Search results for query: *

1. Captain Alatrise

the noobiest question ever asked

Trying to do some basic modding, as part of a prospective work-in-progress for M&B:WFaS. All I'm trying to do is change the accuracy and firing rate of the muskets and pistols. I've edited the module_items file with python, but after I changed it, recompiled everything and started a new game...
  2. Captain Alatrise

The Games

god's teeth, War of the Roses looks awesome.
  3. Captain Alatrise

Ways to make money

It's when you get a land holding, like a fortress or a town - or even a big city - granted to you by your king. You either get one right when you join the faction (if your renown is high enough and they have extra land lying around) or you can request one if you personally captured the fortress in question.
  4. Captain Alatrise

Ways to make money

Yeah, joining a faction is pretty much a must. But your first priority should be getting a decent set of weapons and armor (not custom made quite yet) and a good 20-40 man army. After that, your renown should be high enough that a faction will take you without waffling.

If you get a fief, make sure you get your elder to hire a treasurer, they'll get you more money faster from taxes that way.
  5. Captain Alatrise

Ways to make money

Buy supplies from villages and ferry them to larger towns. You can also buy cattle, slaughter them right outside a city's walls, then sell the beef for a pretty fair price. This can be especially lucrative if you're a neutral character that won't be jumped by aggravated lords.

While you're at it, watch out for any parties of rebels, deserters, brigands and looters. You get a small amount of thaler from winning each battle (and also a small renown boost), and you can sell the captured weapons and armor at towns.

I also usually like to pick a faction to beat on. Usually just one, a faction which is usually kind of wealthy, and raid their caravans. That can not only help boost your renown considerably, but taking the goods from the caravan and selling them can also help give you some money.

Keep an eye out for quests, too. Debt-collection ones are kind of boring, but they're handy early game because you can use them essentially as small loans with no interest. Use them to buy better equipment and hire better soldiers, then go looking for brigands or caravans, etc.
  6. Captain Alatrise

Fiction set in the Era

chargers1783 said:
    A town that accidentally gets transported into Germany?? I know you're talking about the people but WTF?

Heh. It never really gets fully explained in the book or in the subsequent series, but a part of a small town - about a 6-mile in diameter perfect circle of land - mysteriously disappears from the present day US and just as mysteriously appears in an alternate-dimension/universe Germany in 1632.

It's ridiculous, but it highlights the "speculative" nature of speculative fiction pretty definitively.
  7. Captain Alatrise

Fiction set in the Era

We all know that there's a novel of WFAS, but I figured we might as well have a discussion about other fiction - movies, books, maybe even other games - set during the mid 17th Century. I've got a short list of recommendations to start things off: The Adventures of Captain Alatriste by Arturo...
  8. Captain Alatrise

Mod idea collection: I want this mod.

A mod based on R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series would be -fantastic-
  9. Captain Alatrise

Suggestions for WFaS mods

a post Civil War Indian Wars mod would be awesome, but even aside from a new map, new factions, entirely new weapons and skins and troop types, a lot of the structure of the game would have to be changed. Playing a US solider would have to be a lot different than playing a brave of any tribe, and there would have to be political constraints on your behavior - you couldn't chase hostile tribes into Canada or past other political boundaries.

But yeah. That'd be cool if it were pulled off right.
  10. Captain Alatrise

Can't Siege Castles

You also have to be at war with the faction that currently owns that castle, meaning the Crimean Khanate has to be at war with it. Otherwise you'll never get the option to besiege it.
  11. Captain Alatrise

Did Mount&Blade: With Fire & Sword Meet Your Expectations?

The Sharo said:
    Stepsongrapes said:
    You might want to read up on the Thirty Years War, which included most of the countries in F&S.  Bayonets, formations, kneeling were all employed.

Don't forgive a lazy product with an attempt at claiming it was "accurate".

For example, this game desperately needs a fire-on-command (rather than just a fire-at-will command) so that we can have true volley firing, rather than the "pray that your guys pull out their guns" that we see now.

I know!!! I thought (I had neveer given that command to my troops before) That they would simply 'not fire' when they pulled out melee weapons I was stunned and thought i had done the wrong command lol.

It does have a fire on command function. Press F3 F2  to tell your men to fire on your command, then echo the command when you want to fire. It even has command to ripple your firing by hitting F3 F3, F3 F4 and F3 F5 to have your left flank, center and right flank fire on command.

It must be said, though, that you can't -really- replicate mid 17th century era battlefield tactics with the way the AI and command system actually works. The firing systems were extremely intricate, involving formations of around 16 men deep, with the front rank continually firing and falling back to the rear of the formation. Pikes were generally placed on the corners of the formation or in the center of wings of musketeers, depending on the decade and country of origin. The spanish tercio, which dominated the battlefield for much of the first half of the 17th century, was comprised of musketeers wrapping around a solid mass of pikemen.

It is unfortunate that there wasn't more work done to properly replicate this, but I think the game does a fairly adequate job, especially considering the much smaller scale of the battles.
  12. Captain Alatrise

B Musket Era Sound and Smoke FX Mod v3.0 up!

Great, great mod.

I work at Fort Mackinac in the summers, so I'm pretty familiar with black powder musket sounds, and especially the amount of smoke they produce, and this is such a great mod I don't even know how to properly express it. Extremely well done, sir.
  13. Captain Alatrise

Mini guide to farming renown

Vampiresbane said:
    I'm not sure if I'd call it exploiting the ai.  I can easily imagine something like that happening in real life.  An army commander follows you too far away from his supporting armies and you attack him.  Besides most armies won't come after you in the first place unless they have more soldiers than you.  It'll still be a 1.5:1 or 2:1 fight even when you get a single army to follow. 

Personally I think it's a lot better way to earn renown than sitting on your spawn chest throwing grenades over and over.  If anything is exploiting the game, that is.

In an actual combat situation, though, you'd only get away with a trick like this once or twice; no matter how dumb the enemy commanders are, they'd learn to deal with it eventually. What makes it exploitative is that you do it over and over and over again knowing that they're going to act the same way every time.

I agree that it's better than chucking grenades forever, but it's a little disingenuous to say it's not exploitative.
  14. Captain Alatrise

AI Combat Reticence

jackx said:
    The more muskets there are, the better they get. Applies to history as well as to the game.
    The same can be said of bowmen, mind you, the problem was it was much easier and much cheaper to a get a large number of musketeers than it was to get a comparable or effective number of bowmen.

Keep in mind I'm not being critical of anything. I think the game represents the era fairly well, in terms of troop types commonly deployed (and I have a lot more fun micromanaging my musketeers than trying to hire bowmen), I just like talking about combat evolution.

jackx said:
    Now, back to the actual topic, the AI is very reluctant to engage, but quick to come to your aid... so if a large-scale engagement seems imminent, it's usually best if you are the one to start it off, thus drawing in all the AI lords in the vicinity.

Yeah, I've tried that. It seems like if you engage when the bulk of your friendly lords are retreating, they won't join the battle with you, but they will if they're moving forward. It's tricky, but possible. I was just wondering if anyone had a fix on a mod or tweak that makes the AI lords act a bit more like Warbands.
  15. Captain Alatrise

Accidently Turned off Recent Mesages InGame

try checking the options, under the gameplay tab it should have a few options toward the bottom that say "report casualties" "report damage" etc. See if those are checked. If not, check them and you should be good.

Otherwise you've probably hit some strange keyboard combo which I wouldn't know how to rectify.

Hope that helps.
  16. Captain Alatrise

AI Combat Reticence

Naresh said:
    Try playing Co-Op, as the crimean khanate, with a mounted archer, and tell me that pin point accuracy, coupled with rapid rate of fire, and a mount aren't better than any musket troop of the time :p

They absolutely are, that's what I'm saying. I'm just saying that the reason bows fell by the wayside historically is that it takes practically a lifetime of training to get that good with a bow, whereas it only takes maybe a month or two to become familiar enough with a musket or arquebus to make a dependable soldier. Couple that with the time it would take to train horses, familiarize soldiers to riding, and then train them how to fire while riding, and it's practically impossible.

16th and 17th century battlefield reforms were based very heavily on conscription models, and since conscripts tended to be poor people with little or no military training, investing in a quick, cheap weapon was more desirable than going for something that was demonstratively more effective.

Even Wellington experimented with the idea of training a regiment of longbowmen for his campaigns against the French, but it proved too impractical.

Bows ftw, man. I try to keep a good number of kapikulu in my forts because they tear people up.
  17. Captain Alatrise

AI Combat Reticence

Bad Idea said:
    Captain Alatrise said:
    Bad Idea said:
    So we must re-route their fear of pain...

we don't ALL have nerves of steel.

Deus Ex?  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Heck yeah, man! One of my favorite games.

QWW said:
    I'm scared a flame war is going to happen.. but I only care about the Crimean Khanate with their Over powered bows. It's ridiculous.

FLAME WAR!!

I haven' t fought against the Crimeans too much, so I can't really speak to their overpoweredness. I will say, though, that bows had a longer accurate range, could shoot a lot faster and were practically as powerful as the guns of the time. The huge disadvantage they had historically was that it takes a lot longer to train someone to be good with a bow, whereas training someone to load, level and fire a matchlock didn't take long at all.
  18. Captain Alatrise

AI Combat Reticence

Bad Idea said:
    So we must re-route their fear of pain...

we don't ALL have nerves of steel.
  19. Captain Alatrise

AI Combat Reticence

In the course of several abominable Swedish campaigns, I've noticed that the AI seems to be -extremely- wary of getting into fights, to the point where the Swedish king or marshal will be in a fight all alone with 3 or 400 allies nearby doing the back-and-forth thing they do when there are large...
Back
Top Bottom