Trine & Trine 2 - Speedrun Leaderboards!

Users who are viewing this thread

trine_logo.png

Surprised there wasn't a thread for these already... I guess most people here already know about it but it can't hurt to write a summary. Basically a 2.5D side-scroller with stunning visuals (mmm bloom) and an extremely robust physics engine. It's the physics that makes this game great really. It's so well done that you get all sorts of unexpected results when playing around with it and you can come up with all manner of interesting solutions to the in-game puzzles.

There are 3 characters, which you switch between on the fly:

The Wizard - Creates various objects and moves things around. Useful for bridging gaps and ferrying people in co-op.
The Thief - Has a bow for shooting and a grappling hook for swinging from wooden surfaces. Doesn't really do much to help the others in co-op but generally needs the least help progressing.
The Knight - Kind of the comic idiot... smashes things and has a shield to deflect missiles, fire, liquids.

In single player, you just flick between these as you go. In co-op, each character can only be controlled by one player though in the second game (I think) you can set it so that any player can be any character at any time.

The main difference is that the second game has online co-op, whereas the first just has local. There are also some improvements/additions to the physics engine and the skills are rebalanced (including scrapping "mana/energy").

Always happy to play some Trine 2 co-op, just get me on steam (captain_of_lust).

Eye candy (Trine 2):

speedruns.png

How to enter:
Since there's no built in timer in the game, you'll need to use some kind of recording software. Best practice is to record and edit at 29.97 fps.
  • Play with any settings, use any perk unlocks and any glitches you like. No "official" cheats though (I think there are some in the first game...).
  • Record the whole level, ideally from before you start until after you finish, at 29.97 fps.
  • The time set is normally the time from when you first move your character (it helps to wait a few seconds before moving, so that this moment is distinct) to when the character icons fade to nothing (there are exceptions, listed below).
  • The easiest way to measure this is to import your clip into Sony Vegas and split it at each point (where your character starts moving and where the icons fade), then go to Video FX and add "Time & Frames" to the run clip (now separate from the ends). Then navigate to the last frame (be precise by zooming in) of the clip and you'll see the time in the format "hours:minutes:seconds.frames". Multiply the "frames" value by 3.33 then round to get your 100ths of a second value.
    • You can also do this in Windows/Live Movie Maker. Just zoom in the clip as much as possible, then split it at the same points. The time format is "minutes:seconds.centiseconds" so it's just a simple subtraction to get your final time. It has a "publish to youtube" feature too... haven't tested it though.
  • Render and upload the video, along with the time you've calculated then post here with the level name, a link to the video and the time you've set. The top 3 will be displayed here (1 per person).

Alternate Speedrun endpoints:
[*]Searock Castle - The endpoint is when the boss goblin's icon disappears.

Trine_2_logo.png

lvl_t2_The%20Story%20Begins.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1captain lust02:25.23
---:--.--
5621140148_36b6ed98d2_o.png
lvl_t2_Forlorn%20Wilderness.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1L0rdy02:24.41
2captain lust02:47.87
3Frosty08:18.64
lvl_t2_Mudwater%20Dale.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1L0rdy01:28.75
2captain lust02:07.47
3Frosty04:32.40
lvl_t2_Mosslight_Marsh.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1L0rdy01:26.23
2captain lust02:56.73
lvl_t2_Petrified%20Tree.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1L0rdy02:21.04
2captain lust03:18.01
lvl_t2_shadowed_halls.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1captain lust03:29.17
lvl_t2_Hushing%20Grove.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1captain lust02:54.60
lvl_t2_Mushroom%20Caves.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1captain lust01:54.97
lvl_t2_Mushroom%20Murk.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1captain lust01:11.23
lvl_t2_Searock%20Castle.png

PosNameTime
w26.png
w190.png
w70.png
1L0rdy04:01.63
2captain lust06:04.33

Amazing games, a must buy! Me and Goker were playing earlier :>

Will get some of my screenshots.

qx85tv.jpg

2n70092.jpg

14n01tt.jpg

Frosty. said:
captain lust said:
Shame they don't have a speed run/time trial mode. Might set up a scoreboard in this thread if there's any interest.

I'll be up for that.
That'll do :razz:.

Just been having a go at racing through some levels as fast as possible with a mind to get up some benchmark times... harder than I thought it would be. I guess to get a really good time you need to know the level by heart and have some sort of a plan.

I'll try and put something together tonight.

Here's my first attempt at Speedrunning a level: http://youtu.be/L4SvXDNM1Ik

I'd bet simply by doing it again I could shed off a minute :lol: but really I just wanted to get that done as a tester. I figured a good way of measuring the time would be from the first movement to the end of the character icon fade (top left). Don't know how that'll work for other levels and it might mean just setting a precedent for each one.

I'll update the OP in a bit.

I recorded with Dxtory (29.97 fps I think, same as Vegas to stay synced). The timer is just an effect you can add in Vegas, which I put in afterwards. To get the final time, I split the clip at the point the character started moving and at the frame where the icons disappear completely then found the difference. Vegas counts in "minutes:seconds:frames" though, which is a minor nuiscance. Just have to multiply the frames by 3.33 to get 100ths of a second.

To be honest, it's far from an exact science and I don't think we'll be battling it out for milliseconds at this stage :razz:. Really should be some sort of in-game counter though, even if it's not a separate game mode.

Oh and I played on Easy with unlocks enabled (I don't have all of them but I don't think that made a difference). I think it's best to say anything goes with those rules, including glitchy weird methods being allowed. Have a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRG9ZT6Dv_0

EDIT: OP Updated.. heh.

Scully said:
No mana and no items :sad: Other than that it was pretty fun.
Mehh the mana was kind of silly. You would run out at the worst times and end up having to return to the last checkpoint. It's not really something that's necessary for the game. The items, I could take or leave.

Updated the OP with a few initial times. I have a feeling this will fail miserably :lol: but I'm having fun with it anyway. Quite proud of the Mosslight Marsh run in particular.

Frosty. said:
I got around 4:32 on mudwater dale :>

Don't have Vegas though =/ So I can give it to you Lust? :p
I don't mind if you want to do a similar thing in a different piece of software... will put up some instructions for Windows Live Movie Maker (if it can be done in that), which is free.

For the time being, I don't mind if you send it to me.

My Forlorn Wilderness run

8:18.64 is when it ends :> Took a few tries, this was my best one xD, Hopefully will do better on the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckeVlslGoY8&feature=youtu.be

Guys, if you want Global Leaderboards for Trine 2, you can suggest it in its great community :cool::

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=9ae3c7a0405a8d79deec6697f3c0336d

EDIT: Oh, nvm. Seems that you've suggested it already :lol: :oops:

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4077

Back
Top Bottom