Search results for query: *

1. SP - General Weapon sets

Small quality of life improvement mostly but i can't imagine it would take a huge amount to add either. Especially with polearms and crossbows, i usually have 2 weapons of each type with me, so a short Menavlion or billhook for sieges where a long spear gets in the way, and a long spear for...
  2. Recovering from casualties almost impossible in this game?

I mean the question comes down to "how much time does TW want players to lose when they... lose?".

Obviously, there will be some time lost and progress lost, but right now in the "Early-mid game" either before you get a castle of before you have significant leadership skill and spare troops lying around, if you lose you lose "hours". The auto-save defaults to half an hour so clearly TW doesn't want players set back that far.
  3. Sieges kinda suck

I mean it's a full price game, but it is early access. It's less than i'd expect for the price tag but as much as i expect from early access.

As much as i like the idea of starving out enemies as default, it's not particularly interesting to do,part of the problem as i see it is taht the castles in game are just kinda bad. Real castles would have multiple layers of defense, segmented areas, fortifications that make defenders near immune to attacking fire whilst letting them drop heavy stones and such on attackers.

Even so, you can storm a castle if you're willing to put the resources in. The real function of a castle is to cost an attacker more than it costs to defend it, in terms of time, resources, and manpower. As it stands the casulties on either side usually come out about even partially because the melee troops get slaughtered in a big group, but because the defender loses 100% of it's troops and the attacker gets half of their wounded it actually costs lessto attack a castle than to defend it.

Also, ladders and seige towers are sort of broken atm, Why didn't we build a cover for the guys pushing the seige tower? Why don't we have archers stationed on top?If i can clear a seige tower why can't we as defenders unclamp it and push it back? Where's the moat or ditch? Ladder assaults should be damn near suicidal but they're currently one of the safer ways to attack the walls.

I expect seiges will get alot of work done on them in future.
  4. Sieges kinda suck

When you actually get into a seige defense it is kinda awesome.

In this one the AI attacked with 900 men against our 250 defenders, they only had ladders and used 3 of them,i just sat on the wall picking off the elite units with arrows as they climbed teh ladder and let my troops deal with the melee fighting on the wall.

5. Sieges kinda suck

But keep battle where you loose whole siege if you fail? Please no.

That did make me laugh though. I've got 300 troops outside the keep so i'll send 3 of them in to fight the defenders and if that doesn't work i guess we'll just call teh whole thing off.
  6. Sieges kinda suck

I think seiges are just unfinished. It'd be nice to have a kind of multi-stage seige battle, so you fight for the walls and then retreat, and anyone who makes the retreat is then able to defend the town cetner, and then you retreat into a keep or citadel, and only after you've slogged through several layers of defenses you take the castle itself.

Hopefully the seiges will be expanded as time goes on anyway, as they are they're "Basically functional" so it's nota huge issue.
  7. [Suggestion] Tiered Troop Training

It does amuse me intensely that i can go to a village and pick up an army of well meaning but completely ineffective psychopaths would will charge into arrow fire with nothing with a sword.

At the very least i think upgrading them to tier 2 should be really easy, and beyond that be more complicated.
  8. Is the constant war a planned feature?

Playing as vassal for sturgia atm and my save is rapidly breaking because sturgia decided it would be a great idea to go to war with 4 separate powers in a few days.

We were fighting battaria and making progress, and then in a couple of in game days we decalredwar on vlandia,the northern and western empire and the kuzaits.

Naturally we're rapidly losing, largely because i can't personally defend both Tyal and Vercheg simultaneously.
  9. What is the point of Tactics besides autoresolve?

If i fight 20 looters with my army of 70 i'll lose 1 or 2 units, and which ones seem random.
    Unfortunately that means if you auto-calc battles you can end up losing your best troops randomly, hence the skill for your player character is basically totally useless since it's just not worth it to skip battles.

It is useful for your AI companion parties and caravans, since their battles are auto-resolved.
  10. Skolderbrotva has declared war on me, should I be concerned?

I think it's just a random event. They have like 2-3 lords and they're not overly strong so i wouldn't worry too much.
  11. Troop xp gain is too low

Yes, the solution to preventing huge stacks of t5/6 troops isn't wages. The solution is to make xp amounts to hit t2/3 relatively low, and then massively increase XP costs for troops for t4+.

That'd be a decent solution. I can never get over which idiot in my army decided to give the recruits a 1h swords instead of spear and shield, which historically would be the weapon loadout for even unarmoured peasant levies. It makes a little sense for looters and villagers to have 1h swords as sidearms, as well as farming tools and clubs, but for "Empire recruit", ie a guy specifically recruited into the military,in history they'd either be given or have bought a spear and shield.
  12. Life as a foot soldier

I found a decent loadout in 2h+1 spear + shield + thrown weapon, with skill points in 2h and not polearm.
    The 2h is for general fighting, the polearm and shield is incase i get caught by cavalry or i need to have a shield against archers, and the throwing weapon to fill the slot.

I like to put a few melee troops in a separate command group to my main shield wall,hide behind it, and then flank around the side of the enemy when the 2 sides engage. Carving up peasants with a 2h axe is my bread and butter.
  13. Mercenary Contracts

You also gain influence (which is converted into mercenary pay) by donating prisoners. Looters sell at the tavern for 5 each but you cna donate 50s worth of them and get a few influence points which should get you 1 or 2 pay scales. That's the easiest way i've found so far even if it's a little cheesing.
  14. What's your go-to loadout for your player?

I like to RP my character abit, but generally bow, arrows, 1h and shield.
    Lately i made a sturgian character which i rolled 1h, shield, 2h axe, and javelins. That worked pretty well using the shield for closing and duels and the 2h for carving up peasants.
  15. Troop xp gain is too low

Thing is, warband was better than this because the trainer perk would raise troops roughly 1 per day, even in VC which some folks are mentioned was slow.

If they made the "raise te meek" perk apply to units instead of stacks, and either fixed or boosted (Can't tell if broke or slow) the training fields, i think it would be fine.
  16. Troop xp gain is too low

There's a sharp gap between "No repercussions at all" and "Spend the next few hours farming looters". All i want is to be able to quickly get a functional army together, maybe half hour of time, even if it's not but just functional.

Losing battles happens in the game, sometimes you do it on purpose if you've got wider strategy in mind (Reducing armies so they can't take towns, for example). I just want to know whether the developers expect players to lose their army now and then, in which case it can't be a several hour long set back, or if they expect players to jelously safeguard the army they've been building from day 1, in which case it needs to be harder to lose chunks of men in even battles.
  17. Viking Conquest can save us!

Worth saying, afaik VC was a different developer.
    Still there were some good design strides made in VC TW could learn from.
  18. Title is useless

My caravans usually last long enough to pay themselves off atleast, even when my kingdom is at war. Sounds like you got unlucky.

The only real problem with the food thing is that the AI armies don't seem to notice when they're starving. From what i can tell, the AI seems to "check" it's food when it gets to a place and not in travel, so if it decides to take a long trip (vostrum to razih is a common one for south empire faction, or from balgard to diathma, i "think" the AI is going to the closestcity in a straight line so it ends up going around the houses whenin terms of travel time Husn Fulq or Epicrotes would be closet) it gets there long since out of food unless i personally feed them, then realises "oh crap i'm out of food" and tries to run all the way back to a town to restock.
  19. Troop xp gain is too low

I think folk are misunderstanding the problem here. It's not that people expect you to be able to field a tier 5 army off the bat, but losing a battle right now means going around recruiting and ending up with an army compose of 80% recruits, which are utterly useless. It takes you out of the game for several hours, real time, while you rebuild.It's a crazy amount of time to rebuild after a loss which is inevitably going to happen unless you save scum like crazy.
  20. Viking Conquest can save us!

Spears that work.
Back
Top Bottom