The Skin Poppet - Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

What about a buildable devil castle ? It could be a reward from Typhon, after a quest. It would be player owned and :

- look like a fortified abey, property of a now deceased noblemen wich was trying to flee an terrible plague
- can be upgradable with special building (butchery, necropolis, etc..)
- have an intendant, with the same role as an village elder, giving you the ability to upgrade the castle, recruit troops (acolyte) etc... I think that William Willson could be a good name.
- have a small town, like the vast majority of castles. A old and desolated town, circular, hide in a valley, with a belfry in the center.

Edit : Just another idea : the BloodFountain beacon. Basically it should be a High Priest rank craftable item, allowing the player to place a marker in the map (only one use per item). The action to place the marker would transfer the spawn point of NPC Necromancer from Zendar to this new position. I love the idea of a cunning necromancer using this ritual to exploit bloodlust of other necomancers to achieve his goals, without any consideration for their lives. Moreover, I think that the spawn point handickap Nord kingdom too much so a Nord-friendly player could relieve Nords from this treat

Spoilers! :eek:

There are no established "good" factions, for one important reason: this mod is based on Greek Mythology, with a bit of a dark twist. All the gods are a bit mad, you see - but if you look especially at earlier greek mythos (such as that of Cronos devouring his children, representing time, for instance) you will see that the Gods were often construed as insane, petty, vain, and of course egotistical. So Solid and Shade is essentially consistent with Greek mythology, as someone with a penchant for melodrama (such as Poe) would present it. Boo. You're scared now.

That being said, even the followers of Zeus in this mod would have a strong inclination toward judgement and sacrifice. This is a pagan world, and so there are no fanatical and puritanical followers of the "one god", hellbent (pardon the pun) on eradicating evil in the name of good. Can you consider Zeus good? And if Zeus is just a debatably evil powerhungry bastard, what does that say about Hades? Maybe Hades just has his own ideas, and isn't disillusioned about his place in the cosmos, since he doesn't consider himself the "supreme" ruler among the gods...

There will be the occasional zealot against the "evil forces" of the land, but they will be few and far between. The Forlorn Man is an example of one of them - someone who fought against evil and ultimately failed - and doomed himself to near immortality to think about it, to boot.

This is the type of cerebral horror I am going for. If you put yourself in any of the shoes of the characters in this mod, you would find them... uncomfortable to say the least. Even Dupin is left to question his existence when his nature as a clockwork construct is revealed to him and his creator leaves to die in a far away land - the "android's" dilemma. I suppose that may be my homage to so many years of scifi. Every genre i hold dear is present in this mod. And there are very few happy endings... and where they exist, they tend to be bittersweet. My allusions to the Pinocchio fable in the mod is a good example - yet the Great Artificer is less like Geppetto and more like the Wizard of Oz when you finally meet him. Which means his final scene is more like an apology for what can never be undone, than a fond farewell. And just imagine if Dorothy had never woke up in Kansas at the end? You get the picture. :twisted:

So I suppose thats my official answer to why there are no armies of paladins, vampire hunters, etc., unless you yourself take up the mantle of Antihero: It's a wicked world out there, and nobody's hands are clean. Oh, what a world... what a world...

(Fade to black...)

Clear. But I did not mean "good." Just the opposite. Burn at the stake innocent people. Accuse anyone of witchcraft. Rob the people, under the pretext of fighting evil. Torturing people to confess. I think this is not a good act. Defeating the dragon, you yourself become a dragon. :smile:

But how can there be witch hunts if there is a witch in every village? Sages foretell the harvest by examining the liver of a sacrificed horse - and the people believe in the signs that are read, wholeheartedly! There is far too much superstition for a righteous cult to prosper.

Consider a world where Christianity does not exist, in a late dark ages setting, where the gods are actually active forces in the world. Throw in all of Poe's stuff, and european folklore - and you have a more well-informed society, even at the lower levels who don't just believe in higher powers - many have seen them. Not to mention the dark powers of the Necromancers beginning to spread their plague across the world...

N0ught said:

There are no established "good" factions, for one important reason: this mod is based on Greek Mythology, with a bit of a dark twist. All the gods are a bit mad, you see - but if you look especially at earlier greek mythos (such as that of Cronos devouring his children, representing time, for instance) you will see that the Gods were often construed as insane, petty, vain, and of course egotistical. So Solid and Shade is essentially consistent with Greek mythology, as someone with a penchant for melodrama (such as Poe) would present it. Boo. You're scared now.

That being said, even the followers of Zeus in this mod would have a strong inclination toward judgement and sacrifice. This is a pagan world, and so there are no fanatical and puritanical followers of the "one god", hellbent (pardon the pun) on eradicating evil in the name of good. Can you consider Zeus good? And if Zeus is just a debatably evil powerhungry bastard, what does that say about Hades? Maybe Hades just has his own ideas, and isn't disillusioned about his place in the cosmos, since he doesn't consider himself the "supreme" ruler among the gods...

There will be the occasional zealot against the "evil forces" of the land, but they will be few and far between. The Forlorn Man is an example of one of them - someone who fought against evil and ultimately failed - and doomed himself to near immortality to think about it, to boot.

This is the type of cerebral horror I am going for. If you put yourself in any of the shoes of the characters in this mod, you would find them... uncomfortable to say the least. Even Dupin is left to question his existence when his nature as a clockwork construct is revealed to him and his creator leaves to die in a far away land - the "android's" dilemma. I suppose that may be my homage to so many years of scifi. Every genre i hold dear is present in this mod. And there are very few happy endings... and where they exist, they tend to be bittersweet. My allusions to the Pinocchio fable in the mod is a good example - yet the Great Artificer is less like Geppetto and more like the Wizard of Oz when you finally meet him. Which means his final scene is more like an apology for what can never be undone, than a fond farewell. And just imagine if Dorothy had never woke up in Kansas at the end? You get the picture. :twisted:

So I suppose thats my official answer to why there are no armies of paladins, vampire hunters, etc., unless you yourself take up the mantle of Antihero: It's a wicked world out there, and nobody's hands are clean. Oh, what a world... what a world...

(Fade to black...)
This is very interesting, N0ught. Philosophical, calculating, maniacal... A world where everyone is clinically crazy (come to think of it, it's not that different from the real world after all). Feeling right at home there.

Hey can you make it to where a Anti Hero can go to the Dominion of evil faction possibly with a quest where Zeus tells you to kill a Undead warlord our even capture the city? Then you can renovate it and turn it into a black fortress of death just without the smell maybe with some bandit's starving to death in a cage our a personnel impaler spike where you can go Vlad on some asses and impale any prisoner even lords in your party with a wonderful animation. Do this enough times and you can win a prize! :twisted:. As a Anti Hero i destroy and torture my enemies but i don't do it for no reason our to civies when not necessary.

It would also be really cool if you included kingdom management from other mods like Sword Of Damocles our Star Wars Conquest. And i would also like if you added some more anti hero artifacts.I like that you allowed us to not be a pure evil Necromancy who devours the hearts of children while butt****ing there corpses while the parents watched all the while listing to Skrilexx but i also like that you didn't make the other choice a little goody two shoes Messiah with rainbows coming out of his **** but you found a good middle ground with the anti hero but i just found playing as one underwhelming as you only get helmet a inaccurate throwing weapon and some skill points sure its a badass helmet but still.That was just my two cents i cant wait for the next update killing has never been this fun before! :twisted:

There will be a pretender to the new faction, and you will have to be an Antihero to join his cause.

And don't forget you get +3 to all attributes when you become an Antihero!

N0ught said:

(Fade to black...)
Lol, Now I have a dilemma who should I fight/serve for?
1.A maniac super evil fountain with blood out of it.
2.Your beloved pimp and thunder god.
Anyway, Nought you should make an armour to match with anti-hero helmet also it would be cool if you add more armors and helmets. If not I will just add some myself. It would be cool to have a questline by Zeus. I would love to do that even if he's not a goody two shoes.

N0UGHT! Can you add Sweeney Todd :shock:? He would fit in SO. WELL. You could give him a barber shop in one of the coastal cities, have Ms. Lovett selling the meat pies (which the undead troops would love, of course) below his room and buy corpses from him and stuff!
(to be honest, I really just want to get my avatar's hands on those straight razors :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:)

Sir William the Brave said:
N0ught said:

(Fade to black...)
Lol, Now I have a dilemma who should I fight/serve for?
1.A maniac super evil fountain with blood out of it.
2.Your beloved pimp and thunder god.
Anyway, Nought you should make an armour to match with anti-hero helmet also it would be cool if you add more armors and helmets. If not I will just add some myself. It would be cool to have a questline by Zeus. I would love to do that even if he's not a goody two shoes.

Was thinking about the quest for Zeus for a while. I think it would be wonderful!

What about some good guys who have decided that everyone is too corrupted and must be destroyed.
This would answer peoples occasional cries for good guys and allow for fancy good guy armour.

Isn't a "necromancer's uprising" kind of that? I mean, I think they're just like that, "everyone is corrupted by life, we try to set them free". Warning, crazy blabbering ahead, preferably skip it.

If you think about it, it kinda makes sense for good guys to erase the living. Solid and Shade world is one that you would prefer to take your chance with reincarnation in better place or check out the afterlife, rather than be alive, trapped between vampires, werewolves, mysterious signs, nature that is obviously dying and warring factions. I mean, damn, even bloodlust, unstoppable monsters prefer to seek refugee in distant villages rather than live in the middle of all that mess.

To elaborate on that totally crazy idea - look at the Blood Fountain. It's nearly unstoppable, ancient creature that would be easily able to set you on quest to subjugate whole world. It could become a god with more or less finger snap, but when it's woken up from its slumber, it will destroy the world and itself with first given chance. What if it has foreseen the inevitable cataclysm that is far worse than actual destruction of everything, looking like an act of mercy in comparison? Something so bad, that even this creature, despite of all its powers, tried to "sleep" through and, when accidentally woke up, decided to almost madly pursuit the goal of total self-destruction before it hits? It hands out own powers and secrets like cookies, all after all, and "sorts out" all candidates that, in a moment of trial, have doubts and grasp onto own, unworthy lives.

So, yeah, everybody are bad guys employed for good guy. And Great Artificier is blind fool despite being genius.

Honestly, Norse myths would fit better to Solid&Shade than greek myths. I.E. in the original myths valkyries are totally the opposite of the Wagnerian - they weave the fates of war with the severed limbs and entrails of dead warriors. This is the Song of the Spear from one of the Icelandic Sagas:

Blood rains    from the cloudy web
On the broad loom    of slaughter.
The web of man    grey as armor
Is now being woven;    the Valkyries
Will cross it    with a crimson weft.

The warp is made    of human entrails;
Human heads    are used as heddle-weights;
The heddle rods    are blood-wet spears;
The shafts are iron-bound    and arrows are the shuttles.
With swords we will weave    this web of battle.

The Valkyries go weaving    with drawn swords,
Hild and Hjorthrimul,    Sanngrid and Svipul.
Spears will shatter    shields will splinter,
Swords will gnaw    like wolves through armor.

Let us now wind    the web of war
Which the young king    once waged.
Let us advance    and wade through the ranks,
Where friends of ours    are exchanging blows.

And then follow    the king to battle
Gunn and Gondul    can see there
The blood-spattered shields    that guarded the king.

Where the warrior banners    are forging forward
Let his life    not be taken;
Only the Valkyries    can choose the slain.

Lands will be ruled    by new peoples
Who once inhabited    outlying headlands.
We pronounce a great king    destined to die;
Now an earl    is felled by spears.

The men of Ireland    will suffer a grief
That will never grow old    in the minds of men.
The web is now woven    and the battlefield reddened;
The news of disaster    will spread through lands
It is horrible now    to look around
As a blood-red cloud    darkens the sky.
The heavens are stained    with the blood of men,
As the Valkyries    sing their song.

We sang well    victory songs
For the young king;    hail to our singing!
Let him who listens    to our Valkyrie song
Learn it well    and tell it to others.

Let us ride our horses    hard on bare backs,
With swords unsheathed    away from here!

And then they tore the woven cloth from the loom and ripped it to pieces, each keeping the shred she held in her hands... The women mounted their horses and rode away, six to the south and six to the north.

EDIT:
Not only that but also:
-Draugs are undead figures that in different myths can be Drowned Sailors, Zombies, Ghosts or Vampires. I'd suggest Vampires.

-One of Odin's titles is Draugadrottin (Lord of the Draugr). At the time of Yule (21st december), according to the myth, he starts the wild hunt where he leads an army of undead.

-A giant wolf / werewolf protects the moat encircling Valhalla. Fenrir is also a wolf. You can choose which of the two to set as progenitors of the Werewolves.

-Hela the goddess of the dead is half living;half corpse. Her dominion Helheim is in some myths an obscure place much like Hades.

-From the celtic myths there are: Morrigan which is a valkyrie-like goddess and the Cave of Cruachan which is the entry to a realm of dead/spirits/monsters.

-Except from the case of the Fenrir which is always "evil" and sometimes(only sometimes) the draugs, the figures of Odin, Morrigan, Hela and the Valkyries, though heavily associated with the Death and afterlife are without a positive or negative conotation. The Wild Hunt is also seen as a positive event for the followers of Odin.

ThaneWulfgharn said:
Honestly, Norse myths would fit better to Solid&Shade than greek myths. I.E. in the original myths valkyries are totally the opposite of the Wagnerian - they weave the fates of war with the severed limbs and entrails of dead warriors. This is the Song of the Spear from one of the Icelandic Sagas:

Blood rains    from the cloudy web
On the broad loom    of slaughter.
The web of man    grey as armor
Is now being woven;    the Valkyries
Will cross it    with a crimson weft.

The warp is made    of human entrails;
Human heads    are used as heddle-weights;
The heddle rods    are blood-wet spears;
The shafts are iron-bound    and arrows are the shuttles.
With swords we will weave    this web of battle.

The Valkyries go weaving    with drawn swords,
Hild and Hjorthrimul,    Sanngrid and Svipul.
Spears will shatter    shields will splinter,
Swords will gnaw    like wolves through armor.

Which the young king    once waged.
Let us advance    and wade through the ranks,
Where friends of ours    are exchanging blows.

And then follow    the king to battle
Gunn and Gondul    can see there
The blood-spattered shields    that guarded the king.

Where the warrior banners    are forging forward
Let his life    not be taken;
Only the Valkyries    can choose the slain.

Lands will be ruled    by new peoples
Who once inhabited    outlying headlands.
We pronounce a great king    destined to die;
Now an earl    is felled by spears.

The men of Ireland    will suffer a grief
That will never grow old    in the minds of men.
The web is now woven    and the battlefield reddened;
The news of disaster    will spread through lands
It is horrible now    to look around
As a blood-red cloud    darkens the sky.
The heavens are stained    with the blood of men,
As the Valkyries    sing their song.

We sang well    victory songs
For the young king;    hail to our singing!
Let him who listens    to our Valkyrie song
Learn it well    and tell it to others.

Let us ride our horses    hard on bare backs,
With swords unsheathed    away from here!

And then they tore the woven cloth from the loom and ripped it to pieces, each keeping the shred she held in her hands... The women mounted their horses and rode away, six to the south and six to the north.

EDIT:
Not only that but also:
-Draugs are undead figures that in different myths can be Drowned Sailors, Zombies, Ghosts or Vampires. I'd suggest Vampires.

-One of Odin's titles is Draugadrottin (Lord of the Draugr). At the time of Yule (21st december), according to the myth, he starts the wild hunt where he leads an army of undead.

-A giant wolf / werewolf protects the moat encircling Valhalla. Fenrir is also a wolf. You can choose which of the two to set as progenitors of the Werewolves.

-Hela the goddess of the dead is half living;half corpse. Her dominion Helheim is in some myths an obscure place much like Hades.

-From the celtic myths there are: Morrigan which is a valkyrie-like goddess and the Cave of Cruachan which is the entry to a realm of dead/spirits/monsters.

-Except from the case of the Fenrir which is always "evil" and sometimes(only sometimes) the draugs, the figures of Odin, Morrigan, Hela and the Valkyries, though heavily associated with the Death and afterlife are without a positive or negative conotation. The Wild Hunt is also seen as a positive event for the followers of Odin.

You got a lot of suggestions and ideas. You should make your own mod man, honestly :smile:

I have tried to stay away from most other mythologies, including christian mythologies, and for the most part, everything Lovecraft except the Necronomicon. The overall concept is meant to be original, yet be based on the conventional, yet feel original. I think I have captured that feel, quite successfully. This is a world in which the Greek gods and goddesses live and breathe - yet there are many parallels to Norse mythology. Hades is the prime example. But having Zeus AND Odin in the same mod would be redundant, since they occupy the same place in their respective mythology - I suppose I could add Cthulhu, and God, and Buddha, and Vishnu... but that's an awful lot of golden thrones, if you follow me.

That is why I chose the Greek - I wanted subject focus in this mod, and the story sort of bloomed from there. Some of you may remember my "Blood" mod - that mod was so full of erratic concepts (literally I was adding whatever came to mind) that, while fun, was awfully hackish, and ultimately aesthetically unpleasing. It had no unifying story to hold it all together. I ultimately didn't like it.

Draugr are a good example, and I am glad you brought them up. There was a point I had considered adding them - as an undead version of Sea Raiders, basically. But there was no way to really display their most distinctive powers - like leaving deep footprints where they walk, due to extreme density and weight, and their ability to grow to many times their normal size. And then I realized that there would be the connection with Odin, and that's where the idea lost steam.

Thank you for the suggestions though - they certainly don't fall on deaf ears. But, like any artist, I have particular aesthetics I cling to, which may be difficult to explain, predict, or recognize, even to myself occasionally. Haha. I do love to see how the ideas are flowing, even though I have been absent a lot lately. Keep 'em coming, mod minions!  :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom