Blade polishing thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
Crosspost because of lack of specific thread.
Teofish said:
Didn't really know whether to put it here or the blade polishing thread since we don't really have one for archery. But here it goes. She's the pride of my collection of ranged weapons. And her name is Skadi, from the Norse goddess of the hunt. 60lb draw composite recurve horsebow. Though admittedly a rather large specimen as such.

R7x1q.jpg

Beautiful man. Where did you acquire such a fine weapon? I've been in the market for a composite recurve for a while now.

I've always thought that the Flammenschwert, Flamberge, Zweihänder and the likes were extremely cool and useful for slicing down enemies one at a time with an immensive force. Turns out it's not.

What?! But Lindybeige is a living apostle!  :mad:

:razz: I know, I just thought it was used as a more close combat weapon.

Anyone here knowledgeable about WW2, or possibly immediate post-war era British knives? I found this one amongst some assorted crap after my grandpa. And it's marked with "William Rodgers. I cut my way" on the blade by the haft. I know that was the company who made the famous Fairbairn Sykes Commando daggers. But this model is completely unknown to me, and I'd like to know more about it. It definitely looks like it was made for combat rather than civilian use.

QfwsC.jpg

I had the same model when I was a kid - it was made out of plastic, though. It came from some plastic police/rambo kit with a fully functional handcuff and a gun. I thought first that it had shurikens too, but I remembered that those came with the plastic ninja set, along with a kama and a nunchaku.

Guessed so, on the account of it visibly not being made of plastic.

Edit: also it's nice to see that this fat hilt style actually exists, and wasn't born in a toymaker's fantasy like I thought 'til now.

Do you know if the hilt was added later in a pre-existing blade? Also, the blade really reminds me of a more modern Dartmoor Survival knife, which is made by the same company(Wilkinson Swords). Maybe an older revision of the model?

Hilt seems original. Though the sheath is clearly homemade. Did some googling around in different knife forums, and it might be a type of survival/combat knife often dropped by the British along with sten guns and the like in caches for resistance fighters. Keeeewwwlll!

Indeed. Especially since I know my grandda was fairly active in the resistance.

Also:
Bromden said:
Guessed so, on the account of it visibly not being made of plastic.
Yeah, forgot to put a slobberface in there so now it just looks defensive and *****y. :lol:

So, I bought two tomahawks.

20170116_212414_zpsrp3i8koo.jpg

20170116_212342_zpsm9zlehxg.jpg

They're both from CRKT. The first one is in its original fit and finish, the second one had the same handle finish and the head was painted just like the first one. I decided I didn't like the look of the painted metal and clear coat finished handle.

So I removed all the paint from the head with an angle grinder with a wire wheel attachment, sanded it down to smooth out the scratches, and then blued the head by soaking it in apple cider vinegar. The bluing looks more like a patina, and I think it looks good. I sanded down the handle, burned in the designs on the bottom, and then treated the wood with boiled linseed oil and Cherrywood stain.

Both tomahawks have hickory handles and hammer forged 1055 steel.

Back
Top Bottom