Recent content by Thrannduil

1. Thrannduil

[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Lord Irontoe said:
    Ralyks said:
    st_ryder said:
    Why do I lose honor when I declare war on a faction (truce has expired)?

If i dont remember it badly, you need a border incident. I think if that happens, you are even rewarded if you declare war.

Else, declaring war on other kingdoms is not seen well, as war causes massacres, famine, economical issues... etc, so they don't want that, which is logical

I'd love to see a new quest type for kings which would allow you to create a casus belli without losing honor. Sometimes you get stuck in an endless peace which never ends. My last playthrough I had a stretch of peace which lasted for almost a full year. I was begging, "Will somebody please mistreat my  peasants already!"

I just went to war with the Empire for some reason (They started it, were friendly with me, and 30+ relations with Marius), so I made sure to take a few of their original castles, and then those of the D'Shar the Empire had captured. Hopefully, that will trigger future wars for the sake of re-taking land, as I've seen the AI lords say that's why they are at war a few times.

If it really goes on forever, maybe just bite the bullet and take the honor hit after a feast to boost lord relations against the relation hit? I think sometimes having too much RtR is a pain because nobody wants to attack you for the sake of being an upstart rebel any more.
  2. Thrannduil

Calanon's (Elacrai) shop is not refreshing?

Same here, Arrows I've bought got replaced with more (ragged or similarly bad) armor, but nothing has shuffled around. Are all of the goods considered "very expensive" perhaps? Also, probably post this 3.9 bug support topic
  3. Thrannduil

Feedback/observations for v3.9

Theo H said:
    RumbleBee said:
    What's everyone's experience with AI on AI steamrolls because they are very common for me. 3/3 of my concurrent long running play-throughs have had atleast one faction decisively defeat another, taking several centers with no sign of slowing down within the first hundred days or so without much/any player intervention.

I'd wager this is the result of the issue where poor lords get banished to the shadowrealm a friendly city and essentially stop existing in combnation with the new full auto-garrisons meaning that successful attackers rarely lose much momentum.

But maybe it's just a fluke. AI snowballing wasn't unknown pre 3.9 either.

Attacking armies take minimal damage attacking cities/castles unless the player joins the defense (or in some cases attack) personally or a bunch of lords are sitting in the garrison at the time of attack....been this way for ages.
    Completely different from native or other mods where attacking armies can sometime take quite a dent or in some mods get completely annihilated...tbh I wish garrisons would have a bit more autocalc punch.

Fierds are conquering everything, and nobody can stop them. They own several Sarleon castles, a ravenstern castle, half the D'shar territory, and they dived deep to take Marleons.

I really hate the new AI cheat for the instant full garrisons, as my lords are hurt by it and need my entire army to protect their castles until they finish garrisoning it, while the AI just waltzes in, take a castle, leaves, and I have to deal with something equivalent to one of their original castles. Then it helps the AI steamroll even more, as castles rarely change hands back and forth anymore.

I think the reason for the easy autocalc wins is the absolutely massive marshalled armies in this mod, where they regularly go over 1200 men for a mere half of a country, lategame when factions swell with defeated kingdom lords they can easily reach over 2000+, while garrisons are usually 500-700 at the very most. I think the defenders should get a slight autocalc boost like the Noldor, just not as huge. Maybe it already works this way, but it doesn't seem to help much. If it's tweaked, the instant full garrisons needs to go or be severely reduced, as it's just another straight-up cheat for the AI that just adds more tedium and annoyance to the player, punishing the player for losing a castle, but not punishing the AI for doing the same.
  4. Thrannduil

[BUGS] Support Thread for v3.9

Gorvex said:
    Thrannduil said:
    Still having the "friendly help doesn't recruit/capture any enemies" bug, where friendly lords and other allies won't recruit or capture any prisoners after joining me in a fight. Can any dev comment on whether this was an intended new 'feature,' or if it's indeed a bug? It's rather infuriating to fight a big battle, still only get part of the prisoners recruited/captured myself, and cripple all my allies without restocking them with the recruited prisoners.
    Your answer can be found in the 3.9.1 changelog thread, created by @Konrad:
    FIXED BUGS/ISSUES:

8. If player initiated the battle AI will be able to rescue/capture prisoners
    So yes, it's a bug, and it's going to be fixed in 3.9.1. Thanks to Konrad.

Awesome, thanks. I checked a couple days ago and it wasn't on that list, I was just checking it make sure it didn't get buried or anything.
  5. Thrannduil

Still having the "friendly help doesn't recruit/capture any enemies" bug, where friendly lords and other allies won't recruit or capture any prisoners after joining me in a fight. Can any dev comment on whether this was an intended new 'feature,' or if it's indeed a bug? It's rather infuriating to fight a big battle, still only get part of the prisoners recruited/captured myself, and cripple all my allies without restocking them with the recruited prisoners.
  6. Thrannduil

st_ryder said:
    Should I make all those companions that I dont have in party lords?

Only the nobles, and preferably only the upstanding, good-natured, and maybe martial lords. The non-nobles will make literally every noble you ever get unhappy, and the non-martial/upstanding/good-natured companions will be jerks and lose lots of relations with you faster than others.

http://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/Companions has a nice chart of which ones are noble, and what their personality is, along with any special troops they can recruit.
  7. Thrannduil

japadapa said:
    In siege defense I seem to have unlimited arrows. When they run out, I go to my chest, open and close it, then I pick up any arrow in battle field, and then I have my full arrow reserve again. This probably isn't intentional?

Due to absolutely massive army sizes in PoP, defender AI ammo restocks every minute I believe, and player ammo restocks every 3 minutes, only in sieges, only when defending.
  8. Thrannduil

Martel said:
    k0nr@d said:
    Unchanged. If you take wrong units (eg top mercenaries) you can have negative income.

Are D’Shar raiders and ghazi stalkers considered “wrong units”? That’s what I’m playing with this time. When I played with Ravenstern infantry and archers only I had my wages paid in full and then some. Is it just biased against cavalry or is there some other criteria?

You get paid based on the autocalc value of your army IIRC. Cavalry has slightly higher autocalc values, but they also cost a lot more than infantry, like 50-100% more. If your army is all cavalry, that gets expensive fast.
  9. Thrannduil

k0nr@d said:
    Ask them to follow you.

I did, and even re-set their orders, and they kept running. At least lords will run straight into doomstacks if I tell them to flee to a location, mercs won't even do that, much less keep following me into battle.

I've noticed the mettenheim group doing it, and the fully-stocked knights of the unicorn do it too. I explicitly hired the unicorns to help with Maltise, was a major pain getting their help. Ended up having to wait for the dread legion to attack some random farmers or lord, then sit on top of the fight with my merc company and lord, then engage as soon as the fight was over to keep them from running. Not always feasible, and wastes a ton of time.
  10. Thrannduil

Egaldor said:
    Thrannduil said:
    On another note, I've heard that the merc companies should no longer run from enemies when accompanying the player, but this is not true. Every company I've hired has run from any unique spawn I've seen, and run so far away I can't even drag them into the fight anyway.

because they fight for gold, not for honor, and gold is no good if you are dead. I bet if you were a merc company you would do the same. Instead, aproach armies at night, so your mercs cant see what are you bringing them into.

I swear I saw multiple people talking about how that was fixed in 3.9 to make them not run anymore when following, but it doesn't appear to be in the patchnotes. If any of the Devs read this, was this actually changed, or merely rumored to be changed?
  11. Thrannduil

Looking for best defensive cities and castles in 3.8

Valorshield needs something for the defenders. At least raise the wall crenelations so the defenders have something to keep them from instantly getting murdered by archers. Complete cakewalk to take, and I pray I never have to defend it.
  12. Thrannduil

All right, I don't see it here, so I'll mention it.

I've noticed what seems to be a bug with allied lords and merc companies, perhaps even allied non-lords who join your battles. If I join an allied lord/merc company who is engaged in combat, I get a portion of the knocked out enemies as prisoners and can recruit a portion of the enemy's former prisoners, and the allies who fought get whatever I don't/can't take.

However, if I start a fight and have those same lords/merc groups join me, none of the allied armies can recruit prisoners or take captives, and anything I can't hold is just lost forever.

Is this intentional? It really sucks when I marshall a few armies to fight a bloated unique spawn or 1200+ man super invasion army, lose a bunch of soldiers from all allied armies, and then am the only one allowed to replenish my troops afterwards.

On another note, I've heard that the merc companies should no longer run from enemies when accompanying the player, but this is not true. Every company I've hired has run from any unique spawn I've seen, and run so far away I can't even drag them into the fight anyway.
  13. Thrannduil

ComanderX said:
    A lot of lords are getting stuck at the bridge near Erminade in my game.
    Right now there's about 14 Sarleon lords there, and I can't interact with them or walk to them.
    I waited about a week in game, and only a few on the edges got away. The rest are stuck in place with the running animation.

Here is a screenshot:
    http://prntscr.com/iwsvfk

I can confirm this happened to me as well. The entire marshalled Empire army at 6 days in is now trying to cross the sea near Ethos. If you want a screenshot I can get one, but it looks just like the one he posted, just a different body of water.

EDIT: After half a day of fast-waiting, the army decided to go around. Still, they got stuck for about half a day before fixing themselves, there's definitely something wrong to make it happen in the first place.
  14. Thrannduil

PoP Official 3.9 Changelog [OLD]

Evvv said:
    It was fixed this patch - always was in but was broken.

Sorry, but by that do you mean it was fixed by being removed, or fixed as in the effect/value of the defense modifier was corrected from a previously wrong effect?

Or put another way, is it better or worse to autocalc Noldor in 3.9 vs earlier versions?
  15. Thrannduil

PoP Official 3.9 Changelog [OLD]

Ralyks said:
    That means that dont use autocalc against them (unless its just to finish them off, and still its better without autocalc). Double defense value means a waaay higher autocalc performance, around 5-10 times stronger someone calculated, depending on the troop

I'm asking whether that was added this patch, or removed this patch, as that section is poorly worded as to what they actually did to it in 3.9 vs 3.8.
Back
Top Bottom