Search results for query: *

1. How heavy were shields

matlid le sauvage said:
    it also apears to depend on what wepon is use agenset the sheld that determens how long it would last and wher the sheld is rawhided as the rawhied will prvent some damage to the shelied not much espeshaly a genst a Daine axe or a mace ouch and a good blow with a sward would just get through the rawhide. am i glad we dont use mornigstars in steel or maces ouchh it would result in a lot of broken bones  and a few bits off wood in your eyes and other body partsand many trips to the hospital. i have seen what a blunt dane axe and sward can do but the moast distructive was the moringstar (its surprising what blunted wepons can do if you give them a good swing.
    Tancred De Burgundy said:
    just some notes to Lou, not all shields would be rawhided, either with rawhide or leather, some would have had metal fittings around the edges, such as some roman shields, (if im correct, please post if otherwise, anyone?) as well as shields used by some Vikingr or scandanavian shields (not falling into the common trap of all scandanavians are Vikingr). Also, as i remember it, Guy's Morgensternen, whilst techniquly a blunt weapon is a ball with about ten spikes on it, that show was excellent, and then at camp i took my warhammer to the same shield, oh what fun that was, *coughs* i mean purly as historical research, (but, hehe, the warhammer took out some bloody big bits of wood for it's size :smile:  ) 

just remembered for those of you that want to see the damage a Dacian Falx can do to a roman shield, check this out,
                             http://www.gk.ro/sarmizegetusa/ranistorum/site_eng/arma.html
    for other images just type it to google images.  just remembered

As i understand it, there shields were built to last a bit better than say something like a roman shield, (as many of you have said, romans were able to dispose of shields after they'd been knocked in, because of the sheer amount that the empire could produce). though i know that shields used by the scandanavians werent unbreakable (well obviously, which ones arn't, but im reffering to the honour duels, where by both competators have three shields, the aim is to break the other persons shields, then you have won, and you have your honor, the other thing behind this is that you don't end up killing someone who could be a bloody good fighter and needed in a battle)

As for metal shields, if you look at the Apis of the Greeks, whilst made of wood, a lot if not pretty much all of them were covered in bronze or some form of metal. and whilst being a lot smaller, almost buckler sized some Greek or mercenary shields were entirly brass, bronze, and later iron, the shield actually looks like a type of wide brimmed hat, with a centeral bossed grip.

im sure i was going to say more, but i've once again forgotten what i was going to say.
    LOL.

Tancred.

yes rob i undre stand this (as the words i have higlighted in red i am refuring to)
  2. How heavy were shields

it also apears to depend on what wepon is use agenset the sheld that determens how long it would last and wher the sheld is rawhided as the rawhied will prvent some damage to the shelied not much espeshaly a genst a Daine axe or a mace ouch and a good blow with a sward would just get through the rawhide. am i glad we dont use mornigstars in steel or maces ouchh it would result in a lot of broken bones  and a few bits off wood in your eyes and other body partsand many trips to the hospital. i have seen what a blunt dane axe and sward can do but the moast distructive was the moringstar (its surprising what blunted wepons can do if you give them a good swing.
  3. Hot Dudes Thread

Jaghatai Khan said:
    matlid le sauvage said:
    nooooo not orlando hes horid

Too feminine for you?

no it jsut that in the girl's world of celebritys to fancy you juat dont fancy bot jhonny deep and orlando it cinda of a un riten law you if you do then you will wither away for all iternity and be turend in to a cricket or you will instantly burn besides Deep is actractive all the time even in charly and the chocolet factory(just) whair as orlando is only just actritive in pirets
    ahhhhhh
  4. Morden techonolgy

i belive the face transplant as only parthal it was the lowr right jaw that she had done im talking about the hwole face being done ergg
  5. Morden techonolgy

i know this is probly the rong place for this subject but in a way it is not as whll ok its not a subject on the past but the present/futhuer but it will one day be a historical thing thats why i have put it hear. I have just been wathing the News and an articale/discushion was on and it was on...
  6. Hot Dudes Thread

nooooo not orlando hes horid
  7. The Morning and Night thread

night night at 21:01
  8. say cheese

i think that you are a bit harsh on your self thair

hanson make me gag at least you look like an avrage bloke with a good loking gitar

i dont many to ofend you
  9. How heavy were shields

ok ok no need to start foling me around teling everone about it and saying things like any one who thinks shes a freek  then..... ahhg
    i shal eat your eyebals
  10. Something very disturbing

Skit said:
    the overpopulation is coming from africa which is very very bad...so i gues yeah it could there are a lot of orphans 2
    the other populathons is not from africa it the whole dam world and the fact that peopl are living longer it has been found that thair are a far grater number of oaps in the world today than children being born
  11. Hot Dudes Thread

yes a guy who likes deep and will amit if he had to choes a guy to fancy it would be him yes and not just whell id only chose him cozhes a good actor
  12. How heavy were shields

oh no im to foren im englih if the bablefish recomendathion was for me im dislexic.
  13. hotest animthions

yes i really am a girl from Britain and jaghatai khan is right and i accept his apology yes Matilda is a norman was of spelling of Matilda and it is my re-enactment name. don't worry i didnot take to much offence to what any one says i have had much worse oh and thanks i know I'm a freek not because of my bad spelling but other things!!!
  14. Something very disturbing

Nahkuri said:
    For those who know less about the antique probably were shocked. But in antique, homosexual relationships between older men and young boys were encouraged... but then again, relationships between young men of the same age were disliked, can't remember how strongly, though.

Yes, Knightbonehead. Old, hairy men penetrating 12-year-old male anuses was encouraged in the much praised antique.

If you went wiht an man of the same age then you wher thought to be excentric in greece
  15. hotest animthions

i am 17 how many times do i have to say im dislexic and im a girl!!!!
  16. Horse charge debait

Llew2 said:
    firstly, I'm going to assume that if a horse runs over you at full speed, you will get knocked unconscious.
    next I will say that the charging speed of a horse (in the real world) is equal to 10 speed in-game. (it will be faster/slower for some of course)

some points I'd like to make:

1. the ideal thing would be to have the damage directly related to the speed (as it is in the real world)

2. the way to salve that, is to set the charge damage in-game to just enough so that you will knock someone unconscious, going at full
       speed.
      ( I am going to do a lot of testing on this, but I think the damage is between 70 and 90)

3. (this is a very important point) the armor on a horse has nothing to do with the damage done to someone while
         running over them. all it would do is slow the horse down (all though, it might give the horse more momentum)

4. unlike in M&B, all horses should be able to knock someone unconscious (except lame ones, and maybe sumters) if they are going at 10 speed. It is not realistic that when you go charging into a group of guys with your courser (at 12 speed) you run into one guy
      and stop short.

5. Armor: the armor on horses will probably stay the same, because if your going at full speed you won't need it so much. on   war-horses it might be upped a little, because they are fully armored, and that should count for something.

6. and to counter all these super horses, spears/spearmen are going to be very important, so the the damage and speed of spears are going to be upped, and spearmen are going to have to major part in battles.

7. all this (I'm hoping) will make it necessary to have pikemen, and add a more brutal shade to the fighting--where if your not carfull you can get killed in the first charge

ok number 4 whell acthuly if a horce decides it wants to stop  it will stop  if i dose not want to trample one some thing it wont. aslo it depens on whair someone gets trampled that dertemans whather thay get knocked unconchus also if the person dose not mange to duck undre the horce and in betwen the legs this is ofcorce a dificult thig to show i gess. also moast people who are trampled buy horcse are likly to die from the shear weight of a horce standing on them causing a few broken bones probly ribs ect a person trampled buy a horch would be lucky to get away with a broken arm leg toes or fingers.
  17. Something very disturbing

people need to under stand it noting new!! and that moast things have been done centrys befor.
  18. Something very disturbing

whell homosexuality has been around for centarys take the achent greeks men of 21 would have sex with younger boys and take a younger boy as his aprentice.

this lik show a young prince wich mithology says Zeus swept dwon as an Egale and took the prince as a lover

on the back is a image of Zeus
    http://www.uvm.edu/~classics/slides/c070.jpeg

the corale represenst that he is an "aprentic"
  19. What Did You Drink Today?

tea and hot lemon squash
Back
Top Bottom