Vanilla assets still showing up in mod for some people after I deleted them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lonewarrior

Sergeant
I don’t know why but a problem (and I’ve seen other modders pages report it to) with the base game files keeps appearing.

So let’s say I change all the spclans names and banners.
It doesn’t show up in some gamers games.
Thing is I made my folders (for this reason) to overwrite the base game files.
When I do this I delete the original (in sandbox, native etc) game spclans and replace it with my file that contains no vanilla assets and it works, but for some people even though I’ve seen the file in their folder on discord call it’s still showing the base game names and banners.
If I ask them to delete the file and run the game it crashes as expected as there is no spclans file.
But then they run my file and I can see that none of the base game asset names and banners are in it yet they still show up as such when the file is added back in.
Is there some kind of backup I don’t know about?
And why does this happen to some people and not others?

I even tried both replacing the file and having it in my mod folder with the submodule referring to it .
90% of people it works as intended but so many more every day are reporting this to me.

Last edited:
I don’t know why but a problem (and I’ve seen other modders pages report it to) with the base game files keeps appearing.

So let’s say I change all the spclans names and banners.
It doesn’t show up in some gamers games.
Thing is I made my folders (for this reason) to overwrite the base game files.
When I do this I delete the original (in sandbox, native etc) game spclans and replace it with my file that contains no vanilla assets and it works, but for some people even though I’ve seen the file in their folder on discord call it’s still showing the base game names and banners.
If I ask them to delete the file and run the game it crashes as expected as there is no spclans file.
But then they run my file and I can see that none of the base game asset names and banners are in it yet they still show up as such when the file is added back in.
Is there some kind of backup I don’t know about?
And why does this happen to some people and not others?

I even tried both replacing the file and having it in my mod folder with the submodule referring to it .
90% of people it works as intended but so many more every day are reporting this to me.
Directly modifying Bannerlord files is not recommended - your edits will affect other mods and will be overwritten by steam updates and local file verifications.
The recommended approach to override assets is covered in detail in Taleworld's modding documentation http://docs.modding.bannerlord.com/asset-management/asset-types/overriding_assets/

If, for example, you only override the LOD0 mesh of a particular armour, the lower level vanilla LODs will replace it at different viewing distances.

I suggest you check that your assets fully replace all vanilla LODs and your load orders are correct to override Bannerlord's assets.

Upvote 0
That’s what I’m saying, in 90% of cases my mod works for people using the recommended way of using modules to modify files, but for some no load order of any combination will work so I have to resort to directly changing the base game files for them.

But some people are having a problem where this doesn’t work, so AFTER hearing that I got them to delete vanilla assets completely and start the game (which obviously crashes).
THEN and only THEN did I get them to replace the vanilla assets with my own as an attempt to get the mod to work for them, I then open their file, see my changes are there and get them to launch the game, and still the vanilla assets show up instead despite them no longer existing.

Also load order doesn’t matter when removing a vanilla file and replacing it with your own.

You can test this If you go into the settlements file and change a name, you don’t need a module to overwrite it, you should, but in the cases where it doesn’t work for some people this is the only other option.

What I’m saying is for some people for some unknown reason, they can’t see my change even after removing the base game files and replacing them completely, which should be impossible because the banners for example no longer exist yet the game s still reading them from somewhere.

I’m only doing this as a last resort for a small number of people who it is affecting, the mod files work for most other people.

The only thing I can think of is that for different languages the game files are setup differently because in one case from a Russian player the files for names would crash when they tried to open them and the names were all messed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That’s what I’m saying, in 90% of cases my mod works for people using the recommended way of using modules to modify files, but for some no load order of any combination will work so I have to resort to directly changing the base game files for them.

But some people are having a problem where this doesn’t work, so AFTER hearing that I got them to delete vanilla assets completely and start the game (which obviously crashes).
THEN and only THEN did I get them to replace the vanilla assets with my own as an attempt to get the mod to work for them, I then open their file, see my changes are there and get them to launch the game, and still the vanilla assets show up instead despite them no longer existing.

Also load order doesn’t matter when removing a vanilla file and replacing it with your own.

You can test this If you go into the settlements file and change a name, you don’t need a module to overwrite it, you should, but in the cases where it doesn’t work for some people this is the only other option.

What I’m saying is for some people for some unknown reason, they can’t see my change even after removing the base game files and replacing them completely, which should be impossible because the banners for example no longer exist yet the game s still reading them from somewhere.

I’m only doing this as a last resort for a small number of people who it is affecting, the mod files work for most other people.

The only thing I can think of is that for different languages the game files are setup differently because in one case from a Russian player the files for names would crash when they tried to open them and the names were all messed up.
I can't understand that. Maybe you should make a bug report and see what the Devs think.

Upvote 0

You said the load order doesn't matter when replacing a vanilla file, but what if they have more than one mod with this file? Say they had their own mod they were working on, the mod tools would automatically move some of the .xmls to their new mod folder with the native data intact. Depending on the load order, couldn't a mod like this override both the vanilla assets and assets for your mod? Maybe you looked into it already and confirmed your mod was the only one, but I thought I'd throw that out there just in case. Specifically because people who created a new module from the mod tools, and didn't alter any of these files, they might not even know their mod has xmls for them if they don't think to look. If there is no simple explanation such as this, then that is indeed a strange issue.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom