthroughs seemed logical to me and I gave everything to it. It saddens me, but I have to admit that lightning war is not an option for the Czechoslovak army. Our industry is too weak to produce armoured units in numbers big enough to match the Germans. In the twenties it seemed to me – as to most of my brothers generals, brother Vojcechovský and brother Syrový among them – that it is the most effective way to fight our enemies of the yesterday – Hungary and Poland. With the new power rising in Europe, I can no longer call this idea suitable.“

General Sergej Vojcechovský, russian aristocrat who joined the Czechoslovak legions during their siberian anabasis, fought against Bolsheviks and was given Czechoslovak citizenship, walked towards Krejčí, cleared his throat and proceeded to give his input.

„While our army is stronger than German at this very moment, thanks to Versailles, it wont be like that forever. Our defense and security was and is relying on France and their army. To think our armed forces would ever have a chance to defeat Germany in a pitched battle is ilusory at best. According to the french staff, from the initial start of the war it will take them around 2 months to mobilise and begin offensives on german western borders. It will take another month to force the Germans to transfer their units from our borders to the french ones. Our goal therefore is to preserve the functional army at all costs. We will sacrifice land if we must.  At the start of war we can – and will - exploit the advantage that mountain terrain by our borders give us. General Husárek and his fortification bureau  are promissing that every road leading from Germany to Czechoslovakia would have a heavy bunker with 37mm autocannon guarding it, thus effectively making any unit behind the fortification line unable to be supplied. Once the fortified line fall, and make no illusions, it will fall – our forces will begin slow and organised retreat to Moravia and – in the worst possible scenario – Slovakia. Then we will entrench and wait for the french military to defeat the enemy. Army will be reorganised into two large groups. Four armies – Hraniční pásmo I in Prachatice, Hraniční pásmo II in Karlovy Vary, hraniční pásmo III in Liberec and Hraniční pásmo IV in Silesia – each equipped with mountain divisions and one Hraniční oblast will be tasked  with the defense of the fortification line. Second part will be reserves consisting of divisions of infantry, motorised infantry and those wonderful and totally-working quick divisions. Their task will be – obviously – support of frontline units, preventing deep breakthroughs and protecting frontline units in case they are forced to fall back.“

Sergej_Vojcechovsky.PNG
ludvik-krejci.jpg
General of the Air Force Karel Janoušek, sitting in a black leather armchair, putted away his cigarette.

„Brothers generals, you are still fighting the war of yesterday. The only way to victory is to inflict as much manpower losses as we can,“ said Janoušek.
„Well, infantry and rangers are not equipped with lollipops,“ countered Vojcechovský.
„Not that manpower, brother general. THAT manpower.“
„I dont see what you are trying to say, general. If you would kindly bother to explain your idea…“
„Strategic bombers.“

„Excuse me for asking so impolitely brother general, but were you drinking on your way here? I mean…what the hell?“ replied Vojcechovský.
„Idea is simple. As you said, it is very unlikely for the Germans to break through the fortification line sooner that two weeks from the start of war. Instead of fighting them on the borders, we will move the war to their country. To their homes. Fighters cannot prevent bombers from reaching their targets, let alone finding them in the night. In the initial hours of war, our strategic fleet will target the closest german cities. First wave armed with incendiary ordnance will set buildings on fire, trap the people inside their houses or force them  to fight the flames in the streets. Second wave with conventional high explosive weaponry should turn these streets into ruins and make firefighting more difficult. With strategic fleet of sufficient size, we could expect aroud…“ general Janoušek takes a small paper out of his jacket pocket „50k-60k inflicted casualties in the first week. Effectivity would quite naturally go down after the first shock as Germans would force blackouts in their cities as well as transfer their fighters from offensive duties to the defense of their cities. But with some luck and good navigation, our raids could still maintain their original effectivity. Once the shock wears off, we will start to target smaller cities and towns, where we can expect weaker anti aircraft defense.“

Krejčí, Vojcechovský and Syrový needed a minute to be able to say a word. It all sounded too bad to be true. Of course they thought that future war will affect civilians in a much bigger way than the Great war, but they couldn't imagine that someone would actually build a military doctrine around the idea.

„Are you aware that these air raids would be of little actual military importance?“
„But…thats actually the idea, brother general! Germans and their prussian arrogance. They expect us to fight them and eventually lose the fair fight. With military music, colors and all. Instead, we will bunker down and proceed to drop bombs on their wives and children.“
„Thats the biggest pile of bull**** I have ever heard,“ said Vojcechovský and Krejčí simultaneously. „You are clearly insane.“
„For weeks their soldiers will be launching unsuccesfull attacks against our fortification line. And die in the proces. And the only news they would recieve from their homeland is that their cities are turned into ruins one by one. They will be begging for peace sooner than they ever thought in their worst dreams,“ finished Janoušek.
„Brother general, you are an idiot,“ said Krejčí who couldn’t believe that anyone would be able to come up with such idea.
„I actually like it,“ said president Masaryk who haven’t said a single word since the beginning of the meeting. If we could publicly announce we posses destructive power of such magnitude, we could avoid the entire war. If Germans would know they would be destroyed or seriously damaged in the war, they wouldn’t dare to declare any war. Just the idea of assured destruction should keep them from the borders.
„Well…yes, mr. President,“ said Janoušek slightly dissapointed by this use of his magnificent plan.
„But tell me, general, what exactly will keep the Germans from doing the same to us?“ asked president.
„We certainly won’t build just the strategic fleet, we should also posses equally strong fighter squadron. And tactical bombers as well as CASs will play their roles as well. Other armies, be it Soviets or French, are supporting their armies with air force. We will support air force with army.“

„And I thought blitzkrieg was stupid,“ said quietly Louis-Eugène Faucher standing in the corner of the war room.

The next months were crucial for the young country of Czechoslovakia. Strategic Bomber Command was established – ironically with Ludvík Krejčí in charge. Government passed set of laws that effectively prevented arm manufacturers to export their goods, thus nearly doubling the production for the Czechoslovak army. Industrialists refusing to obey these laws were arrested. Škoda Works together with Avia were nationalised. Other big arms producers – ČKD, Zbrojovka Brno, Česká zbrojovka, Tatra and Aero remained in the hand of individuals. Until these laws were passed, Czechoslovakia was among the biggest exporters of arms in the world with around 23 percent of the total world arms export.  With these laws, share of Czechoslovakia’s export on total world export fell to 2 percent - the value it reached in 1928. Air force recieved majority of the army funds, and designers together with engineers started to work on new types of aircraft. Factories started to produce Aero A.42s – a monoplane designed in 1929 with a number of construction flaws, but outstanding speed of 255kmh – as a stopgap solution for tactical wings unless better option is available. Fighter squadrons begun to be issued with Avia B.534s – agile and relaible biplanes with a maximum speed of 365kmh, making it possibly the best fighter plane in the world. Problem appeared with the supposed backbone of air force – strategic bombers. Czechoslovakia never designed or was planning to build big bombers and couldnt base the design on anything. Problem was solved by buying license for Marcel Bloch MB.200 bomber from France - big plane with sufficient bomb load. Relatively slow, but very durable and able to land in open field. Designs was modernised, mainly in the field of defensive armament and some needed unification with czechoslovak weaponry, and adopted as Aero MB.200.

wwwconsitcz042x000ia2.jpg
2679880368_e1d7c76eb1.jpg

With so much funds going into the air force and fortification, it was only natural that regular army recieved very little. Motorisation proceeded very slowly with most of the army still using horses. Mountain division were issued only horses and apart from their reconnaissance sections equipeed with armored automobiles had no vehicles at all. Construction and research of tanks was halted, leaving only armored units in the army – armor brigades of three quick division – equipped with obsolete tankettes. Introduction of semi automatic rifle was delayed. Oh…and Gold Diggers of 1933 movie was bought from the Yanks to help czech population overcome the effects of the Great depression.

March of 1934 was quickly coming...

darkesthour201301182325.jpg

darkesthour201301182334.jpg

Explanation of some terms used in text:

Hraniční oblast - translation: borderline area - infantry division placed directly at the state borders or very close to it. Unlike standart infantry division that had 12.000-14.000 men, Hraniční oblast was reinforced with additional brigades and had about 20.000 men.
Hraniční pásmo - translation: borderline zone - army corps tasked with initial defense of the state border
Quick division - originally developed from cavalry brigades, these divisions were made to be mobile, however they were a combination of motorised and armored units and horse-equipped units that were slowing other parts of division.

I like this.
I wonder why you begin quotes with a low quotation mark. I don't remember seeing that before.
There was maybe a few typos, but things seem quite good so far.

Sadly, you might not get so many viewers here. That is, unless this was made the go-to place for AARs again.

Part 2: Abyssinian Gambit. (March 1934 - August 1935)

B5qrg.jpg
CCVCu.jpg

General Syrový inserted the magasine into the weapon he was holding and fired off a short burst. Paper target was immediately torn by bullets.

010.jpg

„It is without a doubt impressive weapon, mr. Coolidge. However it has been decided two days ago – I regret to inform you that we are not interested in big full-scale contract for Czechoslovak army. Giving weapon with such a rate of fire to ordinary soldier would lead to wasting horrendous ammount of ammunition. Soldiers would just fire in a general direction instead of aiming directly at the enemy. We cannot afford such a style of combat as it would be both more expensive and less effective. We currently plan to equip some elite units in the army with semi-automatic rifles, but your Thompson is taking it too far. If I am to say my opinion – such weapon will never see any use in military. Military warfare isn’t Chicago. Try to talk to someone from Ministry of Interior, they could be interested in buying M1928s for police departments. As for army, we are not interested,“ said general Syrový.

“Of course, general. Thanks for suggestion,“ replied mr. Coolidge, salesmen of Colt Firearms Manufacturing Co. for middle Europe. Then he said his farewells to Syrový as well as rest of the officers present and left in his blue Buick.

Syrový was trying to imagine the change these things would bring if entire division were issued Thompsons. It wouldn’t probably work, but for some reason he liked the idea of every soldier being able to lay down suppressing fire and not having the squad depending on LMG only. Not like any of this mattered. All the funds for military were going into the airplanes and fortification. Good ol’ infantry will not receive a single dollar until the sky is filled with bombers.

He, together with Vojcechovský, made request for creation of army air force – air units under command of field generals. And they succeeded. To  certain degree. But instead of composing these units of small and agile close air support biplanes, that could make great scouts and have reasonable armament as well as being able to land in field, Strategic Command decided to compose these units of twin engine Aero A.42 – plane that requires long runway and has no gun armament whatsoever. Moreover, Strategic Air Command decided to keep an option of taking these units from armies to use them for their own objectives.

Meanwhile at the western part of republic, near the city of Karlovy Vary, a woman yet untouched by all the army effort was looking out of the window. Klára Šindlerová was a widow in her mid-thirties with two daughters, liked by nearly all her neighbors despite her Czech nationality deep inside Sudetenland, with a medium sized farm inherited from her husband Karel Šindler – Sudeten German, who died one and a half year ago when falling from the horse. She was left with a farm, some cattle and few acres of fields. Finding hired laborers to work on the fields in the time of great depression was not hard, so Klára was well off without having to work too much. She had graduated from the German university in Prague – where she was forced by her father - in engineering, but she hadn’t used any of the knowledge ever in her life. She kind of enjoyed not having to do anything.

Adina-Mandlova-1max.jpg

Now she was looking as army car was approaching the farm. It stopped, driver opened the passenger doors and two officers in their long green overcoats got off. They started to look around, obviously confused by the number of doors the farm had. Klára rushed out of the living room.

“Are you looking for someone, gentlemen?” she asked.
“Actually, yes. The owner of this farm.”
“That would be me.”
“Wonderful. We need you to come with us. It will take just about two hours. By the way, I am lieutenant Bláha,” said the higher ranking men of two officers.
“Klára Šindlerová, pleased to meet you. What’s this all about?“ 
“The law of the defense of the republic.”

It took 20 minutes before army automobile arrived into the yard of military headquarters in Karlovy Vary. Officers then showed Klára to rather big room with table in the middle. The air was heavy with cigarette smoke and wall were full of maps showing construction of various projects, from fortifications to plans for highway from Plzeň to Uzhorod in Carpathian Ukraine. Klára had taken a seat and was watching lieutenant Bláha searching cabinets for some folders. Once he found them, he threw them at the table and sat into his chair.

“Ms. Šindlerová, maybe you already know why you are here.”
“I assure you I haven’t a slightest idea.”
“Army will need your farm as well as the belonging land. You will be compensated by the sum of 75.000 Crowns. You will also be offered a flat in Prague for a decent price. And lastly, if you would need assistance in finding new job, Republic will be more than happy to help those who are helping it.”
“I do not want to sell the farm. And I never will. My family lived on this piece of land for several generations.”
“You see, Ms. Šindlerová, you really don’t have much of a choice in this. We are trying to help you, but you can’t change the decisions that were already made.”
“How…how much time do I have to move out?” asked Klára, who was in a slight shock.
“The dozers will start tomorrow at 10:30AM. Army will lend you one truck to move your belongings. Now that you are informed, we shall start with this paperwork…”

The trip back in the cabin of small truck was painful for Klára who was immediately recalling all the memories of the place, its surrounding – all the streams in close woods, hills and meadows. Distinctive smell of each room in the farm buildings. Even more painful was seeing the place again. Army hurried and there were already soldiers getting heavy machinery off the platforms of the trucks. Klára packed all the things she and her daughters had and sent them to their new home in Prague. Then she bid farewell to the place and requested to be dropped at the railway station. She had no intentions to travel 150km in a small lorry.

ZgoU5.jpg
RflvL.jpg

It took only a few months and new airfields started to pop all over the republic. 1st Tactical Air Fleet was formed under command of general Vrabec. Unit equipped with now-rather-obsolete A.42s was temporary stationed in Prague, until it will be transferred to Karlovy Vary and Prague will become the main base of Republic’s heavy bombers. Young adjudant rushed into Vrabec’s room and quickly waked sleeping officer.

“Sir, there is war! You are needed at the army meeting. The car from the staff is already here!”

Vrabec hastily took all the things he was going to need, descended the long staircase of his house and settled inside Praga Grand – large automobile from early 30s used by army for ceremonial events. Vrabec went through the papers in his handbag and tried to think of all the necessary steps that would need to be executed. Bombers are safely locked inside hangars and as far as he remembered, german air force had no weapon that could reliably destroy things inside these bunkers. Officers are probably telephoning the pilots and getting them to the airfield. The unit need to be ready as soon as possible. Two hours after start of conflict seemed acceptable. But Vrabec was slightly confused by the city around him. No blackouts, no soldiers anywhere, no air raid sirens or any sign of war. There was just ordinary night Prague drowning in spring rain. 

Praga finally arrived to its destination. Vrabec putted all papers and books back into handbag and let himself be guided to a large room. Four men were already here, looking at big map on the table in front of them. Not a single man noticed Vrabec staring at them.

“Can we count on the support of the Brits?” asked one of the men by the table.
“They started to mobilise the Mediterranean Fleet. Under 6 hours HMS Warspite and its escort will leave Gibraltar and head for Suez. The rest of fleet should be ready in 24 hours. But I do not think they will take any direct actions. Nor will they allow any from other countries,” replied general Krejčí, the man in charge of Czechoslovak strategic air forces.
„What the devil is going on, gentleman?“ asked general Vrabec who was now completely confused.
„Oh…so you have arrived at last, brother general. Tonight, at 0030 Italy declared war on Abyssinia. We are considering…hmm…how to put it…indirect direct involvment. Sending 1st Tactical Air Fleet together with 1st and 2nd Fighter Wing to support the monarchy. You would quite obviously be the one leading the mission.“
„But doesn’t one have to have this plan approved by president himself?
“Yes, that. We are still working on it.”
“To be honest, I think it is crazy idea. Even if we could get the planes there, we will never get the ground personal and supplies there. If Italy launches an offensive against Abyssinia, they without a doubt control shores. And to get anything through mountains with Italian air force controlling skies…well…it just cannot work.”
“My dear, you are quite a defeatist, aren’t you?”

gU6TF.jpg

General Vrabec was preparing his response,  but before he could answer a soldier arrived with a piece of paper in his hand. He immediately started to read the letter from the president.

„Generals, throughout our history, we were always standing on the side of truth and justice. Your desire to help a weaker nation is honorable indeed, however one need to remember what is possible and what not. While we can sympatise with Ethiopians, any involvment in the war would worsen our relations with Italy and therefore with half of the Europe. What I hear from you is rather some kind of colonialism and eagerness to try the machines of war. Worry not, you will have more than enough oportunities to test them. Just not now and, by gods, not five thousand kilometers away. I hope it is clear. Good night.“

Generals by the table looked at each other. Krejčí folded the map on the table, seemingly unmoved by recent events. He was just playing the game. War is a game. The game.

„Well, that settles it. Good night, gentlemen. I think it was the most valuable lesson to us all. Maybe it will help us once the things get really tough.“

aero42-1.jpg

I.Tactical Fleet’s alert was lifted after 2 days during which the unit conducted series of simulated scrambles and ground attacks. Pilots found out that Aero A.42’s maneuverability suffers during the dive bombing and airplane sometimes even become uncontrollable. Air force command therefore banned dive bombing with these twin-engine planes. However, because of primitive bomb sights this regulation effectively meant that planes were nearly use for the intended role of their unit – close air support, because bombers could not hit individual vehicles and troop concentrations. Their intended targets therefore switched to roads, railroad tracks and stations or supply yards. Vojcechovský was furious about this and – once again – requested creation of air units for CAS. And once again he was told that all industrial capacity of Czechoslovakia is currently busy with fighters and tactical bombers. He only recieved promises that in the future at least one fleet of close air support airplanes – Letov Š.328 is to be created. So far, these sturdy biplanes with slow speed but great armament and durability were serving as reconaissance planes with the divisions.

In the middle of may 1935 Czechoslovak tactical air force (consisting of I.Tactical Air Fleet and II.Tactical Air Fleet – both located at newly build airfield in Karlovy Vary) was completed. It was by far the weakest part of newly reformed Air force – a mere compromise between sheer destructive power of strategic air force and CAS. There were critics among generality claiming that such airplanes have no real purpose since - unlike Britain - Czechoslovakia will probably not strike at any tactical targets further than 200km from her borders. And everything else can be done by strategic bombers. However once the production started, there was really no way back. Despite general disrespect towards tactical air force, general Vrabec was ready to turn it into effective weapon. His first intention was to acquite escort for his bombers. Unlike strategic bombing, that was planned to be carried out under the cover of the night, tactical bombers were to operate during daylight – making themselves easy prey for enemy fighters. However, general Vrabec found himself an opponent in the chief of strategic air force – general Ludvík Krejčí, who – completely in charge of aircraft production – assigned all newly bulit fighters to a fighter squadrons. Vrabec needed to wait for his escorts. How long? He didnt know.

Avia%20B-534%20I.%20verze%20a.jpg
HK2001.jpg

With tactical air force completed, industry switched to strategic bombers. Production went much slower, since large MB.200s were more technologicaly advanced than older A.42s. Meanwhile, the second biggest ordnance factory in the republic – Česká Zbrojovka – finished completely new infantry equipment designed for combat in hills and mountains. Light howitzers, anti tank guns together with equipment needed to move them through terrain where even horses are not of much use. In the end, all this mattered very little, because the republic had no industrial capacity left to produce such weapons. All the blueprints went to the desks where they waited till the factories finish the enormous air force projects. First two wings of MB.200 strategic bombers were formed.

Klára Šindlerová really enjoyed Prague. She would never thought that she – a country girl who spent only five years of her life in Prague during studies – would feel so good in large city like this. Paris of the East some called it. Prague together with Vienna took the role of jewels of central Europe. She refused the job offer by the government – a typist for the insurance company so she was living from her savings which – to be honest – were not exactly small, so she had plenty of time. On the other hand, she found herself a man – army officer from the anti aircraft artillery. Now she was waiting for him in a small café on the waterfront of Vltava river.

“Klára,” said he when he sat down and ordered a beer. “I have the most wonderful news. You must promise me you will consider it. Just say you will think about it.”
“What is it? How can promise you anything if I don’t know what is going on?”
“Just do so. Please.”
“All right,” said she with a smile on her face.
“We can be together. Even outside the weekends. All we need is you joining the army.”
“What a swell idea,” replied Klára as she sliced off a piece of strudel. “Too bad they don’t allow women into the army, isn’t it?”
“And that is where you are wrong, sweetheart. There are big reforms of the defence laws planned. Among other things they allow women as volunteers into non-combat roles. I can help to press your application – you know…help the fate a little. You speak german so well no one can tell whether you are native speaker or not. You simply have to do this. There will be plenty of positions at the airport and they simply have to need someone like you.”
“It definitely sounds…interesting.”
“You will make terrific soldier, Klára. Trust me.”

One week later, Klára bought newspapers only to find out three year conscription had been enacted. Her application was now lying in the desk of some man in the ministry of war. Ready to be approved. In fact, most certainly approved at this moment – she just wasn’t notified yet. But she knew. She even visited a tailor yesterday – to have her uniform made. Little protection can get you very far.

059.jpg

cLfng.jpg
MCIxR.jpg

Rallix said:
I wonder why you begin quotes with a low quotation mark. I don't remember seeing that before.
I use Word to write this. Defeault language set in Word is Czech and in Czech quotations begin with low quotation mark and end with upper one.

Great job! There are some mastakes in the words, but nothing too horrific. Cannot wait for the next chapter. Also, I think it would be best if instead only the starting year for the chapter to put the ending one too. Because it starts in 1934 and ends in 1935. Don't know if you understood me or not, so i`ll give an example:
"Part 2: Czechoslovakia, March 1934 - August 1935"

Part 3: Fail Safe. (April 1936 - March 193:cool:

JPdza.jpg
l0IMq.jpg

I never knew the old Vienna before the Great war with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm…

Newly elected Czechoslovak president, former minister of foreign affairs Edvard Beneš, was sitting in the armchair and thinking about the country he inherited from Dr. Masaryk, who resigned due to bad health. While the country itself - its economy, spirit, reputation and army were rated highly, strategic situation seemed hopeless. Beneš expected France to shout louder after recreation of Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe,  but all France managed to do were some empty protests. Fighting spirit of the French army was constantly beaten by political affairs of the country. France itself got into a drag of British foreign policy that tried to pursue peace at all cost. Beneš realized that France cannot be relied on. But who could? President was realizing that Czechoslovakia is desperately low on allies. Yugoslavia and Romania could come to help, but only in case of hypothetical scenario of Wehrmacht failing miserably and Hungary entering the war. They wouldn’t risk involving in a war on a side of country that is going to lose. Czechoslovakia was also never really friendly to Poland, so Poland also couldn’t be counted on. This left only one other country to think of – Austria. Beneš was playing with the idea of Czechoslovakia – Austrian alliance. It would be major shift of the balance of powers in middle Europe. Unfortunately, Austria was politically divided between a group of politicians who could eventually agree to this alliance as a mean of protection of Austrian independence against Hitlers Germany, and the nazi sympathizers. Beneš offered Austria lot of beneficial proposals including help with building of heavy industry that Austria lacked, cooperation in training and building of the armies as well as coordinated foreign policy – be the alliance successful. Sadly, Vienna was rather careful with them. The government even dropped its anti-Hapsburg sentiment that was dominant in Czechoslovak culture and Austria was starting to be accepted part of cultural heritage of Czechoslovakia. The hasty effort of befriending Austria and at the same time to split Czechoslovak German minority got so far that 4th Tactical Wing of the 1st Tactical fleet received an honorary name “Kaiser Franz I”, after 1st Wing got “Jan Kašpar” after the founder of Czech aviation,2nd “Jan Hus” after the priest and de facto first protestant from the early 15th century who became huge cultural symbol for the newly created Czechoslovakia, and “T.G.Masaryk” of the 3rd Tactical Wing after the first president of the independent republic.

beneif3.jpg
056.jpg

Reorganisation of the army proceeded slowly, but first signs of advance were seen. The role of women in the army was enlarged and apart from auxiliary services in the air force, medicine duties in the rear area as well as on the frontline and paperwork duties, women were also permitted to fly the planes in non-combat missions such as flying planes from factories to their units and air transport, take part in logistical forces as well as experimental assigning of women to sharpshooter teams attached to mountain divisions. Still, unlike men, their service was purely voluntary.

By the winter 1937 formation of strategic aviation was completed. Eight wings of improved MB.200s were organized into two strategic fleets. With base at Prague Kbely airport and their range of 1000km these planes were able to hit every important city of the hypothetical enemies of Czechoslovakia. However, attacking distant targets was not advised because low speed of MB-200s meant that they couldn’t make the whole journey under the cover of night. Completion of strategic fleets also meant large industrial capacity was available, so other – less political – branches of army started to be improved. General Vrabec finally received a green light for escort fighters for his tactical fleets and General Syrový 1st Army was to receive its proper support aircrafts. Building of fighter force was still continuing and Avia B.534 became one of the most numerous airplanes in whole Europe.

Even the regular army received some attention. But despite general Vojcechovský insistence on having at least one corps of motorized infantry divisions, the government decided only to form additional infantry divisions with strong artillery detachments. These units were relatively cheap to arm, but according to Vojcechovský, army could not hope to win the war fighting the war of attrition. The only mobile corps of the army was Lt. Beneš’s Mobile Corps consisting of three quick divisions – cavalry with attached light armor.

11eo3.jpg

ppETm.jpg
baeA1.jpg

“Tell me, generals, what exactly would be the course of the Staff in case Austria is attacked?” asked president Beneš three members of the Staff he invited the his office this afternoon.
“You see, Mr. President, while our army gained certain power in last years, going to war alone would still be unwise.  Germany would probably back their invasion with claims about reunification and almost no politician in Europe would call this a valid casus belli. We would be left alone. We simply cannot risk that.”
“So you are saying that we are just going to sit and do nothing? The Austrians needs us. We are their only hope against the nazi plague. We cannot just ignore it.”
“It is the only thing we can do. Unless we want to take on Germans all by ourselves.”
“Can we afford to let Germany annex Austria? I mean, this would enlarge the border with Germany about another, say 200 kilometers.  Southern Moravia is not protected by mountains and they can even attack Bratislava from eastern Austria.“
“The actual change would not be that dramatic, Mr. President. In any case, the largest part of our forces will be deployed there. I would even say it would be unwise from the Germans to attack from Austria. Few successful air raids on railway system in Austria, especially in Linz, would make supplying units located in Austria very difficult. I think they will use Austria only like a threat, but the actual attack would be led from Germany. We are even thinking of small offensive into Austria – if the Austria is to be annexed – to set up the whole length of our defensive lines on Thaya river.”
“But our situation will be worse?”
“No point in denying it.”
“That’s bad. Our intelligence is reporting concentration of German infantry at the borders with Austria. We think it is coming.”

Three days later the newspapers all around the world putted Anschluss to their main page headlines. The shift in strategic balance in Europe was apparent. Germany gained border with two of its possible future allies – Italy and Hungary. Yet, no actions by western countries were taken. Although Versailles was prohibiting any kind of alliance or unification, western powers took the neutral stance and didn’t dare to interfere. Czechoslovakian army was considering mobilization, air crews at the ready. But the real challenge was yet to come.

luoSu.jpg

Three months ago, the doctrine of immediate retaliation was adopted. At any time, day or night, several groups of Czechoslovak bombers were airborne, all loaded with incendiary ordnance. Planes ready to head towards their targets once the war break out. The Germans were aware of such measures – in fact they have been informed by Czechoslovak ambassador in Berlin himself – and Czech intelligence succeeded in persuading Germans that these bombers carry twice the payload they really were. Luftwaffe was well aware of possible targets of attack, but had not enough fighters to cover them all. The whole concept of fear seemed to work. Or at least everyone thought so.

PbHC5.jpg
vXCFq.jpg

One hour after Czech military intelligence received information about German troops entering Austria (1st march 1938, 2100), a lone car departed into the Prague. Racing through the deserted streets of Prague, it quickly arrived at Kbely airport. It was carrying only a single man – an officer with a leather briefcase.

“Orders came from the Staff. As a reaction to occupation of Austria, Staff decided to declare yellow alert level.  Here are exact orders,” said the officer while handing the folder to the commander-in-chief of the airbase. General Koruna, the commander of 1st Strategic Fleet, immediately read the papers. His face changed. It was obvious that he is taking whole thing seriously. He passed the papers to one of the female radio operators and instructed her to transmit them to the crews.

Radio operator in the aircraft of colonel Čermák, captain of the leading MB.200 of 6th Group consisting of 12 planes, opened the channel and listened to the orders.

“All planes, all planes, all planes, this is the command. Repeating, to all planes, this is the command. Yellow alert, yellow alert, yellow alert. All groups will head towards their fail-safe points and await further orders. Repeating, all groups will head towards their respective fail-safe points and await further orders. Command over and out.”

Twelve heavy twin engine bombers started to do long turn then proceeded to gain altitude. Roaring engines were echoing through the night. Crews switched off the position lights and gunners fired off testing bursts out of their 7.7mm machine guns.

“Altitude: 3500. Put on your oxygen masks.”
“Have you ever reached fail-safe point, skipper?”
“Twice. They sometimes call yellow alert when ground watches got scared by something. Last time they managed to identify a lone German He-111 bomber heading towards Prague. We were waiting above Most for several minutes. With Dresden practically in sight and bomb bay full of fire stuff. At the end it turned out the He-111 was just Ju-52 airliner heading to Munich from Berlin that lost its way due to compass malfunction.”
“Uh-huh.”
“Skipper to navigator, estimated time to fail-safe?”
“ETA: 3 minutes.”
“Thanks, Jakub.”

Formation of bombers was now practically only 40 kilometers from the state border. At the altitude of 5500m with darkened out windows they were practically invisible. Robust MB.200s formed themselves into a column and started to do 360° turns. The crews were now waiting for the confirmation of the attack order which was to be received by the on board telegraph. The red control above telegraph started to blink. The paper tape emerged from the telegraph with only six letter on it. CAP811.

“Permission the check the codes?” asked the copilot.
“Permission granted,” answered colonel Čermák.

Copilot opened the red labeled paper envelope he had hidden in his flight suit. He took the sheet of paper from the envelope and looked at six large letters on it.

“Positive, sir,” said the copilot. Čermák opened his red labeled envelope, looked at the six letters he had there, then at the ones of the copilot. They both looked into each other´s eyes. The second seemed like eternity.
“Skipper to navigator, Jakub, could you bring us the folder with orders?”

After brief moment navigator appeared in the cockpit of MB.200 with big paper folder. Captain searched it and took the brown-labeled envelope with rather big TOP SECRET written all over it. He broke the seal and looked at the message inside. It said just one word written by big black letters: BERLIN.

“Orders have been confirmed, the war has started. Our target for today is Berlin. Bearing: 010, climbing to 5000.”

Formation of bombers broke their flying in circles and formed a box formation with large distances between planes to prevent the collision. Airspeed dropped to some 190 km/h as planes were desperately trying to gain altitude before entering German airspace.
Meanwhile at the Kbely airport, groups of bombers were returning from their little trip to fail-safe points. Vrabec was watching them from the tower. The last plane from 8th group just touched the border of concrete runway, every other plane was either taxying or already under maintenance works inside the hangars.

“Has anyone seen or heard from group six?” asked general Vrabec the radio personal in the war room.
“No sir, we haven’t since their conformation of proceeding towards fail-safe,” said one of the radio operators in the room.
“Try to contact them.”
“They are probably beyond the reach of our radios. Their fail-safe point was beyond radio range.”
“How did they receive their return orders?”
“By wireless telegraph.”
“Can we adjust the range of the radio?”
“We have the emergence long range radio. We could try it.”
“Then do so. Also, what was the latest order passed to them.”
“Well, the return order.”
“Bring me the cypher sheet.”

After brief moment general was given envelope with three paper sheets. He took them off and start to examine them. The first one had two lines written on it. PRIMARY TARGET: BERLIN. CAP811. General put the paper back into envelope and looked at the second one. Two lines now said: SECONDARY TARGET: COTTBUS. ASE947. He didn’t move a muscle on his face and started to read the third one: MISSION ABORT, RETURNING TO BASE. CAP811.

“Is this some stupid joke!? Bring me second copy of the orders!” shouted Koruna at the soldier who brought him the first envelope. Soldier dashed away and in few seconds was back. Koruna searched for two papers he was interested in. PRIMARY TARGET: BERLIN. CAP811. and MISSION ABORT, RETURNING TO BASE. CAP811. were on the papers as clear as on the first set.
“How is that possible? Who writes the code for the orders?!”
“Well, they are generated by the computer sir. The one Americans sold us.”
“Is it by any chance, lieutenant, possible that computer could generate two exactly same codes.”
“No sir. The chance would be so small that we couldn’t even write them on the paper, sir.”
“I asked whether it is possible!”
“Well, yes sir. It is possible. Not probable though.”
“In what order are the crews opening their orders?!”
“They go from the highest priority to the lowest. Primary target envelope comes first, then secondary and so on.”
“Oh god!”
“Can we telegraph them?”
“Fail-safe points are near the border of our telegraphy range. If they headed for Germany once the return order was given, they are well beyond telegraph range by now.”
“Is the long range radio ready?”
“In a second sir.”

Colonel Čermák looked at the altimeter which was now showing 5000 meters above the sea level. He was slightly disappointed by the lack of anti-aircraft fire. He was imagining this mission many times. Heroic infiltration to the heart of the Reich,  plane going through multiple AA barrages to finally drop its payload. Now the sky was as silent as ever.

“Group 6, group 6, group 6, this is Command. Group 6, this is command. Do you read me?” said suddenly the voice from radio.
“…”
“Group 6-One, do you read me?.”
“Command, this is Group 6-One, we are not permitted to receive any messages unless it is done by the coded orders via telegraph.”
“Group 6-One, order all planes back!”
“…”
“This is general Koruna speaking, colonel, turn the formation back at once!”
“I am not permitted to receive any tactical alterations by voice.”
“Čermák, call the planes back!”

Colonel Čermák closed the channel and the voice from the radio went silent. MB.200s were now near their max speed, reaching 260 km/h and quickly closing to the Berlin. Koruna and his advisors were helpless. They couldn’t send the fighters after the bombers, for Avia B.534s were not equipped for flight at night. Letov S.328s were, but their low speed would prevent them from reaching the bombers anyway. Koruna looked around the war room and closed his eyes.

“Give me the president of the Republic.”

President Beneš listened to the whole story of general Koruna. He was on the brink of starting general mobilization, for this series of unfortunate events would surely end in war. Before that however, he was determined to try one last solution. He reached for the telephone and called the ambassador in Berlin, Dr. Vojtěch Mastný.

“Mr. Ambassador, I am sorry for calling in this late hour. I have one wish that may sound crazy, because it indeed is crazy. Would you be able to get me in contact with the command of Luftwaffe.”
“Luftwaffe? I could try, Mr. President. Hold on.”

Mastný was calling various offices for approximately 15 minutes. Abwehr had to be quite confused, he thought. He had no doubts that all telephone line to Czechoslovakian embassy were wiretapped. He however – to his big surprise – ultimately succeeded and got the commander in-chief of the Luftwaffe on the line with president Beneš.

“Good day to you, Mr. President,” said the deep voice in the telephone.
“And to you too, Mr. Göring,” answered president Beneš. “I have a thing to tell you. There was a great, great mistake.”
“Does it have anything to do with those unidentified planes heading towards Cottbus?”
“Well, yes. As I said, there have been a terrible, terrible mistake.”
“What are those planes?”
“Our MB.200 bombers.”
“Where are they going?”
“Berlin.”
“Have you or anyone in your Staff ordered this attack?”
“No.”
“Do you have planes piloted by crazy men then?”
“I said it was a mistake! We had a problem with one of the new American computing units, bombers were given an attack order by accident. All I can tell you is that this is not provocation of war. They are not part of general air offensive.”
“I guess you cannot call them back.”
“That is correct, Mr. Göring.”
“Our fighter planes are already searching for them. We will shoot them down.”
“I hope you will succeed.”
“Anything other you wish to say, Mr. President?”
“If you wish, I could put you through to general Koruna, he could assist you in finding these bombers.”
“I know how to defend my own airspace, Mr. President. Thank you.”

The sky above Germany finally ceased to be cloudy some 100 kilometers from Berlin. The clear sky revealed the condensation lines behind the Czechoslovak bombers. And along with them smaller white lines zigzagging the sky above and below them. Suddenly two of these lines turned towards the bombers. Coming from higher altitude, two Bf-109Bs flew directly through formation with their guns blazing. Bomber gunners were so surprised they didn’t fire a single shot. Second engine of the bomber on the most right position of the formation stopped and yellow flames appeared. The bomber started to lose altitude, leaving rest of his group above it. 

messerschmitt-bf-109-b-fighter-1.jpg

“Group 6-Eleven going down. We´re bailing out. Setting up auto destruction device.”
“Group 6, this is Group 6-One. Break the formation. They cannot follow us all.”

Slow bombers broke their box. Some of them descended to lower altitudes to gain some speed and lose the condensation lines giving away their positions. In 10 minutes the sky was crowded with Messerschmitts. Čermák led his plane at altitude of only 500 meters. Still no anti-aircraft fire. Bombers were desperately trying to fight off the fighters, but in 20 minutes only 5 MB.200s were still intact. The squadron reported 3 damaged fighters. Čermák´s plane got lightly damaged by passing Messerschmitt, but bullets didn’t hit anything of importance and plane was still flying.

“How is your luck with the bombers?” said president Beneš once he got Göring on the line again.
“Luck? Not that much luck so far.”
“We managed to shot down 7 of your planes.”
“What about the remaining five?”
“Our fighters lost visual contact with two of them. Three are still being attacked.”
“How big is the chance to get them all before they reach the Berlin?”
“Not big. Some of them are flying just above the ground. Our fighters cannot see them and our ground anti-aircraft measures were not activated yet. We are not ready to go to war now. AA is not even instructed of the threat. We do not wish the war.”
“We neither. I want to say that Czechoslovakia is ready to take full responsibility for the attack. However it was one sad mistake. We are ready to talk openly about the incident in Geneva.”
“Our political leadership will decide about it later. You have given us quite a thing, Mr. President.”
“Yes, you could see it that way.”
“Goodbye, Mr. President.”
“Goodbye, Mr. Göring.”

Colonel Čermák stabilized the airplane and decreased the speed to 180km/h. The fully lighted city was right in below the plane. Sound of hand crank appeared and the bomb bay doors opened.

“Keep the altitude. Six to port. Five to port. Three to port. Would you mind keeping the course, skipper? Target in sight. Reaching target in 30 seconds. 20 seconds. 10 seconds. 5,4,3,2,1…bombs away.”

Bomber slowly turned back and headed for Czechoslovakia. Wind brought heavy clouds above central Germany and the plane flew comfortably hidden just beneath them. President Beneš got the call from ambassador Mastný in Berlin. The Berlin had been hit.

“So it begins,” said president Beneš to himself. He was really hoping that Germany won´t press the war due to the incident, especially after the fiasco Wehrmacht experienced in Austria, but he was sure Hitler would seek some political profit from the whole thing. He was absolutely sure.

QH6Hh.jpg

The next day all the newspapers around the world had the same headline on the front page.

SECOND FIRE OF REICHSTAG. GERMAN GOVERNMENT BLAMES JEWISH ANARCHOCOMMUNISTS.

Yay! But I am really interested at what the soldiers in Armored Troops pic are firing. And I still stands by the antenna on LT vz.35 (or Pz.35(t) for racists...) is the most epic thing ever. That goddamn thing looks like RC model.

As for historical fiction, something I used in one of my stories three years ago.:

142582.jpg

:grin:

Part 4 - Path to Munich. (March 1938 - May 193:cool:

“God! What are they so afraid of? It seems we have somehow overestimated loyalty of our Germans, Mr. Hodza,” said president Beneš to the prime minister and passed him newspapers. Christian democrats merged with Sudetendeutschepartai, the title was saying.
“No one can really blame them, not after what had happened in Austria. The sad thing is that no one believes we can survive the storm anymore,” answered Milan Hodza, prime minister of Slovakian ethnicity.
“Forgive me for saying so, but we really need this war. The sooner it comes, the better.”
“I understand.”

Czechoslovakia was heading towards the war, maybe even faster than its officials would ever want to. For a few weeks already, German equipment together with instructors, often from Waffen SS, was flowing into the republic to the German population sympathizing with Nazi viewpoints of their neighbors in the Third Reich. Czechoslovakian patriots weren’t helping the situation either – clashes between German and Czech students became more and more common, German children were often attacked by their Czech counterparts in cities with Czechoslovak majority, and vice versa.

The experiment with multinational army in all branches was considered failed and German soldiers were transferred to branches where they had very little chance of desertion or undermining the war effort – mainly artillery corps, logistical units, mechanics in the air force or engineer corps, or transferred to guard duties on the borders with Poland, Romania or Hungary. Of course their units were led by Czechoslovak officers. It was hard to do a career in the army as a German in those days.

Although the president was wishing for something different, army was preparing for a war coming in the latter part of 1939. Now, in May 1938, ground forces were ready and awaiting only minor changes, such as exchange of old Great wars Schwarzlose HMGs for TK vz.37 HMGs, now only used in tanks and some of the forts. However, the air force was still fighting with lack of strategic bombers and desperate lack of escort fighters, so needed to allow tactical air force to work during the day. As far as fighter force went, generals were confident, as Czechoslovakia possessed the strongest fighter fleet in Europe, USSR excluded. All the fighters so far were Avia B.534s biplanes, but for the coming conflict they were more than match for even the most modern fighter planes Germany possessed.

The biggest question of all was efficiency of high altitude strategic bombing, key part of Czechoslovakian doctrine. The original idea of annihilating civilian population was soon dropped, mainly because its possible unpopularity among other nations and secondly because Czechoslovak industry could not produce them in sufficient numbers. The concept was reworked and the role of Strategic fleet in early phases of conflict was destroying of airfields, thus effectively knocking enemy air force out, then proceeding to logistical strikes, and then – after quick movement of enemy ground forces was prevented – finally target industrial zones, harbors and cities. Ground forces were supposed to dig in and attack only with full assistance of CAS and Tactical air force, against enemy who is lacking supplies and unable to move because of destroyed road system.

0c6j-.jpg
iapak.jpg

As stupid as it sounds, it was worth trying.

As for organization of Czechoslovak defense in May of 1938:

Army consisted of 40 divisions, mainly infantry, with some mountain brigades. No armor divisions or motorized infantry brigades were formed.

Three cavalry brigades with strong armor attachments were forming Lt. Benes’s Mobile Corps, the elite unit tasked with plugging any possible hole in the frontline.

Borders were initially defended by Hranicni pasmo I – IV, each consisting of 2 mountain brigades and one infantry divisions, with additional artillery and AA brigades. In finished fortresses, these units were expected to last at least a week against determined and well led attacks of Germany.

gQBGJ.jpg

Other units were placed in the inferior, ready to be deployed wherever they may be needed.

In case of German incompetency or surprise, 1st Army “Brno” of general Syrový, counting 10 divisions, and 4th Army of general Vojcechovsky, counting 4 divisions, was tasked with offensive against Austria, seizing Freistadt and Hollabrun, reaching Danube river and using it to strengthen defense against further attacks from Austria.

Air force was consisting of 36 wings – 16 fighter wings, 8 tactical bombing wings, 8 strategic bombing wings and 4 newly formed CAS wings, organized into CAS fleet tasked with support of 1st Army.

Amount of supplies available was rather small as well as manpower pool.

1wi8E.jpg
s5unx.jpg
P0jNj.jpg
q5rY7.jpg
GKfLz.jpg
xwdMD.jpg

“Heim ins Reich! Heim ins Reich!” shouted the crowd on the street as it was making its way to the city hall. Local police force was trying to stop the mass, but all attempts were futile. Police captain was now looking through a window at the assembly on the city plaza. It was 20 minutes since he sent a letter to the officer in task of fortresses nearby, asking for a machine gun company to protect the town hall if needed.

tn3uk.jpg
f7SSc.jpg

The mass of people was listening to the speaker preaching about the return to the fatherland, not noticing two green trucks that arrived. The officer got out of the truck, observed the situation and sent half of his men into the town hall. Soon, two Schwarzlose water-cooled HMGs were set in the windowns, overlooking the plaza.

“Citizens! This demonstration was not allowed by town authorities! Dismiss and return to your homes!” shouted the police captain at the crowd.
“What right do you have to command us like this? This is our town! This is our country! Why is it just to have only you get the country? How can you keep three millions of us in this artificial prison?” replied the spokesman of the German assembly.
“Go back to your homes or you will all be arrested!”
“This is OUR land!”
shouted the spokesman and the crowd started moving towards the town hall in a slow pace.

“Lieutenant, fire few warning shots in the ground in front of them. The crowd must be stopped,” said the police captain to the soldier.

Soldier aimed the MG a few meters in front of the mass and fired a burst. The crowd stopped as the bullets hit the ground. However, in a second the plaza was filled with cries, shouting and swearing. People were running away, frightened. Why were they – the übermensch and heroic Nazi vanguard – so scared of a few warning shots? The policemen and soldiers didn’t know just yet.
The plaza emptied and now it was completely empty, no signs of the crowd anywhere at all. Except for eight people lying on the cobblestones, and the bloodied ground. Soldiers just looked at each other, all of them knew what happened. And the mayor knew that no German citizen anywhere in the republic would believe the story about inexperienced machine gunner and the shots ricocheting off the cobblestones into the crowd.

The radios and newspapers all over the world next day had just one topic – German chancellor Adolf Hitler and his declaration of intention to protect all his from the oppression of barbaric and communist Czechoslovak government that – wrongly – thinks it can do anything in its country.

Francobritish alliance declared the need to investigate the situation and set diplomatic mission lead by lord Runciman to find the best possible solution.

Divisions of Wehrmacht were moved closer to Czechoslovak borders.

Lord Runciman writes back to London that although the incapability to find a solution and to lead a constructive dialogue between Czechoslovak government and Sudeten Germans lies on the Germans, only possible solution to the crisis is seceding the territory to the Germany.

Francobritish staffs declare that their countries are not ready for war.

Czechoslovakia enacts general mobilization, its military reaches 1.250.000 men.

Germany protests against mobilization.

Skirmishes have broken out in the borderline areas between Czechoslovakian army and Sudeten terrorists. Until the start of war, more than 400 soldiers and policemen would die in the conflict, number of dead Sudeten Germans would be unknown.

Martial law declared in Sudetenland.

Soviet union declares itself to be ready to assist Czechoslovakia, although there is no way to get its units or materiel into the republic, as nor Poland nor Romania will allow transfers through theirs territory.

Britain and France encourages Czechoslovakia to continue mobilization.

Czechoslovakia ready for war.

Neville Chamberlain rushes to Godesberg in a last attempt to secure peace in Europe.

Conditions are presented to Czechoslovak government, seceding last parts of its territory to Germany.

Czechoslovak government requests time to go through all conditions.

Czechoslovakia agrees, as she is likely to be declared aggressor in case of war.

Hitler changes the conditions.

Britain and France ready to back up Czechoslovakia.

Foreign volunteers, mainly from Yugoslavia, Romania, France and South African Republic (honestly, this is the biggest mystery of the 20th century) are ready to help Czechoslovakia in coming conflict.

Airplanes at the ready, army on its positions.

rERox.jpg
7TKhp.jpg
yp7Jr.jpg

“How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far-away country between people of whom we know nothing. It seems still more impossible that a quarrel which has already been settled in principle should be the subject of war.”

Chamberlain yet again to save the peace.

Fate of Czechoslovakia is to be decided by Edouard Daladier, prime minister of France, Neville Chamberlain, prime minister of Great Britain, Adolf Hitler, chancellor of Germany and Benito Mussolini, leader of Italy.

Czech ambassador is not present at the meeting.

Czechoslovakia is to give Sudetenland to the Germany, Teschen to the Poland and southern Slovakia to Hungary.

If the conditions are not accepted during 12 hours, war is imminent, with Czechoslovakia as the reason for this war, this France and Britain feel no need to honor the alliance.

ebfRr.jpg
lO2U-.jpg

rKRA6.jpg

“Mr. President,” said Syrovy and looked at the group of generals behind him. “The army is ready to defend the republic.”
“It is quite difficult choice, gentlemen. Trust me; you wouldn’t want to be in my place.”
“It is your duty to defend the republic!”
said Syrovy angrily.
“I suppose you are right,” said Beneš.
“It is our liberty! We fought, you fought countless of years for this.”
“Oh, dear brothers, I always wanted to do this,”
said president, opened the window and the cold air of Prague night filled the room.

President leaned out of the window, looked at the city and cried as loud as he could: “Havoc!”

A bit offtopic, but have you read the "War that Came Early" series by Harry Turtledove? It involves Nazi Germany invading Czechosloviakia after Neville Chamberlain fails to appease Germany at Munich.

DoctorPainkiller said:
A bit offtopic, but have you read the "War that Came Early" series by Harry Turtledove? It involves Nazi Germany invading Czechosloviakia after Neville Chamberlain fails to appease Germany at Munich.
It's a **** book by a mediocre author filled with insulting stereotypes, gross generalisations and pub-quiz level understanding of WW2. Don't recommend it to anyone.

As for the story itself, keep it up! Now I'm tempted to write an AAR for HoI3.

Eh, I haven't read it myself just saw it and thought it looked interesting. I read one of his books before, where aliens invade earth in the middle of WWII, and it was good just because the setting was so ridiculous.

World War is also a **** book with far too many deus ex machinas, like, everywhere and badly written sex everywhere and incredibly inept description of tank battles, sprinkled with the same stereotypes and generalisations. Turtledove is an inept hack and I'm certain that the only reason why he is semi-popular is that no-one else is apparently writing in that niche.

Jhessail said:
badly written sex everywhere

Yea, the sex scenes were pretty bad, some of them were just awkward. I don't know, I still found the book entertaining just because the premise was so funny.

Jhessail said:
It's a **** book by a mediocre author filled with insulting stereotypes, gross generalisations and pub-quiz level understanding of WW2. Don't recommend it to anyone.

Wow, now I am more and more intrigued.

You see, there is a guy (Czech) who wrote three thick books about possible conflict, and while the pre-war stuff is somewhat okay-ish, once the guns start to fire, it turns from okay to ridiculously bad. Biplanes dive bombing and massacring Pz.IIs, Stormtrooper trope Germans, absolutely over the top villains (mainly communists). Then just wait till the Czechoslovakia (obviously) wins and capture Vienna. Post-war stuff is so bad it makes it one of the funniest books ever written. Especially guided missiles and jet fighters in 43 (Czechoslovak, of course), along with good guy Otto Skorzeny stealing T-34 in a way that would pout 007 into shame.

About war that came early - I laughed at the Czech guy shooting Franko with AT rifle, that was mentioned in the wiki article. It promises even better situations.

Back
Top Bottom