Add Insane Spawns Difficulty - Currently have Normal & Hard

• Yes

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 22 39.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Floris Less & Tougher Troops Mod for Floris

Due to requests Ive posted the final 2.4 version here www.alienitc.com/FLTT/FLTT_1.9a.zip

*disclaimer* no idea if itll work with the latest 2.4 version, and I wont update it until 2.5 comes out. use at your own risk, and backup any files it overwrites

DISCONTINUED UNTIL FLORIS 2.5 COMES OUT.

Screenshots from Gameplay can be viewed here - http://www.slideroll.com/player.php?s=v0xgxb9h

Features:

Troop Viewer, 13 Troops per faction, tier 1-5 with 1 specialty tier 6 unit per faction. Overhauled equipment, names and upgrade system for all troops. All disabled troops marked with an X in game. Savegame compatible with 2.3 Floris. Should work with both basic and expanded, but I have only tested it on Expanded version so be aware! All unit spawns perfectly balanced for good even Autocalcs & Battles. High level lords will have a lot of high level troops with them, which should make for more challenging end-game gameplay. Also, I've made tons of changes to the item_kinds file, so you'll see quite a difference in the weapons probably :smile:

Features that require a new game - Skill display updates, new Lord gear, downsizing garrisons. Skills have been set the same since 1.0, Lord gear finalized since 1.0d. Fixed a bug that the mercenary Hobilar was not recruit-able in taverns. Tweaked some more equipment, added a little diversity. If horse archers are being stupid, try turning the HA fix off in options. Seems to have helped my game.

I have modified every Lord & tourney participant, everyone is tougher. Lords all have special gear and armour now. Will look into adding surgery/path finding for lords in the future, if it doesn't cause balance problems. Tweaked almost every item. Bastard weapons are now defined by being slower than normal weapons, not way lower damage when used in 1 hand. The troops rely heavily on the itemkinds file for both their look & feel and their damage balance. All lower end weapons are a little higher in damage.

Every single troop has a place in your army (except maybe the peasants, but even they can be handy for cheap fodder sometimes. No one is just pure fodder. Do not upgrade just because you can! A tier 3 poleaxe unit can be as dangerous as a tier 6 Teuton if used correctly and given the right situation.

module.ini suggested settings

I am posting some module.ini settings I have adjusted and am finding they help to balance quite well to fit more with history & my item_kinds changes. just copy and paste or change the values in your floris modules.ini file. I believe that editing here helps us obtain a much more realistic and balanced battlefield. I'm open to suggestions on this.

# You can modify the damage system by editing the following values:
# The first three values determine the amount which will be directly subtracted from damage due to armor.
# The next three values determine the percentage reduction from the damage.

armor_soak_factor_against_cut      = 0.75
armor_soak_factor_against_pierce    = 0.7
armor_soak_factor_against_blunt    = 0.5

armor_reduction_factor_against_cut      = 0.8
armor_reduction_factor_against_pierce    = 0.6
armor_reduction_factor_against_blunt    = 0.8

horse_charge_damage_multiplier        = 1.0
couched_lance_damage_multiplier      = 0.65
fall_damage_multiplier                = 1.0

optionally, you may wish to raise the first 3 rows values if you feel heavily armoured troops take too much damage from lower end weapons. I dont recommend this, but it's your game, and you can play it how you want :smile: For example, if you change the blunt soak value to 0.9 and the reduction value to 0.3 or 0.4, you will find basic maces do little to a teuton, but heavy weapons like a mallet will do even more damage. I set fall damage to 0.5 as a personal preference, simply because sometimes i get sick of being stuck behind my troops in a siege and would rather jump than run around the castle, this is purely a personal preference thing. I really dont think it affects gameplay balance that much, though it will affect NPC's too :smile: The charge damage multiplier I cut to 0.5 to make cavalry a little less overpowering. Again, your choice to stay with 1.0 or 0.5, but I find that the 0.5 definitely makes for more intense game play and less cavalry domination.

Explanation of Troops & Tree Design Philosophy

Troops now go through a distinct evolution of both skills and gear. My goal was to reduce Floris numbers, while maintaining slightly more troops and the flavour Floris creates over Native. In order to this, I have removed Floris tier 7 troops, but kept each faction with a tier 6 troop as an elite troop and all chains end in a tier 5 troop.

Troops will be distinguished more by equipment and weapons skills and I have implemented a new system to try and create a more dynamic, exciting & difficult battlefield.

I tried to simulate a medieval armies recruitment. A lord goes to a village, raises some peasants. He then trains them a little, equipping them with some basic stuff along the way. After a brief time the peasant evolves into a spear/melee type militia unit, or an archer/ranged archetype. So the lord may buy him some gear, and has trained him for a few days. After some more training and maybe a battle, the troop has increased in skills, and most likely acquired a small armour upgrade of some kind, and has been slotted into a semi niche position. This represents a Tier 3 Trooper.

By tier 4 the trooper has seen battle, has been trained more heavily, and it has been decided what kind of unit he will become, a knight, an archer or an infantry unit of some kind. He has most likely acquired some wealth and has been able to equip himself better since he has lived this long.

At Tier 5 the unit has seen many battles and has been trained heavily. He is a full time battle hardened veteran of many campaigns.

Tier 6 units represent minor lords, or the elite guard of that faction. He has the best assortment of gear, and weapons to deal with various kinds of enemies, or to best suit his skills.

One thing you will probably notice is that I have improved the starting gear of all the troops. I did this because it is bad enough a tier 2 unit sucks at aiming a bow, only to finally hit something with a 15p rated hunting bow. Weapons still scale, but not as much, and lower tier troops should now be more useful in combat.

All the troops should be much more useful in combat now. Tier 6 units may be elite, but a well swung bill or halberd may cut their career short at any time. Or maybe a Rhodok peasant will get lucky with his crossbow. In the middle ages it only took a week to train a crossbowman, and hence why knights feared and loathed them so much.

I have also edited the Lords to all have some trainer skills, increased their gear, and increased their weapons skills to match their level - Formula 10x level - I realize this may seem a bit excessive but my hope is too make lords more dangerous than regular troops on the field. I removed all horses from all of the rhodok lords and nord lords so they move as part of the army rather than being the lone horseman and easily targetable by the enemy army. The Kings are all a lot tougher, to reflect their status and their skill on the battlefield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troops and factions themes

Swadians - Strong cavalry and good archers, weak infantry.

Vaegirs - Strong infantry and good archers, weaker cavalry.

Khergits - Strong horse archers and lancers, weaker 2 handed units. All mounted.

Nords - Strongest infantry.

Rhodoks - excellent xbows, strong sword/shield/pick infantry, good halberdiers, and dangerous 2 handed estocs.

Sarranids - Strong Cavalry,  a strong infantry/throwing weapon hybrid sword/shield unit, and mounted camel riders with bows that evolve into horse archers with a sword/shield at tier 5.

All troops upgrade more logically. Peasants become basic units with a decent weapons - especially the halberds, spears and billmen early on, as reflected by the medieval setting where troops where given polearms to fight better troops off in a formation.

As the troop upgrades they may gain a sword, a horse, etc, so a survivor becomes a veteran with more skills in the next tier, but not necessarily better gear. After some more campaigns the soldier can become a better geared unit with even more skills, until at tier 5 they reach their apex of gear & skills. The tier 6 unit, 1 for each faction, is the specialty unit of that faction, with some extra levels, somewhat better gear (reflecting status, loot from many campaigns).

The aim is that every tier of troop is now useful to some degree. Elite units will still be a significant threat, but lower tier units are now viable and useful troops rather than just total cannon fodder waiting for an upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Faction Troop Trees

allfactionsfltt15.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your great feedback so far!

Also, I want to extend a huge thanks to the Floris mod creators, Monnjke, Duh, and Caba'Drin, and everyone else that has helped me and supported in the making and testing of this sub-mod. I never would have come back to this game where it not for Floris 2.3, and my troop tree work here is nothing compared to the hours the team has put into making this awesome mod for all of us to really get the most out of Mount & Blade gameplay wise & graphically. Also, Morghs Tools where used to make this entire mod, and so he gets a huge thanks too, because without those tools it would take me 10 times as long to do all of this editing and tweaking.

Thanks to your troop tree I may play this mod again. The old one was redundant. If you can get the troop viewer updated with your troop tree, more people would probably download it.

Are there any balance issues between the factions?

Can I use this troop tree for basic pack 2.2?
My computer is old, so I cann't play the expanded pack or Wraband v.1134

I'm thinking of eliminating the tier 7 troops and making the tier 6 the top and rarest upgrade. I'm finding that the tier 7 troops are a little too tough and tier 6 is too prevalent which makes for balance issues with the lower tier troops. thoughts?

Since this wouldn't be save game compatible and I'm fairly happy about how things are going I don't think I'll be trying this out anytime soon but I will say that the tier 7 guys do seem to be a little overpowered at times so reducing it to tier 6 might not be a bad idea. I also feel that in the base mod there are a lot of filler troops, which you seem to have gotten rid of already, where usually it's just better to follow the path to the highest tier since those units usually kick the most a**, imo anyways

Itll still be savegame compatible. Only issue is that for some time 1-2 months or so, you'll see the old troops in game until they are killed off.

T7 better be Overpowered! It takes ages to raise them. I've never had more than 4-5 T7 in my army. I would hate for them to die so easily, since I invested so much time into training them.

Heck I'd cut everything down to max tier 5.  There are few tactical advantages to the Tier 6-7 units that don't boil down to "like the related Tier 5 unit only slightly more awesome."  The core of each unit chain is firmly established by Tier 5 and the units do what, tactically, they should be expected to do.  What that means from my perspective is that there's really no need for the units beyond that point in the chain -- they're just the same thing with better equipment, and bring no tactical evolution to your forces.

Also the AI doesn't use  T6 or T7 in enough quantity to make them a true terror to face, giving the player who organizes and trains his units too much of an advantage over the AI simply from preparation.  Simplify everything down to max Tier 5 and the AI will come up with appreciable numbers of "max level" units and the fights will be credibly dangerous as a result.

And when I say "max Tier 5?"  I mean that each side has one troop chain that can get that high.  If you need to tweak the equipment "upward" to make that work, do it.  There is no need for 7 teirs of units, and the game retains the kind of risk of failure that makes it interesting only if you cut them out.

Looks awesome! While the other tree was pretty impressive I don't think a lot of units really saw use, by the players anyways. And the one tier 6 unit per faction is brilliant too, sets the specialty of each faction. Balancing will be easier too with less units. I will probably start using this troop tree now to see how everything plays. One thing I really noticed from the screens that I'd like to mention is getting rid of the Khergit unmounted units, always saw their armies with a bunch of those guys running around, just didn't seem right.

Updated to 0.8a. Fixed a weapon model not appearing on a troop, and fixed the horses stats in item_kinds so they are properly varied and slightly more diverse.

Nice troop pack =D But I have a question, isn't Vaegir's specialty their archers? Why do they have a T6 infantry instead?

Despite the great simplification this pack makes, the mod has a map full of bugs as follows as to the kingdoms and their cities:

Vaegir: Tulga, Halmar
Swadia: Reyvadin, Khudan
Nord: Veluca, Jelkala
Kerghit: Tihr, Sargoth
Sarranid: Suno
Rhodok: Durquba, Shariz
Commoners:razz:raven

What on earth is this?

Could you please fix this bug as it looks terrible?

frukox said:
Despite the great simplification this pack makes, the mod has a map full of bugs as follows as to the kingdoms and their cities:

Vaegir: Tulga, Halmar
Swadia: Reyvadin, Khudan
Nord: Veluca, Jelkala
Kerghit: Tihr, Sargoth
Sarranid: Suno
Rhodok: Durquba, Shariz
Commoners:razz:raven

What on earth is this?

Could you please fix this bug as it looks terrible?

Not sure I understand the problem - did you post this in the right topic?!

Aetavicus said:
Nice troop pack =D But I have a question, isn't Vaegir's specialty their archers? Why do they have a T6 infantry instead?

Just because there is a bazillion archers already Aetavicus :smile: Tier 5 is pretty high to hit, an archer upgrade would just give an archer with slightly better aim, rather than an elite trooper with a new use - ie 1 hander vs 2 hander.

Yes, pada. The factions have this cities in addition to their original cities.

For example:

Kerghits have Sargoth, Tihr, Ichamur, Narra
Nords;Jelkala, Veluca, Wercheg
Sarranids; Ahmerrad, Barriyye, Suno
Rhodok: Shariz, Durquba, Yalen
Swadia: Uxkhal, Reyvadin, Khudan, Dhirim
Vaegir: Tulga, Curaw, Rivacheg, Halmar
Commonners: Praven!! at the beginning of a new game such a picture appears!

Back
Top Bottom