Recent content by remorse

1. Defending against sieges

The AI won't assault unless it has a strong advantage in autoresolve, and siege autoresolve is generally much more favorable to defenders than actually playing out the battle.
    So any siege the AI will attempt is very unlikely to be winnable manually.
  2. Why is it so lagged?

How can a technical noob know when it's the RAM and when it's the processor? I can't alt-tab and check the task manager, right?
    You can, since this game doesn't have any mechanism to detect when it's minimized and lower resource usage.
    You can also set it to borderless window to make alt-tabbing faster.
    If you see it running slowly, alt-tab out, and task manager says your CPU is maxed out, then your problem is the CPU.
    If it says it's only like 60% then it's not the CPU.
    Pretty simple.

RAM/disk is a little harder. If task manager says your RAM is full, that's an obvious hint. Make sure to check with everything else closed because programs like Chrome can eat a lot of RAM.

If you want to really know for sure what's going on, you can use Performance Monitor, a Windows tool, get it here if it's not already installed:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
    Right click the graph --> add counters --> add stuff to look at, most importantly page reads/sec (scale to 1.0) and disk read bytes/sec (scale to 0.000001 ie megabytes)
    Both those measures should be low during gameplay (reads below 100-200/sec, bytes below 25-50mb/sec) and only spike during loading screens or rarely at random. If they're consistently too high or spiking too often then you know for sure the game needs more RAM than you have.

Anyway that's probably more complicated than you want, the simple rule is that this game does best with 16 gb of RAM right now.
    Another rule: the less RAM you have, the more important your disk is. With 32 gb of RAM, disk usage is very low. With 8 gb it will be fairly high.
  3. Developer communication request - weekly short dev diaries

I think something along the lines of Factorio's Friday Facts would be ideal for Bannerlord and Taleworld's general pace and style.
  4. SP - Player, NPCs & Troops New interesting factions

We do have these guys

MIZICcZ.jpg
  5. So they took Mexxico down

Some people around here need to relax :lol:
  6. Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

And for the record, i'm not trying to make Callum's life harder, but in all honestly, since we hardly get any communication from Taleworld's about what direction the game is going, i'm glad I stumbled upon this little comment and posted it.

I still think you're turning an offhand comment into something it's not.
    But I suppose this is Callum's fault too.
    If the "community manager" makes one post every 3 months, can I really blame you guys for treating it like a mission statement on the direction of the game?
  7. Snow-balling version 1.4.2. I'm starting to think its not an accident.

It still seems like many parts of the game are being balanced for 20+ year campaigns.
    Smithing unlock rate, skill progression, economy, relation gain with notables, village/town growth rate, etc all seem to be done with a very long timeframe in mind.

I noticed that both of them were only at war with the factions they started at war with until they lost a few territories. As soon as that happened then anyone and everyone declared war on them until they were gone.
    This is a big factor in killing off factions early. It's less noticeable now after war frequency was dropped down (and after the truce period was readded) but I still think they should tone down the strength bias in the algorithms.
  8. Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

Threads like this, where you call attention to a dev's stray comment and pick it apart word by word, is a surefire way to get the devs to stop talking to us at all. Today's the first time in weeks that Callum has interacted on the forums except to post the patch notes and now his words are being used against him. Why would any dev talk candidly to us if this is this is how they get treated?
    Was going to say the same thing.
    This reaction is nuts.
    At least give him the benefit of the doubt, please.
    It's just a casual comment, not a ****ing mission statement.
  9. Tactical decisions on the battlefield should play a bigger role in deciding the tide of battle

The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there. The video in the OP is great, and I think that it is awesome that people are making these types of mods and that the game supports them, even at this early stage, but I think that something along those lines would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much, ultimately detracting from the fast-paced action and gameplay.
    It shouldn't play like an RTS, but melee combat in formation should be supported better for the benefit of both the vanilla game and the people who want Total War: Bannerlord.
    Shieldwalls, to start with.

I think it's clear at least some of the developers agree with this given how much emphasis was put on shieldwall combat in some devblogs, lore, a promo video i'm pretty sure existed but i can't find right now, etc, the existence of an entire faction (Sturgia) based around such combat, and a hotfix that attempted to improve the current situation a little (https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/344).

But right now trying to fight in a shieldwall is still pretty futile. Troops can't hit the enemy since they block each other, most troops don't attack since they know that they're blocked, the front ranks hold their shields up permanently instead of attacking in openings, polearm users should be great from behind the shields but can't attack, recruits without shields wrongly stand in the front row, telling them to charge breaks the wall, etc.

Formations need some work.
  10. What skill trees should be worked on next?

Eager for more javelins.
  11. I don't think math works this way TW

FYI I think the random seed is fixed, so you can savescum over and over and if you do the same actions in the same order, it will get the same result.
    If the seed says the 70% roll will fail, it will fail even if you reload and try 1000 times. You have to do something different like pick other options, run around the map and do stuff for a little while, etc.
    Some games have an option for resetting the seed after loading to make savescumming easier (like XCOM).
  12. In Progress [NSFW] Please fix characters exposing their genitals in certain dresses

I mean... I don't think it would be any better if it was a dude, if that's what you are going for :smile:
    What, you don't want to be a True Battanian under that kilt?
  13. In Progress [NSFW] Please fix characters exposing their genitals in certain dresses

Unfortunately this is why most developers are too afraid to render an actual female body under clothes. God forbid anyone sees it, how horrifying! :rolleyes:
  14. !.42

In Bannerlord you're not a real mercenary:you're more like a privateer.
    You're not getting paid to go here and there and do this and that, you're attacking their enemy for fun and profit.
  15. Should the leadership skill provide passive XP gain for troops?

If it's a choice between perks or leadership skill: leadership skill is probably better.
    Especially now that they've given the AI passive xp gain without a perk. Much cleaner to just make it a function of leadership for everyone.
    And it makes sense for it to scale (level 200 lord > level 25 lord).
    Perks have other roles to play: for example boosting the rate for particular units.
Back
Top Bottom