Changing the rules of getting killed/knocked unconscious.

Users who are viewing this thread

having perma death option is alright but it would lessen the game play length,  Say you had finally bought that suit of black armor you had always wanted and you sell all your other armor to afford it. Then in the next battle you go into you hit by a stray arrow in the head and die instantly.  If the main character could respawn like an Npc with all the original equipment that you had when you died then perma death could be a good idea.  But i really dont perma death is needed falling unconsious is good enough.

An excellent idea altogether. However, with a system like this, I would want an ability to tell my character to try and deliver non lethal strikes. I'm no good at explaining, so I'll put this in the form of an example.

I'm trying to capture an infamous nobleman, and I want him alive. So instead of bashing him as hard as I possibly can, I'll try to be more careful, and hold down shift while attacking. This will cause my character to hit with, say, the flat side of his sword, and therefore cause blunt damage and maybe only half the normal amount.

The slashing/piercing damage would only be turned into blunt if it was possible to do that with the weapon you're wielding. I wouldn't be able to do anything other than piercing damage with a spiked mace, but it should be an option with a sword or an axe.

I guarantee you will ruin a sword if you strike with the flat, and also cause no damage to the opponent whatsoever. Also, pulling one's punches for the sake of an enemy bent on taking your life is unheard of. Like a friend of mine put it, "if someone is worth hitting, they are worth hitting extremely ****ing hard". You may choose not to target areas which would be particularly death inducing with your current weapon, but striking weaker is not the way to capture someone alive. With the possible exception of the unprotected head, but in real life you have no guarantee of capturing someone alive anyway, unless you successfully choke them (and they don't crack their skulls on their way down).

Has anyone ever played a game where there was a "you die, you restart" system in play?

Only games I can think of are old text-graphics games like angband and anod and the such. Which are fun, but higher levels feel useless because you can't escape random chance (so you are sure to die eventually). M&B would probably be better suited, considering you can edit your stats easily and the play at the first of the game is just as fun at later stages.

Hack McSlash said:
Has anyone ever played a game where there was a "you die, you restart" system in play?

Only games I can think of are old text-graphics games like angband and anod and the such. Which are fun, but higher levels feel useless because you can't escape random chance (so you are sure to die eventually). M&B would probably be better suited, considering you can edit your stats easily and the play at the first of the game is just as fun at later stages.

hmm diablo2 had a hardcore mode that had perma-death (it was extremely fun).

as long as that feature is optional i would welcome it.

I'd like your men to get "a big cut" which you'd have to let them get checked out in the next town within 4 hours or they bleed to death.

I think that instead of perma-death stuff. The game should have a system that indicates where you were hit, and after an XXX number of times you get a bone broken or fracture etc..

Also when being captured. There should be more things other than the usual you ran stuff. Like Vaegirs/Swadians party came to rescue you, you or a friend paid a ransom or you were released because you have no value to them etc...

Please, never make the game so that the main character or heros MUST die. An option - fine, but I think that the fact that I never need to save makes this a much more playable game than most. You pay a penalty for losing - in game, rather than in life: you lose some equipment, your soldiers, this can all be retrieved (maybe even losing your heros to capture, so that you have to track them down and get them back?), whereas in most games, death or really bad effects simply mean that you return to the latest backup.

cal, cal, cal....

the Lord of Iltrode fears Death! Pshaw! i thought Death feared the Lord of Iltrode...

my opinion is: death should be allowed, or rather even, mandated for acting foolish - but also allow a reload from last save, so you can 'retry' your tactics.

ya can't deny that there a an extra bit of adrenalin in such games as Call of Duty, Quake, Raven Shield/Ghost Recon and the type that causes you to look at playing differently if you character dies. yep, you can 'John Wayne' yourself in combat, but its not much fun to be pickled with arrows so... new tactic.

it is obnoxious to go all the way to the beginning, though. wish there was an in game non overwriteable save that could restart a battle rather than going through a hot shutdown and restart. oh, well.

but Death. Death is to be embraced, to be repsected, to be... ummm... i digress. heh. maw

Back
Top Bottom