Recent content by Streltsy

1. Streltsy

The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Docm30 said:
    Until the middle of the 20th century, pink (and all reddish colours) were considered quite masculine.

Red is also the color which stands out to the greatest degree in most battlefields (along with sheer white)

I guess it didn't make that much of a difference though, considering riflemen were in their infancy and smoothbores became so inaccurate at range

Oh, and Westphalian garde du corps gets my vote.
  2. Streltsy

Vicccard said:
    First time I ever heard he offered Napoleon his services. I've always been under the impression he had fled directly to Corsica, and I read only one time he then fled to Cannes later on, but I never read about any meeting.
    Though, this won't be the first time Docm comes up with facts NOBODY knows about. But as Napoleon apparently didn't see him, they practically never met and the Serie has got it wrong. Ha!  :mrgreen:

Murat's execution has always surprised me. Same goes for Ney. Multiple Marshals rejoined Napoleon, and only Ney gets shot?

Ney's execution was an example to the remaining ones

And the bourbons were obviously sore over the fact that Ney originally proclaimed himself loyal to the throne but when Napoleon came Marching on Paris he went turncoat on them
  3. Streltsy

Bluehawk said:
    Napoleon didn't even blame Murat, he was hurt by the fact that his sister Caroline put him up to it. The deal with the Austrians was that Murat would lend 30,000 troops to the Austrian campaign against French holdings in Italy, in exchange for holding his throne. At the Congress of Vienna though, there was a growing consensus that Ferdinand III and IV of what would be the Two Sicilies, a Bourbon, should be restored in, obviously, both Sicilies, which would leave Murat dethroned. His request that the restored Louis of France recognize him was met harshly and the Austrian diplomat Metternich basically told Murat to sit down and shut up. When Napoleon escaped from Elba, Caroline still urged Murat to ease tensions with the Allies in the hopes of surviving the new order, but Murat and Murat alone chose to go all-in on the gamble that Napoleon would hold successfully and the Bonapartist Europe would be revived.

Napoleon didn't even accuse Bernadotte of true treachery, even after Bernadotte became the king of Sweden and did an about-face, going to war against his former master.

Where is that quote... Here it is: "I can accuse him of ingratitude but not treachery"

Whether that is kind-hearted or foolish is up to the beholder.
  4. Streltsy

Merc Camps are the way to go

Mercenaries are very good, but only if you invest in their equipment (for anything larger than caravan troop size that's gonna cost you a LOT.) and upgrade them to veteran and elite, which either takes time or takes casualties. As well, recruiting them and paying them costs a lot more than other troops.

Personally I vastly prefer faction troops. They are less expensive, reliable, and you have access to units like reiters and hussars and what have you. The recruitment process is slow, but only if you visit the commanders of 1 or 2 cities at a time. If you want faction troops quick, make a circuit of all the towns and fortresses. You can raise a 45 strong force of factional troops within 4 days.
  5. Streltsy

With Fire & Sword: Questions and Answers

Is there any way to get some sort of inventory editor in WFaS? I came across these interesting tsar bodyguard fellows when I was talking with Mikhailovich (http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Tsar_Bodyguard) and I wanted to see how well their armor and helmet worked on the battlefield. I know that you cannot recruit or fight them, and their armor isn't obtainable in vanilla. I tried the old warband solution of doing cheatmenu-camp-find item, but that option is not there in WFaS.
  6. Streltsy

Useful tips to players

Here are some tips is have for WFaS players:

-Posad marksmen are cheap and pack lots of bang for their buck. They aren't exactly "elite", but for anyone starting out they are awesome, and even when you can recruit professional troops they can be a useful addition to your force. To recruit them, get some staff militiamen from a muscovite region and when they level up, upgrade to Posad.

-If you ever see a large group of bandits with prisoners, investigate. I have found that you can sometimes rescue very valuable units from them, even winged hussars and Swedish Reiters!

-Swedish reiters are excellent cavalry, I'd even consider them on par with winged hussars in usefulness. They are also one of the few types of cavalry that I find useful in siege battles.

-organizing your marksmen into rows and using the "fire by my command" order can concentrate your firepower to deadly levels. Just make sure to let the soldiers fire as they please once your infantry engage, otherwise you may forget about them and leave them sitting uselessly

-once you get 50k+ Thaler, MAKE SURE TO INVEST IN A CUSTOM WEAPON FROM THE WEAPON MASTER.
    There is one that anyone can use. Horsemen can use the double-barreled pistol or carbine, snipers can use the Turkish or European muskets, and melee users can get a handcrafted melee item which deals huge damage.

-If you plan on rebelling against Muscovy or Sweden, I'd suggest taking Viborg and making it your base of operations. It is isolated from all but the east, meaning that surprise attacks are less common as there is only one route to attack from. You can also recruit Finnish arquebusiers, which aren't bad.
  7. Streltsy

I notice that Sweden and Denmark-Norway are being included. Will there be boats in the region to cross the Skagerrak and Öresund, or will we have to thread our way all the way through Russia and northern Finland to get to Norway and Sweden?

It's a dumb question, but it keeps nagging me
Back
Top Bottom