I'm at war with every faction

Users who are viewing this thread

Herbiazors said:
I take lords prisoners when they insult me

pretty much sums it up
or those bastards that won't stop raiding your village even though you have beaten them multiple times previously

Let me tell you why I have killed the lords, in the form of a long story. So you guys will stop posting comments such as "Just take them prisoner. That's same thing".

There may be some language errors, that's because I'm possibly a bit tired and English is not my main language. So here it goes:

Story Of Brytenwalda

It all started in the in the city of Ulaid. I, The man known as Brytenwalda, pledged allegience to Cystennin map Riderch Hael the throne claimer of Alt Clut. He was a fine and unexperienced man, but a noble who has the right to rule and I was the bravest man in all Britannia and Hibernia. The mightiest, the strongest and the greatest. We, together, could unite the Britannia and Hibernia under one banner and rule it's people justly. We believed in this dream this day, yet there was one obstacle first. We had to claim the throne of Alt Clut first. Thus, our journey begin.

We crossed the sea with my ship. Negotiations with Alt Clut nobles, were disappointingly bad. None of them wishes to join our cause as it seems, they're all cowards I say. They all tried to attack me after the talking part is over. They must be thinking they got me cornered, just because they had more men. What a foolish act. They all tasted my Hrunting. Nevertheless, they were luckier than Grendel and his mother as it seems. They all just got wounded and fainted because of fear to die. As a man of honor, I did not captured them. I told them they have fought well, and are free to go. You can not believe what they have said. They said that I am just playing with them, and offending them. After the moment I saw this, I did not relase them immediately but after dragging them around as prisoners for one or two days. And when I say them they are free to go, their eyes shine like they've found immeasurable treasure.

As Days passed days and weeks chased after weeks, it has been two months since we have decided to take the throne of Alt Clut, yet very little progress we made so far. In fact, no progress we made so far. We were just roaming within the realms as we are big a band of non-hostile brigands. Cystennin map Riderch Hael was the one who has the lesser morale than others. He was talking less than others and refusing to eat something for three days and I was beginning to feel like him as well. And all of a sudden, it happened! An opportunity, like none we've ever seen! One of my spies had reported that the Lord of Eoferwic has left his city with a big range of troops to join the marshall in the field, leaving only 100 men behind to protect the city. It was our chance that we were only two days away from Eoferwic. I immedeatly ordered my men to break the camp, and begin to march in an hour.

Finally the city of Eoferwic came into our sight. A fine loooking city in the horizon! When we came close enough to prepare for our frontal assoult, I gathered some important names. Cystennin map Riderch Hael, Athrwys ap Gwawrddur, Eadfrith and Orosio were all waiting for me in the commander tent and as it appears they had begun discussing their siege plans. Apart from others discussing, Orosio was drawing the plans of siege constructions. After I fired an engineer that I do not what his name was, I ordered Orosio to study engineering besides his medical expertise. As the possibly most intelligent man I've ever seen, he did not fail me. I don't understand what is his level of skills exactly as I don't have any knowledge in the arts of engineering, but he appears to be as good as other engineers. I believe, he will be known as one of the most influentual polymaths of this era. I am lucky to have such a skilled fellow, though I agree with Gwarddur. We don't need any high tier engineer constructions for this siege. The walls are not so high and out of reach for ladders. Besides we need to act as quick as we can, and high siege constructions will delay us. So, I told Orosio that I appreciate his effort on his work, but I gathered everyone to discuss our battle strategy only. Cystennin map Riderch Hael suggested "We should make a misleading attack to cover our main attack. I suggest sending 20 men to the backdoor and when the enemy is distracted we will send our main force to take the city!", but Gwarddur replied with "I disagree their numbers are greater than us. Therefore seperating men wouldn't do us good especially. We should use ranged combat for distraction.". But none of them were straight in a funny way as Eadfrith said "Why don't we just attack from front and crush them like bug?". I said that I agree with Eadfrith. There was no need for a complex strategy. We were mainly of heavy-mid infantry and our enemies was mostly of light infantry, skirmishers and possibly some light cavalry. Gwarddur and Hael seem a bit disappointing, but they did not object.

As the commander, I ordered our assault to begin. Brian as their teacher was going with the other men to fight in fronts, to encourage them a bit more and protect his comrades with his large shield. Osmund was also going to join the first attack and decimate the ranks of enemy with his spear. So it happened, our men easily captured the enemy walls. After I joined the battle a bit lately, my sight crushed the hope of defenders and we won the battle easily with only a few losses even the fact that we are only 87 against their 100 at the beginning.

As a gift for my victory, Hael granted me the city of Eoferwic and all 4 surrounding villages. I organized a feast for my men, a mere gift that they deserved long ago already. After the celebrations, I did things that every lord does, hired some staff members for management and left all the work to them. What I was focusing on was battles and negotiations. I thought the nobles would see me more of a power, but they did not. Even when they agreed what I have said, and are unhappy withing the king's rule; they said they wouldn't want to be named as a traitor. So it came to blows, and another fool has fallen at my hands only to be released a few days later.

It seems I was wrong to think, that fortune smiles upon one completely. I don't know if I angered any old gods or the christ but what have been given to me, has been taken away after a while. When my men succesfully cleansed another group of bandits who was roaming in my lands, we've gotten quite a good quality loot from the corpses. After we burn the corpses to prevent a possible disease in the lands, one of my scouts have reported a caravan was nearby. I thought that trading selling my loot to them, could be a good idea to improve our relations with other factions and avoiding to carry all the stuff back to the city. But as it appears when me and my men tried to get near them, we have suddenly been ambushed.

I did not know, if they have see me as an enemy or this was an assasinating plan they did not live long enough to tell. But from the look of the loot my men have found, they were a real caravan. In fact, it is a caravan of Rheged. I can say, that no matter how this happened here a war will be near with them. As we have reached the city, the first thing I was going to do was to write a message to send to Rheged lords. However my chancellor gave me a letter before than that which will turn my effort to be in vain; a decleration of war!

When it became night, I could not sleep. While watching my lands from the highest point of view, a man came near to me. He said that an Alt Clut noble has crossed our borders and marching to one of our villages. I immedeatly ordered him to inform the marshall, to gather our troops. Sooner, we departed.

While we are marching quickly to the north, but not knowing exactly what will our destination be; one of my marchoc I sent as scouts have returned to answer this question. He reported that the enemy lord is looting the village of Scythles.

When we arrived at the village, I looked for the noble in an attempt to learn who is this honorless bastard that is raiding innocent villagers. And there he was! I recognized him as I see him, Tiern Dingat map Nudd, one of the Alt Clut nobles I have bested and released afterwards. He even dared to cross my borders and raid one of my villages only with 59 men! Not surprisingly, he did not seem happy to be seeing me. There occured a battle between unequal forces and my troops achieved victory very easily. This time, I decided to not release him. It was a rousing battle for my men as it appears, so I decided to give a feast for them. As possibly our last happy moment in Eoferwic, I believe they have deserved it. Funny that that's what I thought when we have entered the city and now it happens again when we are about to leave the city.

That rousing battle and the feast relieved my stress and eased my concerns. I know it's foolish but it did, and there was no point of banishing this feeling away. Too bad, the judgement day came even earlier than I though. After I have a half-night rest, I have awakened by the same man who come into my chamber and told me that King Rhoed laid siege to the city. Even so I dressed up and get out to see what kind of army are we going to face. Orosio was there, at the top of the tower already and was staring at the enemy army. He said "800 men, there are more than 800 men as I count. Even Archimedes could not stop such an army.". I did know who or what is Archimedes, but I understood what he wanted to say. There is no extraordinary man in this earth to stop that enemy in these conditions.

I gathered all the money in the treasury, all the men in garrison, I simply gathered everything I can take with me, including that basterd; Tiern Dingat map Nudd. I did not want this damned city to be our graves so I took the only path to our escape, I left the city and went directly to the sieging army. King Rhoed, the king of Rheged meeted us. From the moment I saw him, I hated him. I hated him more than the stupid Alt Clut nobles. He simply scorned a hero such as me with every in his every behaviour. When I looked at his eyes, I saw the glitter of easy victory in his eyes. We both knew that he's gotten me cornered. No man, can defy against such odds. Yes, I would win easily if there was only him and me; but there were others as well. And he knew it! I could see the smile on his face that he is not even trying to hide away. Basterd! So he begin to talk after this moment. He greeted me like we are in a normal meeting. And when I say that the caravan was not my fault, he stated that he doesn't even know what I'm talking about. He instead, keep saying something about a horn of a man in his family who insulted him. So I asked what is this family about. Then he said that his family is of noble blood that I can't even hope to dream of, or that kind of nonsense that I did not pay attention at all. I ended the conversation, and as it appears he will be just letting us go out of the city without any payment or penalty, as if I don't even own the castle. One thing, you can be sure of that king Rhoed; one day I will capture you alive, and make you watch while I conquer all of Britannia and Hibernnia. You supercilious bastard! I swear!

As we get far enough from the siege, I turned back and stared back to the city. What this city evokes for me was failure, and I believe it will remain as such for me. Failure and anger, anger that I am within it's grasp... I was angry, I wanted someone to pay! So I looked at my prisoner, from to look of his face he was probably thinking he will be released soon. I moved close to him and gripped his neck without saying any word. His face expression turned shocked from relieved at first. Later it became worried, desperate and lastly empty. I have killed Nudd with my bare hands, as if he was the one responsible for all these. Yet, actually he and his fellow nobles was the ones who are responsible. They just couldn't see a great opportunity and refused to join me, therefore Kin Rhoed saw me as a weak target and triumphed over my so called army.

We just returned to roaming lands without a goal as we were doing earlier before conquering Eoferwic. I have understood that the honor is not the way to go, to achieve greater power. Money, Men, influence I needed all kinds of source of power and I needed them quick. I began to see opportunities. One of my scouts reported that there were caravans from Rheged and Alt Clut. Two plotters at one time, what a coincidence. I ordered my men to prepare for an ambush.

After we have succesfully killing all of the caravan defenders, we began to loot what we have found. To say simply, the loot was amazing. Together with the prisoners we captured, the scilingas I earned was worth two weeks of wages that I pay to my men. Even after, I decided to burn the corpses. I may have fallen a little, but not that much. What a foolish act. As a repayment for my honorable acts, our party has been charged by Tiarna Faelchu mac Airmetach with an army at least two times of our size. Besides my men was surely tired after the last two battles, and I was suffering an injury with my leg. This was a surprise attack. We were simply forced to fight, without any negotiations at the beginning. Too bad for them, my men was too experienced and we stand triumphant. The enemy lord has been captured again, but this time I was having different plans for him. A ransom would do nicely to support my army for 1 week. After a few days a letter has arrived. The offering for this bastard's head was only 2200 scilingas. Not much worth it at all. If this is how much they value to the nobles of the realm, perhaps I shouldn't be sorry about not being a noble. Or maybe, this bastard was simply worthless. In any case, I have decided to execute him. Not for vengeance this time, but to give a message to the other nobles of the realm and the King Rhoed mostly. I wanted to let them know what happens when they mess with me, when they insult me. Besides I needed to show them I was not comfortable with the price.

I ordered Airmetach to be bringed to the center of camp. There was no place for a formal execution. Only four seperated figurines there were, the hangman, the prisoner, the inquisitor and the watchers. I told him that he committed crimes against me. He replied in despair and fear "I did nothing that you would not do if our roles were exchanged! This is just a war!". I said "Our roles exchanged? But that did not happen eh? You attacked us with greater numbers. Besides there were other factors that are in your favor, but you could not defeat me. I, defeated you instead. So don't tell me our roles can be exchanged. You can never defeat me!" and ordered the hangman to chop his head off. His last words were "No wait, wait. Please I begthgfh....".

This story was going to continue. But I have just found out that I can't enter any city to sell my goods and slaves. That's because I found myself at war with every faction. I mean, the lords who are my enemies can continue to hate me why do others care so much? And even when all of them hate me, how the hell I find myself at war with every faction instantly. They can not declare a war just because they hate me, there are other factors too. Don't tell me it is realistic when the system obviously missing some parts to be completed. "I don't like you, so die." is never a real reason to wage a war to someone. And there is no way all the factions can declare war to the same faction at the very same time.

Also, I do not execute enemy lords just because I am a 9 year old lamer and evil-wannabe. I do it because it fits the story. That's the way I like to play, like a story. Why not make this into an option such as: "Turn the option all the world hates you when kill a lord [off/on]".

Idibil said:
Nice story, add to trunk of dreams
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=155978.msg3749582#msg3749582

Ok, I will take a look to kill lords penalties.

Please don't otherwise  everyone would just kill them. Better yet increase the ransom 4-5 times and increase the time between the offers to 1 week and increase probability of the offer. Also if you can add a dialog to prisoner lords if you can ask them to join you would be awesome.

It should be a player choice to kill or not to kill a lord. As it is now, even if it fits the story you can't kill a lord because there's no way for you to recover from such a blow. Having new lords join a kingdom every now and then would balance this out as well.

JuJu70 said:
Idibil said:

Please don't otherwise  everyone would just kill them. Better yet increase the ransom 4-5 times and increase the time between the offers to 1 week and increase probability of the offer. Also if you can add a dialog to prisoner lords if you can ask them to join you would be awesome.

About penalties are you talking?

Untitled. said:
It should be a player choice to kill or not to kill a lord. As it is now, even if it fits the story you can't kill a lord because there's no way for you to recover from such a blow. Having new lords join a kingdom every now and then would balance this out as well.

Problem here, is that lords arent historical, Actually, alls lords of Brytenwalda exist really.

Idibil said:
JuJu70 said:
Idibil said:

About penalties are you talking?

Untitled. said:

Problem here, is that lords arent historical, Actually, alls lords of Brytenwalda exist really.

Yes leave the penalties as they are unless you can code in some lord regeneration.

But the main reason for not releasing lords is economical and military. A battle with a lord would cause me a few good soldiers dead which are not recoverable with a pittance they pay right now. So if I would get 5000-6000/lord I maybe more inclined to release them.

I have think about it, too money can do game easy. Actually, you get good money by them.
You have reason in that if there are changes in penalties, we need have alternative lords, but I amnt sure if add non historical lords is good idea.

Idibil said:
I have think about it, too money can do game easy. Actually, you get good money by them.
You have reason in that if there are changes in penalties, we need have alternative lords, but I amnt sure if add non historical lords is good idea.

Well I make too much money from trade and selling prisoners and land, selling an occasional lord will not make it easy. In fact I never sell the lords, so no money comes from that.

Also I am pretty sure the lords had relatives, you can add them as alternates

Even though it's based on history and goes for historical accuracy adding the lords' relatives would be a huge gameplay improvement. I don't think players will game lords every time they capture a lord if they know someone will replace them.
Also, if someone had killed a lord back in the 7th century I'm sure some relatives would have gained the title. It's not fiction, it's just an alternative history. :smile:

Oh, it feels cool that you added it to the trunk of dreams thread :grin:

But there is a problem with my character. The cheatmenu trick did work, thanks to herbiazors. I can increse my relations with other lords to 0. Yet, one obstacle remains; they are not agreed to make peace with me. When I ask to make peace with other kingdoms, their kings reply "I am in no position to offer you a pardon". It happens even when I have +100 relationship with the king. I have found out that I have controversy: 27 now. Is that the reason why no one wishes to make peace with me? If so, how can I make my controversy to 0 again?

There is everything but no controversy changer.

Sorry for being a pest :smile:

Edit: I have opened my save files, in a hope to modify my values by hand. But I find it waay too technical and complicated for me.

Historical games are only historical until you press the play button. Killing a lord should net you dishonorable points. After all, you are killing a captured, disarmed prisoner. You should take massive penalties with said lords' family, friends, and maybe faction. You should not, however, suffer penalties with villages or lords who have no relation or knowledge of said lord. But I can understand where honorable lords will look down on you somewhat for acting so, well, dishonorably. If I kill a Saxon lord, why would Pict lords or villages care? Etc, etc, etc.

I say something like this:

Christan Saxon Lord - Kill
- Major negative relations to said lords' family, friends, and faction.
- Slight negative relations with other christian lords and villages.
- Positive relations with pagan lords, villages, etc.

And like so for a pagan lord, etc. Just my thoughts.

@Pundragon

Let's say we know each other but are probably from different countries. Let's say you learn I executed my neighbor for basically no reason. Would you still think I am a good person?

Back
Top Bottom