Voting Poll:Swadia - Troop Improvements

The Kingdom of Swadia Needs Improvements for what Troop Type?

• Melee Infantry

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Ranged Infantry

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • Melee Calvary

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Ranged Calvary

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Mixed Infantry

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Mixed Calvary

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • None

Votes: 10 9.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

What troops do you all think need improvements for The Kingdom of Swadia?

• Swadian Peasant (Level 3 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 60 2H: 60 POLE: 60)
    • Swadian Recruit (Level 4 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 60 2H: 60 POLE: 60)
      • Swadian Militia (Level 9 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 75 2H: 75 POLE: 75)
        • Swadian Footman (Level 14 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 105 2H: 85 POLE: 95)
          • Swadian Man at Arms (Level 21 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 120 2H: 100 POLE: 110)
            • Swadian Knight (Level 28 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 150 2H: 130 POLE: 130)
          • Swadian Infantry (Level 20 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 125 2H: 105 POLE: 115)
            • Swadian Sergeant (Level 25 STR: 7 AGI: 5 1H: 155 2H: 135 POLE: 145)
        • Swadian Skirmisher (Level 14 STR: 7 AGI: 5 BOW: 80 XBOW: 80 THR: 80)
          • Swadian Crossbowman (Level 19 STR: 7 AGI: 5 BOW: 90 XBOW: 100 THR: 90)
            • Swadian Sharpshooter (Level 24 STR: 14 AGI: 10 BOW: 100 XBOW: 120 THR: 100)

Comrade Temuzu said:
Back in the Warband beta days, Swadia used to have Mounted Crossbowmen. Maybe give them some of those?
Although I love crossbows, I am against mounted crossbowmen. The AI simply sucks when using crossbows on horseback. I've toyed around with mounted crossbowmen in my mod and the result was not very encouraging.
You'd need to fix the AI:
- force them to prefer the crossbow until all bolts have been used up
- evade enemies

If you manage to code that, mounted crossbowmen will start to become attractive.

Bismarck said:
Comrade Temuzu said:
Back in the Warband beta days, Swadia used to have Mounted Crossbowmen. Maybe give them some of those?
Although I love crossbows, I am against mounted crossbowmen. The AI simply sucks when using crossbows on horseback. I've toyed around with mounted crossbowmen in my mod and the result was not very encouraging.
You'd need to fix the AI:
- force them to prefer the crossbow until all bolts have been used up
- evade enemies

If you manage to code that, mounted crossbowmen will start to become attractive.
Knowing the AI tactics, they will advance in a line towards you, which gives the crossbows time to shoot their bows while moving. Then they just charge in. I cant see the problem there.

Well although I voted for ranged Cavalry(archer) this wouldn't make much sense since Swadians are based in western european medieval armies.

I think their infantry should be improved, in my opinion the swadian sergeants suck. There should be some elite infantry with shields.

Yeah, Sergeants should be like dismounted knights or somthin'. Give 'em shields, maces, swords and maybe some spears. Leave two-handed weapons to others.

Other than that, the Swadians don't really need improvements.

As for cavalry archers... again, MERCENARY GUILDS, people ! Through their guild, Swadia WILL have access to cavalry archers, so have no worries.

Winterz, I dunno if you checked on the original MnB port of SOD, but there each Calradian faction got a guild on their own.

Have a check here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,76772.0.html

We didn't plan any new guilds for SOD: Warlords atm, but the ones in the MnB version will be ported after we finish MnB SOD v5.0 :wink:

MorrisB said:
Winterz, I dunno if you checked on the original MnB port of SOD, but there each Calradian faction got a guild on their own.

Have a check here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,76772.0.html

We didn't plan any new guilds for SOD: Warlords atm, but the ones in the MnB version will be ported after we finish MnB SOD v5.0 :wink:

Of course I played it, but there were no mounted archers in the mercenary guild or were they? Can't remember pretty well but there were the black company, those elehpant guys, those kind of barbarians (Boyar), Conquistadores and other one...

To clear it up, the guilds are:

- Black Army (Swadia)
- Conquistadors (Vaegir)
- Jotnar Clan (Nord)
- Serpent Host (Rhodok)
- Elephant Guard (Khergit)

Also, in v5.0 we'll be adding a new 'independent' guild, the Boar Clan. In SOD: Warlords, they will be tied to the Sarranids.

In addition, there's a chance we'll be altering the Black Army a bit - currently, only their special top tier unit is a cavalry archer. We may twist it around so their regular cavalry will be actual cavalry archers (based on medieval east-european hussars), while their special unit will be an offensive heavy cavalry troop. This way Swadia will have a reasonable support of cavalry archers.

Why not switching Black army to Rhodok and Serpent to Swadia then (if its not to complicated to explain it the background) since the map is quite different from original Caladria?
Swadians have balanced army but with no bow foot an cavalry that serpent s have.
Rhodok no cavalry, and the infantery is more disigned for fighting against cavalery than other melée unit (in the spirit) when Black Army is a shock infantery

Could make sens maybe?

I'm the story-writer of SOD, and I'd find it very, very hard to change the concepts now.

In the MnB version of SOD, we took a LOT of factors - geographics, history, cultural background, etc etc - heavily into consideration, each and every guild has very good reason to serve their respective Calradian faction, so it's not gonna' change.

BUT we may alter the guilds themselves. As I mentioned previously, the Black Army will lose its heavy cavalry and get horse archers (giving horse archers to Swadia); similarly, we can always boost the Serpent Host infantry line to be more efficient assault troops. Since we're a few decades ahead it does make sense that the Guilds specialized further to serve their masters better :wink:

A fair question. While the SOD factions do have their individual weaknesses, at the same time they are often more powerful than Calradian factions - Antarians have best foot troops and Aden has the best cavalry in the entire game, Zerrikans get tons of prisoners due to their blunt weapons, Marinans can do wonders with their polearms in sieges and against cavalry... only the Villianese are at a notable disadvantage, against cavalry opponents and heavy foot troops. But this is easy to solve through equipment tweaking.

Also, making up 5 (!!!) entire guilds takes a looong time. We'll have more than enough other work to do and worry about.
If the SOD factions do get their respective unique mercenaries, they will be highly specialized troops with 1-2 tiers of units, like in the case of the Imperial Legion (who have the Bastard Brothers and Sons of Deer at their side in the MnB port of the mod).

The scenes themselves are done and all, BUT the coding, mates. The goddamn coding. In SOD v5.0 (the upcoming last major release for vanilla MnB) will change a lot of things about mercenaries, especially their prices and they will also get new quests. So, until v5.0 is finished, Computica simply CAN'T adopt the merc guilds over to SOD Warlords cos' he'd have to do the whole thing again once v5.0 comes out, which would be pretty pointless extra work for him.

If you didn't know about the guilds 'till know and want to try them for yourselves, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until v5.0 comes out and we port the feature to SOD Warlords, or, if you have vanilla MnB, download the current SOD version for it (SOD v4.57 + get the 4.6 patch !) and play them there.

MorrisB said:
Yeah, Sergeants should be like dismounted knights or somthin'. Give 'em shields, maces, swords and maybe some spears. Leave two-handed weapons to others.

Other than that, the Swadians don't really need improvements.

As for cavalry archers... again, MERCENARY GUILDS, people ! Through their guild, Swadia WILL have access to cavalry archers, so have no worries.

i kinda must disagree on this, the swadian infrantery is already pretty heavy armored and sometimes used very heavy weapons like morningstars, making them wear plate etc makes them way to powerfull. Almost any unit becomes to powerfull wearing a plate. And the slower speed doesn''t compensate it.

Swadia is a pretty balanced faction I wouldn't mess with them

Back
Top Bottom