Search results for query: *

• Users: Backe
  • Order by date
  1. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Lumos said:
    Sooo... how do we make images with graphviz?
    The TTG creates a *.dot file, if I remember correctly. Then download graphviz here and use it as described here.

Sorry for not answering the other questions. I have not played M&B in over a year and as a result also lost interest in maintaining this tool. I could upload the source code to github if anyone is interested.
  2. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

RaidSoft said:
    Still waiting and hoping :wink:
    The new version is up. Sorry for the long wait, but I first had to restore my development environment for Windows.
  3. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Thanks for the hint, RaidSoft. I didn't know the format of troops.txt changed with Warband since I don't own it. Could take a few days but I will definitely try to fix this.
  4. Assignment of positions in military formations

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I just found this in "History of the Art of War" ("Geschichte der Kriegskunst: Die Neuzeit") written by Hans Delbrück:
    The Dutch under Maurice of Nassau were able to form 2000 scattered soldiers into a battleline in just 23 minutes, because "every man knew his place". Other armies of the time needed 60 minutes for a formation of 1000 soldiers. His source is a document called "Stuttgarter Manuskript" from the year 1612.
    So at least that army seems to have had fixed positions for individual soldiers.

(Btw: 60 minutes to form a line of 1000 man? More like two minutes in "Total War"-Games. :wink: That shows how much my image of a battlefield is shaped by inaccurate computer games and movies, completely ignoring the real problems of leading such large groups of people.)
  5. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

@yellowmosquito:
    You're welcome.

Could this be of any use?

The TTG can create trooptrees as pngs (using graphviz) since the beginning of August. It works flawlessly under Linux, but while porting to Windows I came into dll hell, got frustrated and stopped right there. I guess I could upload a version which just outputs the graphviz data, if anyone is interested. When using the windows version, one would have to install and start graphviz manually to create the actual image.

SWokt0r said:
    By the way, does this thing edit troop trees?
    No, the TTG only reads "troops.txt" and creates the requested output. No data in the original files is changed. But there is a great tool from HokieBT, which is able to edit troops: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,34154.0.html. (It also has a GUI, so it's not as confusing. :wink: )
  6. Assignment of positions in military formations

Thank you all for the answers.

I expected modern armies to rely on the self organizing skills of their soldiers, but not the people pressed into service in the 18th century. In my - propably wrong - impression every tiny movement was written down in some "reglement" for them. The reason would be their (understandable) unreliability, which the military leaders hoped to be able to compensate for by letting them fight like machines. I expected some document describing how soldiers should form a line and react to casualties to exist somewhere, even if totally unsuitable for actual battlefield conditions.
  7. Assignment of positions in military formations

Military history is full of elaborate tactical formations, but how exactly did an individual soldier know where in the formation he should be standing? Did he get a fixed position ("rank 4, file 2") in "basic training" or before a battle? Did he get a relative position to other members of the...
  8. What are they telling you?

@uncreative:
    There are three different types of schools to choose from after finishing the four years of primary school: Gymnasium (preparing you for going to a university), Realschule (preparing you for actually working), Hauptschule (preparing you for ... dealing drugs nowadays, I guess). I can only tell you what I've experienced on a Gymnasium. According to the media, the other schools handle things differently sometimes.
    Maybe your cousin was teaching at a Hauptschule in a rural area to get that impression?
    But you still can't talk about a taboo. Just switch on a TV in Germany and you will see documentaries with titles like "Hitler's Helpers", "Hitler's Generals", "Hitler's Doctors", and "Hitler's Favorite Toothpaste" on an almost daily basis on the largest national channel.

pesja said:
    I've always wondered, do you have to read Goethe in german language class?
    Goethe is generally considered to be the most important author writing in German, so every student should have read something from him. Personally I had to read "Faust", "Die Leiden des jungen Werther" and parts from his travel reports about italy. (Read "Faust II" in my spare time and like all sequels it was quite a disappointement.)

[quote author=pesja]
    I wish I were german!
    [/quote]
    Nah, it's actually not that desirable.
    Scandinavia is the new great role model in political discussions about welfare, taxes and especially education in the last years over here. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ...

[quote author=Archonsod]
    The US gained independence by chucking tea into the harbour,
    [/quote]
    :grin: But that should'nt change in my opinion. As entertaining as it is, military history is not as important as other aspects of history and does not have to be part of common knowledge.
  9. What are they telling you?

kurczak said:
    I have an exactly opposite impression.
    And you are right.

We spent much more time on the years between 1933 and 1945 than on the whole Antiquity and Middle Ages combined. (The lessons about Antiquity are extremely centered on Greece and Rome, by the way. The Celts are only mentioned as Roman victims, the Germanic tribes only when absolutely necessary as savage cave men. The pogroms in Germany during the crusades are directly linked to later antisemitism.)

The miltary part of the war doesn't get much attention. ("France - Stalingrad - Berlin ... that's all you need to know"). Instead we learned the structure, function and history of organisations like the NSDAP, SS, Gestapo etc. The way people were tortured and murdered in the concentration camps was also covered in depth.

The "Third Reich" is also a frequent topic in other subjects. The diaries of Jews which did or did not survive the holocaust and the texts of German "emigrants" like Brecht are read in German classes, for example. If you talk about multiculturalism in English classes (Yes, I actually visited those! :wink: ), you can bet Hitler will be mentioned at some point.

There are also visits to the remains of concentration camps during school trips.

It's understandable, but very tiring in the long term ...
  10. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Finally updated the first post and put it into the repository. I'm glad you like it. (The next step is to get it moved to the unoffcial tools forum, but I don't want to bother Janus twice on one day. :wink: )
  11. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Distractions in RL stopped me from uploading the new version of the Troop Tree Generator, which was lying around since christmas. You can now download it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/190770029/TroopTreeGenerator.zip
    The command line options are gone. They are replaced by a more powerful config file called "TroopTreeGenerator.txt", which is hopefully self-explanatory. I will update the first post later.

If someone is interested: The old version had 205 downloads so far.
  12. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

@HokieBT:
    There will be an improved version with your suggestions.
    Allowing the user to define troop classes (archer, mounted, ...) in the configuration file is probably also useful. ("Unmounted troops with guaranteed helmet, armor and boots are "heavy infantry" => display melee skills only and use green as the font color")
    The next step could be analysing the item file, so you can for example distinguish between crossbow and bow units.

The configuration could look something like this:
    Code:
    config default
    {
    	input = troops.txt
    	output = trooptree.html
    	default_color = #000000
    	default_text = $NAME$ (Level $LEVEL$)

class ranged(GUAR_RANGED, !GUAR_MOUNTED)
    	{
    		color = #00FF00
    		text = $NAME$ (Level $LEVEL$; $PROF_XBOW$)
    	}
    }

config test
    {

(The problem is that I'm currently on vacation and - ironically - the more time I have, the lower my motivation is.)
  13. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Great suggestions, don't hesitate to post more! (The current version of the Troop Tree Generator is nothing more than a proof of concept hacked together on a Saturday morning and I'm happy about any directions to where the development should go, especially from modders)

HokieBT said:
    - I had to use "-text" not "-txt" to get it to create a trooptree.txt, you might want to update your first post
    *cough* done

- long term it would be nice to have a TroopTreeGenerator.ini configuration file, where you could specify what the HTML color code for each category was, maybe a font size/type, maybe be able to define a string with some variables so you could list extra information
    My initial plan was to reference a CSS file in the HTML, which could be used to customize the look of the output. Your idea is much better, because it works for all output formats and gives more control over the data. A placeholder string to define the displayed data will definately be in.

I would suggest you request an account on mbrepository.com to upload this and maybe ask an admin to move this thread into unofficial tools forum
    I will fill the according forms this weekend. :wink:

- the mouse-over is missing some info like intelligence, charisma, etc.
    This is actually intended, since I thought intelligence and charisma would only be relevant to the player and companions. Am I wrong?

- you might want to see if you can re-format the output of HTML code a little bit to make it more readable (ie. newline char before <ul>,<li>, <div>, etc)
    Yes, a few newlines wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure if I will spend much time on this with all the auto-identing HTML editors out there. No need to reinvent the wheel.
  14. What are your favorite troops?

ealabor said:
    I'm guessing it looks for the flags?
    Yes, it does. A consequence is the well known "Hastati are ranged troops"-problem - at least from a player's perspective.
    (It's nice to see that I'm maybe able to give something back to this great modding community which gave me so many hours of entertainment. As a troop tree fetishist I'm definately looking forward to the next version of 268 B.C.. :wink: )
  15. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Thank you all for the feedback.

@dealman: You can save the whole output to a file by typing "TroopTreeGenerator.exe > error.txt", but this is of course not necessary if you have already identified the ""troops.txt could not be read" message.
    I don't know what could cause this problem, if the two files are really in the same folder. Maybe it's an authorisation problem or you somehow specified a different working directory.
  16. What are your favorite troops?

GodsHand said:
    Is there a troop tree for this mod? I would reaaalllly appreciate it if there was one =/

Mounted troops are red, ranged troops green and horse archers blue:

• Leves
      • Rorarii
        • Hastati
          • Eques
            • Roman Cavalry
            [*]Principe
            • Triari
              • Auxilia
              [*]Legionary
              • Praetorian
          [*]Velite
          • Light Auxilia
            • Auxiliary Archer
    • Lugoae Levy
      • Gaelaiche Spearman
        • Botroas Swordsman
          • Curepos Light Cavalry
            • Brihentin Heavy Cavalry
            [*]Solduros Elite Swordsman
            • Gaesatai
          [*]Gaeroas Skirmisher
          • Sotaroas Archer
            • Sotaroas Elite Archer
    • Komatai Skirmisher
      • Getikoi Spearman
        • Drapanai Falxman
          • Rhomphaiaphoros
          [*]Mezenai Light Cavalry
          • Hippotoxotai Horse Archer[*]Phylakes Bodyguard Cavalry
        [*]Sphendonetai Slinger
        • Agrianai Archer
    • Gaizoz Frije Levy
      • Chauci Spearman
        • Dugunthiz Spearman
          • Speutagard[*]Thegnoz Drugule
          [*]Ridanz Light Cavalry
          • Marhathegnoz Heavy Cavalry
        [*]Jugunthiz Skirmisher
        • Skutjanz Archer
    • Poeni Militia
      • Libyan Spearman
        • Libyan Heavy Spearman
          • Iberian Infantry[*]Liby-Phoenician Infantry
            • Sacred Band Infantry[*]Libyan Pikeman
          [*]Poeni Cavalry
          • Liby-Phoenician Cavalry
            • Sacred Band Cavalry
        [*]Balearic Slinger
        • Numidian Skirmisher
    • Hellenic Levy Hoplite
      • Light Hoplite
        • Hoplite
          • Traditional Hoplite
            • Spartan Hoplite
            [*]Iphikratous Hoplite
          [*]Hellenic Hippakontistai Cavalry
          • Hellenic Hippeis Cavalry
        [*]Hellenic Akontistai
        • Hellenic Peltast
          • Hellenic Toxotes
    • Ptolemaic Pantodapoi
      • Ptolemaic Akontistai
        • Ptolemaic Hippakontistai Cavalry[*]Ptolemaic Toxotes
          • Ptolemaic Cretan Toxotes
        [*]Machimoi Phalangite
        • Ptolemaic Thureophoros
          • Galatian Swordsman[*]Machimoi Hippeis Cavalry
            • Ptolemaic Hetairoi Xystophoros
          [*]Ptolemaic Pezhetairoi
          • Klerouchikon Agema Phalangite
    • Seleucid Pantodapoi
      • Seleucid Pantodapoi Phalangite
        • Seleucid Pezhetairoi
          • Seleucid Argyraspide
          [*]Seleucid Thorakites
          • Thorakites Hypaspistes[*]Median Hippeis
            • Seleucid Hellenic Kataphraktos[*]Seleucid Hetairoi Xystophoros
        [*]Seleucid Akontistai
        • Eastern Hippakontistai[*]Persian Toxotes
          • Syrian Toxotes
    • Macedonian Levy Hoplite
      • Macedonian Levy Phalangite
        • Macedonian Thureophoros
          • Macedonian Hypaspistes[*]Macedonian Hippeis Cavalry
            • Thessalian Hippeis[*]Macedonian Hetairoi Xystophoros
          [*]Macedonian Pezhetairoi
          • Macedonian Argyraspides
        [*]Macedonian Akontistai
        • Thracian Peltast
          • Thracian Light Cavalry
          [*]Macedonian Toxotes
    • Light Spearman
      • Sarmatian Rider
        • Roxolani Rider
          • Roxolani Noble Cavalry
          [*]Aorsi Horse Archer
          • Aorsi Noble Cavalry[*]Aorsi Noble Horse Archer
        [*]Scythian Foot Archer
        • Scythian Horse Archer[*]Scythian Axeman
          • Scythian Rider
    • Lovamann Levy Skirmisher
      • Milites Light Spearman
        • Scortamareva Heavy Spearman[*]Caetrati Medium Infantry
          • Scutari Heavy Infantry[*]Curisi Medium Cavalry
            • Lanceari Heavy Cavalry
        [*]Iberi Velite Skirmisher
        • Caetrati Skirmisher Cavalry
          • Cantabrian Skirmisher Cavalry
          [*]Cantabrian Axeman
    • Bandit
      • Brigand[*]Mercenary Samnite Swordsman
    • Forest Bandit
      • Mercenary Samnite Swordsman
    • Manhunter
      • Slave Driver
        • Slave Hunter
          • Slave Crusher
            • Slaver Chief
    • Refugee
      • Camp Follower
        • Camp Huntress
          • Camp Defender
            • Sword Sister
    • Peasant Woman
      • Camp Follower
        • Camp Huntress
          • Camp Defender
            • Sword Sister

[shameless advertising]http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,50779.0.html[/shameless advertising]
  17. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

@HokieBT: Thank you very much for the bug report and test data. I will look into it and post a fix as soon as possible.

[edit]trp_knight_1_7 (Major_General_Cass) tries to upgrade to the troop type with the ID 431253885844215163866665134079905033142143528482437284843171417686016, while I am expecting an unsigned 32bit integer ... that could be a problem. :wink: After changing the troop id to 0, the program runs as expected.
    Are such huge troop IDs some sort of modding hack I have to deal with?[/edit]
  18. Troop Tree Generator 10.05.29 (UPDATED 2010/05/29)

Now supports Warband! Introduction Many mod descriptions lack troop trees, since creating them is a boring and tedious process. Boring and tedious processes are great for automatisation, so I wrote a very simple program which creates very simple troop trees out of a "troops.txt" file. Of...
  19. How did they come up with that?

Cirdan said:
    Diet of Worms comes from German, where it doesn't actually mean the same thign as in English.
    It's actually the name of a German city. The Romans called the place Wormatia and this changed to Worms over the centuries.

Worms has a rich Jewish history, so the city decided to show this to the tourists by placing an information panel. Guess which headline they choose? ... "Jewish Worms". A great attraction for all english-speaking tourists, especially considerig our recent past.  :???:
  20. Where can I learn more about how this game was made?

Yoshiboy said:
    1) i belive it was mainly written in python
    Judging by the error messages one gets from time to time, M&B is written in C++ using the MS Visual C++ IDE. Also because of the format of the textures Armagan seems to use DirectX.

Python is only used to generate the native module.
Back
Top Bottom