Underwhelming leveling system

Users who are viewing this thread

I am writing this post because I feel like character development is not enough of a priority for Taleworlds at the moment. I've been waiting the last 2 patches for a big overhaul and also implementation of perks but it just didn't happen. We still don't have engineering at all. What happened like 3-4 patches ago when they said there will be another patch in 2 weeks which will implement the rest of the perks? It feels like they just forgot about that...

Anyhow, the perks are not what frustrates me most, but the leveling system. I will not go into many details at this point, because honestly I am a bit tired and the game still isn't enjoyable to play for me just because of this simple, simple thing: leveling progression. But I will express my frustration with it. I just started a new game, I had like 40-50 skill points in riding, and all I do is buy a crossbow, fight looters, and headshot them and I gain even 4 skill points at once (and I have only 2 focus points and 4 attribute points in endurance, like, normal stuff). I've had maybe 3-4 battles and now I have 64 skill points in riding for NOT DOING ANYTHING, so basically very easy to level up, and also crossbow is op, a light crossbow headshots looters for even 140-150 with not much skill in it.

Anyway, so for some skills it's quite easy to level them (early), but for some other skills, it's. a. pain. With 5 cunning attribute points and 5 focus points in roguery, I have only 20 roguery skills, and recruiting one bandit to my party gives me a measly 20-21 exp. Ransoming gives me more, but still not enough, so im basically forced to ransom and not actually have a bandit playthrough because I receive no exp at all in roguery.

This is the FUNDAMENTAL problem of the character progression system that IS NOT being addressed at ALL. For 2-3 months, which I thought it was going to be addressed. The system is fundamentally FLAWED. They make you need more experience points the more you level up (from 20 skill points I need 440 exp, and from 64 skill points for the next point I need 2750 exp, so it not only DOUBLES, it TRIPLES. It's annoying me so damn much, because if at 20 skill points I need 440 exp, then logically you should make it increase consistently, so 60 skill points would need 440x3 = 1320 let's say, or make it even 1500, whatever, I don't care. But somehow it's 2500. WHERE IS THIS REQUIREMENT COMING FROM????). If from 20 roguery I need to recruit 20 bandits just to get ONE measly point in roguery, then after 100 skill where I need over 4000 exp for 1 point I will need to recruit MORE than 200 bandits to get 1 point, and I'm saying MORE because you won't even have 10x exp anymore, since it goes down WAY too fast. At 18-19 skill points in roguery I swear to God I think I had 11x exp gain, and at 20 skill points I woke up with 10x for no reason at all.

At this point I am writing to express my frustration but also to highlight this HUGE ISSUE OF THE GAME which can be fixed SO EASILY but for some reason it's not a priority AT ALL. It's so immersion breaking to receive 4 skill points at once for just shooting someone with a crossbow from a horse, like my riding skill increases for no reason at all. I sit STILL, I SHOOT a looter, I GAIN over a thousand of exp???????????? It's like I'm on foot but I can move away from the enemy so it's free exp farm. What is this?????????

And I'm grinding my bum off to get 1 measly roguery skillpoint at low levels? I honestly don't care if caravans and villages now magically give 1000+ exp and leveling roguery is easy if you do that. The main issue is that there is NO consistent level-up happening. You either get level-ups like crazy for doing absolutely nothing (smithing, riding etc), or you get slow/mediocre gain which will ultimately be SLOW once the exp requirement goes up to unsensible amounts and the experience gained (1x,2x, 3x) goes down. It's like climbing a mountain steeper and steeper, who in God's name will farm roguery to 300 right now? If raiding a village gives same amount of experience that it did previously, then nothing has changed, because recruiting bandits gives so little experience (3x-4x lower than actually ransoming them), that you simply won't do that if you want to level-up roguery, plain and simple. The only way this would be worth it is if roguery would gain a daily exp based on how many bandits you have in your party, which it should, and leadership should also get exp for how many normal troops you have in your party (I DONT WANT TO LEAD ARMIES TO LEVEL UP LEADERSHIP, TY).

It simply blows my mind away how such a simple thing to fix and work on is being ignored fully it feels like. Is no one else reporting those core issues? Do people just gain 4 riding skill points for shooting a looter in the face and say to themselves: "YES, GIVE ME MORE EXP, GIVE ME MORE PLS I FEEL SO SATISFIED THE WAY THIS SYSTEM WORKS"... it's just a mess, honestly. And I hate it this much only because I truly appreciate good rpg mechanics and progression and for this reason alone I couldn't start a new playthrough for 3 whole patches now, because it's simply not being fixed at all, I cannot immerse myself in this world.

Am I the only one who wants a consistent level-up system which feels rewarding at EVERY POINT OF THE GAME? (early, mid, late game). A good progression system? I am telling you, this system sucks. But they can still make it work if they want to. If every focus point gave a permanent 1x exp, and every attribute point gave 0.5x permanent exp, then at 10 attributes and 5 focus points you can have a permanent 10x increase. Then you just adjust the damn numbers, for exp requirement and how much exp you gain through certain actions (recruiting 1 bandit should give 50 exp let's say at 10x gain and only 5 exp at 1x gain), and you get the desired outcome, the desired progression. How will this faulty system ever be fixed otherwise? Or fully rework it, I don't care, but just do something about it... If you gain less and less exp and you need more and more exp to level up, please tell me, in what world is this a good idea? You simply CANNOT have this system not be broken the way it is currently. You will always gain the first levels SO FAST (GIVE ME MORE EXP, MY GOD), or so slow that there is just no point in even trying to get the perks, because the game is pretty barren anyway atm so why am I wasting my time on a new playthrough when I have to grind so much for so little reward. I repeat, I don't want to level up FAST, and I don't want to level up SLOW. I want a consistent progression that actually makes sense and feels rewarding.

Can a developer please let me know at least if this is being worked on? Will this be fixed next, or next next patch, or will it ever be truly fixed? Also what is your guys' opinions? Am I really the only one that finds this to be such a big issue? I just want to enjoy the game, man.

Also very good point someone has mentioned, with death enabled (if there will be more chances for main character to die in the future), you have to level up again once you take control of heir. So this system NEEDS to be fixed.

Whaaaat? You don't like exponential skill progression cost with increasing penalties to every skill as you level up? Get a load of this casual. :rolleyes:

Whaaaat? You don't like exponential skill progression cost with increasing penalties to every skill as you level up? Get a load of this casual. :rolleyes:

I know man, **** me. I've been shutting up I feel like for the last 3 months, and I trusted that this will be fixed but it simply still isn't. I understood, priorities, game stability and bug fixes and all that, but it seems that we are going into the "content" area and this core issue has really not been meddled with. Which really, really surprises me

I like the system. So you want to be Emperor with 200 in roguery? Well that is stupid. On the other hand i would like that you can play as bandit lord and that way increase roguery. Same for other skills. Also i would like for characters to have special "characteristic". Something like "figter" and that character will more easily increase fight skill, "leader" for leadership, governor for "stewardship". Also NPCs will play as much as possible as their "characteristic".

I like the system. So you want to be Emperor with 200 in roguery? Well that is stupid. On the other hand i would like that you can play as bandit lord and that way increase roguery. Same for other skills. Also i would like for characters to have special "characteristic". Something like "figter" and that character will more easily increase fight skill, "leader" for leadership, governor for "stewardship". Also NPCs will play as much as possible as their "characteristic".
naaa...

Its not just that, the other problem is the rewards for leveling skills are drastically lower than warband, so it feels like you never actually get much stronger throughout the course of the game. There was a post on Reddit a few days ago with actual numbers, but basically even with fully maxed out skills you are only marginally stronger than you were at the beginning of the game. I know some people might say its "realistic," but imo gameplay should always be prioritized over realism and it's just not fun to grind exp for ages to level skills and proficiencies, only to get some measly, hardly noticeable bonuses.

It's even worse then you think actually.
The worst part to me is that your skill learning rates all droop every time you character levels up. Combined with *you gain level up exp regardless of if skill actually goes up* means if you fight at all your level just goes up and up, even if you only put points into passive slow raising skills. Meaning you won't get those slow passive skills at all.

And of course the massive disparity in the rate and ease of some skills.
I think they need to split off some slow passive skills and just have another system for them, because they just aren't compatible with them game.

If the skills would all raise equally at a pace that is appropriate for the gameplay I would agree somewhat, but that's not the case. Roguery for your 1st example is abysmally slow. No matter how much of a bandit the player is, it's just as slow.
Also consider that the NPC lords have high skills all over the place in spreads that would be unlikely to impossible for the player the get.

I am not sure if balancing progression needs to be done before content and mechanics are added. Wouldn't that mean you need to rebalance it every time a new feature gets added?
I agree that it can be frustrating though.

Its not just that, the other problem is the rewards for leveling skills are drastically lower than warband, so it feels like you never actually get much stronger throughout the course of the game. There was a post on Reddit a few days ago with actual numbers, but basically even with fully maxed out skills you are only marginally stronger than you were at the beginning of the game. I know some people might say its "realistic," but imo gameplay should always be prioritized over realism and it's just not fun to grind exp for ages to level skills and proficiencies, only to get some measly, hardly noticeable bonuses.

Got a link?

Because Scouting for example has some pretty powerful perks in it, in terms of map speed bonuses

Do agree with leveling system is pretty frustrating and should be faster to increase skills. Especially when we have death enabled.

Do agree with leveling system is pretty frustrating and should be faster to increase skills. Especially when we have death enabled.

Agreed, and it's mainly for heroes instead of player itself, as Heroes cannot upgrade as fast as player but suffers more from death.

Also, to rebalance the leveling system and make late game more enjoyable than early game, I would suggest player gains MORE exp with higher levels, so we won't bump our skills too quickly at the begining and too slowly for later.

Another idea is we also get time bonus for exp gaining, like each year provides 1% more exp so raise the character from next generation would be faster to fit the game, it's still a RPG game, the character we are controlling should be stronger and stronger. You know, even in CK3 we could raise super human Heirs, why can't we have better Heirs in Bannerlord? I believe it cost a bit more to raise the next generation in Bannerlord than CK3.

Back
Top Bottom