Recent content by Random Peasant

1. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

MadocComadrin said:
    @Peas: I wanted to be sure about which specific areas you are talking about. Here's what I've seen, it may or may not match your experience:

The smith side spawn has a protected area (the smithy) that denies some coverage to the center area. It's safe, but it's not the best spot for archery--it could probably be rearranged to be less cluttered. They also have the small stairway-house, which provides some protection. The other spawn has the barrel house, which is less protective than the smithy, but allows for more archer coverage to the center areas. This spawn can reach the middle slightly faster, as one of its corners is cut. It also has the small green space to the left, which also protects against cav but not so much against archers. Does this agree or disagree with your experience? Do you have any suggestions for the map?

For clarity: Superior spawn = grassy area spawn. Lesser spawn = smithy spawn.

It takes roughly 3-4 seconds more (on foot) for the smithy spawn to reach the middle. The smithy spawn is also less protected when coming out to get to the middle. This gives the grassy area spawn early shots and freedom of movement to take control of 2/3 MOTFs right away. The smithy area itself is fine, but since there is no way to truly utilise the wall for counter-archery--and I'm not saying there should be--it is not a very good place to be. This makes it so the only true and safe place for the smithy spawn to go is down the alley to the right, because that is where their MOTF is.

Due to the symmetrical nature of the map it would only make sense if both spawns had an equal amount of freedom of movement. This is not currently the case.

MadocComadrin said:
    Peas said:
    It has always been my understanding, and I could be wrong about this to begin with, that MOTFs are in place to punish or prevent excessive camping.
    I agree and disagree. MoTFs should be things that both create and limit tactical options creatively. If the maps lends itself for MoTFs to punish camping, then so be it. The MoTF could also make the fight for position much more important. Given the randomness of MoTF spawns, you're most often going to have one team have an advantage. I like to tailor that advantage to give the unlucky team options: here's a somewhat relevant quote of mine.
    The problem is that the placement of this map's MOTFs doesn't lend itself to create "fights for position", it lends itself to both teams just waiting to get lucky, and once the MOTFs pop there's a 2/3 chance that one team is going to have to smash its face into a heavily guarded area, almost guaranteeing the lucky team's win.

The MOTFs are probably the biggest problem for this map. They are campy, as I've said. It would probably be better if the MOTFs were more centralised: either all in the middle stables/market area (a single MOTF spawn would be a pretty interesting change), or cutting the map in half with one MOTF in the central alley "pocket" area, one in the stables/market area, and possibly leaving the last behind the middle building/church area where it currently is. This would make it so that if the fight lasts so long that a MOTF pops, both teams have the opportunity to fight on equal grounds.
  2. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

RoBo_CoP said:
    Random Peasant said:
    That's between him and Zero.

Given that he's responding to messages that are intended for you, a member of your clan, and on the exact same topic, I would say you're obligated to smack Zero if he's going to hinder any effort to get the map fixed.
    Are you serious? What, is Zero some kind of dog to you? He's an adult. He can make his own choices and do as he likes. Consequence is at the discretion of the administrative team of this forum.

RoBo_CoP said:
    Random Peasant said:
    Regardless I'll probably go through the trouble of providing images should I feel compelled to critique any other maps.

Victory achieved. Carry on boys. Goodluck with the map.
    There is no victory here for you. You really have provided nothing of value to this discussion and I will kindly ask you to simply sit out of further discussion if all you're going to do is chime in to be offended on someone else's behalf. My intention to provide images upon my next critique was established long before you said anything.
  3. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

RoBo_CoP said:
    Random Peasant said:
    How not? I clearly described each spawn by the directions they can travel in, since both spawns can only travel in two directions. Would you like me to draw up a diagram?

Yes, I am saying it's passive aggressive. How is that NOT passive aggressive? Combined with that tone and how Zero is going about it, I'd be insulted.
    Considering he's the first person to say he was unable to make sense of what I was saying I pointed out the important information to try and help him along. If that fails to help then I offer to literally draw it out for him. How is that passive aggressive? Whatever Zero says has no impact on what I say. That's between him and Zero.

RoBo_CoP said:
    To be honest, your initial complaint of the map was vague and uninformative for the most part. When it comes to making a complaint and expecting a legitimate response and action, you literally need to draw up a diagram. Show some screens and effectively express how the map is unbalanced with appreciation of what ever he may reply.
    Again, him being the first person to say he failed to grasp what I was saying, I didn't see the need to provide images. The map itself is quite simple in design, so I also resent that you claim what I said was somehow vague and especially uninformative--on the contrary I was being rather detailed and provided plenty of perspective terms.

For example:
    One spawn is obviously superior to the other, giving that spawn two good and safe options to move: left and center
    How is this vague? You immediately know which spawn I am referring to as the superior spawn, since there is only one spawn that can move left and center. The rest simply falls in line with that.

Regardless I'll probably go through the trouble of providing images should I feel compelled to critique any other maps.
  4. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

RoBo_CoP said:
    I heard the best way to speak to people is to be as passive aggressive as possible...
    Are you trying to say my response is passive aggressive? If so, I would have to say that's incorrect. If not, then disregard.
  5. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

MadocComadrin said:
    but I can't divine which spawn he's talking about for which side.
    How not? I clearly described each spawn by the directions they can travel in, since both spawns can only travel in two directions. Would you like me to draw up a diagram?

John7 said:
    If Driecksdorf is considered bad, then god only know what you would call the rest of the crap we allow into competitve
    I dislike the vast majority of "competitive" custom maps that I have seen thus far. The campy MOTF placements on a lot of them are one of my biggest gripes. In fact, if the campy MOTF placements on them were fixed I would probably turn over and start to like most of the maps.

Reveran Village and Frosty Battle are the only decent maps I've come across that I can immediately think of. Both have flaws, but those flaws are manageable. There are probably more decent maps that I've either forgotten or have yet to play on.
  6. [CoMP] Competitive Map Pack - New Thread!

This is sad.

I don't normally care to weigh in on community drama, I really don't, but this community has gone so far off the deep end that I actually feel compelled to say something--anything. However, instead of a rant, I'll just stay on point with the thread. I'll preface and say that the following is my personal opinion and nothing more.

Dreieksdorf has got to be one of the worst maps I have ever been forced to play on.

The spawns are uneven--and I'll use the term uneven rather than unbalanced because the latter tends to stir those with less composure into a rage. One spawn is obviously superior to the other, giving that spawn two good and safe options to move: left and center (and by center I refer to the 'middle' MOTF area). The other spawn only realistically has one--that being right--as its logical center option is less protected than the opposing spawn's. I could be wrong, but I also believe it takes longer for the lesser spawn to reach the center anyway, if only by a fraction, but long enough to give the opposing spawn an advantage.

The MOTFs are poorly placed. It has always been my understanding, and I could be wrong about this to begin with, that MOTFs are in place to punish or prevent excessive camping. The MOTF spawns on Dreieksdorf do the exact opposite of that. They encourage and reward camping. In fact, MOTF camping is the only acceptable strategy useable on Dreieksdorf in the current state of the NA scene, which is a terrible monster of a different topic entirely. Any other strategy is easily shut down or punished because of the no-man's-land of a middle area this map has. Why do anything other than go to your spawn's respective MOTF spawn and wait for that 1/3 gamble? I mean, sure, you could crunch it out in the middle or skirmish at the center MOTF, but why, really? Why take the unnecessary risks when this map rewards you so much for just camping instead?

A lot of these custom maps are guilty of this campy MOTF placement, actually. One could argue that a few Native maps are as well, but when you compare them to maps like Dreieksdorf you gain a new appreciation for the slightly-more-thoughtful placement of Native map MOTFs. On Ruins, for example, the MOTFs dot the map in a rough line. A team can move to control one of at least two of the MOTFs relatively simply with skirmishes happening along the way. Camping happens, yes, but a team can usually do something about it when it does, unlike on Dreieksdorf. Mostly the same can be said for Field by the River, albeit with one MOTF spawn being... less than desirable; the other two MOTF spawns are decent.

In summary: I believe Dreieksdorf is, in its current state, a terrible map for competitive play. The spawns are uneven, the MOTF spawns are campy, and I feel it does not lend itself to any kind of advanced strategical play.
  7. Balion Mercenaries - Official Clan Thread 2.0

Mad Dawg said:
    Bring me the head of a pig on a platter, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing.  If you bring me another cold fish head and spork...it'll be your head on a platter.
    you got it

akTBPAA.png
  8. Balion Mercenaries - Official Clan Thread 2.0

* Mad Dawg gestures!
    * Peasant shudders and begins to move!

what
  9. Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Apologies if this is more of a "how do" than a question, but, is it possible to change the "Deaths" column in multiplayer to accumulate a score instead? My intention is to have a score column that replaces deaths and lists the number equivalent to the damage dealt by a player to enemies minus team damage and loss of HP.
  10. [M] Progressive Native Mod (ProMod v1.4.5)

ProMod v1.4.5 released.

Made the OP more digestible.
  11. [M] Progressive Native Mod (ProMod v1.4.5)

ProMod v1.3

has been released.
  12. [M] Progressive Native Mod (ProMod v1.4.5)

Slytacular said:
    I was suggesting before to create entirely new factions and distribute different equipment. That is why I commented on here.
    Why would you suggest this? The very first paragraph of the thread states:
    Random Peasant said:
    Another focus of this mod was to keep things Native.

My mod changes the dynamics for all of the Native factions as it is--new weapons and armours, slightly different strengths and weaknesses, and so on.

There are dozens of mods on this board that create entirely new factions. Mine deals with Native factions.

Play the mod, understand the mod, then voice an opinion. Otherwise you might as well be spamming.
  13. ProMod (Fridays!)

Random Peasant said:
    ProMod Fridays!

Want to try out ProMod but always find the servers empty? You're in luck! From here on out, Fridays will be the days to play.

Starting at 8:00pm EST sharp I will be on USA_East_ProMod to get the ball rolling.

Be sure to grab the latest version!

That includes today.
  14. Balion Mercenaries - Official Clan Thread 2.0

.... That makes me wonder how many emoticons on this forum have been hidden links this entire time.
  15. Balion Mercenaries - Official Clan Thread 2.0

Balion-Romans said:
    Interesting and free - http://www.unrealworld.fi/urw_screenshots.html
    I'm glad you like it. I can't tell you how many weeks I've sunk into that game.

Balion-Romans said:
    ruined my day.
Back
Top Bottom