Search results for query: *

1. Vermillion_Hawk

What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

I think there was a time when people considered the pursuit of it, at least, to be something valuable and worthwhile. The trick was not to eliminate truth as a concept but to convince the world at large that it's not worth the effort, and that universality is a lie.
  2. Vermillion_Hawk

Welcome to the post-truth era.
  3. Vermillion_Hawk

Who of the old guard are still around?

Truthfully I'm very sad to see the forum in the state it's currently in. I always enjoyed coming here and seeing so many different people giving their perspectives on a variety of things. It's been a very valuable place for me over the years and it's a shame that the most active thread here right now is merely a reminiscence.
  4. Vermillion_Hawk

Who of the old guard are still around?

Discord is especially annoying in that it leaves no permanent or searchable record of anything on it and it usually ends up creating an even stronger hivemind effect than the standard forum or subreddit.

Happy Halloween.
  5. Vermillion_Hawk

Starfield - General Discussion

The excitement is palpable.
  6. Vermillion_Hawk

"Baldur’s Gate 3 is Causing Some Developers to Panic"

People are seemingly using Baldur's Gate 3 to vent their frustration about other games coming out now, which are mostly just scams. To me it looks boring as hell, turn based squad combat is probably the dullest thing i can imagine building an entire game around, it reminds me of Xcom 3 which people also praised relentlessly at the time despite it being seen as kind of mediocre now.

If Baldur's Gate 3 had come out in say 2018 amongst actual competition nobody would be gushing over it like they are. But its been released alongside such gamer classics as diablo IV with its insane battlepass ****e, and blizzard outright deleting overwatch 1. Gaymers are generally quite mad right now.

XCOM 3, like, Apocalypse?

And honestly it would probably get a similar amount of attention in 2018 as it is now, Baldur's Gate is inexplicably the holy grail of Western cRPGs despite the other two games being absolutely terrible, on that alone there would be significant buzz. Realistically, though, what would it have been competing with in 2018? We were only teetering over the precipice as opposed to halfway to the bottom, true, but the signs were still there. I'm pretty sure I knew Bannerlord was going to be **** in 2018.
  7. Vermillion_Hawk

Post Difficult Questions Here

Yes, fellow human, I too believe that it is impossible to determine Imhotep's height.
  8. Vermillion_Hawk

Dating Thread, v. II

I'll admit I was obsessed with the girl I talked about several posts above, but that's mostly gone and I hope I won't do that ever again. Like you said, unattainable and frustrating.

This neighbor girl, I'm not obsessed with her, I'm just trying to take advantage of whatever opportunities life presents. I don't really have feelings for her other than noticing that she's cute, hardworking, and comes from a similar background as I do. It seems worth a shot, and I've noticed that I feel better about myself even when I try and fail, like today, because at least I was brave enough to try.

Picture someone telling you, after you've already told them you're not interested, that they're pursuing you because you're advantageous and convenient.

Vader's advice is entirely relevant - don't pursue fantasies. Pursue someone who's real, who you've built the foundations of a relationship with already. Make friends at work, somewhere you hang out frequently, wherever - then worry about asking someone out.
  9. Vermillion_Hawk

Witcher netflix series

All the negative buzz surrounding this last season, and the accompanying elegiac praise of the first season, actually got me to go back to watch the latter again. I think my initial impression was somewhere along the lines of a 6/10 overall and damn, I was generous. Just terrible, terrible filmmaking overall, numerous continuity errors, dodgy visual effects, horrid performances from some of the main cast, bad fight choreography...

I busted out laughing at the big battle scene in the first episode (Cintra vs. Nilfgaard) - there's a moment where, with a lack of confidence in the audience's ability to reason and understand on-screen events, the Cintran king screams out "WE'RE LOSING!" in the middle of the fighting. Unfortunately such utter incompetence in a big-budget fantasy series has become the norm rather than the exception. I hope these simultaneous strikes burn it all down.
  10. Vermillion_Hawk

TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

That's been known for a long time, but it's ultimately on the same level as this guy right now claiming America has alien ships and corpses stored away somewhere. Hearsay, admittedly from someone who may have had the appropriate connections, but unverified nonetheless. I tend to adhere to Hanlon's razor when it comes to things like the Kennedy assassination - it's usually sufficient to explain a number of mystifying historical events.
  11. Vermillion_Hawk

TaleWorlds News: New News Necessary for the OT Neophytes

despite all the insanely scandalous leaks over the last few decades (including proving that the CIA killed JFK (something that nobody with a shred of intelligence was shocked by))

Wait, when was this? It wouldn't be particularly surprising, but I've kept up with a lot of the documents that the American government foolishly declassifies and this one somehow escaped me.
  12. Vermillion_Hawk

He's my very close neighbor, but I don't hate him. 🥰
    the Balkans

13. Vermillion_Hawk

Hussar Sabre vs Medieval Longsword

What an extremely stupid thing to say.
  14. Vermillion_Hawk

Ukraine Today

I'm sure there are NATO "little green men" on the ground in some capacity. At the very least the Ukrainian army is getting tactical and strategic intelligence far beyond its stated capabilities. That being said, an open declaration of war against a prominent antipode nuclear power is another thing entirely and it'll take a bit more before the West warms up to opening that particular can of worms. We'll see how things go though.
  15. Vermillion_Hawk

What is your favourite game and what is in your opinion the best designed game?

One's "favourite" game is an incredibly difficult question to answer, but one of the games I keep returning to and also my pick for best design is probably Mud and Blood 2. It pre-empted several industry trends in being basically a "roguelike" (although I hate that term) sandbox strategy built on uncompromising gameplay. It's an absolute masterpiece.
  16. Vermillion_Hawk

Movie Recommendations

Pretty sure Sam Mendes' stated intention for 1917 was just to show "a day in the life of a soldier" writ large combined with the messenger story. I don't think there's anything explicitly anti-war there save for the inevitable themes that will crop up when making a movie about such a disaster.

As for All Quiet on the Western Front, I have yet to see it but I'm looking forward to the scene with croissants being evil.
  17. Vermillion_Hawk

Ukraine Today

There's Blackwater, the use of white phosphorus in civilian areas, the general lack of prosecution of American soldiers who were doing (on a far more limited scale) some of the things we're seeing Russians doing in Ukraine, the general contempt for local civilians and "collateral damage", etcetera...

Don't become one of these people that fixates on Trump as the progenitor of the ills with the nation. You're reading too much from the outlets that profit from the ridiculous circus that American politics has slowly but surely become. Many of these things were broken under George W. Bush, and some continued to be broken, or even break further, under Obama.
  18. Vermillion_Hawk

Ukraine Today

It's amazing that I continue to be surprised by Russian legislation:
    War crimes aren't crimes if they're in our interests.

Other Classics:
    It's a crime to call Putin's Special Military Operation a war or invasion

Wagner Group "is a private military company that cannot exist under Russian law, and therefore it does not legally exist in Russian law"

Russian "fakes" law "...an activist was detained in Moscow for a poster with eight asterisks. Before that, pacifists had been arrested for holding blank sheets of paper..."

Now don't get me wrong, I think this is a disgusting war perpetrated by a bunch of sadistic WWII LARP-ers and criminals, but come on. These tactics aren't even Russian originals - America did most of this during the most recent Iraq War. They should have been smart enough to know how that turned out for the States, though.
  19. Vermillion_Hawk

What's on your mind?

Do they have a car? Cupholder with both cooling or heating, traffic alarm, powerbank...
    Etc.

Are those things uncommon features in European cars?
  20. Vermillion_Hawk

What are you playing right now?

but that was not the argument presented.

ser jon did not say "the game is bad because life struggles" or use it as an excuse, but that the absence of features vader was complaining about was due to missing skillsets and it not being a focus, and that the "life struggles" as you put it are what led to the developers joining forces with kitfox games and working on those features in order to pursue a commercial release.

that is in fact very nearly the opposite of what you are suggesting was said.

No, Ser Jon did not say the game was bad, those are my own words. That said, the whole "it's just (sort of) one guy!" and "he has such a hard life" are all very interrelated excuses for the pre-commercial release state of the game, and ones that have been trotted out frequently. I've had this discussion on this forum before but suffice it to say I don't find them sufficient excuses for why the game was the way it was for so long, and I likewise feel that these are things you're more likely to accept as true and valid coming from a place of already enjoying the game as opposed to the alternative.
Back
Top Bottom