Recent content by Talus

1. Whats up with loading times.

See, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  If no one speaks up, how can armagan know we have a concern?

If the issue really is one of needing better hardware and upping recommended specs, then so be it.  But if it's in the code, and can be improved, it pays to look into it.  Cheers to the OP for bringing this up. 
  2. Reduce power of attack when held too long

A lot of posters aren't reading, or assuming too much about what was said.  To clarify, I didn't say (nor would ever suggest) reduce damage to zero at 2 seconds.  I suggested start reducing damage from there.  So it very well could extend out to 20 or 30 seconds (for people who think that is good or reasonable technique in melee...), but it sure wouldn't do the same damage as a fresh, strong and relaxed swing.

Anyway, one main reason behind the suggestion was to stop having videos with gimps who hold the swing long enough to get their laundry done, but like a few others have said, they'll just continue to suck and do it anyway.  It's bad advertising for the game.
  3. Reduce power of attack when held too long

A very simple thing.  I can't say how many M&B videos I've watched where players do the ol' "swing the arm back and hold... hold.... hold... spin around a few times... charge 50 feet... circle the opponent... hold... eat a sandwich... hold.... now, release!" maneuver.  It looks lame and screams...
  4. Replay System

I'm so happy you decided to spare me;  this is truly my lucky day.  :roll:

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the original post.  This is not about recording video.  People already know about fraps and similar recording software.  This is about the game itself storing position and action data for all participants in a battle, allowing you afterwards to view the battle from any view or perspective you wish, forward, backward, or slo-mo.  It's not an entirely new concept, and exists in games like Halo3, Mobil1 RC (quite old), etc.

Anyway, armagan liked the idea, so perhaps he'll do it some day if there's time.  Just wanted to give another word of enthusiasm for it.
  5. Replay System

After seeing what people are doing with Halo 3's combat replays (playback in slo-mo, different camera angles, etc. -- posted videos all over the net), just imagine what could be done with full M&B battles.

(yes I bumped a very old thread, but it's a good idea (even armagan said so! :razz:) and Halo's playback serves as good proof of concept)
  6. Mount&Blade version 0.892 is out!

Three cheers to armagan and team!  I hadn't visited the forums for a couple of months, so I only recently found out about 0.89x, and I just installed tonight.  I've only played about an hour so far, so I've only scratched the surface of what's new.  I've had no problems at all so far, and in fact I'm amazed that somehow I'm running size 48 battles on a 1.4GHz, and it actually seems to run better than smaller battles (I used to do 27, IIRC) on .808.  The new modes and features are awesome, as it's been said a thousand times already.  I can't wait to get a new char going.  Multiple new chars in fact, for all of the things I want to try!

This "little indie game" has already secured its place as a classic for all time, and for mounted, melee, and ranged combat, it has no equal despite not even being version 1.0 yet.  I can't believe I paid $14 for this.  I too feel compelled to purchase another license, even if just to give it away to a friend or relative as a gift. 

I salute you and your efforts, oh gracious developers of M&B.  Huzzah!
  7. What do you want most in the next version? (REDONE!!! PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!!!)

More stuff in general (tons of diverse, new equipment is always nice to see - it keeps shopping and looting exciting), full Arena Expansion incorporation, and a RGL error bugfix.

Beyond that, I leave it to the designers.

Edit:  Oh!  And gore and dismemberment.  :wink:
  8. Is there a way to move the savegame folder in 0.8x ?

Exactly.  I've never used and in fact have purposely avoided the whole windoze concept of a user docs folder.  I am my system's only user - I don't need my music, documents, images, or whatever-the-hell else windoze decides for me I should want to put there, on my system drive, contributing to less OS space and disk fragmentation.  I keep my stuff where I want to keep my stuff, not where windoze tells me to.

So I'm hoping Armagan does/will enable us to do that.
  9. Is there a way to move the savegame folder in 0.8x ?

I've searched the general and tech help forums, but didn't find anything.  Seems as of 0.8x, saves are kept in the 'My Documents' folder.  Is there any way those of us who cringe at that fact can move the folder to one of our choice?  Looking through plain text files in the install folders...
  10. .808 bugs and issues

Nevermind.  :mad:

While it seems significantly more stable with AA turned off, I just got an RGL crash at a spot I'd never gotten one before - upon buying a new pair of boots.

I sincerely hope Armagan can find the source of this soon.  Sixteen crashes in one night really makes a person reluctant to bother playing again.
  11. .808 bugs and issues

This time I might really have it.  :roll:

No seriously.  Every other time, it's seemed like a combination of saving and reloading, or disabling shadows, starting windowed, and then loading a playfield and then going to fullscreen made everything work fine.  And then one load later, it might crash again, casting doubt on it all.

Well I've finally found one thing that has worked every time for a handful of game loads (so far... then again, that may change the very next time I load M&B), in fullscreen mode, with all visual effects enabled, programmable shaders, the works:  disabling antialiasing completely.

Yes, turning it off completely (not from the card, not from the game) seems to allow me to launch and play the game with all other settings on in fullscreen mode.  It had nothing to do with environmental shadows.  It had nothing to do with character shadows.  It had nothing to do with windowed mode or programmable shaders.  Or maybe it had to do with them all!  But AA appears to be the key.

So far.
  12. A bunch of small improvements and suggestions for .800

A couple of additions, suggested by someone else, though i don't remember their name.

-Mousewheel functionality in menus, you should be able to use the mousewheel to scroll down your inventory.
    -Pressing esc exits from any in-game menus that are up.
    That was me (or at least, I was one of them). :wink:

Another:  Confirmation dialog (yes/no) upon choosing Surrender before a fight.  Reason - most of the time when a fight is about to start (or continue), I'm anxious to get back into it, and at least twice since I've played M&B, I've accidentally clicked Surrender.  With a confirmation dialog ("Are you sure you want to surrender?") this wouldn't be a problem.
  13. .808 bugs and issues

Still occurs in .808.  The top error upon entering the training grounds or a fight (probably a town as well), and the bottom error upon entering the overland map or a conflict dialog.  Upon re-entering the game, I re-enable char shadows and programmable shaders.

Once again for the record:  GeForce 6800, all newest drivers (DX as well).  Happens only when I launch in fullscreen, or go to fullscreen before seeing either of the crash spots rendered.  If I go to the crash spots while in windowed mode, and then after entering them, go to fullscreen mode, it's not a problem anymore until next time I load the game - even with shadows and programmable shaders.  After a restart, I must let everything "adjust" (render at least once) before going fullscreen again.

This suggests persistent initialization problem to me.
  14. .805 bugs and issues

Still there, 0.805 :sad:

GF6800, all latest drivers.  There is some strange combo of things I can do to sometimes get around the crash (start windowed sometimes works, disabling then re-enabling character shadows sometimes works, saving and restarting with desired options, possibly), but that's not reliable.  Never seems to crash when windowed, and other select behaviors suggest something isn't being initialized properly, since it works "sometimes," and it's possible to trick it into working.

Edit:  It might be more stable overall though - definitely more than 0.803 - that build I couldn't work around the crashes at all.  I just successfully played all options on, fullscreen, without a crash.  Hmm.
  15. v0.804 bugs

Dryvus said:
    I just patched up from .803 to .804 and during the set-up, it told me my computer didn't have the required version of DirectX. It let me complete the installation, but when I ran it, it couldn't find the proper file, dxd39 or whatever, and that I need to reinstall the application. None of the previous .80x versions gave me this problem. HARRUMPH!
    Yeah, I also believe there has been a bit of a regression with 0.803-0.804, as I have problems that I didn't have with 0.800 - namely the RGL error crash without a way to remedy it (as I did with 0.800 by saving and restarting).  It's probably something within M&B as opposed to system drivers or hardware, if one moment you can't go to fullscreen without a crash, but after saving and reloading, you can...
Back
Top Bottom