Recent content by Sarpedon

1. Suggestions for PoP 3+

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
    Why don't you use one of the maces in PoP 3?  Or a warhammer?  Or a lance if you want to whack from longer range?

Plus the extra length on the blunt lance is a great addition to 3.x
  2. Ruby rune bow? You serious?

No Noldor city.
    Don't be too intimidated by garrison size.  Especially as Ravenstern, you have some of the best besieging units in the game -Rangers.  Tuck your forces in a corner by the castle where they are free from fire while you go in and snipe away the key enemy archers (since it sounds like you already have some archery skill.  Once you have thinned out their ranged capabilities a bit, have your rangers move about 15 ft. back from the bottom of the ladder and shoot up at the defenders.  (Maybe use 'hold fire' occassionally to make sure they pick choice targets and conserve ammo) Have your quality infantry/ dismounted cav. guard the bottom of the ladder for and defenders that sally down.  Glaive is a great weapon for going up the ladder, poke a clearing at the top of the ladder and blow through the gap.  Rangers are great 2h infantry as well.
  3. Biggest Army Defeated On Your Own

Brother of blades said:
    Ichon said:
    It makes a huge difference your level and equipment and the level of your enemies as well. In the start I often solo Vanskerries which can be 20+ and the main danger is your horse dying from under you so I pack long lance, 2 shields, and 1 throwing for the few of them wielding large 2hs. Also quite often in the start my entire party of companions is knocked out against Snake Cult and I have to finish... it goes much easier if I take out the crossbows first then I have plenty of time to take out the knights. Usually only time I get hit is running into tree, horse, or map edge.

Later in the game I've attacked bandit infested villages and eliminated 50+ by myself and could probably do much more if I had enough ammo and stood on roof they couldn't reach. Even long polearm would work if I had the patience to stand there for 40 minutes and take them one by one. In the right situation you can kill almost forever unless fighting good missile troops.

yh i rember taking on a 20+ red brother hood i lost simply beacuse of the 4 guys with cross bows on horses :S when your just about to hit them they decided to shoot you :sad:

And you could esential fight endlesly against bandits with a polerarm just picking of the group but the real challenges is the knights :S and the rogue adventure companys oh they were a nightmare on my sarelon trade routs  :evil:

I find red brotherhood very challenging in the early game -fast mounted crossbowmen are your worst enemy in the early game, they tear apart your horses and just wreak havoc on your slow cav. or infantry.
  4. Biggest Army Defeated On Your Own

I have to say Vanskerries as well.  You can take a pretty big group 30-40 with an xbow, long lance, shield.  Try to pick off the archers at long range. (Hint: use slopes so their archers can't shoot you because their buddy is in the way but you can still get to them) If you can isolate a few archers, then go in with the lance, you and your horse should be able to sustain a few arrows) Then ride fast, long circles to exhaust their javelin and throwing ax ammo and then pick through them very conservatively with the lance, one swing with the two handed ax on your horse and you are SOL.
    That said, I have had HUGE kills against brouhaha and vanskerry armies, but have eventually succumbed.
  5. Ruby rune bow? You serious?

True, Rune Ruby bow makes Odysseus's bow look like it came from a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, not for the feint of stats.
  6. Suggestions for PoP 3+

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar said:
    There isn't.  His objection is based on the fact that I thought he would not be suited to objecting to looting caravans, or robbing villages or villagers and likely would not care if player did not complete a quest.  That left running away from battle.
    What characteristics can be assigned under "objections" is VERY limited by the game.

That makes sense, sort of a process of elimination.  One day this could be a place for greater companion differentiation (ie Diev is greatly perturbed if you decide to tax the residents of a dominion for a lord etc. -or pleased if you let up and only collect half) Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Guess I will just have to keep that loveable coward Ansen close at hand, we're at BFF status with all the retreating I have been doing...
  7. Where to start a Kingdom?

Griefer said:
    Sarpedon said:
    Poinsbruck is my traditional favorite.  You instantly have solid Knight order, an isolated corner of the map, plus you can make a lot of cash since that spot is a bottleneck for all sorts of caravans and P tends to be raher prosperous anyway.  There are isolated villages, not prone to being raided and a couple of close-by castles.  Train up your ranger core and then have at it.

QFT.

Poinsbruk is the most difficult to take city in the game, bar none. Crenelated walls that help protect its archers from ranged fire. A narrow ladder up between two walls (exposing you to fire on three sides) leading up to a narrow opening between crenelations, onto a narrow parapet.  A retarded Armed Peasant could defend Poinsbruk with four drunken farmers and a crippled nun. You get a powerful Knight Order and have a couple of castles close by that you can take and put your own Orders in if you want. Easily defensible area, close to the Jatu who are the best possible source of instant-army (2-20 man Jatu groups leading prisoner trains of 40-200 prisoners) and just like he said, a narrow passage for caravans to raid.
    Excellent articulation,
    Great points on Jatu prisoner trains and the iteration on the actual defensive plan of the place.
    Plus if you are at war with Vanskerries, Empire, D'shar (and sometimes even Sarleon will do this) their war parties have to come all the way through Ravenstern or Sarleon lands to attack you, that means if they are at war with Sarleon or Ravenstern, their forces will likely be depleted or scattered by the time they reach you.  Of course, you still have to deal with Ravenstern launching attacks, but if you are good at kiting the smaller lord parties from the main warband and dividing and conquering that way, you can make TONS of money churning out Ravenstern lords for ransom. 
  8. CONTEST! Screenshots that make SD & the Dev Team laugh!

MadVader said:
    akuthia said:
    Ansen, the crossdresser (not, this is autoloot, not something i equipped him with myself!)

Lol, Ansen may not be much of a warrior, but will make some real warrior very happy one day...

"I just feel so free..."
  9. Suggestions for PoP 3+

With Leth, does anyone else find it odd that he finds it abhorrent to run away/retreat??  Isn't an assassin, by definition, an opportunist?  Also, Elves who don't run away?  Any forest-based warfare is pretty much based on guerilla tactics. 
  10. Where to start a Kingdom?

Poinsbruck is my traditional favorite.  You instantly have solid Knight order, an isolated corner of the map, plus you can make a lot of cash since that spot is a bottleneck for all sorts of caravans and P tends to be raher prosperous anyway.  There are isolated villages, not prone to being raided and a couple of close-by castles.  Train up your ranger core and then have at it.
  11. Best Mercenary Companies

Oh man, I was all about that in 2.x of PoP.  Have not had enough tiem to play 3.x yet.  But yes DG's aren't too tough to train up from the initiates, and are holy terrors. 
    You have managed a pretty impressive number there, kudos.  I would keep about 6-12 in a castle and only bring them out when I really needed them.
  12. Best Mercenary Companies

Ãbyss said:
    Seriously,who uses empire knights let alone start a crusade to modify them? Get empire armored crossbowmen and have a blast...

~Ãbyss

+1
    It all comes down to faction advantages and disadvantages, play to your own strengths and exploit enemy weakness.  Empire has mean pikemen to guard the powerful xbows and cavalry is at best a supporting/harassing role.  It fits with their legion-based warfare system.
  13. Crossbows... why so damn accurate?

Tuidjy said:
    And King Edward III is often quoted to have said "If you want to train a longbowman, start with his grandfather". 

Great quote. 

I am not trying to be hyper-critical, just wary.  The world record now (where we have steroids, actual nutrition, sanitation etc.) is 200 lbs. and your friend sounds like quite a specimen, but saying he was the norm back in the age of 5'4 people, infant mortality and famine doesn't sound too plausible, no matter how much people are practising.
    The other thing the game does not account that I always wish was corrected for is hitting a moving cavalryman perpindicularly as he is riding across your field of view.  While it does make an excellent and satisfying shot.  An arrow fired at an armored,  galloping horseman and striking from the side seems like it would just glance off.  The horse might be a bit less lucky, but I have been slain more than a few times in that manner.
  14. Crossbows... why so damn accurate?

Is anyone else raising an eyebrow at mongols or whoever firing 200 arrows from a 200 lb. bow in a single battle.  First off arrows are expensive, second, 200 arrows are a little bulky to carry around.  So a mongol army of 1000 horsemen fire... 200,000 arrows?  Scrappy little mongol horsemen did not side-ways bench press 200 lbs. (the current world record, right?) from the saddle 200 times from their bow made out of sticks and horn and glue.  You sound like Homer relating Ajax throwing the boulder at Hector at the Greek wall.

A Footman with a giant longbow launching a dozen arrows from the ground after a lifetime of practice, that works for your example, by hyperbolizing it to mythic proportions you blunting your purpose.

That said, I do really enjoy the perspective you are giving.  Very interesting and I appreciate the direct experience you can relate.
  15. CONTEST! Screenshots that make SD & the Dev Team laugh!

Lord Kinlar said:
    Money is no longer a problem for me in Pendor. Found a sponsor for my campaign.

mb3dv.jpg

Some of my campaign slogans...

The first thing you should ask the enemy: "Sigismund wears Adidas, do you?"

Sigismund : "Wear Adidas... or die!"

Julia : "I love my Adidas battle gear! Can't live without them!"

Ansen : "I prefer Adidas shields, fast and durable."

Diev : "With my Adidas gear, I never miss a target."

:mrgreen:

:lol:That's pretty funny.
Back
Top Bottom