Search results for query: *

1. Overhaul of villages (long)

I did not read the whole thread, but has someone suggested to give each village a tribal identity? In this way, when you ride into a village, a glance to the houses and you know what kind of troops you can recruit there without need to ask.

The Kherguits  remind the European far eastern oriental armies, therefore, their villages should  be in plains with semi-nomad Yurta-like constructions and large fencings with lots of horses in there.
    _39272731_030713siberia300n.jpg

The Nords should be in the tipical wood nordic constructions with earth and grass on the roofs, the villages should be semi-sorrounded by a pallisade
    Denmark_VikingVillage01_full.jpg

Vaegir armies are a combination of eastern European with center european styles, therefore, villages should be wooden houses with the characteristic "mushroom"  first floors (wider than the ground floor)
    stock-photo-old-ottoman-house-historical-turk-house-exterior-old-turkish-culture-17088004.jpg

Swadian Villages, are OK as they are, as they fit with the typical central european style. stones with wooden roofs
    aLargve.jpg

Rhodoks houses should be a in-between central european swadian style mixed with nords style, combining low stoned walls supporting wooden roofing with earth and grass (but not with the peaked sharp inclines of nord style)
    400_F_7345780_82MyX854EdU0L6XySkyI8MeVVj2gxBEv.jpg

2. extend the size

maw said:
    the number changes the movement limiter, which i thought was your question. the actual battlefield size is dictated when you ceate it.

when the game is active, theres a little button on the map screen, down in the corner, "Terrain" i think.

open it up, change the size there, save the code for it at the top, and copy the code to the code section in quick battle.

that will change the actual battlefield size. maw

For vanilla module, without having to download python or other tools, just editing some numbers in txt files...

could someone do a step by step guide for totally usesless noob people like me?

3. Game Crashing

im having the same problem  :evil:

after some time playing, when getting prisoners, the game crashes.
    i've noticed that this only happens if the number of own troops + prisoners gets over the party limit (prisoners as part of own party??) in any case, it is extrange because it did not happen at the beggining of the game.

I'm playing vanilla with latest version.
  4. RGL error after patching to v. 1.011

I've lost count of the number of times I've reinstalled the patch
  5. RGL error after patching to v. 1.011

Installed the patch of the latest version and now the game won't load: While processing the ini file at start up, the screen freezes and a new window opens reading: RGL ERROR Unable to open file: CommonRes\armors_c.brf The file is in its directory, but is it corrupted? is it a problem of the...
  6. A riveting terrorist video

Poverty, ignorance and religion biased societies are a disaster waiting to happen. This has been a common line in humankind storyline and still is. And please, note that I am not making distintion between the different religions. Any religious extremity is bad.
  7. About the world...

<deniz> said:
    How did you manage to find this thread out? And actually why?  :shock:

I wanted to express my view about how the salt mine should look and had 2 options

Open a new thread

or

Use the search option - which I obviously did  :mrgreen:
  8. About the world...

tsuken said:
    I think the worldmap will change still, at least I hope it'll become bigger.

Cardona_Salt_Mine.jpg

I suppose both types of salt mines exist

That is precisely the point.
    The salt mine should look like a white cliff dug in to a mountain,  A line of semi naked slaves "attacking" the rock and the slave trader at the door of a small hut, and next to it the small shop of the trader. And oh! remember to turn the horse to look straight to the mine: Turning it arround each time to go there to sell a slave is attacking my nerves!  :roll:

Not far from where I live, there is one of the oldest salt mines in Europe: Cardona. It is in a mountain range. There is a story about it, saying that some wandering bandits captured the daughter of the count of the city in which terrain was located the salt mine, and asked for a principesque ransom. Soon a courier brought the bandits a bag containing dozens of cut diamonds. The bandits  released the Count's daughter . The following morning it was raining and the pirates found to their horror that the cloth sack containing the diamonds was dripping a chalk like substance. They opened the sack and found that the diamonds were melting in the rain. In fact the diamonds, as you have already guessed, were not real ones, but cristal clear chunks of salt dug out of the mines that the smart count had ordered cut to the shape of a diamond.
  9. Commanding tips

Now I only need Attack orders to make tactics nearly complete! (order cavalry to attack archers, order archers to attack infantry, etc) :mrgreen:
  10. The Dried Meat and Smoked Fish Dilemma

Dynamite_cow said:
    Nah, I think the troops get to eat things like mushrooms and berries during travelling no matter where you take them.

What I really find weird is that you can feed flour to your troops. Munch munch. And AFAIK you can't feed high level horses (courser and upwards). Bad thing, I loved butchering spirited chargers.

Giving flour to troops was a normal practice up to 1850. One of the many reasons of the disaster of Napoleonic troops in 1812, is that the retreat was so high pitched that troops had no time to stop by the side of the road to cook the flour in to proper bread due to fear of become stragglers and fall victim of cossack attacks, so they just poored the flour in to the water with wathever else they had and ....
    munch munch !!!  :shock:

11. OMFG i need 800 dark knights plz...

Exactly as a dark hole in space... :shock:
  12. ~The Hundred Years War Mod (v4.0) for M&B 0.751~ (former thread)

I did find the hidden guy while I was looking for some rest after a battle with my inventory partially loaded with the spoils of a party of Emerigot Raiders.

I did not realize of what the "present" was, it went unadverted into my inventory and I sold it with the rest of the Emerigot's inventory stuff :evil: without even knowing that I was giving away the ultimate sword.

ARRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :cry: :cry:
  13. Giant Spiders in iraq? This is crazy!!!

Those are solifugae or wind scorpions

I have seen them myself. Some years ago, in a holiday in the Tunisia Desert (4x4 oasis raid), our first night sleeping in the sea of dunes, near Ksar Ghilane, while setting up for the night, one member of the group decided to pop up some chemical light sticks and trow them arround the sleeping bags. We all fell asleep just to woke up sometime in the middle of the night when we heard the terrorized screams of one team member. The sticks were literaly covered by dozens of bugs, but the worst were the Solifugae. The hole place was packed with them. They were chasing the other insects that had approached the lights. They were very fast and aggresive. Most averaged the size of a tarantula, ranging between 2 and 5 cm. But a few were much larger. About the size of my own hand. (and I do not have small hands!) :shock:

It was a shocking and disturbing sight. Very scary. Fortunately, the native guide, after explaining that the solifugae were not dangerous, tried to calm us assuring that those were "small" and that it was not difficult to find much, much larger specimens.

We had to move our camp about 50 metres away from the lights and set again. I confess that this time, I was very edgy and prone to jump with the mere contact of my sleeping bag on my skin. Anyhow, the solifugae did not disturb us more and preferred to stay with the light sticks. In the morning they were all gone. Not a trace left.

No need to say that it was the last time anyone dared to let light sticks arround the sleeping bags at night!
  14. ideas for improving the horses

lord_yig said:
    Dazzaa said:
    i have an idea for the horses. i think they should be harder to kill, gain experience like you and and you should be able to buy different armors and saddlebags to carry items etc
    I do not agree.
    It would be a better idea to improve their animations and to allow certain trained horse (charger, war horse, hunter) to be able to attack by themselves.

For exemple when a horse has an enemy footmen behind and his cavalier is fighting another enemy in front of him.
    It is weel know that trained war horse in medieval time were killers and able to trample a footman with no effort.

It could be nice to improve the number, size, usage of all available horse.
    I'm thinking of a pack horse for exemple that could add a certain amount of usable inventory space as long as you have one in your inventory...

Right, Middle age war horses were trained to turn arround, bite, kick and all the lot when they were sorrounded by infantrymen. They were really mean beasts. They were not just equiped with chainmail or armour, to protect them. Most usually this armor was equipped with sharp tips to injure anybody near the animal, and sometimes they were even equipped with nails protuding from the hoofs.

This does not mean that horses were invulnerable. Anybody familiar with a horse, (and I can assure you that medieval peasants were much more familiar with the animals than most of the people that visit this forum) knows how vulnerable the animal is. You just need a sharp knife to unbowel the horse in matter of seconds (the armor did not cover the belly). The same knife can cut without trouble tendons and arteries on the upper part of the legs, crippling the horse.

The truth is that any knight worth its salt would never charge a mass of infantrymen. On the oposite, no man of arms would arrange their infantry in a mass where they would be a very easy target of archers shooting at maximum range on volley fire. To avoid this, infantrymen were arranged in lines (average 8 to 10 deep) with wide spaces between lines. (anybody who has shoot an arrow at extreme ranges knows that it is insultantly easy to hit a wide area such as that cover by infantry arranged in depth, but it is extremely difficult to hit a due distance repeteadly, and many of the arrows will fall short or long) It is precisely against this lines where cavalry charges were effective, because the speed and mass of horse, rider and armor were able to bring the knight right to the other side of the line of infantry after going trough it like a tornado in a village of straw huts. But the same knight would loose moment if hitting a mass of infantry and the horse would be badly crippled in no time. The training of the horse was adressed to keep the horse alive for the few moments it would take to get trough out of the infantry if the animal got stuck in the infantry lines of 8-10 deep.

Also it is recorded that all knights had a tendence to own as much horses as they could. Why? Because horses got crippled very often. Not just in battle. A bad step was enough to cripple a horse loaded with knight and armor. Not to mention battle: Infantry, and specially archers usually fought from behind forests of sharp spikes embedded in the terrain at an angle that would cause lethal damage on a horse charging the position. Also, if they had time, the infantrymen dug narrow holes knee deep in front of their position. These holes were the old version of a minefield for cavalry. A charging horse unlucky enough to put his hoof in a hole,( and there were many of those holes in front of an infantry position that had had the time to prepare themselves!!!) not only had a serious set of fractures due to the subsequent fall, but would also send his heavily armoured knight straight to slam to the ground with the full force of the charge's speed. This is why helmets and the armour on the back of knight's armour were designed to work together to limit - not to avoid completely - the vertical movement allowance of the head and minimize some the risk of the knight breaking his neck if he fell from a horse at a charge (Unfortunate actor Christopher Reeves, found it the hard way) This kind of accidents happened very often, not just on battle but also on training: A charging horse can down his knight in no time just by trampling badly on a stone.

In gameplay, I do not consider relevant the issue of the horse turning arround by itself chasing nearby infantrymen. Horses were trained to react to the commands transmitted by the knight with his kness, therefore, it is up to the player to move arround the horse.

Nevertheless the idea of training would be interesting, since the natural instinct of the horse when finding a barrier (such as a line of infantrymen) is to stop. Untrained horses could behave erraticaly and even refuse to charge, run out of the batle scared like hell or not respond promply to commands.
  15. ~The Hundred Years War Mod (v4.0) for M&B 0.751~ (former thread)

Damien said:
    Fish produced in Troyes and Amiens??

Maybe it's salted, dried fish? That stuff lasts quite a well and can be imported and sold very far away from large bodies of water while remaining edible.

Yeah! LOL once it get to Troyes or Amiens to get salted, you do not need the map to find those cities, just your nose!

Now, seriously, As offer and demand laws go, the place where most goods are sold at the best price usually is the place where it is produced. If it is fish (yeah, even salted fish) it is usually produced at coastal cities!
  16. New Total War game

Here it is

http://www.totalwarriorgame.com

Unfortunately it is everything you feared. placed in an imaginary time, there are Spartans, Barbarians, Trojans and... yes, they face monsters and the lot.

The good part is that it looks as how M&B would look if it were programmed by a bunch of blood lust maniacs with a lot of money and resources. Pity they have not gone for the hardcore game!

The napoleonic game was Imperial glory. Strategic map similar to that of TW. the battles and battlefields look great, the units too... and then, when the battle start you realize of 2 things:
    First of all the high pitched rithm of movement and attack of the units and an IA that does not seem to be much better than that of C&C. What a great opportunity the developed has lost! Giving to arcade gamestyle when they could have done a little bit more and make a game that would have been THE game of refference for Napoleonic strategy and warfare.
  17. Better battlemaps & setting spears

Yep, see enemies spawning on top of the walls and then sliding down is sort of... ugh! In fact, an horizon would do much for the game.

Player can only move in the inner square, if hitting the boundaries, Question for "leave battle"

Enemy is spawned at the limits of a bigger square than that where the player is able to move, therefore, you will see enemies charging at you from a distance.

Beyond that, the horizon dissolves in mist.
  18. Native OSP Sounds REL: Warrider Soundpack v1.2

has anyone checked wether it is possible to assign some sounds ONLY to the fights of the Arena?

It would be cool to add sound of people on the background of the fight souds. You know, roars everytime someone fells (as in Gladiator ) and the sort of.

This set of sounds would only be used for the Arena Fights, giving more candy and inmersion.
  19. Hundred Years Mod, how to remove/change font?

keeping the font and getting back to the vanilla background improves readability and the font also do a lot for the ambient of the game.

IMO the font is just right. It is a pity the background makes everything so messy.
  20. ~The Hundred Years War Mod (v4.0) for M&B 0.751~ (former thread)

I installed the mod and after playing it for a week, I have to say that it is magnificient and it captures many of combat essences that were lost in M&B. On other hand I have some suggestions, maybe some of them have been considered already, but, sorry, don't have time to look trough 23 pages of posts! :shock:

1.- Commerce goods location
    Fish produced in Troyes and Amiens?? Both locations are far away from sea. Fish should be produced either in any cantabric or atlantic harbour locations (bordeaux, brest, caen, calais) or in the mediterranean shore (Montpellier). Oil should proceed either from spain border or from italy border, so a suitable place to originate oil, should be Tolouse.
    (after crossing the pyrenees from Spain, Tolouse would be the distribution point).

2.- Slave traders are cooly located, because in the middle ages, one of the "clasical" fates for slaves was to be chained to a big rowing boat. I would move the slave trader from Clermont to Montpellier and would put another in Calais.

3.- Teleportation. Although moving in cities is cool, very cool, it is a pain that when you get out of- for example - the cantine, you appear again at the gates of the city. I guess that after exiting the cantine, appear just at the door of the business has not been done for a due reason, or impossibility of adjusting original code. Therefore, in order to avoid having to tab all the way from the gate to your destination again, my suggestion is that the character should spawn allways in the center of the city.

4.- Tournament Arenas. Brest is fine, but it would be great to have more cities with tournament arenas with different champions/characters.

5.- There is no light at Tolouse shop at night.
Back
Top Bottom